“Le Blanc v. The Royal”

Ranked #1 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Tucson
“Le Blanc v. The Royal”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I traveled to The Royal two years ago and Le Blanc this week for my honeymoon. There were many wonderful things about Le Blanc:

Pros:
• The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are beautiful. The hotel looked freshly painted and incredibly clean. I’m amazed that they can keep this hotel so white!
• The bedding and towels are incredibly soft and wonderful.
• The swim up bar is awesome. You can order food at the bar, which I didn’t know until the last day.
• The spa hydrotherapy treatment is free. This was something you would have to pay for at another resort. It’s about an hour of saunas, Jacuzzis, cold showers, etc. alternating in some sort of specific order. I just thought it felt nice.
• People provided good customer service and were very attentive. They called me by my correct name throughout the trip. They pushed the elevator button for me when I had my hands full. They remembered what I ordered and refilled my drinks right away. When we went for a walk outside the hotel, someone greeted us at the door with water bottles when we came back. There was attention to customer service at multiple points.

Cons:
* Timeshare. When we checked in, there were two stops: the check in desk and then another desk. At the first desk they took our money and assigned us room keys. We were then escorted to a second desk where someone explained the resort credit. We didn't understand that the second desk was also the timeshare sales desk. This annoyed me, because we filled out an entire survey (that we thought was part of check-in) only to find out that it was actually for sales. This worker told us that she would offer us an extra $150 spa credit and we said thanks. Someone escorted us up to our room after that. Later, when we went to the spa to make a reservation using the credit, we were told that we would need to listen to a timeshare breakfast presentation in order to get the credit. I would advise a traveler to skip the second desk or tell the person at the second desk up front that you will not fill out the marketing survey. There is no label on this desk, so no way to know that this is a sales desk.

* Honeymoon package problems. When we made the reservation, we told them it was for a honeymoon. I verified three days before that the reservation was for a honeymoon and we wanted to make sure we had the honeymoon package. When we arrived, they did not have a record of this. But when we reminded them after check-in, they fixed it. However, they never brought us or gave us the free bath robes. We went and asked for them before check out and they looked at us like we were crazy asking for free stuff, but they did eventually give us them. It did take three different people to figure it out, however.

* The resort credit is very deceptive. We stayed for three days, so we had a $500 resort credit. However, only $150 can be used in the spa for services. We never used the remaining $350, because we couldn't use it on anything we actually wanted. It is more like a a coupon: for example, you get $100 credit you can use toward sunglasses, but the sunglasses start at $400. You get $300 you can use toward a purchase of gold, but gold starts at $700. If you are someone who likes to buy very high-end items, it may give you a discount. The resort credit also works toward the romantic dinner, but the romantic dinner is $225/each ($450 total) and you still have to pay 11% taxes. So, the dinner "costs" $450/each, but you use the resort credit to pay for it and then you only have to pay $50 (in taxes). Of course, $50 is close to how much I (personally) would spend for a romantic dinner. You also can't use the resort credit on tips or in the gift shop. I think if you were someone who liked to do tours, then the resort credit might make more sense, but keep in mind that you will pay 11% of the tours, and they are severely overpriced.

* Tipping. The website for the hotel specifically said that all gratuities were included. But about 30% of the guests appeared to be tipping anyway. In my mind, if it says that gratuities are included, it means that the staff are being paid a reasonable "tip" amount for every item I order. For example, if I go to dinner and order what would be about $50 of food, then the waiter/waitress should be receiving about $8ish from the management. It appears to not work this way. It appears that the staff is just getting a daily or hourly salary, which is quite low, and not getting additional gratuity money. This feels very deceptive to me--I was told that gratuities were included by the hotel, so I did not plan on spending more money on tips. But then I arrived to find that the staff was not really receiving any gratuities, so I felt like a bad person for not tipping. Some other guests also gave me dirty looks if I didn't tip. I think the best approach is to assume that the hotel is lying when it says that gratuities are included and to budget an additional $30 or so/day for tips.

* Someone called our room twice at 7:30 in the morning the day of our check-out to see if we needed help bringing our suitcases downstairs. We very much wanted to sleep in until at least 9am on our last day (it was our plan) and I couldn’t fall asleep again after the two phone calls.

Ways that Le Blanc was better than The Royal:
• Le Blanc didn’t have the pool craziness that The Royal had. At The Royal, there is competition over beach chairs and pool chairs and you have to check out and return each towel personally from a desk near the beach. None of that happened here—there were plenty of towels and chairs.

• Le Blanc provided a helpful tour of the property at check-in. I appreciated this.

• Le Blanc has more swimming pools (three), but they are all smaller and less cool than the pool at The Royal.

• Le Blanc has room butlers—apparently a butler will do neat things for you like unpack your clothes. But I never used any of those services once I realized that I would be expected to tip extra for these things.

• Two years ago, at the Royal, I got some kind of food poisoning or e.coli from the water and was sick for two days. I didn’t get sick on this trip.

Ways that The Royal was better than Le Blanc:
• The Royal has much better balconies. The balconies at Le Blanc are so small you cannot fit a chair on them.

• The Royal has a pool-side service with novels and sunscreen. A nice cart rotates around offering you these things and water. Le Blanc doesn’t have that service.

• The Royal has bigger guest rooms. The room felt more luxurious, larger, and more decadent at The Royal.

• The Royal has more restaurants and better overall food. None of the food at Le Blanc really floored me, although it was very good. Some of the food at The Royal was really fantastic, but, of course, it also made me sick.

Overall, I would say that Le Blanc is slightly better than the Royal, because I didn’t get food poisoning while I was there. But I probably won’t go back to either one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank overandout8
, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you very much for giving your preference to Le Blanc during this recent trip to Cancun and for sharing detailed review on our resort. I am very glad that the style of Le Blanc and its décor suited your taste and you found it comfortable with great customer service, however allow me to offer you apologies for any inconvenient experiences you had while being our guests. I regret the fact that we were not able to meet all you expectations during your honeymoon trip and hope that despite of it you had a special and memorable time. Allow me to include a remark about honeymoon package, which can be helpful for the future travellers: at the resort we have honeymoon suites, which is only the name of specific room category, they do not include automatically honeymoon package; Honeymoon Package, on the other hand, is a present for those who is coming to celebrate their honeymoon at our resort, no matter what category of room guests have chosen for this visit. To book the honeymoon package the guests needs to advice the reservations or travel agency that the trip is dedicated to honeymoon celebration and provide a copy of marriage certificate upon check in. I would also like to clarify the tips policy of the resort: as stated on our web page, tips are included into the room rate and the corresponding percentage is divided between all the employees serving in the departments with direct contact with the guests, it is paid regularly in addition to the salary. On the other hand, if guest consider that service provided to him or her was extraordinary and willing to leave the tip directly for the person who provided this service, it is decision of the guest and not expected or required. Should you have any doubts regarding this subject you can contact me directly for any further information.
I will be very glad to answer all your doubts or provide you any assistance, should you like to visit Le Blanc any time in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,622)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was the trip of a lifetime. What really does it for this hotel is the staff. If I coulld only remember all of their names. There is not one person whom had a bad interaction with. All you hear is "My pleasure". I love it. I have to mention a couple of people who truely exceded my expectations. Being a Food and Beverage Director, I can only dream of having employees such as the ones I interacted with. First off, Guillermo, the lobby bartender in the evening was FANTASTIC. I wish i could have him as my employee. His specialty that was recomended by the AMAZING restaurant manager David, was the best espresso martini ever. Nothing beats Guillermo's martinins. The other awsome drink which you must have is in the Asian restaurant. The Lychee martini is like none other. Service is so prompt and so professional. David the manager, was always aroung to greet my husband and I. He would even look for us in the hotel! Roger, the server in the oriental restaurant was fantastic. SO EAGER to PLEASE. Ellias the beach bartender was awsome as well. He will always greet you from a distance and remember what you ordered.

Now for the Butlers. I have never had Butler service and now i don't know how I will ever travel to hotel with out one. We stayed on the 7th floor and had three butlers, all were wonderfull.

I wish i could have personally met the General manager to commend him on such a beautiful property and staff. I truely believe there is no other hotel in Cancun that could top Le Blanc. The beach, food, drinks, room, service, and ambiance is OUTSTANDING. 5-Diamond for sure.

One thing that i have to mention is to be aware of the Sales pitch that will last longer than they tell you. You may be greated by someone from the hotel who will have you go out to one of their sister properties to buy into a vaccation/timeshare/deal. Not worht it and just be firm to say no. If you want the credits for the spa and want to endure a two hour pitch (as we did), then it may be worth it. This is the only issue I had and would not recommend going to it.

DON'T go to anyother hotel in Cancun. LE BLANC is the ONLY hotel I will ever travel to when visisting Cancun. Worth every penny and some!!!

Room Tip: High floors and request a room that has a balcony where you can open the door. SOME ROOMS DO NOT HA...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DiamondTravels1209
It was a true pleasure to read your review, allow me thank you for giving such a great part of it to our team and the service you experienced during this stay. I was very glad to see that your expectations were exceeded by so many staff members, as you fairly noticed the team is Le Blanc’s greatest asset and I will be congratulating every one of them for their dedication and professionalism, which resulted in providing great experience and long lasting memories to our guests. Thank you again for your recommendations, it will be an honour to welcome you back to your home away from home and meet you personally on this future visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me before your visit for any assistance or ask for me once you arrive, I will be looking forward to meeting you.
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I tied the knot at this resort. They made everything very easy and helped us with the planning. We used our $1500 credit at the spa to get ready for the big day and they even let us use it for our wedding photographer. We are planning to go back in the near future. Food was amazing. Loved our time at Le Blanc.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director General at Le Blanc Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We are delighted to know that your visit, dedicated to such a special occasion, was full of wonderful unforgettable moments. We are looking forward to your returns to Le Blanc, it will be a pleasure to make your every stay with us the most comfortable and relaxing.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at Le Blanc for my sister's wedding and had a wonderful experience. The spa is world class and all of the staff members are friendly and accommodating. I would definitely stay at Le Blanc again, though I would suggest the following to any guest who has never visited:
- Room service is prompt, but not great. The food in the restaurants is better.
- The asian and italian restaurants are amazing- definitely try them!
- Please be sure to request a tour of the property upon your arrival. Otherwise, you might miss out on some of the amenities (such was the case w/ me) or not fully understand some of perks, etc. you have at your disposal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay and our staff managed to make it memorable. I am very grateful for the suggestions you’ve made for the future travelers and assure you that we are also taking them into our consideration in order to provide the greatest level of comfort and the most enjoyable experience to all our guests.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Wow this was a wonderful vacation. The service at Le Blanc is the best service I have ever experienced whitle on vacation.

Wedding. Our wedding here was simply amazing. We were supposed to be married on june 22 but the weather was horrible. My husband and I decided to make arrangements and change our wedding date to the 26 when the weather report looked better. The wedding department was amazing they accomodated the location we wanted for our wedding and also changed the date and time with no problems at all. Sandra and Angelica were amazing. The made our wedding perfect. Our two wedding coordinators kept in great contact with me so I knew what was happening at all times. I had my hair done at the beauty salon by minerva she was amazing and my hair look gorgeous.

Room ... The room was great the bed and pillows were so comfortable. We stayed for 10 days and had the best sleep every single night. The energy aroma therapy was fabulous. I had a bad cold a few days in and Jesus helped us pic the aromatherapy with eucalyptus and mint which was great. it helped me to breath clear when I was stuffy.

Food. The food was good. The best was room service and the best breakfast was the mexican breakfast on the 3rd floor terrace . Also the pizza are good and they will make them however you like even if not on the menue. Even though pizzas are not on the menue at the main pool or beach you can still order them. Eric made the best peach bellinis he went above and beyond and always crushed up fresh peaches for me.

Butler service. Was simply amazing our two butler were amazing. They took great great care of us. One night my husband had a bad headache and jesus brought us advil. He was simply the nicest person with the best service. He even on two occasions when trying to reschedule our wedding and hair appointment came and found us on the beach to confirm some information. WONDERFUL. He was always able to help or find us an answer to any questions. We had a question about something we wanted to take on the plane and he personally called us when he was off work with the answer the morning we were flying home. That was simply amazing to me that he would remember to do that on his personal time. The butlers were always happy very happy.

pool service. The pool service was amazing . Service on the beach and at the pool were great. Lucinda at the pool. Oh lucinda ..lol I cant say enough good things about her also. She was always smiling and welcoming everyday at the pool. She would run and get our towels and make sure we were perfectly comfortable. On our last day she even gave me a free towel folding lesson so I could come home and make my towels folded up so pretty like Le Blanc. She was simply AMAZING also.

Resort Credits. i do think it would be nice to have a few more options for the resort credits. Like using them on more suvniors or more upgrade choices. We wanted to use them on room upgrade but nothing was available. Or more spa credits.

Spa ... spa was awesome couples aromatherapy detox massage was great and it did what it says . detox. lol My husband also enjoyed the free hydrotherapy sessions.

At the lagoon pool bar we had great service. One of guys there was very informative and explained a bunch of drinks and how to drink them. We really enjoyed that.

International restaurant... We would have like to have a bigger selection for lunch in there. Not much to choose no sides . But the service was awesome. Jesus was our favorite he was always very accomodating. He was always trying to teach us spanish. Very nice very funny.
We enjoyed speaking with him

I do have one suggestion. I think it would be great to have someone in a gold cart to drive u down the long walk to the bus stop and back up when u arrive from riding the bus. We went on the bus several time and were exhausted by the time we returned that long cobblestone walk back up to the hotel in the heat was tiresome. Just a thought. The cold towels at the door were greatly appreciated after that.

Overall we had the best vacation of our lives. It was the wedding of my dreams and I was so happy we chose Le Blanc. Once again thank you to all of the wonderful staff for making our wedding the most memorable vacation ever.

The Buckleys

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have just returned from a 10 day vacation from Le blanc spa. The purpose of the trip was to celebrate a birthday. From the moment we walked in, we were treated like royalty. We were greeted by the door host who presented us with towels and coconut milk. Check in was simple and hassle-free thanks to Samantha. We stayed on the sixth floor and the room was clean and well presented. The facilities and decor overall in the hotel was first class. Regarding the service we received, it was faultless. Starting with our two butlers, Joel and Jesus. These two were very helpful and attentive to our every need, throughout the vacation. A big thank you to both of you especially for organising the special birthday dinner. I had some concerns about the restaurants in the hotel prior to visiting as our party are vegetarians. I should not have worried! In all of the restaurants, the managers and chefs prepared anything we requested and this was made to a high standard. They were all very accommodating and I cannot speak highly enough of them. In the oriental restaurant a big thank you to David the manager, Sabrina the host, leonardo and the highly skilled head chef. In the Italian restaurant, thank you to Paris the head chef and gerrardo for your service. Finally in the international restaurant a big thanks to aquilino, Edgar, marco, mario, Luis, fernando, David, alonso, armando, julio, patricio, Stephanie and cindy. Thanks for your service and treating us well. I apologise to anyone else I may have forgot! Best wishes to you all and I will be back soon. Overall I would definitely recommend this resort.

Dr Mistry

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dr_Mistry
Thank you very much for giving us an honour of receiving you at Le Blanc for your birthday celebration. Our commitment is to make every stay as comfortable, relaxing and memorable as possible, especially if it is dedicated to special even in life of our dear guests. I am very glad to know that our team and their professionalism, experience and desire to create memories by fulfilling every special request, made this trip so enjoyable and allowed you to relax and take a pleasure in every moment of your stay. Thank you again for your recommendations, we all at Le Blanc are looking forward to welcome you back to your home away form home.
San Ramon, California
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This review is long overdue! My BF and I stayed at this resort Dec 27-Jan 3. Like most reviewers have already stated - this all-inclusive resort was awesome. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and resort on the third floor. Our butler was very helpful in answering all our questions. We definitely took advantage of the Pillow Menu and the aromatherapy jacuzzi in our room (if requested, your butler will have the bath ready by the time you're done w/ dinner.) The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you have every need taken care of during your vacation. We felt this place had the most value for the amount we paid AND you can't beat the resort credits that you get (depending on how many nights you stayed).

Clean rooms, great food (loved all the restaurants, esp the breakfast buffet), unlimited drinks, good, clean gym. We used as many credits as we could at the spa which was beautiful and VERY relaxing. You have your own personal attendant that will take you through the sauna, jacuzzi, etc. My massage was so-so, but BF loved his Four-Hands massage haha! I just wished we could spend more time beforehand relaxing in the sauna/jacuzzi before our treatments, I felt a little rushed by the attendant. They also served tea/juice/water and cookies/fruit in the spa area that you could enjoy after your treatment. We did one excursion with our credits (Mayan ruins), which was interesting, but I really didn't want to leave the resort since we got back around 7pm. We didn't even want to leave to see the clubs/shopping malls that were a 5-10 min drive from the resort!
We spent most of our time by the pool and learned quickly that if we wanted to hangout by the swim up bar, we had to save our lounge chairs BEFORE heading to breakfast. Service around the pool was good. We would alternate w/ laying on the beach loungers, too but service was definitely slower there due to the lack of staff (we only saw one staff member who tried her best to take orders and clean off used towels, food trays, etc!)
All in all a great vacation - we felt really spoiled. We highly recommend to couples who want to relax at a nice resort, but still be a few min drive to the nightlife and shopping in Cancun. We have such high standards for customer service after our experience at Le Blanc...Other resorts just don't compare!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking your time and sharing your review with other travellers and us, the team of Le Blanc Spa Resort. It is a great pleasure to know that you had a wonderful vacation with us and truly enjoyed the attentive service, food and beverages and perks offered to our guests. We have worked thoroughly on the consistency of the service and I hope you will enjoy its rapidness and professionalism in every area of the resort the next time you visit us. We are looking forward to welcome you back!