“Friendly staff, ageing property”
Review of Oleo Cancun Playa

Oleo Cancun Playa
Ranked #97 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Midland, Michigan
“Friendly staff, ageing property”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The staff here is excellent - very friendly and attentive. The complex is ageing and in need of renovations (the seal on my windows gave out during a Tropical Depression, leaving a puddle in the middle of the room), but overall the value made up for this small inconvenience.

The beach was clean (as you'd expect in Cancun), and there wasn't a big demand for beach chairs like at other resorts. Servers would periodically check in to get drink orders and make sure you were enjoying your stay.

The food was decent enough to get through a week of eating it, but nothing extraordinarily special. The bars had a great selection of liquors, and the bartenders always had our drinks poured for us when they saw us coming.

If you're someone who wants a clean and economical place, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I heard from others that the top floors are usually lower quality than those near the ground. I did...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jake N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Lancaster, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went on a 11 day vacation to cancun at the end of September. I am a very open person when it comes to reviews and know that people have mixed opinions and trusted that this hotel would meet my expectations when we got there. I was completely wrong! As soon as we pulled up I knew that I had made a bad decision and was very dissapointed and upset! We had rented one of the penthouse condos at the resort and that was not up to our expectations either. I was ready to leave and turn around and fly back home I was so upset. We had to travel up and down the hotel zone our first night to find a different hotel and after 4 hours we finally found a resort that would work with ourprice range that we were willing to spend which was "Hotel Solaris". This resort I would highly suggest! They had great food, a beautiful pool, beautiful beach, wonderful staff and it was clean and what I consider a place I would want to vacation at again. If your reading this review and you are headed to the Bellevue Beach Paradise you need to cancel and look for another option for a hotel. TRUST ME!!!! If you are looking for a dirty, moldy, unfriendly staff because they are unhappy at the place they are working, a disgusting dirty pool, non working elevators, unedible food, sorry looking stage and entertainment team then go to this hotel. You will regret it if you choose not to take advice from this review because I know that I did and that's why im on here today to try and save anyone from the frustration that I went thru.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ilene S

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Little Ferry, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I visited my favoite hotel again. I know the great workers here and I brought my family here too. Everybody loves this place. Only I hope the weather and the wind wil be little better, it was very windy and not too hot at this time. But we are coming again soon.

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean view are the best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank irenamalachova
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Okay, so to all those fussy, posh people, expecting way too much, up to their "standards", I can say, folks, go and ...... yourself... The resort is brilliant, staff is very helpful and kind, excellent service, very good food, incredible view with a private beach of the Carribean Sea, and, of course, shows every single day. My rating is 10/10 but if I could give 12 or more, I would. LOVELY and highly recommended !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Peti_13
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went hear for bach party with 12 other men. So it did what we needed it to do. With that being said, the food is by far the worst i've ever had at an All Inclusive. it was boardline unedible, even after drinking all day, ha. Let me just say there was some weird pizza with cut up hot dogs on it at one point. The staff was nice but we had a few run ins (some of which were probably our fault). The room was nice and had great view and the beach is awesome. So what i'm saying is the location is primo, but with so many other options, look else where.

G Man

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Merrillville, Indiana
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5-day stay at this hotel/resort. We have been to cancun a couple times before and have stayed both ends of the hotel zone (and price range). This was our first wedding anniversary and we wanted to get away, but save $$. Our stay was marvelous, but unfortunately we arrived for the kickoff of hurricane season. The weather would be beautiful, then downpour for 20 mins, then be beautiful again. The winds were very very strong and the waves were huge!! But we had a fantastic time. We loved the laid-back atmosphere of this hotel, it was very relaxing. Dont mind the negative reviews, some people are just very, very picky!

The beach- the beach is the #1 best reason to stay here. the beach is cleaned every morning by staff and is gorgeous to look at. The waves were fun to play in and the water was crystal clear. on the property, there is a sea turtle protection area where baby sea turtles would hatch almost every morning and be dug out of the sand by staff. At night, they would release them into the ocean and we were lucky enough to take part in this amazing experience!

The rooms- we were originally given an ocean view room in the 3rd building on level 1. When you looked out the window all you saw was a gross, black roof and air conditioning units with some ocean behind it. we requested a different room asap. They didn't have anything available until the next morning, but then we were moved up to the 4th floor.The view was magnificent!! The air worked fine in our room and it was always cool when the drapes were closed. The room was clean and the hotel insisted on cleaning daily (which wasnt always necessary) The beds were a bit hard, though.

The food- The first night of our trip, the main restaurant had seafood night (which we wouldnt eat) so we headed to the italian restaurant- no reservations needed. The pizza was a bit mushy but the made-to-order pasta was fantastic! Breakfast was our favorite meal because they had an omelet station & fresh juices. The snack bar by the pool had awesome nachos. The main restaurant hosted themed nights and we enjoyed the mexican one the best. El mirador was only open on certain days and required a reservation. They also asked that men wear pants and no flip flops for women, however nobody seemed to follow the guidelines. The dinner was very romantic & delicious. All in all, there was always something to eat, and for the most part, it was really good.

The drinks- the drinks were very plentiful. they had a menu with so many options, but you could ask for anything and it would be made for you. All of the bartenders, except one, knew how to make really good drinks (much better than the fancier hotel we stayed at last year!) Try them all, if you dont like it order something else! its all included!

The hotel in general- it was fun, and relaxing, There wasnt much to do there except eat, drink, swim, relax. Downtown is fun for everything else. (malls, nightclubs, flea markets, etc) The hotel is in a great location because its only about 15 mins from the airport (we used best day travel shuttle) and its on the best stretch of beach. The buses run constantly and its about $1 per person- it takes you up and down the hotel zone. This alone is one of our favorite parts of cancun, you just jump off when you see something you want to do!

We will definitely be returning to this hotel as long as it still offers such a great deal. Its an older property that could really use a good coat of paint. but, if your in cancun for the beaches & drinks- bellevue is a wonderful choice.

Room Tip: if you get a room you dont like, just request another.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kristy_luvs_all
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

fanastic holiday, great location, friendly staff, card to room didn't work here and then but that happenes in every hotel, service, bar, restaurant all AAA, I've no negative comment to say... Defo would come back, for that price

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends