“Loved our Trip”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #29 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Eureka, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2004

My husband and our two friends went to Cancun on Sept 26th and just got home today October 4, 2004. We had an excellent trip. The people were very friendly and were waiting to help us at anytime. Our room was very nice but when we first go there our safe didn't work which they fixed and we had luke warm water in the shower the whole time. They would stalk our fridge right when we called and the room service was great. Marusie in the resturant was awesome. My husband caught some fish and they cooked it up perfect. The food was very good and I must say we drank our share of drinks. No argueing when we wanted Top Shelf liquer which was all of the time. I would recommed this hotel to anyone the pool is great and so are the people. They tried to get us to do the time share thing but we didn't do it because we had booked our trip through SunTrips. Thanks Again Sunset set Lagoon. Buck and Patricia Noel, Eureka Ca

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Washington, DC
Reviewed September 9, 2004

Heed the warnings!! We ignored the negative reviews in light of all of the positive ones and it was a mistake! Parents, kids and teens might enjoy this place, but 25 -30 year olds expecting a romantic relaxing retreat with great service will be seriously disappointed.

All-inclusive: what a joke. Sure, it's all included, but they won't make it easy for you. Don't expect any waiters to ask for your drink order while you lounge outside - the staff do not want to serve you unless you are under 12 and want to fingerpaint. One entire bar in this hotel (the circular one on the lagoon) refused to serve us since we weren't willing to hear the timeshare presentation. The other bars take an eternity to serve you and only have the cheap Mexican beer (no XX or Corona). The pool bar closes about 4pm and was overrun all afternoon with euro teens being completely obnoxious. The rest of the pool was a kiddie free-for-all. Not what I would call romantic or relaxing.

The so-called 'mini bar' in the room is just a small fridge that we had to call every day and beg them to restock. Even then, they refused to bring us more than 5 beers, 5 sodas and 5 small waters per day. Given that it is blazing hot and Mexican tap water makes Americans violently ill, you'd think they would give you more than 5 small waters for 2 adults! Thank goodness I learned some Spanish on the plane, because the cleaning and maintenance staff do not speak English either.

Nothing special about the buffet - we were actually sorry we had paid for the food in our all-inclusive package because I wanted to eat somewhere else. Food is better at the sister hotel - the Royal Sunset. We had our best dinner there at the Seafood restaurant and were pleasantly surprised that the waiter was so courteous and even made us special liquor dessert drinks without us having to ask! Why is this kind of service so difficult for the Sunset Lagoon staff? We felt totally ripped off.

The lagoon itself was a major disappointment. No wonder no one was ever on the 'beach' if you can call it that. The water is not nice to look at and is unswimmable (they have it roped off about 3 feet from shore). Why waste your time on this side of Cancun when the ocean is so gorgeous?

The dinner show was only mildly entertaining the first time. After that the jokes got old fast and we wondered if this is what they used all of our money to pay for, since they obviously don't spend much on alcohol or food.

Honeymooners and young couples who want to relax and be pampered - go to one of the Palace resorts instead. They are farther away from the main hotel strip in Cancun (which is a good thing!), MUCH larger and more elegant, and closer to the Mayan ruins of Tulum, which are 100 times more interesting than a cheesy dinner show. The real kicker is that the price is about the same as Sunset Lagoon, except that they don't ignore you after they've got your money!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded September 26, 2004

Dear Mr.

We thank to have offered part of it`s time to cause to arrive its comments and the to have visited Cancùn.

In Sunset Lagoon work and we desire the satisfaction of our guest, motive by which ourselves grief the unbefitting that had during its stay with us. It can have the security that we will work to correct the points mentioned to achieve pleasant stay.

I reiterate it my self excuses, expecting its visit, to be able to offer the services quality that deserves.

Reviewed September 2, 2004

My wife and I have been a member of the Sunset Hotels for 12 years. We bought our Master Suite at the Royal Sunset before it was even built, and are member number 6. We have stayed at the Lagoon many times and we will be arriving again next Sat on 09-11-04. We truely enjoy our stay at the Lagoon. We will be staying the 2nd week at the sister hotel the Royal Sunset. The staff is extremely friendly and you will never go hungry with all of the food and drink provided. If you leave on an all day tour, they will even pack a nice lunch for you to take.

The swim-up bar is always a nice place to have a cool drink. When the Sunset bought this hotel about 6 or 7 years ago, they did a major remodeling of the property and it really shows.

This resort is a great place for quite relaxation and splendid service!

We Love the Sunset Lagoon!

7  Thank 713tommyt
Locust Grove, GA
Reviewed August 31, 2004

My wife and I really enjoyed the Sunset Lagoon. Admittedly, this was our first real trip to such a place like Cancun. As such we have vowed to return to Cancun. The Sunset Lagoon offers such a wonderful variety of activities and yet it is accomodating to the needs of relaxation.

I will say, however, that if you are looking for someone to wait on you hand and foot, this may not be the place for you. And if you are not a member, you will get the smaller accomodations without opportunity for an upgrade. The service for my wife and I left a lot to be desired. For instance, it seemed as though we would get passed by while others were being served quite well. We haven't quite figured that one out yet. And yes, there will be the relentless opportunities to buy into vacation programs, but that is all over the Island of Cancun.

I asked my wife as we were departing, is there anything that she would change. She said, "Absolutley not!" So a stay at the Sunset Lagoon is not a bad choice at all especially since you can go to the beach at the Sunset Royal during the earlier part of the day and relax with the sunset on the lagoon in the later part of the day, the best of both in one place.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 24, 2004

I'm totally shocked at the bad reviews of Sunset Lagoon. I love this resort! I visited 3 times with my parents in a year and a half. My parents are owners and they just bought another week. I came online to find a timeshare for sale to buy myself when I found this website. In fact, I promised my children and their families a vacation for Christmas and we wanted to go to Cancun, but because we can't get into Sunset Lagoon, we've decided against Cancun and we're going to Las Vegas. My daughter has been to Sunset Lagoon and she told my son we'd be wasting our time staying anywhere else in Cancun.

Sunset Lagoon has a wonderful atmosphere, homey and relaxed, and the staff has always been exceptional and the amenities superb! The staff always remembers your name from one visit to the next and one time my mother left behind an expensive jacket and it was mailed to her. She hadn't even called the resort, it was returned to her before she realized it was missing. We've NEVER had any problems with items missing or being stolen and the maid service is wonderful and never asked for a tip.

Reading the negative reviews, it seems to me a lot of the patrons were guilty of their own negligence. You have to protect your personal property, you can't expect someone else to. It's only common sense not to leave your wallet by the pool side. It doesn't matter where you travel, tourist are easy targets. Watch out for yourself. As for the "high pressure sales", if you can't afford it or don't want it, just say NO!

I would recommend this resort to anyone. My family and I will be returning again and again.

• Stayed: January 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded August 30, 2004

Agust 31,2004

Please give me the opportunity to thank you for send us your e-mail, were offer us your kindly comments and choosing Cancun as your vacation destination.

At Sunset Lagoon some our objectives are improve the service quality and taka car of our visitor, for this reason work continually to make you fell at home, offer in each service our affection and dedication for you obtain a grat remembrance of Sunset Lagoon.

Anew give you to thank you, for give us to Sunset Lagoon, your valuble time for write lines than make to us very happy for knowing that fulfilled our objectives.

It will be a pleasure to see you again on a near future

Sunset Lagoon

Westchester,Il
Reviewed August 20, 2004

OK here we go. Let me first start by saying that before I left for Cancun I was scared to death after reading these reviews. First Off Saftey is not even a concern. The staff went overboard to make sure our Stay was exceptional.
Alex...HELLOOOOO/Victor/Terri were the BEST BEST BEST. We have been traveling from time share to time share and would rank the lagoon in the above average area. We have 2 small children 11/9 and yes the property is not on the beach but our kids went to the sister property everyday to play on the beach and every night begged to stay and watch the shows out on by the Staff and of Course Alex Victor and Terry.
The food is somewhat on the bland side. Everything seemed to taste the same after the 5th day. Drinks are mixed with water downed juices and the beer is only Mexican beer(you are in Mexico though). The bar/bev staff was awesome and always made sure you had a full drink in front of you.
My sons and I also went diving with the Sunset divers led by Victor and Ruben. These two guys taught my kids all about diving before we went out to the reef area. It was a resort course but well worth the money spent for the kids to try it out. They loved it.
The timeshare hawks are not as bad as everyone seems to think. You are staying in a timeshare you should expect to be approached. Jayeson was our salesperson and was quite the gentleman. Of course he did his best to sell us, but understood we were in the process of building a new home. The sales pitches are somehwat corny and you can easilly see through the bs. Bottom line though is that timeshare is the way to go if you dont own one yet.
Again thanks to everyone especially the staff and a great big Helllllooooo to Alex Victor and Terri.

Management response:Responded August 24, 2004

Agosto 25,200

Thak you for yo e-mail dated on august21, were we recived your valuable comments and mention to us your great time in the Sunset Lagoon an I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing cancun as your vacation.

We really appreciate your positive comments, about out staff and hotel. I assure your our objective is improve the service quality,for this reason Sunset Hotels always take care of our members work very hard to make you feel at home, I ll make sure you congratulation will get to the involved specially to Alex, Victor and Terri.

Hopping to give you a welcome back to Sunset Lagoon, I remind you.

Cordially,

Reviewed July 25, 2004

My pregnant best friend and I went there from July 18-23, 2004. After arriving there 2 hours late we were hungry and tired. We checked into the room, and our first impression was “Hell No”, 1. The room was small 2. It smelled 3. The lighting was bad 4. There was no remote control for the TV 5. The “bathtub/shower” is actually a very tall shower, so when you’re getting in you’re taking a big leap. 6. No dresser 7. The closet was the size of my wrist to elbow, with a safe in it. So we went down to the front desk and complained and they moved us downstairs to a slightly better room, after about an hour.

We booked an all-inclusive package so we expected to be able to eat at anytime of the day. WRONG. We go to the dining room to find out that there are set times to eat. Well we weren’t having it. Finally a nice waiter came and took our food order while everyone else walked by and looked at us, as if we were crazy.

After the first day everything seemed a little better, that’s until it was time to check out. I spoke with Luis at the front desk the day before I left and I explained to him that our transportation would arrive to pick us up at 2:30, so was it possible for us to check out late. He said we would have to check out at 12, but he would give us a room to freshen up in before we left. That was not the case when we got to the front desk at 2 pm. He told us “there we’re no rooms available so we would have to freshen up in the pool shower. We were so upset, so some nice ladies we met early in the pool offered us to use their room that they just checked of, but he so no, and we couldn’t use it. It took all the power I had not to strangle. He made an OK trip horrible. The hotel was cool and most of the workers were accommodating, but the really need to get rid of Luis from the front desk.

I suggest that the hotel gets: 1.better lighting 2.clock radios for the room. 3. It also should have 24 hours access to food and drinks. 4. Warmers for the food, because most of the time the food was cold.
This hotel is cool for families with young children, and older people. I don’t recommend it to people from the ages of 18-35.

5  Thank MissKokoa
Management response:Responded July 29, 2004

July 30,2004

First of all would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing Cancun as your vacatiion destination.

I read your comments about your last stay in Sunset Lagoon, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you may have experiences due to an unforeseen situations at Sunset Lagoon Hotel.

The rooms it will on remodel in September for give you the best service and maintain the quality standars that we offer at our members and guest.

I will like to remind you that Sunset Lagoon is a All inclusive Hotel, and always take care of our guest, and we will always try to make you feel at home, for this reason is important for us read your comments. You can be assured that their constructive criticism will be taken much into cinsideration as it will, no doubt, help us intensify our efforts to make their next visit with us a more enjoyable one.

Sunset Lagoon Hotel