“Loved”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #31 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Loved”
Reviewed July 10, 2004

This was the 2nd time there.
Things havent changed still a great place.

Alex the entertainment guy keeps going day and night don't know how he does it.

Time share left us alone because we had already bought last year.

We warned about the food as it is local grown produce it is as bad as drinking the water and can cause some people to have the "tummy bug" so take some suitable tablets or self-cater using the appropriate iodine tablets to get rid of the bugs. The Food was a bit bland same thing most days no a lot of Mexican food! Thought Cancun was in Mexico.

All in all will go back another year for a peaceful getaway.

Andy & Josie

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Hebrew first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 7, 2004

After reading so many negative comments about Sunset Lagoon, I was pretty apprehensive about our trip. I chose not to share what I'd read with my family and to keep an open mind about our first trip to Cancun. We had exchanged our timeshare for two rooms and because of flight schedules, my husband and our son's friend arrived a few hours before my son and I. Check-in was extremely easy and the gentleman at the front desk said my husband was waiting for my call and gave me the room number. Before I could call, my husband and son's friend walked up with huge smiles on their faces; which told me that so far everything was ok. And to my delight, everything just kept getting better. Our rooms were great! The grounds are beautiful. The staff were not only helpful, but very fun to be around. We chose to endure the timeshare spill in order to score free trips, but we didn't agree to the "spill" until mid-week and must say, no one pressured us into doing it. The only negative about it was instead of lasting about 90 minutes; it took 3 hours. WAY TOO LONG. We didn't buy, and enjoyed our free excursions. I don't know what all the folks who complained were expecting or accustomed to, but the only thing I had to grip about was the humidity.

2 Thank Debra P
, Front Office Manager at Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club, responded to this review, July 29, 2004
July 30, 2004

First of all I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing Cancun as your vacations destination ad for you e-mal dated on March 24, where you mention to us about the situation lived in the Sunset Lagoon.

Thank you for your point of the time share, we at Sunset Lagoon work very hard to make you feel at home ande one of our main objectives is improve the service quality, for that we really apreciate your positive comments, about our hotel and staff.

Hopping to give you wolcome back to Sunset Lagoon, I remind you.

Jorge Muñoz
Front Office Manager
Sunset Lagoon.
Reviewed July 3, 2004

When we first arrived - it was late and we were all tired -- we were greeted with cold beer and soft drinks at the lobby and then met with a receptionist to check-in. They are all very nice. When we got to our room #524 -- it was in a very noisy location near the main street (very busy with lots of buses) It was not good at all -- we had a few issues in the room such as no hot water, the pull out bed for our son was broken, no hair dryer and the bed was as hard as a rock. We were tired so we called the front desk for help and they immediately sent up a maintenance man to work on the water issue and a maid brought us a set of sheets to make up the sofa (on top) for our son. It was off to sleep for us - but I stayed awake most of the night from the noisy highway noise. I awoke at 5:30, got dressed and went to the front desk ready to raise hell and get a refund and move to another hotel or at least to another room.

When I got to the front desk the desk manager told me that I had to wait until 8:30 to see Erica as she was the only one that could help -- So I left - sat on the beach as my family slept away the morning and I watched the enormous 60' x 150' Mexican Flag blow in the breeze from a few hotels down (it is quite a site to see!) I went back to the room and we went to the buffet for breakfast and then went to see Erica at 8:30am -- I was greeted by Aurora a Manager at the reception desk and I explained my situation -- SHE TOOK CHARGE and got us moved (after she allowed me to inspect the 2nd room) to room #111 -- It was a great room - closer to the Lagoon so the traffic noise was gone -- the balcony had a Jacuzzi tub on it and over looked the Lagoon. The balcony was covered with beautiful yellow flowers that I picked off to float in the water. The bedroom area was down about 10 steps from the eating area which made it even quieter. It made a HUGE difference! I was still a bit skeptic about the place but was determined to keep an open mind. We visited the "sister" resort - Sunset Resort on the Ocean side of the hotel and I was very impressed with the beach location and the rooms were beautiful - The difference is that it is busy, noisy and has a "Big Hotel" feel. I went back to the Sunset Lagoon and told Aurora I now wanted to be moved to the Big Hotel and she said she would do what she could to get us there but in high-season, they were full. I know she would have gotten us there that day if she could have!!! The good news for us was that it was full and we did not move because by day two as I was laying in a hammock all alone under a palm tree and enjoying the serene silence I began to see the true beauty of this older resort. There were 40 lounge chairs on the sand under palm cabanas and were empty. the lagoon was calm and still. The sound of native birds was abundant to listen to and the soft splash of an occasional fish jumping in the lagoon was easy to hear. Nearby the beautiful blue pool was full of sun-bathers restfully reading and relaxing while having pool-side drink service being brought to then when needed or they just jumped into the cool water and swam up to the pool bar for a Pina Colada or a Tecate Beer served to then by Antonio. We met great people from New York and Connecticut and felt by the end of the week that we had found new "close friends for life". We enjoyed the nightly shows and buffet dinners on the sand near the lagoon and loved the fact that we were steps away from our room. We ended up falling in love with this hotel, relaxing more that we EVER have on a vacation and saying that we would for sure come back -- It has a few drawbacks and it not new and glitzy as many of the hotels are in Cancun, but it was just what we needed -- Great locations -- VERY friendly staff -- Good Food -- Lots of Sun - Beautiful flowers to enjoy - quiet and low stress -- It was a TRUE VACATION!

Thank you Aurora for NOT moving us to the "Big Hotel" - it made all the difference to our vacation! The Ryan’s from Colorado

Tips: The beds here are very hard and try to get a room near the pool or the lagoon to avoid traffic noise. The drinks are a bit weak, so if you like them strong ask for a shot on the side and if you want the Good Stuff ( Bacardi - Absolute - Jose Ceurvo) you have to ask for it by name, but they easily give it to you. Also - they only serve Tecate or Dos XX beer so if you want another brand - go to the store and stock your fridge!
HAVE FUN and LET IT GROW ON YOU TOO!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Front Office Manager at Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club, responded to this review, August 4, 2004
First of all I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing Cancun as your vacations destination and for you coments where you mention to us about the situation lived in the Sunset Lagoon.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you may experience during your first night stay at Sunset Lagoon Hotel.

We really apreciate your positive comments, about our staff an otel I assure your our objetive is improve the service quality for this reason Sunset Hotel it will be a pleasure to see you again on a near future.

Hopping to give you a welcome back to Sunset Lagoon, I remind you.

Jorge Muñuz
Front Office Manager
Reviewed July 1, 2004

I did not stay at the Sunset Lagoon, but I did attend the high pressured timeshare presentation, and unfortunately, did purchase the timeshare. Upon my return home, I found postings about the fraudulent timeshares and illegal sales practices. I immediately attempted to cancel the contract. I am still in dispute. These are DANGEROUS people who have figured out how to scam innocent American citizens into purchasing something that is totally misrepresented. STAY AWAY from the timeshare presentations...and if anyone has had this happen, please send me an email and we can connect on how to fight it.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2004

We went to Cancun on June 21-26. We were a little bit nervous when we read some of the bad reviews posted here. It was really helpful the fact that the hotel provides transportation from/ to the airport since our flight arrived late at night. The place was nice and clean. We enjoyed the air-conditioned room since it was really hot and humid there. The services were friendly. They did appear a little bit pushy in making you sit with their timeshare reps. We did not even do it even when they offered free stuff, they did leave us alone after we repeatedly said no. There were some confussion of what is really included and what is not. So, do ask first before you do something. The food was good, but dissapointing since we were expecting some Mexican food in Mexico, instead we were getting all these American food. The day tours that they recommeded were not all as good as the way they market it. We felt cheated from the cozumel tour. We paid $31/ person for a snorkling tour, and we didn't really see much and the boat was old and ugly. We were told that it would be a yaht. If you are planning to take the tours, you can request lunch box from the cafeteria the day before. Overall we did enjoy the trip and the hotel. The location was great and convenient.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2004

Our family enjoyed Sunset Lagoon. The resort was very clean and the staff extremely friendly. They do try hard to sell the time share units -- but use common sense - if you don't want one or can't afford one -- just say no. Also use common sense with valuables -- keep it in the safe -- it doesn't matter where you are in the world - you need to look out for yourself.

The food was ok -- nothing too special -- but overall we enjoy the accomondations and the vacation.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
First of all I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing Cancun as your vacations destination ad for you mail were you mention to us your great time lived in the Sunset Lagoon.

We really apreciate your positive comments about our staff an hotel. I assure you our objetive is improve the service quality, for this reason Sunset Hotels always try to make you feel at home, It will be a pleasure to see you again on a near future.

Hopping to give you a wlcome back to Sunset Lagoon, I remind you.

Jorge Muñoz
Front Office Manager.
Reviewed June 22, 2004

What a trip!! My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Sunset Lagoon Oct. 5 thru Oct. 12, 2003. It was wonderful. The staff was great!! They had so much energy and were very concerned with making our stay the best it could be. They were even to the point of knowing a lot of the names of the guests. This was an excellent time to go to Cancun. Weather was perfect, amenities were great with the all inclusive deal, temperature of the pools and ocean was perfect, refridgerator was stocked everyday with water, soda and beer and maids were very creative with the arrangement of towels and keeping the room clean. Overall our trip was great! The only thing I didn't like was that we had a jacuzzi on our patio we didn't get to use because the mosquitos were thick in the evenings. There is a free air conditioned shuttle that can take you to the Royal Sunset sister hotel. It is nice over there, but my wife and I preferred the quieter atmosphere and size of the Sunset Lagoon. It was sooo laid back there. Sure, it is on the Lagoon side, but if you want to go over to the ocean side, it is within walking distance. Great place to stay if you want a romantic getaway. There was a different culture-themed show each night. The food and drinks were wonderful. We did get a little tired of the buffet style meals, but it was always good food, so that was tolerable. There is a restaurant on site where a sit down meal is served (Italian Menu), but reservations have to be made for specific nights. The pools were always clean and there were tons of planned activities to participate in throughout the day. I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a nice, quiet, relaxing time in a beautiful place. The thing we were most impressed with was there were constantly people coming in to take time share tours and not once were we approached or hasseled in any way to sit through a tour. There is a wonderful spa in the resort, and from what I heard, the body massages by the water were wonderful!!! Maybe we can try that next time. We would definitely stay here again if we decide in the future to come back to Cancun.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Assitant of General Manager at Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2004
June 25, 2004

We really appreciate your positive comments, were you mention to us your great time lived in the Sunset Lagoon and I would like to thank you for choosing Cancun as your vacations destination.

Ill make sure your congratulations will get to the involved areas, I remind you that Sunset Hotels always take care of our members, and we will try to make you feel at home, for this reason our objective is improve the service quality, It will be a pleasure to see you and your wife again on a near future. We´ll be looking foward to have you as a guest again.

Hopping to give you a welcome back to Sunset Lagoon.

Manuel Contreras