“Great time, would be happy to go back.”

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
Ranked #31 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Surprise, Arizona
“Great time, would be happy to go back.”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Really enjoyed the accommodations. Read a lot of negative reviews about the front desk staff. They were pleseant and helpful, never had a problem. The concierge folks were great and only mentioned the timeshare tour one time. We said no, and that was the end of it. The room was great, two bedroom, 3 full baths. Both bedrooms had in room spa tubs and the master must have had an 80 inch flat screen. Fridge was stocked every day and the bed was really comfortable. Food was good at the buffett, come on it's buffett food! There was always plenty of it and a fairly good variety. The a la carte restuarante was very good but a bit slow. Make reservations early so you can get in. The pool and the grounds were great, always easy to get the chair and umbrella you wanted. They seemed a tad short staffed at the pool bar so service was a bit slow there. The snack bar grill was not operating when we were there, said tourism was down with the economy and they were cutting back a bit. Too bad, its was a nice grill and made getting bugers and beer faster. Oh well, waiting an extra 5 minutes won't kill you. Transferrs to and from the resort from the airport were a breeze and went off without a hitch. I would recommend this resort to anyone who was not looking to party at the resort. This is a nice, quiet family resort. Evening entertainment was low key but fun. Will post pictures later.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Localobx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Hebrew first
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed here as an upgrade to a trip I had originally booked through Premier Vacations for the Laguna Suites Golf and Spa. I received a phone call telling me about the upgrade, it turns out they had overbooked the other hotel and moved us to this one, which was a little more exclusive. I'm so glad they did!

The room was beautiful, with a view of the lagoon from the patio. Our maid must have cleaned it several times a day, as it was always perfectly clean and spotless. We DID have an uninvited guest appear a few times, as lizards could easily fit under the door frame, and it was not uncommon to find one near the bathroom sink. The beds were comfortable, even the sofa bed my son ended up sleeping on. The air conditioner was noisy and woke me up a few times, but I was the only one it bothered, so I may have just woken up anyway, but I would have preferred it to be on a little less, as I like it a little warmer than my two companions did.

The service was fantastic! Sammi, Henri, Miguel, Jenni, Raul, Alma, and the rest of the staff are to be commended for their outstanding service, and for making a very special vacation even more special. All the staff was always smiling, and everyone we passed said "hola" to us as we passed. My yoga instructor Elisabeth made my day when I was in real need of some real yoga, thankyou! And Sammi was especially wonderful to my son, who kept asking for Sammi specials, and has asked me to find out how to make them here at home.

I want to thank the wait staff at Le Vela for making a wonderful night even more special, in playing a part in my fiance proposing to me. He wanted to pick a romantic spot, and he chose your restaurant. By the way, the food was fantastic, especially the mushroom chianti soup, the steak and the Cannolli!

The buffet restaurant is very good at this hotel, a lot more selection than you normally find, even at buffet restaurants at home. We also ate at the sister hotel Sunset Royal, and the food here was a lot better, and the service and atmosphere here were top notch. I would definitely recommend any tourist that can interchange between the sister hotels, to eat here, and at Le Vela.

There was not a lot of shows at the resort, so if you're looking for nightlife, it's best to go offsite, but we did catch a show while we were there, and it was very well done, and very entertaining. My fiance and I also attended a karaoke night, and even though I don't speak any Spanish, and the music was all Spanish, everyone was having such a great time, it spilled over past the language barrier.

This hotel has the best pool as well, so my son spent a lot of time in there. Compared to the other hotels, it's a good pick here if you have kids, much better outdoor area than the Sunset Royal, and lots of places to find a bit of privacy if you want.

As to the beach, it was a quick boat ride across the lagoon, lots of fun too as they let my son drive it! Trinidad is the guy that walks you across the street to the other hotel, and he was always full of smiles too, even though he was likely sweltering. Bring him a bottle of water if you visit! The water was perfect, lots of big waves when we were here, but only a yellow flag so still safe to swim. They also have a lifeguard on duty, and he was always ready to whistle when someone got closer to bigger water. My son and some friends he made there had a wonderful time jumping around in the waves.

The only sour note was a delay in pictures that we had taken with Poncho, the burro. We were worried that they wouldn't get to the hotel in time for us to take them home with us, but when our ride arrived, the pictures were at the desk for us, thank goodness!

If you go, take lots of money for tips!

Oh, a note on the timeshare presentation: Go early, be honest and direct. If you can't afford what they are offering, they will keep dropping the price and the package till they can find something that works. One of the offers was actually not a bad deal for the right person, we just weren't those people. We never felt like we were being pressured, and the people we met, Hanz and Martin specifically, were very friendly and likeable. I'd go on the presentation again, and consider one of the packages if I could afford it, and going on the presentation allowed us a wonderful time there that we probably couldn't have afforded otherwise. You get to look at the suites they have available, and they are beautiful, the one in Sunset Royal being nicer, even though the amenities at the other hotel are better, so even just for the voyeurism, it was still fun. Our presentation took a little over 2 1/2 hours, but part of the presentation was breakfast, which we would have had anyway.

Also, the kayaks? Go before the wind picks up, or it's all fight getting back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Greenfireflygirl
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This resort is nowhere near a 4 or 5 star. It’s more like a 2 or 3 star.
1) The staff is very rude and acts like they are entitled to tips and don’t have to give good service. They smile to you in English and then talk in Spanish behind your back.
2) The boiler went out for about 3 hours, we had to take cold showers and they gave no alternatives.
3) Everyone walks around asking for a tip, like you owe them money.
4) When you ask for assistance, they act as if you are bothering them.
5) We arrived and checked into the hotel at 10:00pm and they front desk told us that room service closed at 10:30pm, so we should call as soon as we got to our room. At 10:15pm we called room service to place an order and were told that room service was closed. When we went back out to the front desk, he led us to the kitchen manager and he advised that room service closed at 11:00pm and was not sure why we were told it was closed.
6) The resort has no entertainment at all. It is very, very boring.
7) Taxi drivers in Cancun are a rip off. They say that every taxi trip is a $10 minimum, even if you are going next door, but when you tell them forget it, they are suddenly willing to negotiate.
8) Our room and the Italian restaurant were full of mosquitos and the so called “Lobster Dinner” they offer with your all-inclusive package should be passed upon.
9) Some staff go out of their way to assist you, which is nice, while others fell they don’t have to bother.
Probably our first and last time in Cancun, definitely first and last time at this resort.
NEVER AGAIN!!

Room Tip: Go to another resort
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AATP
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2011

One thing I can say is that this review is well overdue. I travelled to Cancun with my homeboy on the first week of October 2010. He wanted to do an away trip for his late birthday and Cancun is the hot spot. The only thing was that we were a few months to late (LOL). At the time we went we knew it was not an active season of tourist or vacationers, however better for us because deals would be present. I decided to choose the Sunset Lagoon due to the fact of its location. Sunset Lagoon is closer to the entrance of downtown Cancun but is located within the hotel zone limit. I wanted to be in a relatively safe area of the vacation spot. We stayed for about 6 nights and 7 days which were from Saturday to Saturday. I also choose this place because it was one of the few places that did not require mandatory all inclusive option. Also my friend traded in his time share week from RCI. That’s why we stayed for such a long period of time. RCI, if we chose the all inclusive option would have given it to us for $60/person per night deal.

The sad part is we did not take the all inclusive option at the resort (something we would later regret). So this review will not so much talk about the all inclusive option, however we did have a chance to experience a taste. When we reached the resort they gave us a warm welcome by giving us a welcome meal with any choice of drinks (non-alcoholic and alcoholic). We were supposed to go to a next day meeting which most likely was a timeshare presentation, but we missed it and they never bothered us about it again. Even though we were not all inclusive they still gave us a little taste of it. Before giving us our color wrist band and breaking down the rules of the resort they explained that we could purchase one buffet meal at a time at the cost of $20/person. They would offer three meals in the day breakfast which was 7am-10am, lunch was 12pm-4pm and dinner was 6pm-9pm. As we walked around the resort we notice they had a few good things. They had the buffet area, the lobby with free internet, a nice swimming pool with a swim up bar and a place you can play pool volleyball, a stage for night time entertainment, lagoon with some activities and a small sand beach walk.

When it came to the things we saw before we went to the room was the buffet area (Of Course). There is only one place to eat and they explained they have the sister resort that we could use that has restaurants in them. All we have to do is take the bus that would stop outside the resort or drive since we had a Budget rent a car with us. If you needed to use the internet the only place you could do that was in the lobby. The rooms do not have internet connections at all. The lobbies’ free internet service is pretty good because I streamed videos and it worked great. I love the swimming pool they have because of the top and bottom part they had. The top was where the swim up bar was and the bottom is the volleyball part. The water was pretty good, it was not cold and it was cool once you go in. There is a place for live entertainment which we saw on our last night there as well. However, it’s Cancun and we love the night life and we went to places such as Coco Bongo and Bull Dog. The hotel is located on the Lagoon side so you don’t have access to the beach in less you travel to the sister resort. Even if you travel to the sister resort you cannot go to the beach pass 6pm. On the Lagoon you can jet ski or go on a boat ride. It would be preferable to go to the beach side if you want to do those amenities. The small strip of sand they have is only to catch some rays if you love tanning.

Now the room we arrive at finally. We were on the third floor closest to the entrance of the hotel. If you look up from the pool you would be able to see our room, which has a card key lock. The room was a 1 bedroom and living room pull out coach. The bedroom was located on the bottom steps which was located towards the back with a large King size bed. The flight of steps before that was the living room with a pull out coach available. Closest to the entrance was the kitchen which had a small half kitchen with a center table. The Kitchen had a mini fridge and an electric stove that could heat or cook certain types of food. So if you are planning to cook something like a family dinner don’t, that was the mistake we made. You could only cook small things because the stove would take time to heat up and then heat up the pan. There are toaster, pots, pans, cups, plates, microwave, coffee maker and no oven (hence half kitchen). The bathroom is interesting because the sink is outside from where the toilet and shore is. There is no sit down tub so don’t expect a bubble bath, but the water was warm with no problems at all. It was always stocked with enough towels and water pressure for the toilet was great. On vacation always bring toothpaste because they don’t have toothpaste in any hotel you go to. They did have shampoo, soap and mouthwash which you do not find at a lot of hotels. The living room pull out coach is comfortable and the maid can give you extra blankets if you need any. Both sitting and sleeping on it was comfortable to me. The only negative was that there was only one T.V in the entire suite which was only 13" inches flat screen. The channels were in Spanish which I understood since we were in Mexico after all. However, we were not there to watch T.V and we did not stay in the room the whole time. The main bed my friend slept on and he said it was not bad but just one issue of ants towards the end of the week that would get on the bed. The minute that happened we told the manager of the hotel and they quickly fixed the problem. On the balcony there was a Jacuzzi which was cool but had no bubble action. The water was good and it would only go warm at best, which then we called it a bathtub. The room all in all was very clean considering the size and the maid worked hard to keep it clean by mopping it practically everyday.

We mostly went to Wal-Mart downtown to get our food and stock our fridge with supplies. The fridge was not big enough to fit everything but we manage to make it work. The customer service was good in certain areas and not so good in others. The good was that there was an issue of a mix up with our car rental. The issue was that another family had the exact same car as we did and the original person who tagged the keys did not put the room number on it. So when we were going out that day the manager came up to us before we even knew what happened. He apologized for the incident and offered us a free meal from the buffet and to full tank of gas when the car came back. They also offered us another day of all inclusive because of the whole incident and we forgot the whole situation happened. They also took care of the ant incident which they fixed really quickly and anything we needed they helped us out with. The bad, on several occasions we tried to bring guest that we met in the area to our room and the front desk threw a tantrum about it. They were upset each time we did that and said for each guest we brought we would have to pay for them even if they stayed for a few minutes or so. Even though our guest were staying inside our room and not taking part on any of the amenities they still demanded we pay for them. This made some of our guest uncomfortable and caused us not to bring anybody else afterwards. However, towards the end we pretty much got our money back only because of the ant issue that balanced it out. Overall I would give the staff and their support an A because they always help you no matter what. The Mexican culture really shows how hard they work to please their guest and I appreciate it. In regards to the excursions it is always better to buy them outside of the resort because you can get better deals. The hotels have a set price while the stands outside towards the club area give great competitive prices. We did the Isla Mujeres all day tour and found a great deal for $30/person opposed to the hotels $70/person deal.

Overall this hotel is a good place to relax and for family stay it’s not bad however, the sister resort would be preferable. They would have more for the kids to do at the sister resort and here would be preferable for young adults to the elderly. The staff is incredible and the food from what we tasted at the buffet was good no complaints.

Room Tip: Ask and you shall recieve
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank mphiliza
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This resort claims to be 5 stars! Hah!!! It deserves no more than 3, and that is being generous.
1)Our air conditioner broke the 1st day, we had to spend 2 nights in a hot bedroom before they could find us a new room. When they finally moved us, the coffee maker did not work and we had to ask at least 5 times for a new one.
2) We prepaid for an equestrian package. When we got there, they gave us the wrong color wristbands so we had to find the receipt for proof that we paid, then they "forgot" to put our names on the list for the the show and we were almost not allowed on the bus to the event!
3)Kids activities very poorly communicated. They only one our daughter got to do was painting clay animals, which I had to pay extra for. Babysittier was fine, but we were supposed to arrange it 24 hours in advance, but we could not reserve the restaurant on site 24 hours in advance. Also we were supposed to get a lobster dinner as part of our all-inclusive package, but when we tried to order it, we were told we had to tell them we wanted it when we made our reservation. HUH? Of course, there was nothing to tell us that until we got there.
4) Tried to order room service one night for drinks, and was told we could not have drinks unless we ordered food. Asked to speak to a manager and phone was put on hold for at least 10 min until I called the front desk manager and made a fuss.

Needless to say, they did not try to sell me a timeshare after all the complaints we had. I am very annoyed at all the stress we experienced. I work a very stressful job and own a business and was so looking forward to a week relaxation and feel very ripped off

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jvita13
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We had a terrific time. The food was fabulous, the room beautiful,and all the resort amenities top notch. The timeshare presentation, however, on our first day there, was VERY high pressure. Instead of 90 minutes, we were there for 4 hours. Each time we said no, they brought in someone new to pressure us. It wasn't pretty by the end. The last salesman actually said to us, "Fine! You lose!"
Also, if you stay here, make sure to arrange your return trip to the airport as soon as possible. The person in charge of this in never there. We ended up taking a taxi.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Linda18431
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2011

The facilities are good, the good if good with lots of choice and always fresh - even on the buffet which is very flexible. Restaurant and bar staff are excellent and couldn't be more helpful. The lobby staff are very unhelpful, only answering questions and not volunteering any useful information. The room staff clean the rooms well but dirty plates and glasses and the laundry is left outside your room for days on end - we counted 6 days for one set of plates! Great location away from the crowds yet with easy access to everything and a very regular free shuttle bus to a sister hotel on the main beach and full use of all amenities there. The worst thing is that a very pushy and intrusive timeshare sales team are based in the resort. The lobby staff almost force you to attend a presentation and the sales staff are very aggressive. Even when not attending you are bothered all day and every day by the salespeople showing groups of tourist around the resort - it just doesn't stop. All the sales people behave like robots and so you hear the same conversations and watch the same body gestures with every group, all day and every day. You need your wits about you at all times as everyone seems out to rip you off and as tourism has slowed down due to recession and drug problems this is getting worse.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple