“Wonderful Family Vacation”

Royal Solaris Cancun
Ranked #41 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Family vacation with twin daughters, 6 yrs old. This was our 2nd trip to this all inclusive resort-but this time as timeshare owners-worth the money! MUCH for kids to do. Very impressed with all the ladies who work in the Mini-Club! LOVE the kids swimming pool and activities - especially face painting! The restaurants are lovely, food is very good, and the service is EXCELLENT! We were particularly impressed with David, at Bogavante. GREATLY enjoyed the nightly shows - impressed with ALL the dancers (especially the gal from Germany who did all the aerial stunts) and variety of shows offered! Great entertainment for adults and children! Great location with private beach and many swimming pools. All staff appear friendly, easy going, and helpful. Housekeeping (Emoe) kept our room very clean and arranged our children's stuffed animals and toys in cute ways each day - we looked forward to seeing daily. If you want to leave the resort, you can easily jump on the public bus for $1. We only used bus during daytime and felt safe to take our kids. We will be returning for a 3rd visit in the future!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Dawn D
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your Solaris Experience on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased to read that you enjoy the beach, the pools and all the friendly and helpful staff that works with us, specially the ladies from the mini-club; that always are making the best to give our guests and excellent service.
We are glad you enjoy our lovely restaurants and the service of our staff; particularly from David in the restaurant Bogavante.
We are happy to read that you enjoy all the entertainment; and that you get impressed with all our dancers and their aerial stunts that they offer in the shows; you must know they work hard everyday to offer our guests quality shows.
Thank you for mentioning the friendly, easy going and helpful of our staff, you can be sure that Emoe will keep your room nice and clean every time and with a animal towels waiting for you.

We are looking forward to see you soon to pamper you as you deserve.

Best regards from Cancún to Carbondale, Illinois.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This was my first time in Cancún, as well as my first time at an all-inclusive resort. Cynthia at the lobby bar was amazing, so attentive. As well as Ismael at Veneto's, and José at Bogavantes. There are several truly outstanding employees, but overall EVERYONE goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and having a blast. Norma in the spa gives an amazing deep tissue massage. The food is small portions but you can order as much as you want so if you don't like something, trade it for something else. Or if you LOVE something, order 20 more if you'd like! A friend of mine wasn't crazy about anything he saw on the menu one night (the menu changes every day) ...so he asked if they could just make him a chicken Caesar salad and they did! I was impressed with everything from the wait/bar staff, front desk staff, housekeeping, entertainment (lots of games at the pool from paper airplane contests, to water balloon fights, a slip & slide, "Mr. & Miss Solaris" contest,) etc. The hotel also offers many excursions that you can go on. I recommend the trip to Isla Mujeres. Lots to do. Shopping, snorkeling, you can rent golf carts to drive around the island, etc. Overall I'd give it two thumbs up and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank xLaurenx919

Thank you for writing such a lovely comment regarding your stay at Royal Solaris Cancun. We are very pleased that you appreciate the commitment that all Royal Solaris employees have for service.
We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the facilities, the massages, the food, the entertainment and the tours.
Thank you for pointing out our outstanding waiters: Cynthia, Ismael and José; who will undoubtedly appreciate your kind comments.
We are so happy to know that your first trip to Cancun was full of unforgettable memories thanks to Royal Solaris Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again in your next trip to Cancun.

Kind Regards from Cancún to Tampa, Florida.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Roberto, our pool waiter, was so friendly and helpful our whole entire stay there. He would come by and ask us if we needed anything ever 15 minutes. He would even look for us every time we were by the pool. He definitely made our vacation so much better! All the staff are very helpful and kind. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to go on a vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Staying here 6 nights. Currently on day 5. I have stayed at all-inclusives throughout Mexico. Good stuff first. The beach is nice, along the hotel zone in Cancun. Service at the buffet restaurant and the lobby bar is good. I tip at each meal and each time I am brought a drink and this makes a big difference. Even though you do not have to tip I would feel embarrassed to not tip. If you would appreciate tips then truly pay it forward. I brought a pack of 100 singles to dispense during my stay.

This is an average property. There is a daily charge for the internet. At check-in I paid for 6 days and each time I log in I am reminded of the expiration day and time, which is a full day less than what I paid for. I will try to get it straightened out at the lobby today.

Rosmarinus looks like a nice restaurant at this property. It is outdoors, by the beach. Problem is you have to be a member of Royal Solaris to go there. Marco Polo is a fancy restaurant, they have one night (Wednesday) that is for members only. Basically know you will eat at least two meals a day in the buffet restaurant, which is pretty good. You can get hot dogs, burgers and chicken at the pool-side walk-up line. There is also a pizza station to the south side of the property. The pizzas are individual sized and good. Expect to wait up to ten minutes to place your order and another ten to fifteen minutes for the pizza to be ready. Stand to the right side to place your order. There are no signs in Spanish or English to tell you that.

If you want a towel on the beach bring your "I.D. Card" you are given at check-in. The staff didn't tell me I needed it for anything, so the first time I went for a towel I ended up not getting one. Then I decided I was better off without one. I remembered a similar operation where someone's towel was taken by someone else, forcing them to then take someone else's towel so they wouldn't be charged.

Pepsi is the soda supplier.

The row of three shops had no items I would be interested in.

I have seen one show at the Teohuacan theater so far and it was entertaining. Dancers lip-syncing to broadway songs.

My room, 1206 is not on the twelfth floor (only goes to 8), it is on the second floor per the elevator. In reality I am probably on the fourth floor from the pool area. The room has a great view of the pool area. I would not want to be on the other side of the hall looking out toward the lagoon. My room is connected to 1204 by an interior door through which I hear the normal conversation of the guests next door. I sneezed once and was blessed from my neighbors. AC works fine. Bathroom is small, but sufficient for me, traveling alone. If my wife were here she would want more light and more counter space in the bathroom. Maid arrives at about noon. I also leave two bucks for her and she leaves me fully stocked with waters. There is no mini-bar in my room. Other all-inclusives I have stayed at kept me stocked with beer, alcohol, waters and diet coke.

There is no ice machine on the second floor. I have to go up one flight of stairs for that. It is easier for me to usually use the stairs than the elevators.

This resort is kid-friendly. Everyday I see and hear screaming babies and see 3-8 year olds running around all the common areas unsupervised by parents. There is supposed to be an adults-only pool, but I haven't seen it in 5 days. The hot tub is past the childrens pool area and it has a sign that says "Adults-only", but it is not enforced.

I stayed at Secrets Capri Resort last year and I preferred its location, closer to Playa Del Carmen and more secluded. There you feel closer to nature as you frequently see large lizards and coatis around the property. The surroundings are so much more beautiful than the hotel zone of Cancun.

Frozen margaritas were good. Better without salt as your hands get sticky when the glasses have salt around the edges. Rum and diet pepsi was ok.

This resort is fine for families with children and 18 year-olds looking to party.

Room Tip: I would only want an ocean view room. Other friends I met here had a corner room with a deck. They g...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Chris M

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Royal Solaris Hotel. We are glad to read that you enjoy the service of our staff; we work very hard and we are willing to go beyond your needs to make your vacation a memorable time.
We are glad that you felt satisfied with the service in the buffet and the lobby bar; and that you appreciate the food and snacks that our chefs prepared with pleasure for each one of our guests; like hot dogs, burgers, chicken nuggets and our delicious oven baked pizza.
Regarding Rosmarinus; we apologize if there was a lack of information regarding our schedules; Rosmarinus Restaurant is open to all our guests for lunch and dinner; the only time that is members only is for breakfast from 7:30am to 10:30am.
Concerning the towel issue we feel sorry for the misunderstanding. We provide towels for the comfort of all our guests; to keep a control in our stock, we supply a towel-card. These cards can be exchange in the pool area at the beginning of the day for a fresh towel. Returning the towel at the end of the day: the card will be handed to the guest; making the storage more effective; avoiding our guests from traveling all around with wet towels.
Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you receive in our Resort. We value your opinion seriously therefore we can improve our guest service. The suggestions you mentioned we have informed to our General Manager to take specific action to correct those conditions.
Your feedback is really important to us therefore we can improve our services and exceed guest expectations, now and in the future.

We appreciate your honest review and we will take action to improve.

Kind Regards from Cancún

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend bought 3 nights here on Groupon and went from May 28th to June 2nd. And... It left a great impression! At check-in Glenda*(?) upgraded us to an ocean view room and we were so happy! The view was like a dream and the room is better than I thought! My boyfriend and I tried all the food there, tea time with flaming coffee, the swim-up and lobby bar, pizza corner, Marco Polo, buffet, the snack bar, etc. Prior before coming here I read the reviews on here and people were talking about how nasty the food is and it kinda scared me. But honestly, people are just way too picky with their food lol. It was good! Only place that didn't have the best food was the snack bar. Oh and special thank you to BACAB!!! My favorite person there who worked at Marco Polo and made the delicious flaming coffee every afternoon :) and thank you to the pizza guy that recently got promoted. The service here is so friendly! Truthfully, I really like tipping people here than in the United States. It is a way more genuine customer service and they are so hard working. It was also really fun, my boyfriend and I being 18/19 years old in Mexico, drinking at the bar! I loved the mojitos :) The beach there is a fantasy. It feels so unreal, I can't believe how clear and blue the water is and how white the sand was.

Only complaint which really really bothered me is the wifi... We paid $16 (which I already thought was pricey) per day for wifi. The lady at the front desk told us that it would be $32 or 2 days which I was fine with... But at check out they charged us another $32 and paid a total of $64 for 2 days for wifi!? I'm pretty sure they stated the first time we paid for wifi that it was only going to be $16 per day not $32 per day...

Anyway, first time in Mexico and first time in all inclusive and it was a great vacation.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This resort is a 3 star at the best. The food is so-so and very limited on what you have to eat. I will say though that the pizza's that they make down at the pool are excellent!!! Make sure that you at least eat some of those. The rooms are ok, nothing special at all. Beds are like sleeping on a board so hopefully you are use to extremely firm mattresses. The one thing that I would say that was over the top was our server down at the pool Juve (Huvay). He is the most friendly guy and never let our cups run dry. Overall, this is a good place to go for a few days, but would definitely not do 9 days like we did this time. We did get a massage in the spa while there and I highly recommend it. It is one of the best massages I have had.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your stay at Royal Solaris Cancún.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our pizzas, the care and service provided by Juve and the massages.

Regarding the mattress inconveniences please try to consider it depends on the different preference each person has, however we have pillowtop to give to person who prefer soft beds. We would have liked you had informed us during your stay to provide a solution in the moment.

We regret the fact that we did not meet your expectations as your first time at an all inclusive resort. We hope you give us a second chance to pamper you as you deserve and live the typical Solaris experience.

Warm regards from Canún,
Hoteles Solaris de México.
^X

Reviewed June 2, 2014

All in all, I was very satisfied with our trip. We had purchased and combined a 5 night and 4 night stay through groupon. The resort was very clean and the staff was super friendly and helpful. We went with a group of 6 (3 different rooms). Our friends had an issue with a moldy smell in their room, but were able to change rooms easily.There was no weird smell in our room. Our room was pretty standard, lagoon side - beautiful view, but then again I don't think you can go wrong in Cancun!

The beds and pillows are comfortable if you like them firm. I thought they were OK, but after 9 days I was ready for my soft bed! We were on the 8th floor and I'm not sure if this was an issue throughout, but water pressure/temperature in shower was pretty inconsistent! Our only major issue was that since we had purchased and combined two vouchers, we were required to check out and check back in during the middle of our stay... I had asked up front if we were going to switch rooms and they said No, but when the time came to check out and check back in, they said we had to switch rooms! We put up a stink about it since we were going on a tour that day and weren't prepared to have everything packed and ready to move. Eventually they just let us stay in the same room. I don't even know why it was an issue in the first place! The didn't make our other friends change rooms either.

Drinks are very sweet and pretty weak. But you can ask for them to make them stronger. The Mojitos and margaritas are pretty good. The food was good - some things excellent, some so-so. Marco Polo was the best for dinner and I enjoyed the freshly made pizza by the pool. But there are a lot of options and i think something for everyone.

Pool area was excellent, beach excellent. Location convenient - so easy to hop on the bus to town.

WIFI a ripoff - only free i think it was like wednesdays between 11-2 or something like that. Otherwise $16 a day or 7.50 for 15 minutes(which we actually used to print out boarding passes - free to print)

for coffee the milk is powdered, but they will bring you cream if you ask. Also we found out towards the end that you can order bacon at the buffet!

For the price I think it was a great deal! We all had a great time! But I think we may spend a little more the next time we do all-inclusive and possibly stay at an adult only resort since it seems like this location is a popular family spot. Lots of kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple