“GREAT VACATION”

Ranked #35 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“GREAT VACATION”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from a great week in Cancun at the Royal Solaris. Great friendly staff! So nice to see them interacting with each other and be so happy. Always had smiles and more than happy to help you with anything! The entire hotel is so very clean! The pool is so beautiful and kept so clean everyday. The entire staff was so friendly and inviting. Have to give a big thanks to Roberto at the pool! Never went without a drink. He was totally awsome! Loved the breakfast buffet and had snack bar at the pool. Great beach. Ocean colors are amazing! Lucky enough to see a sea turtle nest her eggs right in front of the hotel! Can't say enough about our stay at the Royal Solaris. Would go back and stay here in a minute. Great staff and good times had by all!

Room Tip: All rooms have great views. Didn't really see the need to upgrade to a balcony. The oceanview ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kim M
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for pointing out the friendliness of our staff specially Roberto. We are looking forward to having you back here soon !

^T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were in Cancun from June 5-12th. Since our arrival at the airport the staff was very friendly. Once in the hotel the staff was even friendlier. Every morning at breakfast Sara and Giovanni were our waiters and were very professional always with a smile on their face. The food variety was great. I recommend the egg omelette at breakfast. The all-inclusive is a great deal since there is food and drinks all night! Nightly shows at the theater are a must. The best one was "Noche Mexicana". The beach was great, plenty of shade and space to relax. If lucky, you might just get to see turtles come lay eggs on the shore past midnight. The pool area so much fun, there are always activities planned by the friendly staff and live music by the in-house DJs. My favorite pool activity was the volleyball-tequila game. The pool bar is staffed by some of the best staff in the hotel. Our hosts were Gerardo, Pompilio, Manrique and Clementino, they treated us like lifelong friends. Had a blast in the pool bar sampling a variety of different drinks. Will definitely go back to Royal Solaris next time I go to Cancun. Saludos desde San Francisco, California a los bartenders que no attendieron en el bar the la picina que ya mencione arriva. Muchas Gracias por su servicio y nos vemos pronto.
Ivan M.

Room Tip: Corner suites face the beach and the lagoon, the best view
6 Thank Ivan M
Thank you for your comments, we are glad to know your stay with us was great. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is specially Sara, Giovanni, Gerardo, Pompilio, Manrique and Clementino. We are happy you enjoyed our "Mexican night". We hope to see you back again in a near future!

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went as a single mother with my 3 children. I never felt unsafe and we all had an amazing time. The staff is pleasant & helpful. They kept everything so clean!

The ocean was so beautiful & the beaches are clean. The pools were great too! I thought the food was good! There is a great variety with different foods each night.

I was not charged any additional fees at all. I paid for WIFI which was very reasonable....$50 for 7 days.

Nobody bugged me about sales or time shares. We just hung out on the beach & at the pool all day long. Also, the kids club is great! My daughter had so much fun there. Better than online photos.

Make sure you go see some of the Mayan ruins. We visited Chichen-Itza one of the days & it was so awesome! It's one of the 7 wonders of the world.

3 Thank Erica J
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you had a great stay with us. Thank you for pointing out our staff and food.
We hope to see you and your children back in a near future!

Pearland, TX
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is ok for the price. Don't expect anything fancy. The food is average at best. The AC in the lobby did not seem to work all week long. The floors would have a lot of condensation and turn VERY slippery. Most of the waiters would look at you mildly annoyed if you asked for something as simple as another soda. The rooms are old and dated.
The POSITIVES are the pool and the beach. The pool is nice and we did not have a lot of trouble finding a good spot. The beach was even better. A lot of shade, always available. Every 30 minutes or so a guy would stop by asking if we needed any drinks or food. Our best times were spent at the beach.

Room Tip: Good luck!
1 Thank Pearlander2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad you enjoyed our pools and thank you for pointing out our wait staff. We are sorry about any inconvenience encountered during your stay with us. We will inform our General Manager about the situations.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Make sure you get things in writing when coming to this hotel. Also, have the full name of anyone quoting you any rate as they will have poor excuses to charge you additional money. In this particular example my family quoted me as an additional user. They were told that since I was arriving late at night when everything would be closed (as far as the all inclusive part) they would only need to pay for one night for me. At arrival, they were told that it would indeed be two nights for the price of a better hotel nearby. I only stayed because my family was here. Otherwise I would have gladly transitioned to another better location where I would not need to deal with multiple people only to hear no consistent story as to why they would not honor their initial rate.

Additionally I could not take my family to a better hotel as they would have to pay a fine in addition to the full pre-paid stay in order to check out earlier. In short. Avoid. There are plenty of hotel options in Cancun. Several with better service and friendly staff.

2 Thank Santiago M
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear guest

Please accept our deepest apologies for the misunderstandings at the fron desk and for not having met your expectation. We appreciate you taking the time in writing your review regarding your stay at our Hotel, which contributes greatly to our improvement and keeps us focused on what needs to be changed in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

We take seriously all our guest's comments, so we have informed to our General Manager about your perception so we can keep improving and provide better options for all our guests in a near future.

Once again we apologize for not fulfilling your expectations.

Sincerely
Hoteles Solaris de México.
USA
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed from June 7-14, 2013. Pros: very nice staff, clean rooms, good food and the variety, between all the restaurants, is amazing, nice section of beach. Cons: the rooms are noisy, the beds are uncomfortable, and the rooms need more table space (I'm not a fan of putting things on the floor or the bed), the A/C was noisy, and the shows are getting a little old (but this is our 3rd time, so we've seen them all that many times). Also, I HATE the loud pool music played during the day. I don't mind a little music for atmosphere but they BLAST it all day. And it's always fist-pumping club music. With the variety of people that are at the hotel, a variety in music would be appreciated, I'm sure. Still, it's a nice place and you can tell the staff works very hard and it's managed very efficiently. We always get excellent service from Cesar in the Rosmarinus Restaurant and Ernesto, Abraham, Sara, Anallely, and Ignacio in Las Fuentes and Gustavo in the lobby bar.

Room Tip: Lagoon side is quieter during the day.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for pointing out our staff specially Ernesto, Abraham, Sara, Anallely, Ignacio y Gustavo.
Next time you visit us do not hesitate to ask at the Front Desk for a foam topper, that will make the bed softer. Thank you for your suggestions about our shows we'll inform our General Manager. We hope to see you back next year !!

Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I visited Royal Solaris Cancun May 10th thru May 15th 2013. Booked a somewhat last minute deal and really hadn't done much research on the Royal Solaris but for the price we couldn't pass up the opportunity. If you don’t care to read on I will tell you that we enjoyed our stay and the excellent service we experienced. We will definitely return to this resort on our next trip to Cancun.

Arrival: The resort is located on the southern end of the hotel zone. The ride from the airport to resort via shuttle only took about 15 minutes. The Royal Solaris was the first stop for our shuttle which expedited our arrival. At the first glance the main entrance and lobby area was very clean. We were greeted by several friendly staff members as we upon entry.

Check in: The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly. We asked about upgrades and were offered a King Suite with a hot tub on the balcony for an extra $25 a night. We jumped on the upgrade even though I believe I could have negotiated a lower rate. We received our room keys, beach towel cards, and room safe lock/key only after about 5 minute check in procedure. **After check in we were approached by the “representatives” who hustle you for excursions and time share presentations. After saying “no thank you” about a dozen times we were about to escape past them and make it to the elevator. We avoided the hustlers the remainder of our trip by using the elevators on the opposite end of the property.

Room: Our room was located on floor #1. We were very pleased with the room upon entry. The room very clean and fresh smelling with an air conditioner that was blowing cold air. The mini fridge was stocked with (4) bottles of cold water as well as (4) bottles of Sol and assorted soft drinks. There was a coffee maker in the room as well. ***We left a dollar in the mini fridge each day and when we returned to our room we found lots of extra beers and water in our fridge. The bed was softer than most Mexican resort beds we’ve slept on in the past. There was an abundant amount of pillows with an extra blanket in the closet. Bathroom was not very large but the shower was big enough for two adults. All the amenities one would expect from a resort hotel were located in the bathroom. The towels were large and soft. One nice thing about the room was that they had several network stations on the television from the United States which were broadcast in English. On our balcony we discovered an amazing view of the beach and water. A hot tub large enough to hold two adults with some extra room to spare took up most of the patio. We used the hot tub on several occasion both late at night and early in the morning. We enjoyed drinking coffee in the morning as we sat in the tub watching the sun come up. It was very relaxing and worth the price of the upgrade. ***Beware…If you decide to get naked or a have some “fun” in the tub you need to know that the people above and beside your room can see whatever is going down on your patio and in your tub.

Food: For what this trip cost and for not knowing much about the Royal Solaris I wasn’t expecting much from the food that would be served. I was wrong. The food served at the resort was better than most all-inclusive resorts that we’ve visited. We ate breakfast at Las Fuentes each morning. Many fresh breakfast items to choose from buffet style. The highlight is the cooking stations: Pancake/waffle and made to order omelets. We enjoyed omelets every morning we had breakfast at the resort. You pick the items yourself that wish you included in you omelet from a variety of vegetables, meats, and cheese. The buffet includes many different fresh fruits and juices. Bacon is not on the buffet but ask your waiter and they will bring you a plate load from the kitchen. For lunch we either ate at Rosmarinus or the grill by the pool. At Rosmarinus we enjoyed different types of Mexican dishes as well as seafood. The food was great and there was always a good selection each day. The grill offered hamburgers and hot dogs as well as nachos and other snack foods. We often grabbed a couple plates of food to take down to the beach to snack on. We ate dinner off the property several of the nights we stayed at the Royal Solaris so I can’t comment on the evening meals but based on what we experienced throughout the day I’m sure the food was great. I did wander (stumbled) into Las Fuentes one night around 11:00 and found a small spread which consisted of baked lasagna and Mexican tacos for the offering. Outstanding bedtime snack!

Beach: The beach was amazing! We were set up on the beach on the north end of the property by 8:00 each morning and we stayed until about 5. The beach area in front of Royal Solaris is very clean with lots of room, chairs, and shaded areas. The cocktail service on the beach was unbelievable. Never an empty drink and the servers came around what seemed like every 10 to 15 minutes. ***Make sure you bring a travel mug with you. The cups at the resort are small and the bartenders will fill those big mugs up for you! Plus if you ask for an extra shot or 2 they will accommodate! The white sands of the beach lead down to the clear blue water. The water was a little rough a couple of the days we were there but it was swimmable. One of the nice things about the location of the Solaris is you can walk quite a ways south and a long ways to the north if you like walking the beach. It’s especially nice in the morning when the sun is rising. There were vendors on the beach but they were not pushy at all. Most walked on by with a “no thank you” and didn’t bother you for the rest of the day.

Pool: We did not spend any time at the pool during our trip other than to pass by on our way to the beach or to grab a drink at the bar. There were always several bartenders at the walk-up/swim-up and the wait time for service was minimal if nonexistent. However the pool covers a lot of ground and looked like a fun place to hang out. I saw plenty of chairs around the pool as well as umbrellas for those not wanting to be in the sun. There was always some sort of entertainment/activity going on around the pool in the afternoon. As I passed by the pool on several occasions you could hear a staff member bellowing on a microphone when the music wasn't playing. I personally found this to be annoying however down on the beach this was a non factor. There was a kid area which looked to be great for little ones. There were lots of slides for the children in this separate area which was away from the partiers. If my kids were small I would not hesitate bringing them to Royal Solaris.

Bathrooms: Unlike several resorts I’ve visited there was always a men’s/ladies room nearby which was clean and air conditioned. Either out by the pool or beach or in the lobby a toilet was close.

Lobby Bar: Lots of seating in the lobby bar with excellent service. We spent several evenings in the lobby bar having cocktails and playing games. There was musical entertainment and several televisions to watch which mostly showed soccer.

Entertainment: We did not attend any of the shows in the evening however several of the other guest we spoke with raved about the evening shows.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and I’m sure we will stay at the Royal Solaris on our next visit to Cancun. Lastly…Even though gratuity is included in your all-inclusive package price take some extra money and tip these hard working people who provide such a great service. Most of the employees work for next to nothing and a dollar or two can really help these people and their families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vegas691
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review about our resort. We are happy to know you had a great stay with us. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is. We look forward to seeing you back soon !

Warm Regards,
^T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#75 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Royal Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!