“I truly enjoyed staying at the Royal Solaris”

Royal Solaris Cancun
Ranked #43 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I purchased a Groupon for this resort and had really no expectations. I had read basically ALL of the reviews and figured, why not. It was such a great deal and we were extremely pleased with everything.

First off, they offered us an "upgrade" to the sister resort next door. It had more restaurants, but everyone came to our pool and since we were only going to be there for 4 nights, we figured we didn't need to. I also asked to see our room before agreeing to this upgrade. We had a king size bed, balcony, refrigerator, safe, the works! Why would I want to leave that? So we declined, but did talk to some guests who took the upgrade and enjoyed it. (The sister hotel was the Royal Solaris Caribe.)

The food was average. We didn't go there for the food though. We went to drink, relax and get some sun. The food by the pool was good. It was great to snack on. Chips and salsa, chicken nuggets, fresh fruit, burgers, fries. The breakfast buffet was very good. Fresh made pancakes/waffles/omelets, *You can even ask your serve to head to the kitchen and bring out some bacon* They only offered sausage in the buffet.

The service here was amazing. I can honestly say everyone here is so nice. We left a tip out one day and asked for more beer. Sure enough, more beer was left in our refrigerator. (Ours was stocked with water, soda and beer everyday, we just enjoyed our patio so much, we liked to sit outside and enjoy a few.) When we checked in, they have someone show you around and try and pitch massage package deals and what not if you attend a time share meeting for an hour and a half. I read previous reviews that this was not worth it. We wanted to get in the sun, so we kindly said no thank you, slipped him a $5 and we were on our way!

The pool area is amazing. I would get up in the morning and put towels on chairs for us. There was never a problem not finding chairs, but of course we wanted ones close to the amazing pool bar. The beach was SO nice. It was soft white sand and the water was gorgeous. We swam everyday like kids... but had a great time!

The restaurants here are nice. Marco Polo was delicious. It really was a nice dinner. What I liked is that you didn't have to get up in the morning to wait in line to try and get reservations. It was first come first serve. Which was awesome.

We went out to dinner one night at Ruth's Chris. You walk down to the street and wait for a bus. We hopped on and headed downtown. We felt very safe and enjoyed some shopping as well.

We also used Cancun Shuttle as transportation to and from the airport. We took a private shuttle and it was perfect. We got outside after we landed, found our shuttle service and had a beer at the outdoor bar while we waited for our car. It came in about 5-10 minutes. They were very kind and we had nice vehicles to and from.

I would definitely come back to this resort. It was a fantastic trip and the groupon deal was SO worth it!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor with a Balcony. I HIGH recommend a balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LindsayAH
There are newer reviews for Royal Solaris Cancun

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Recently spent a week here with 2 other adult ladies for a girls getaway. We had requested a balcony room and lowest floor possible. Upon arrival at the hotel, the front desk infomed us that they had no balcony rooms available. We were a little bummed, but that was OK with us. After a moment the gentleman proceeds to tell us we could have a balcony room after all if we would pay $30 a day per person additional. We declined that and arrived at the room on the top floor of the hotel. So basically it doesn't matter that we asked for a lower floor. The rooms were clean but a bit outdated. That didn't really bother us since we spent most of days on the beach and at pool.
The food is good, not excellent. Alot of preparation put into the display of the food and we enjoyed the fresh guacomole and salsa each day! The pool area is well kept and very clean. The beach area was very nice. The wait staff at the restaurants and pool area were extremely nice and helpful. They get 5 stars for hospitality. The front desk staff, not so much. You have to pay for wifi each day per device. I later checked and most of the other resorts provide wifi free. This is another way to get additional money from you. I approached the front desk to see if they could check us in for our flight out. I was informed I would have to purchase wifi yet again to go online myself and do this. What hotel doesn't check you in for your flight?? The transfer from the hotel to airport came at noon only, so we had to end our day early and sit at the airport for hours when we had hoped to enjoy a llittle more time at the pool before we departed. They should have additional pick up times. When checking out, a group of 6 girls were checking in. They had booked their trip online through a travel company and were told 3 to a room was limit. The front desk was telling them that they had to purchase another room for the week and that only 2 to a room was their rule. Mind you, there were 3 in our room and that was fine. I found the front desk staff was not friendly and only interested in charging you additional money for everything. The rest of the wait staff was wonderful and friendly. This is my second trip to Cancun, and I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lorrie S
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back from the Royal Solaris All-Inclusive trip. My group and I spent 6 days there and were taken care of exceptionally well. The service was fantastic and all of the employees were extremely nice and seemed to be very happy to be working. The pool and entire property are well taken care of and extremely clean. Our ocean-view room was cleaned very well each and every day by the housekeeping staff. We absolutely loved our stay and can't wait to return at some point in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I loved this hotel for the location and service. The entertainment was excellent. Everyday there was something new to do. It was clean and the staff was fast asnd friendly! I will stay here anytime I vacation in Cancun. Nothing but smiles!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I know good food & great places to go & this is NOT ONE OF THEM. First Day waited .20 mines for our bags to reached the room. Ones you head up to your room, it's as if you paid for a Super 8 hotel!, food sucks, no flavors & always cold no matter where u went in the resort. This place is defiantly on the "chopping block"! Drinks sucks. U can drink 12 beers & not get drunk, mix drinks is very week & tasteless. Room size is ok, bath room is very small for 2 people, old TV & an Old small bridge w/only water in it. Toiles are very old & rough. Thin walls, so you will hear others talking next door, out in the hallway & lots of slamming doors. The consear is very pushy on making there sales like a "car sales men"!. There always wanting you to sign up for this & that & then add free, except .15 mines of wasting your time w/them, you will find out that nothing is free. Most importantly, internet is not FREE. You HAVE TO PAY for that as well. The only things I liked about my whole trip here, was the view of the Ocean, pool area & the outside of the resort. Looks great on the outside, but in the inside is a different story. Best Advice is go somewhere else other then Cancun Mexico, not worth my time & $$.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Saneta_13
Reviewed March 18, 2013

a group of friends and i took a trip to this hotel in may of 2012..hands down the best vacation of my life. the staff is so amazing so fun and friendly. the entertainment by the pool was awesome always had something fun going on... (tequila volleyball, dance competitions, belly flop contests, relay races) it was such a riot. right on the beautiful white sandy beach. we made friends with almost all the people who were down at the pools everyday. the rooms are nothing special but they are nothing to complain about either. we took a bus downtown from this hotel for the nightlife which was a blast and very cheap to do. i enjoyed the food but i am not a picky eater at all. i cant wait til i get to come back and stay here!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my first vacation in Cancun, so I can't compare to other available properties, but the Royal Solaris Resort in Cancun seemed to have it all.
Pefect location Beach front property, great suites, great pools, great restaurants, and great friendly helpful staff.

We had a one bedroom King bed suite with kitchette, well furnished living-room, dining table area, and large balcony with four lounge chairs. The room included iron/ironing board, two large flat screen TV's, and stocked mini-fridge that was kept stocked with beer/juice/soda provided under the all-incluesive. The only disappointment was that wi-fi was not included.

The Beach front had a deep white sand area, was uncrowded, and great for relaxing/tanning with plenty of sun and shaded seating. The ocean, while a bit rough, offered well flagged areas for swimming and recreation. I loved that things were not crowded and there was no jockying for chairs. Resort beach staff was very attentive in seeking and delivering drink/ food orders beachside.

The Pool areas were equally great. Of course there was the usually jockying for chairs at poolside, but that is inevitable for a Resort. The Pools had convienent pool bar seating, swim-up bar serve, and on-going entertainment to keep things lively with plentiful staff. Poolside also offered convenient restuarant choices, restrooms, and responsive staff regularly keeping you supplied with drinks. This was my first "All-incluesive" and I also found this a convenient vacation friendly way to go. I'm not a big drinker, but I think myself, my wife, and those we were with found ouorselves drinking a lot more due to the "All-incluesive" feature and attentive staff that kept them coming. There is a wide variety of specialty drinks available including Pinacoladas, Sexy-bananas, and anything you might want. Staff went out of their way to find me some Sambucca and even found a Mexican variety that was similar. While the resort discourages tipping, noting all tips are included in the "all-incluesive" price, I did bring a stacks of $1's and tried to be generous. The staff was definately attentive and deserved every tip I gave.

The food options at Royal Solaris were great. I found the Buffet to have a variety of good options and other "higher end" Restuarants were also available under the all-incluesive price. We generally had breakfast at the buffet and had several very nice higher-end style specialty dinners at Marco Polo's, Venetto's, and Bogata Restaurants. I preferred the slightly more casual feel of Bogato's and the presentation was excellent. The open-air buffet beachside was also great for lunches. We also went to a special dinner night at Carlo's and Charlie's bar in town that was a hoot complete with waiters dancing on the bar and those tall vacation drinks coming the entire time. I do want to give special praise for my favorite exceptional waiter "Miguel" at the buffet. Vicki, our resort host, was also exceptional.

We participated in the Ek Balam Mayan Ruin Tour and a Snorkling Tour. Both are highly recommended. The Ek Balam tour included bus transportation, a Mayan village lunch, great historical information on the Mayans, some great Mayan ruins where you can climb the pyramids, a Tiquila museum, and a swim in a gigantic sink hole to cool off. The site was well organized and not overcrowded. The scuba tour was equally great. Every two going get your own motor-boat and you go out to a Reef with your guide, snorkel for an hour, and then return. The self driven boat ride is a bit scary at times with some of the ocean waves, but definately adds to the excitement. The snorkling sites were ok, but we did capture some nice photos on our newly purchased underwater camera which I highly recommend doing. The tour also offers a souvenior photo of you in your boat for $15. All equipment for the snorkeling, boats, etc. is provided for $55 per person.

There are some great shopping malls available close-by too. Easily accessible by walking or a short bus trip for less than $1. Lots of high-end shops and low-end souvenior shops. Stores are well guarded by armed guards and I saw no problems. I did however, have a problem with stolen credit card info the same day so be wary. Luckily I received an email and had the Credit card quickly canceled and avoided any further problems.

Each night the Royal Solaris offers live entertainment. This was somewhat cruise ship quality, but we did go each night and enjoyed it. There was also live entertainment each night with dancing just off the main lobby area. The Resort also offers off-resort Clubbing jaunts with bus transportation. My wife loved the Spa treatments also available at the Resort and there is also a great gym if you want to keep on top of things while on vacation.

Most of the staff at the Royal Solaris is exceptional. Most work from 6am to 11pm. Some of the same staff you see as waiters or poolside are also part of the entertainment shows. All are to be highly commended and always have a smile on their face and are eager to make your vacation special. I highly recommend your bring a pile of $1's for tipping. I think you will agree that tips are well deserved. You will never want for a drink or other service while at the Royal Solaris. The grounds are exceptionally clean and well maintained.

All-in-all, we loved the Royal Solaris and I highly recommend it to everyone. We definately will return again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank bigoak1997
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay in our Hotel. We loved reading that you enjoyed our facilities and also, thank you for pointing out how great our staff is. We value your feedback because we are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience.
We are looking forward to see you soon again !
Best regards,
Hoteles Solaris de México
^T

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#75 of 176 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#47 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Royal Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!