“Royal Solaris Good but not great”

Royal Solaris Cancun
Ranked #36 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Royal Solaris Good but not great”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Recently spent a week here with 2 other adult ladies for a girls getaway. We had requested a balcony room and lowest floor possible. Upon arrival at the hotel, the front desk infomed us that they had no balcony rooms available. We were a little bummed, but that was OK with us. After a moment the gentleman proceeds to tell us we could have a balcony room after all if we would pay $30 a day per person additional. We declined that and arrived at the room on the top floor of the hotel. So basically it doesn't matter that we asked for a lower floor. The rooms were clean but a bit outdated. That didn't really bother us since we spent most of days on the beach and at pool.
The food is good, not excellent. Alot of preparation put into the display of the food and we enjoyed the fresh guacomole and salsa each day! The pool area is well kept and very clean. The beach area was very nice. The wait staff at the restaurants and pool area were extremely nice and helpful. They get 5 stars for hospitality. The front desk staff, not so much. You have to pay for wifi each day per device. I later checked and most of the other resorts provide wifi free. This is another way to get additional money from you. I approached the front desk to see if they could check us in for our flight out. I was informed I would have to purchase wifi yet again to go online myself and do this. What hotel doesn't check you in for your flight?? The transfer from the hotel to airport came at noon only, so we had to end our day early and sit at the airport for hours when we had hoped to enjoy a llittle more time at the pool before we departed. They should have additional pick up times. When checking out, a group of 6 girls were checking in. They had booked their trip online through a travel company and were told 3 to a room was limit. The front desk was telling them that they had to purchase another room for the week and that only 2 to a room was their rule. Mind you, there were 3 in our room and that was fine. I found the front desk staff was not friendly and only interested in charging you additional money for everything. The rest of the wait staff was wonderful and friendly. This is my second trip to Cancun, and I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorrie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Kingston, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back from the Royal Solaris All-Inclusive trip. My group and I spent 6 days there and were taken care of exceptionally well. The service was fantastic and all of the employees were extremely nice and seemed to be very happy to be working. The pool and entire property are well taken care of and extremely clean. Our ocean-view room was cleaned very well each and every day by the housekeeping staff. We absolutely loved our stay and can't wait to return at some point in the future!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I loved this hotel for the location and service. The entertainment was excellent. Everyday there was something new to do. It was clean and the staff was fast asnd friendly! I will stay here anytime I vacation in Cancun. Nothing but smiles!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I know good food & great places to go & this is NOT ONE OF THEM. First Day waited .20 mines for our bags to reached the room. Ones you head up to your room, it's as if you paid for a Super 8 hotel!, food sucks, no flavors & always cold no matter where u went in the resort. This place is defiantly on the "chopping block"! Drinks sucks. U can drink 12 beers & not get drunk, mix drinks is very week & tasteless. Room size is ok, bath room is very small for 2 people, old TV & an Old small bridge w/only water in it. Toiles are very old & rough. Thin walls, so you will hear others talking next door, out in the hallway & lots of slamming doors. The consear is very pushy on making there sales like a "car sales men"!. There always wanting you to sign up for this & that & then add free, except .15 mines of wasting your time w/them, you will find out that nothing is free. Most importantly, internet is not FREE. You HAVE TO PAY for that as well. The only things I liked about my whole trip here, was the view of the Ocean, pool area & the outside of the resort. Looks great on the outside, but in the inside is a different story. Best Advice is go somewhere else other then Cancun Mexico, not worth my time & $$.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Saneta_13
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed March 18, 2013

a group of friends and i took a trip to this hotel in may of 2012..hands down the best vacation of my life. the staff is so amazing so fun and friendly. the entertainment by the pool was awesome always had something fun going on... (tequila volleyball, dance competitions, belly flop contests, relay races) it was such a riot. right on the beautiful white sandy beach. we made friends with almost all the people who were down at the pools everyday. the rooms are nothing special but they are nothing to complain about either. we took a bus downtown from this hotel for the nightlife which was a blast and very cheap to do. i enjoyed the food but i am not a picky eater at all. i cant wait til i get to come back and stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Batavia, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my first vacation in Cancun, so I can't compare to other available properties, but the Royal Solaris Resort in Cancun seemed to have it all.
Pefect location Beach front property, great suites, great pools, great restaurants, and great friendly helpful staff.

We had a one bedroom King bed suite with kitchette, well furnished living-room, dining table area, and large balcony with four lounge chairs. The room included iron/ironing board, two large flat screen TV's, and stocked mini-fridge that was kept stocked with beer/juice/soda provided under the all-incluesive. The only disappointment was that wi-fi was not included.

The Beach front had a deep white sand area, was uncrowded, and great for relaxing/tanning with plenty of sun and shaded seating. The ocean, while a bit rough, offered well flagged areas for swimming and recreation. I loved that things were not crowded and there was no jockying for chairs. Resort beach staff was very attentive in seeking and delivering drink/ food orders beachside.

The Pool areas were equally great. Of course there was the usually jockying for chairs at poolside, but that is inevitable for a Resort. The Pools had convienent pool bar seating, swim-up bar serve, and on-going entertainment to keep things lively with plentiful staff. Poolside also offered convenient restuarant choices, restrooms, and responsive staff regularly keeping you supplied with drinks. This was my first "All-incluesive" and I also found this a convenient vacation friendly way to go. I'm not a big drinker, but I think myself, my wife, and those we were with found ouorselves drinking a lot more due to the "All-incluesive" feature and attentive staff that kept them coming. There is a wide variety of specialty drinks available including Pinacoladas, Sexy-bananas, and anything you might want. Staff went out of their way to find me some Sambucca and even found a Mexican variety that was similar. While the resort discourages tipping, noting all tips are included in the "all-incluesive" price, I did bring a stacks of $1's and tried to be generous. The staff was definately attentive and deserved every tip I gave.

The food options at Royal Solaris were great. I found the Buffet to have a variety of good options and other "higher end" Restuarants were also available under the all-incluesive price. We generally had breakfast at the buffet and had several very nice higher-end style specialty dinners at Marco Polo's, Venetto's, and Bogata Restaurants. I preferred the slightly more casual feel of Bogato's and the presentation was excellent. The open-air buffet beachside was also great for lunches. We also went to a special dinner night at Carlo's and Charlie's bar in town that was a hoot complete with waiters dancing on the bar and those tall vacation drinks coming the entire time. I do want to give special praise for my favorite exceptional waiter "Miguel" at the buffet. Vicki, our resort host, was also exceptional.

We participated in the Ek Balam Mayan Ruin Tour and a Snorkling Tour. Both are highly recommended. The Ek Balam tour included bus transportation, a Mayan village lunch, great historical information on the Mayans, some great Mayan ruins where you can climb the pyramids, a Tiquila museum, and a swim in a gigantic sink hole to cool off. The site was well organized and not overcrowded. The scuba tour was equally great. Every two going get your own motor-boat and you go out to a Reef with your guide, snorkel for an hour, and then return. The self driven boat ride is a bit scary at times with some of the ocean waves, but definately adds to the excitement. The snorkling sites were ok, but we did capture some nice photos on our newly purchased underwater camera which I highly recommend doing. The tour also offers a souvenior photo of you in your boat for $15. All equipment for the snorkeling, boats, etc. is provided for $55 per person.

There are some great shopping malls available close-by too. Easily accessible by walking or a short bus trip for less than $1. Lots of high-end shops and low-end souvenior shops. Stores are well guarded by armed guards and I saw no problems. I did however, have a problem with stolen credit card info the same day so be wary. Luckily I received an email and had the Credit card quickly canceled and avoided any further problems.

Each night the Royal Solaris offers live entertainment. This was somewhat cruise ship quality, but we did go each night and enjoyed it. There was also live entertainment each night with dancing just off the main lobby area. The Resort also offers off-resort Clubbing jaunts with bus transportation. My wife loved the Spa treatments also available at the Resort and there is also a great gym if you want to keep on top of things while on vacation.

Most of the staff at the Royal Solaris is exceptional. Most work from 6am to 11pm. Some of the same staff you see as waiters or poolside are also part of the entertainment shows. All are to be highly commended and always have a smile on their face and are eager to make your vacation special. I highly recommend your bring a pile of $1's for tipping. I think you will agree that tips are well deserved. You will never want for a drink or other service while at the Royal Solaris. The grounds are exceptionally clean and well maintained.

All-in-all, we loved the Royal Solaris and I highly recommend it to everyone. We definately will return again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bigoak1997
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay in our Hotel. We loved reading that you enjoyed our facilities and also, thank you for pointing out how great our staff is. We value your feedback because we are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience.
We are looking forward to see you soon again !
Best regards,
Hoteles Solaris de México
^T
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The only reason I rated this hotel as "Poor" is because of the lack of entertainment for young adults. It is very family oriented so I understand, I just wish I knew this before visiting in 2011. But that wouldn't matter anyway because I visited with my dad that time.

Rooms: Two Beds, TV, lack of closet or drawers, great view with Jacuzzi(too bad it looked far from clean)

Food: We visited the restaurant below the lobby(not sure if it has a name). The breakfast was good, they had cereal, bacon, eggs. A big variety of sweets, breads and fruits. But then again you can't really screw up breakfast. Dinnertime, was great as well. The people behind the counter could make you steaks or whatever you asked for. The desserts were really yummy!(I have a sweet tooth)

Pool: The pool area was bombarded by little children running everywhere! It really annoyed me to be quite honest. The entertainment staff had little shows throughout the day, none which I found interesting. They DID have a buffet by the pool which I really liked, for a skinny girl I eat enough for 3 people. I munched on hog dogs, and burgers!:) That was about the only positive thing about the pool area.

Service: Could have been better, the housekeeper was very attentive in the cleaning process and left a mint every night.

Will I visit again? No.

Room Tip: Beach view isn't all that great, so don't spend the extra money for one.