“Exceptional customer service makes up for mediocre food and rooms.”

Royal Solaris Cancun
Ranked #41 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Exceptional customer service makes up for mediocre food and rooms.”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Marco Polo restaurant has the best food (fancy flaming coffee!) and you can't beat 5 course dinners with all the wine/cocktails you would like. The lobby ambiance and outdated fixtures make the hotel seem a bit old. Was clean and good value for money (all inclusive drinks and food--you'll never go hungry and keep quite a buzz if you like...). Excellent customer service with friendly staff willing to go the extra mile to keep you happy.
Is definitely not one of the more modern and fancy/expensive hotels which would probably make it good for families. Pools were comfortable and the entire resort felt very safe. WIFI is an extra $15/day but it felt good to be unplugged for a few. The evening shows are not the best entertainment but amusing at least. The only annoying thing were the entertainment staff at the pool who talk into a microphone all day long with their drinking games and nightclub promotions...

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms are on the lagoon side...even numbered rooms view the ocean. we were on the 7th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Royal Solaris in Cancun has great location, close enough to the action of the center of town and still enjoys peace and quiet.

The staff are friendly and very accomodating. The food is great value for the money. We also enjoyed the nightly shows. We got to enjoy a beautiful rendition of a Tango dance. The dancers were great. They do have many activities troughout the day.

Special commendation are due to Susie our greeter and to Saray at breakfast time. I think we will be back next year and we will bring the family with us.

2 Thank anac55
Deerfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The beach was really clean and clear and nice in front of the hotel. Few vendors and the ones that did come around were not high pressure. The pools were nice but the water cold. The food was excellent and there were lots of options. Each night was a different theme like Mexican, Italian, etc. Service is really good and staff is super nice. There is a kids club with activities throughout the day that was fun. They do like arts and crafts and games. My 2-year old enjoyed that. Also there is a kids only pool area with animals and the water is only a couple feet deep. Really nice. I'd go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BadgerFan09
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Royal Solaris. Our first time in Cancun. The hotel is a bit dated but the staff, they are phenomenal. Our housekeeper Margareta is commendable. Everyday she would make our beds with different designs. The spa is beautiful, Myra, the spa manager, was so pleasant. She suggested a treatment that we both enjoyed and was the best. My therapist Marisol, who's pregnant, I want to wish her the best.
I give this hotel high ratings for it's cleanliness, you find a staff member cleaning at all times. The drinks are just colorful and sweet,not much alcohol. The only downfall is the buffet. My friend is vegetarian and the selection is poor. We mainly ate at Marco Polo restaurant, and the Rosmarinus restaurant, they have the best staff, especially Cinthia,Lupita and Guadalupe. They make you feel like royalty.
I suggest taking the public transportation, only 70 peso and it's a pleasant drive to the market area. The walls in the room are thin, so be careful what noise you make.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Royal Solaris in October and while the Hotel Staff were fantastic so many other things we just horrible.

The first and most important thing to note was the food. The food was bland and either lacked flavor or just tasted bad. Meat is dry and tough (which on a side note you cannot even cut the meat with the knife that is provided at your table, you will need to ask for one), everything seems pre-processed and pre-packaged (which considering the labor cost over there is just adding insult to injury), and the fruit and vegetables are hit and miss(sometimes they are not ripe, sometimes rotten, sometimes over cooked, and sometimes they taste like cleaning chemicals). You will also have a lot of the same items night after night. One night I can recall more than any was "Italian Night". There were no spices whatsoever in the sauces and the "pizza" that they made was just tomato puree and cheese with various meats. It was so bad that I could not even force myself to eat it in order to save money. By that point I was fed up with subpar food which might be ok for intoxicated people but was in no way a suitable meal for those with working taste buds. It would seem that the hotel is struggling in the financial department and sadly cannot afford proper food or proper chefs (which again is sad considering that most of the workers are paid between 200-300 USD a week).

The second is that the Hotel offers no purchasable alcoholic beverages which means that while yes the drinks are free they are also below bottom shelf brands which tend to be a little less friendly the next day regardless of how much you have to drink. I would have gladly paid for a quality drink had they had it but I just ended up not drinking there.

When we booked our stay they told my wife that she could eat at any of the Solaris family hotels which turned out to be not true. We were also guaranteed a king size bed which we needed to fight for in order to be put into one. I imagine that due to the limited number of King size beds that they have they prefer to reserve those for people who did not book through expedia or other similar sites in order to provide more value for those paying the standard rate. I would have no problem with that if they were only honest about it and did not allow bookings for those rooms through those sites.

The time it takes to check in is also on average between 10-15 minutes per room which you may think “well we only need to check in once” which is true however if you need something from the front desk and there are people checking in be prepared to wait. After checking in the staff gave me non-working keys and I needed to wait in line for 35 minutes to get working keys to a room that was not what I was guaranteed so I needed to wait another 20 minutes to even speak with the front desk about that.

The room that we stayed in was maintained well by the housekeeping staff however the shower always smelled like sewage which I just attributed to being the way outdated Mexican hotels are so I didn’t take any points away for that. One major problem is that the rooms are always damp. We had used towels from our first day there and we hung them up for an entire week and they still had not dried so we had to take wet towels back home in our luggage.

Bottom line is this, for an all-inclusive Hotel this place fails miserably , if we did not already have lunch everyday outside of the hotel from tours we had booked we would have been going out everyday for lunch and dinner. There is no added value in booking with this all inclusive hotel, you are better off trying to find a place that is cheaper and not inclusive because it is just that bad. However I will say that I imagine for young college aged or mid twenty something’s that this place may be ok if you are only concerned about all you can drink and then get so drunk the food becomes edible. I rated this place a 2 only because the staff really is great.

4 Thank Jason T
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I checking on 10/5 Sebastien was our greeter he did an excellent job during the hotel tours. Restaurant staff were very courteous, friendly, kind and pleasant specialy Saray and Edgar at Breakfast time.But the floor we stayed was under repair, I got sick from the smell of the paint, we should been notify by front desk at checking ,not days later with a notice on the door. I m back home, still not feeling well .

2 Thank Edna C
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food was disgusting, Chicken tacos and the like were filled with skin and cartilage. They say they have 3 restaurants, but only 2 are open at a time. Staff was nice. NO WIFI. They lie on their website and other travel sites saying it's free. It's $15/day. Couldn't enjoy the beach due to the peddlers selling their junk. You'd think the resort would be free from that. Spend more money and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cinjewel
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
On behalf of Royal Solaris Cancún, we would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while vacationing with us.

We thanks your comments that help us to improve our service, let us inform you actually we work making changes adding more variety of dishes from the menus according to the observations of our guests.

Our guests are the most important people for us and we do our best to satisfy their necessities.

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
^A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#76 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Royal Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!