“Always Royal Solaris” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Dimondale, Michigan
“Always Royal Solaris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have been going to Royal Soaris for 14 years in a row. Most always in July. The turtles are laying their eggs and if you go late in July they are hatching and you participate in the release. The staff is very fantastic. There is a server named Irma, this year she was at Pool Caribe. We first started enjoying her service in the bar at the Royal Tower. Then at the bar in the Caribe tower. I did not find her until the last day, I showed her a picture of her and I from a few years ago. She is very nice and a hard worker. We will see her next year.

Room Tip: Caribe Tower has been recently remolded.
4 Thank tracyfwebb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

we went as a group of 27 people and we all have fun and the service were great especially the girl name Paola who work at the restaurant Las fuente she always smile and very polite and even help us going out of town to buy the sourvenir that we couldnt find, she is just amazing and we all appreciate what she have done for us, the one complain i have is at the restaurant Marco polo the waiters expect everyone to tip at least $1 per person we have 27 people we tip $23 dollars but they dont look appreciate we would tip berakfast, lunch, and dinner but arent the tip suppose to be just a few dollars since the gratuity is include in the all inclusive, i would recommend the hotel but the wait er staff has to reconsider their attitude, we tip every restaurant we eat at but never expect a dollar ahead. Over all the whole trip was great and Paola is the best

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ken t
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Royal Solaris Cancun is an average hotel overall. I've stayed at many of the hotels in Cancun over the years. This hotel is located about 10 hotels from the start of the hotel zone, so you are closer to the airport, but pretty far from all of the action.

We stayed on the resort the entire week, except for the day of departure we took a $13 cab ride into the main shopping area, and a $14 cab ride back to the hotel. I've previously stayed at the Sunset which is walking distance from this area, so if shopping and clubbing are a priority, I would recommend staying around the Sunset. Other than our 1 trip into town, we were fine being where we were, I've done most of the tours already so we just wanted to relax on the resort.

The buffets were ok, sometimes we were surprised by a good dish here or there, but overall I'd say it's comparable to a budget Vegas buffet. The outdoor restaurant was much better, we had mostly good meals there, from small buffets, cook to order dishes and for dinner you order off the menu. We didn't get to try their formal restaurant as I did not bring any long pants or collared shirts which are a requirement for men. It is Cancun in July so I didn't think to bring anything nice or warm to wear. So we could have missed out on much better food, I'm sure it was better than the buffet.

We had a lagoon view room, didn't pay the extra for an ocean view. However it's still pretty nice, in most hotels if you don't get an ocean view you'll probably have a view of the parking lot, but we still had a view of water and amazing sunsets. Everything in the room is basic, nothing fancy, clean but not up to the standards of most Starwood hotels we're used to. We did have a small in room safe that fit an 11" Macbook Air. Anything larger wouldn't fit and I would not want to leave valuables laying around unattended in Cancun.

Service was good to very good, most of the wait staff and bartenders were attentive. We had very few issues with service. Although tips are included, we tipped as if we were in the US. I'm sure this had something to do with the better service as the poolside bartender would bring drinks without asking if we needed more.

Timeshare presentations: The concierge gives a little tour and intro to the hotel after checking in and tries to schedule a timeshare presentation, cleverly disguised as a tour of their sister resorts. They offered massages or tours if we would go on the tour, but we declined a few times and she moved on. Only one other time we received a call to come get a welcome packet but we never went and weren't bothered again the whole week. Sitting in the bar we would hear the other groups coming in and some were higher pressure than others, some even saying it's a mandatory tour and getting a refundable cash deposit. I know with some of the promos they give a discount on your stay with a timeshare presentation so just be aware of the terms of your stay.

Overall it was a relaxing week, for the price it was a bargain, but we would have enjoyed better food, possibly the formal restaurant would have solved that issue. There were mostly families and a lot of kids, but it is Summer so that is to be expected at a non adults only resort.

2 Thank Todd H
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Remarks:
"We just got back from 5 nights at the Royal Solaris Cancun. After reading many reviews, we decided to try it. We booked directly through the Solaris and received a great deal but we needed to go to a 90 minute vacation club presentation (more about that later). Overall we probably won't go back. Everything at the Royal Solaris is "just ok." I should also mention, about half of the hotel was locals vacationing. Didn't bother me too much, but it was notable.

Hotel Room - Rooms were average. You pay extra for a balcony, but it is worth it. The regular "deluxe" rooms are small, and musty. The views of the hotel are good. One side overlooks the beach, the other overlooks the large lagoon which is nice also (you get the sunset on this side). Beds were comfortable. The Bathroom is ok with a shower stall, single sink, and toilet. nothing special. The rooms have no carpeting and are completely tiled. Not bad but you really need something on your feet to walk around since the floor gets wet from humidity. Plus if you are wet, you will slip. Only 10 English speaking TV channels with Spanish subtitles. This got old.

Hotel Surroundings and Pool -This was the best part. The pool was expansive and clean. Great for kids to explore. The volleyball game was a favorite activity. The Beach was excellent, with lounge chairs always available and very clean. The waves were moderate which made for a refreshing swim.

Activities - The staff does provide activities, one I remember is Bingo, and some other stretching activities, but overall, unless you love crowds, you stay away during those times.

Staff - Some were not as responsive as others but I think that was because they didn't understand enough English, so it helps if you speak Spanish to them. Surprisingly, the front desk people were the least friendly of the staff.

Tipping - We found no real difference in tipping vs not tipping. The all inclusive says tips included, but the drinks are so watered down, there is no benefit to tip.

Breakfast - Large buffet. omelet station, waffle, pancake, and French toast station, and a smoothie station. Plus fresh fruit, muffins, a variety of meats and potatoes, cereals and danishes. There was never a wait for a table. But the lines for the omelets and waffles were long.

Lunch - There are munchies out by the pool (hot dogs, nachos, sandwiches), but for a meal, I tried the buffet lunch in the outside restaurant near the pool. It was very good. Serving fresh seafood and salads with lots of variety.

Dinners were good- Definitely eat in the nice restaurants.

Vacation Club Sales Presentation - Depending on how you book or if you want a some perks when you get there, you can attend their 90 minute sales presentation. This is for their vacation club. Presentation is about 90 minutes. Typical sales process. First you meet with the sales person who takes you to the Royal Caribe and shows you a room. Then taxi to the GR Solaris for the sales meeting. Once the sales person gives you the deal and you say no, then the manager comes over. He then, with your sales person there, negotiates with you. The initial prices for a regular room 60 weeks over 30 years is $40k. But when the manager comes over, things get reduced about $10k to $20k. Then they double the weeks to 120. The manager really tries to get things going by adding other incentives. After you say no again, the closer comes over. The closer tries to get you one last time by asking what they can do to buy today. As a final effort, they will offer a 3 week trip to any of their resorts for an excellent price. The trip is good for 3 years and ours was for up to six people for $2,000.00. Then they stress the benefits of Ice Platinum and the various promotions, that have your mind swimming. I am in sales, and I still bought the promotion because it seemed like a good idea at the time. These guys are VERY good at their craft. Luckily Mexican law allows cancellation of timeshares for 5 business days, so I cancelled. I don't have a problem doing so, because they were VERY high pressure. Keep in mind, timeshare sales have changed, and they no longer require annual maintenance fees, but have other hidden fees like all inclusive fees when you book your trip, and they are very high.

We had a friend in our group who had booked a Groupon deal and stayed at the Royal Caribe in their villa. They basically got the best room in all the properties with no "club" to join or commitment. They also received all the perks of the "members" like stocked mini fridge, lobster dinner, robes...etc. Lesson learned is there are deals out there all the time, you do not need to join a club or timeshare to get the deals.

Room Tip: This is a good value for the money, if you like a nice beach, pool and decent food. Definitely cons...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank mulva324
Saint Charles, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Overall, I thought it was a nice trip. I'm more of a "food is sustenance" kind of person and the food was edible...so the food didn't bother me. I will say that the "Marco Polo" restaurant for dinner was well worth wearing long pants for. It was comfortable, quiet, and the food was great.

The bed was FIRM...which is the way I like it so I was happy. If you prefer a soft, pillow top bed...you're out of luck. This was by far the firmest bed I've ever had in a hotel. I was actually a little worried at first, but I slept great!

There are a couple things I noticed that I wish were different.

1) The waiters that come to the beach won't bring you anything non-alcoholic...not even water. In fact the only place you can get bottled water is from the fridge in your room..which is restocked each day.

2) They don't have lemons...only limes...but we noticed that was consistent everywhere in Cancun.

3) There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so if you take a shower you better have the A/C on full blast or your whole room will be coated with a layer of moisture. I almost fell crossing the room because the floor was so wet. Opening the door to the balcony didn't help...it was too humid outside!

4) The bathroom door creaked BADLY, which is problematic when nature calls at 2am.

5) There's no room service...at all...you have to switch to (and pay extra for) the Caribe Tower to get room service.

6) There is no ATM machine in the hotel...or nearby...and our DEBIT cards were consistently declined in the gift shops. I ran out of cash one day an had to borrow 8 pesos (roughly $0.60) form the bell hop so I could take a bus to the nearest bank. Kudos to the bell hop for offering and of course I paid him back triple for doing so.

7) Finally, I wish they weren't cranking out the dance music all day at the pool...I'd have preferred some light Caribbean or Reggae...But that's personal taste. It's hard to read with all the noise and music at the pool but the beach is actually quieter. If you sneak up to the pool at the Caribe Tower...it's ideal for relaxation.

As I said, overall it was a nice place but not fancy. It's definitely a bargain shoppers kind of place. Skip the extra expense of the Jacuzzi Balcony Room and put that toward an upgrade to the Caribe Tower if possible. Better Food, Better Pool, Nicer Rooms, Room Service!, and you can still use everything at the main hotel too.

Room Tip: We sprung for the Ocean View Jacuzzi Balcony room...It was nice to have the balcony but we only used...
6 Thank Terry P
Mayfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I recently returned from what was supposed to be the sublime reunion between me and the Royal Solaris...NOT SO!
Let me begin by saying, I am NOT a timeshare (vacation club) member....
I have been to the Royal Solaris numerous times before (even reviewed it on tripadvisor previously) so needless to say I was expecting the usual FABULOUS service and treatment that I have experienced every other time I have been here, not just from the servers but from the front office, management and hospitality departments.
I went with a friend who has never been to Mexico and never been at an all inclusive. I had raved to her about the treatment, the service, the fun, the hotel itself and it's restaurants/food (which previously had been spectacular for an all inclusive place).
When we arrived we were greeted and given a welcome cocktail while we awaited check in. Upon check in our room was already available and they put us in a balcony lagoon facing room. KUDOS for the balcony at no additional charge.(This has beennormal SO FAR.)
We had asked for a coffe maker like they had previously provided for me all the other times and we were given the run around. The front desk wouldn't confirm it, hospitality couldn'tconfimr and management was worthless. (I speak Spanish fluently so it wasn't a communication issue.) Finally I stopped our housekeeping personnel and asked to speak with the supervisor - who actually remembered me from my prior visits. She kindly brought us our coffee maker and a full supply of bottled water and coffee and apologized for the poor treatment provided by the front desk and front office stating "You are our bosses. Without you, we wouldn't have a job." (How could management not understand this?) She then proceeded to bring us robes and slippers as well, like I had before. (Please understand, I am NOT a snob, but I was on vacation and had been accustomed to this treatment before they changed their mindset in the front office. Also, I tip very well and respect them immensely. They work very hard and are GROSSLY UNDERPAID!)
So then we went for lunch, anticipating Bogavante on the waterfront with the gulls and it's refreshing breeze, but we were told, "It's different now. You have a PURPLE BRACELET and cannot eat here. You are NOT a MEMBER." When I explained I had been there numerous times, and even the head waiter came over and greeted me at that moment, calling me by name, and gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek, they still declined and stated, "PURPLE BRACELET". The waiter stated I should not have a purple bracelet because of the amount of times I have stayed there and the hostess told me, "Go to the front desk. I can't help you.You have a PURPLE BRACELET!"
I arrived at the front desk and asked why I ahd a purple bracelet. After confirming I had been there numerous times, they advised me that it was because it was the first time the person I was with was there, so we both HAD TO HAVE a PURPLE BRACELET. (Not an "I'm sorry" we made a mistake" or an "I'm sorry, but our policy has changed. We will allow you to eat there this once then you must use the other restauranants." NO APOLOGY, just tat I HAD TO HAVE A PURPLE BRACELET because of someone else no matter what!)
So, we proceeded to try to eat lunch at one of the "4" restaurants tha they boasted in the confirmation of reservation we received when we booked...Rosemarinus. It was not open...sighting weather conditions. (As previously stated, I have been here numerous times and the weather was the same as any other time I came and they were open then. Out of 8 days they only opened it 1 time. The rest of the time we were resigned to eating at the other "3" restaurants (one was actually a snack bar and the other was the ALA CARTE, open for dinner only, Marco Polo.) Needless to say we were stuck with BUFFET BREAKFAST AND LUNCH 7 days that week at 1 (only ONE) restaurant, yet our confirmation clearly stated 4 restaurants to choose from...go figure. Management again advised that they had to take into consideration the weather - which was typical sun, warm and breezy Cancun weather.)
We did manage to get (at no additional cost) food poisoning from Las Fuentes, the ONLY rstaurant available to us for BREAKFAST AND LUNCH. (I don't consider a snack bar as a restaurant!)
So for dinner every night we ate at Marco Polo, which had also changed. They now only offer 3-4 menus (Italian, French, International and Fusion) that they rotated on a daily basis. (1 day Italian, 1 day French, etc.) So, we ate each twice while we were there and they had the same offerings on each menu, each time they posted it. No variety for a long stay other than the type of food.
As far as for what I expected, they FAILED to live up to what they promised us and confirmed/booked us. Also, the entertainment team wasn't the same and I understand they move on and go to better things, but overall they were ok. Very similar shows like always with a few changes. Nice to have at the resort when you don't want to spend more money going to party all night long.
That being said, the service of the actual employees, who work very hard, was SPECTACULAR!
HUGE SHOUT OUTS TO THESE STELLAR TEAM PLAYERS:
- Marco Polo: Abigail, Guilberto, Oscar, German, and Henry
- Pool Bar: Manual and Benjamin
- Housekeeping: Monseraat, Alex and Alejandro
- Flaming Coffees: Alfredo and Alex
I am supposed to be coming back in September but not sure I will return here as I am bringing another "first timer" and don't want to go through this again!
### SIDE NOTE: WATCH OUT FOR JORGE VELASQUEZ O. if you are doing time share presentation....JUST SAY NO!!!!! (My friend wanted to see if it would be worth it to "upgrade" by doing the "vacation club" and bcoming a "member" as they call it, and be able to eat at all the other restaurants. She was prepared to even pay up front. Well, he too LIED and told her whatever she wanted to hear until I plainly said, "That means we will be able to upgrade this immediately? Move to the new room and partake of the benefits of "membership" we are paying for" and he replied, "Well, I CAN'T get you upgraded now, but I can have it done Thursday or Friday." (We were leaving Sunday morning and she was paying in full, up front, before we were even going to leave the presentation and he still couldn't/wouldn't do it because..."YOU HAVE A PURPLE BRACELET. I CAN'T DO THAT", he said!) #######
################## STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK/USE CAUTION. SERVERS GREAT! SERVICE FROM OFFICE/MANAGEMENT HORRIBLE!!!! #######################

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank way2gorjus4u
Logan, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Went on a Honeymoon and they treated us very well. We had a great time. They upgraded our room to an ocean view. It was beautiful. The pool was very nice. Lots of chairs and a few shaded chairs that you could always get. They had good entertainment poolside and a swim up bar. We don't drink alcohol so I don't know if it was any good or not. The little beach area was nice.
The in hotel travel arrangements were awesome. You could set up little excursions. We did the Mayan experience and had a fantastic time! It was well worth the time. The mini boats and scuba diving was fun also.
It is an all inclusive hotel but the food was poor! That is really my only complaint. It's poor quality buffet food. My wife ended up getting sick and struggling to find something she liked. The best food came from the snack shack that was by the pool. It only had mexican food one night. The rest was immitation american food.
They had great entertainment shows at night and offered local shops to come set up on latin night to sell their goods. We got a painting that is beautiful and a cherished memory. The staff was very nice and helpful. It was a great time, just do food elsewhere.

Room Tip: You can hear other rooms pretty easily but the ocean view can be seen from either side really. I gue...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple