“Not Bad...Could Be Good With Some Attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #88 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not Bad...Could Be Good With Some Attention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I and another couple vacation almost annually together. We've done Cabo San Lucas, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and several cruises together. This was the first time we utilized a Groupon deal to book. This was a 7 day/6 night vacation. We flew First Class which was nice. Transfer to the hotel was timely and air conditioned so we were off to a great start. The Grand Pyramid lobby is not air conditioned and the check in process entirely too long without air. On top off it, the timeshare people harass you as you wait and sweat...no bueno! Once we were checked in and "upgraded" we were directed to our beachfront room. it was moldy, with a broken patio door and seemingly non-working air conditioning. We returned to the desk and were changed to the lagoon/golf course facing room in the Palmar building(number 4). A great, clean, rust free, AC blasting venue...ah....happiness! Opt for this building if you want quiet, modern and clean. The staff is super friendly too! The beachfront is for the Spring breaker/20 somethings...we're all over 50. During the day and well into the night the Playa 1 and 2 have a DJ blasting music. The nightclubs, etc are all over toward Playa 1 if that's what you seek. The pool was nice, the restaurants were all pretty decent....since we were "grand" visitors we had access to the VIP lounge and all of the a la carte dinner offering too. Try Tunkul for breakfast and Cocoa and Careyes for dinner....they were splendid and classy. Plenty of activities were offered but we were there to relax. As I noted, we booked this through a Groupon deal so we didn't really research the property as usual. We generally go adults only but the kids weren't too loud or unruly down on our end. The shows are wonderful and the singers in Fountainbleau were good ( I'm a music producer/engineer). The grounds were magnificent and well kept. You felt safe at all times. The service overall is decent if you try to speak Spanish you'll be treated better even if your Spanish is terrible...just trying makes friends. Tipping helps too. If the resort would put their better English speakers at the front desk some of the poor perceptions/misunderstandings might decrease. All total we had a good time...probably wouldn't return however as we've been spoiled by other destinations with 5 star/anticipatory service (Ritz Carlton in Jamaica, Excellence Resorts in DR, and Pueblo Bonita in Cabo). You do get what you pay for and we've come to expect more for our $. If you want a family oriented, economical vacation or are a poor college student looking for drinks and more drinks...this is your spot. If you hold an AARP card go up the road to the Sun Palace.

Room Tip: Room in Palmar building 4, 6th floor away from the elevator are the best in the house...all renovate...
2 Thank Brent B
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Brent,

First and foremost we would like to thank you for choosing us as hosts of your stay here in Cancun. We greatly appreciate your comments and will take these into account when making adjustments to our resort. It gives us great pleasure that you enjoyed our restaurants and drink options; we take great care in providing variety and quality in all of our establishments.
Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, as your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us. Our entertainment team works hard to put on activities and shows for our guests so we are delighted that you enjoyed these.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you and your girlfriend back in the very near future.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We just returned this morning (July 25, 2014) to Indiana from the Grand Oasis Cancun which was amazingly beautiful! The maintenance, housekeeping and dining service staff were wonderful and extremely helpful! The timeshare salesmen were annoying and pretty pushy, if you avoid them long enough they will eventually leave you alone. The bartenders do not add alcohol to the mixed drinks unless you request it, although they don't inform you of this and we tipped very well for each of our drinks. The lines at the restaurants moved quickly, we liked Joy's the best. The nightclubs pretty much cater to the Mexican traditions even though they advertise otherwise. Kinky' s had a Mexican dance show, Coyote Loco had a live band that only sang songs in Spanish, the live band on stage at the furthest building had a mariachi band, and Coco's closed early our last evening at the resort which left us a little disappointed. We changed rooms due to the first room not having a bathtub or working air. The second room was on a much nicer floor with an awesome lobby view of the ocean. The room had a bathtub, but no stopper and the shower came on regardless, so if you want to sit and take a shower you will be fine. It would be nice if there were snack bars and maybe more continental breakfast items available. Overall the resort is fabulous, but the rooms are in desperate need of updating. Who goes to sit in the room anyways? A few things I wish i would have known: 1. Take plenty of ones, the resort does not give change. 2. There isn't anything within walking distance. 3. If you visit Market 28, you have to walk to the bus stop in front of Walmart to return to the resort. 4. Do not ride the bus anytime between 4:00 - 5:00 p.m., trust me!!!! 5. The GRAND in the Grand Oasis stands for amenities not a building.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have better views & seem to be more updated.
3 Thank Cehirst99
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you thought the pools and activities were great. We offer our apologies for the inconvenience you had with the air conditioning, rest assured we have passed the issue on to our maintenance department to investigate and fix. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us, we wanted to let you know that our staff is prohibited from demanding tips from guests, thank you for pointing out the incident so we can take action and avoid it in the future.
We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

miami
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Me and my family booked this vacation a year in advance. All excited to go only to find out how bad this resort was. Not sure if it was the time of year being summer. BUT;
The room was extremely hot, the fridge was hot, the bathroom had either extremely hot water or freezing water, no towels (had to call and order over and over).
The food and drinks were horrible, no hospitality at all. Restaurants were hot.
The area of the pool by the bar's smelled horrid (like barf) frozen drinks we watered down, cups were rinsed and washed in some type of disgusting bucket, bring your own cup.
It was just horrible, we ended up having to make the best of it as I said we had waited over a year for this vacation.
Definitely never going to Mexico again. No service at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank michi1467
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service. It is important to highlight that every time you have a setback at the hotel you can contact our customer service staff to notify them so they can correct the situation. We hope you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and if there is anything you need please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Disappointing

Let me start by saying this review is incredibly long but it covers every aspect of our trip from a to z..thank you for reading it.

We were so excited to be returning to Mexico, a place that we absolutely love. From the culture of the people to the amazing hospitality and the beautiful scenery we couldn't wait. We had looked at many a resort in Mexico and chose to stay at the Grand Oasis. We chose here because it's a little away from downtown and right by Aquaworld as we like to do many activities while in Mexico. We previously had stayed at the Fiesta Americana and loved it and this resort was right beside it and wanted to try something new.
   We arrived at the hotel to an amazingly beautiful atrium.Very very impressive. We then proceeded to check in where we immediately asked about the room size, as many reviews had complained about the size of the rooms. The gentleman at the front desk was very kind and let us choose a different room and we paid an upgrade to get a bigger suite. We got all checked in and headed to the room. After unpacking it was about 5 pm so we decided to head to find something to eat. This is where the downfall began. I remember reading one review and the gentleman said it was great for about 10 minutes, while we lasted a little longer than that but not much. We went to the buffet as we just wanted to grab something quick and explore the resort. When multiple people complain about the food quality it sets a pattern, one we should have listened to. Needless to say we didn't eat there as the quality was poor. No problem we said we weren't going to let that ruin our stay as they have 14 other restraunts  to try out so we headed to the Rodizio the Brazilian steakhouse. The meat was charred and burnt and came out about 1 different selection of meat every 10 minutes. Getting frustrated with the Rodizio we decided just to go back to our room and order room service. There is a convenience charge and room service is not all inclusive. By this time I was irate as we had set out at 5 pm to try to find something to eat and it was now 8pm..I immediately went out down to the front desk and explained my situation to the gentleman at the front desk who gave me the answer of room service is always a charge. Not willing to accept that answer, I asked for his boss, explained the situation and got told the same thing, there is always a charge for room service. Not liking that answer I kept going up the chain until the head guy agreed to comp our room service. Him and I also had an understanding that we would be able to get room service anytime we wanted and not be charged for it as nowhere does it say on Expedia, Book It, Booking, Hotels.com and Trip Advisor that room service is extra. So him and I had an understanding about false advertising. Long story short folks, room service will cost unless you are like myself and will not stop until you get what you paid for.
   The next day we arose and my son says lets put yesterday behind us and have a great day today. What an amazing attitude. While the only thing open for breakfast was the buffet, so we headed down there. The buffet is a breakfast buffet like all others so don't get your hopes up to much. We kind of expected that as we had read other reviews stating the same. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the service. Now let me state before we go any further we took $300 in ones with us as we do tip for great service as we used to work in the service industry as well so we know how it goes. Multiple times we had to get our own coffee and water and at first when the servers saw us doing that they were upset. Fine, then please do your jobs. My wife kindly explained we had asked multiple people and waited forever. Like I said we have been in the service industry before and my wife hit it on the head. They are not staffed for the amount of people they service. The were never more than 4 servers in the buffet areas expected to serve you, clear your tables, bring you drinks and set the tables all over again. We came to find out after talking to multiple servers they are just as frustrated as the people they wait on. The servers really are great people they just are not put in a situation to be successful. After eating we decided to go explore the grounds. One word BEAUTIFUL..the grounds are impeccably manicured and taken care of. This place has the largest beach area of any resort we have stayed at they do an amazing job with the upkeep. I had mentioned the atrium and how impressive t was while the outside grounds are just as impressive. Time to eat again. I will not bore you all with the specifics but lets just say similar issues as before there just isn't enough staff to take care of all the people they serve.  I will tell you after a couple of days of bad service we found Roberto. What an amazing individual. Whenever you are at the buffet for lunch or dinner ask for Roberto. He is truly amazing and does his job very well. We would always ask him when he was working and make sure we asked for him.
   I'll talk now about the Internet. We knew from reading reviews prior to that there would be a charge so it was no surprise. What was a surprise was how horribly it worked. It was an on and off problem. Sometime it worked and most of the time it didn't. When we complained about it we were told to call a number as they have no control over it. So just be prepared the internet is not what you can expect when paying for it and you will not get help resolving your problems.
   After a few days there we decided to try the restraunts that you had to have reservations for. We knew from reading reviews that we had to make reservations 24 hours prior. Here is what no review we read told us. You need to make them 48 hours prior as that's how fast they book up. When you go to make the reservations they will tell you they do not make them out that far in advance but with a little prodding they will. Also our son goes everywhere with us and we were told at the "fine" resteraunts kids are not allowed. While again I wasn't going to accept that so after talking to 4 levels of managers they decided it was okay for my son to go to the resteraunts. Could of saved themselves a lot of headache and me a lot of yelling had they just said that in the first place. This is something on a regular basis that was complained about by multiple people. While I was in the concierge office for a different reason one day the was a gentleman and his wife that got so upset about this and we're asked to leave the concierge office. I mean you go on vacation to a place that advertises 24 hour reservations and get told no they are full and then get told you cannot take your kids, it doesn't set well with a lot of people. I later on saw this guy and his wife on the property and asked him how it turned out. While they got into the resteraunt that night and we able to take their kids. Why don't they just allow it up front. The management here really does not give the people the tools to do their job.
   As I previously stated we do a lot of activities while we are in Mexico that's why we wanted to stay at the Grand Oasis which is right across the street from Aquaworld. It is very convenient and lots of water sports to do. Aquaworld is a great place and is run very very well.
   The VIP lounge. Let's just say the service here is great. What is not great is on multiple occasions that had run out of bottled water and wine. We would go here because Internet works the best here and we would have drinks prior to going out to eat elsewhere. While many a times we would ask for water and be told we would have to wait as they had to go get more and more often than not they were out of red wine. Here is just yet another example of management not giving the people the tools to do their job. It is really disappointing because the people want to do a good job and they can't because they do not have the stuff. Again they will tell you the same thing if asked.
   On one day my son had gotten ill. I believe it was from staying out in the sun to long. While we went down to the buffet as he was craving fruit. My wife and I went in grabbed a plate and told the waiter the issue and he said let me ask the manager because no food is allowed to leave the buffet. The manager actually picked up the sign and read it to the server. While the server told us no. Again not accepting that as an answer my wife this time had a conversation with the manager. Long story short we were allowed to take food back to the room for our son. Again just another example of management not allowing the people to shine. I can completely understand not allowing food to free flow out of the buffet but when someone ask as their son is sick and you tell the waiter no but then allow it to happen you completely undermine the credibility of the server.
   One thing that was a very nice surprise is the nightly shows they put on here. They are truly spectacular and after staying here 2 weeks we were able to see them all. This is a treat that you can look forward to every night.
   I would sum this review up with saying the management at this place is terrible, from the staffing of the place, not giving the people the tools to be successful at their job and undermining  the staff by having them say no when they are allowed to say yes. For these reasons stated I have given this place a 2.
When management Responds as they will I encourage you to read their responses as they are typically generic responses and they truly do not care about solving root cause issues that's why there are so many reviews that say the same thing and does not improve..
Shane

Room Tip: Visit the room before you commit
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Shastings1
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience and offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
Despite being an all-inclusive resort, some amenities and services have an additional charge as stipulated on our website.
It is important for us to let you know that we are very committed to satisfying the needs of all our guests, this is why our customer service supported you during your stay.

Detroit
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

As soon as we arrived the bell men rushed over to check our bags in. The one lied to us that he would get us an early check in, if we took care of him. This was the beginning of us being hounded for tips, the bellmen hitting on us & several false promises. Nothing but draft Mexican beer or 2 canned Mexican beers in your refridgerator. Well liquor drinks, unless you tipped well. The first room we received was facing the garden with "no" ocean view, so we upgraded for about $400 more. The whirl pool had orange water come out & the bathroom smelled like urine. The shower glass door leaked all over the bathroom hallway floor & after walking from the bathroom, I slipped, fell backwards and hit the back of my head. They mop the floors daily & use a squeegee to scrape up excess water. This leaked through our front door & closets, making our floors slippery as well. Also, the sushi was horrible & their other food was average. Both families & Spring Break crowd were there. Not worth the headache or money..

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Detroit-14
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed comments about your experience. We are truly sorry that it was not an optimal vacation and that it caused some inconveniences with your room, we will be paying special attention to the maintenance of our facilities to avoid any issues in the future.
We wanted to let you know that our staff is prohibited from demanding tips from guests, thank you for pointing out the incident so we can take action and avoid it in the future.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Arden, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked this trip through Groupon and got an AMAZINGLY cheap deal, so our expectations were relatively low...we were not expecting a 5-star resort, so we were not hugely disappointed. There are great things about this resort and some not-so-great things, but nothing was terrible. We are a young couple (26 and 30) from North Carolina, we have done some travelling but have not stayed in an all-inclusive before, so this was our first experience at this type of resort.

Best things:
STAFF HELPFULNESS: We arrived at 11am, and were able to get a great room immediately instead of having to wait until 3 for the official check-in time. Throughout the trip every single staff member we saw smiled and greeted us, and everyone was willing to help with anything we needed. People were especially grateful that we made an effort to speak in Spanish, even if it wasn't very accurate.

ENTERTAINMENT: the nightly shows were GREAT! There were aerial acrobatics, fire dancers, drums, singing, awesome costumes, and great visuals. These shows were all free, and they happened in the lobby at 8pm every night. There were also great cabaret shows at the "Kinky Nightclub" that we really enjoyed. We never felt like there was a lack of things to do at night, which was great because otherwise we would have gone out downtown and spent a bunch of money.

ROOM: Our room was great. It was in the main pyramid on the 4th floor. It was clean and comfortable, with great AC. The mini-bar was stocked every day with 4 waters, 4 sodas, and 4 beers (leave a $1 tip in the fridge for the person who restocks the bar, and they will give you special requests--I asked for diet coke). We got fresh sheets and towels every day (I always left $3 tip on the pillow for the maids---they get paid next to NOTHING and they rely on tips to make their living...I'm guessing that the other reviewers who didn't get fresh towels probably weren't leaving tips). The only slight drawback was that the pillows were very hard and uncomfortable. But overall the bed was comfy and we had no complaints about the room.

POOL AND BEACH: were amazing! Beautiful and well-kept. The pool towels they give you are surprisingly nice--they are very large (bigger than the nice towel i brought from home) and very thick and absorbent. The only issue with the pool is that you have to get there VERY early in the morning in order to claim your pool chairs or get a private cabana (like 8am).

Now for the not-so-great things...but keep in mind, everything was still awesome considering the price we paid (cheaper than any vacation we could have taken in the US)

LACK OF AC: Our room was nice and cool, but that was about the only time we weren't sweating. The main lobby is a big garden atrium with plants and such, so there is no ac. Most of the restaurants do not have AC either...only the restaurants that came with the "Grand Upgrade" had AC. Our trip automatically came with the grand upgrade (thankfully) but I think it's about $100 to get the upgrade (WORTH IT---see below on "Food").

FOOD: all of the food was "Just Fine"...nothing was absolutely disgusting, but nothing was good either. We are used to eating at nice local restaurants with quality ingredients and this is just...not that type of place. The least impressive aspect of every meal was the meat and cheese--The fried chicken at the Happy Chicken was weird and slimy, the pizza at Dos Lunas had some really weird cheese and something that was called pepperoni but was definitely NOT pepperoni, and all of the cold cuts on the buffets were unidentifiable--very strange textures and flavors. Not good. We went to the Rodizzio Brazilian steakhouse and only one of the meats was yummy (the flank steak) while all the others were VERY tough and hard to chew. But the buffet/salad bar was nice enough and we didn't leave hungry. We were never hungry after eating at the restaurants, but we were never fully satisfied with the experience either. The food at the "upgrade" restaurants was DEFINITELY better than the non-upgraded ones...if we had had to eat at the non-upgrade ones all week I would have been really, really unhappy. (Side note: we had some FANTASTIC food when we went downtown Cancun at an Italian restaurant called La Dolce Vita--I really recommend going there for a break from the all-inclusive bland food). There are 2 restaurants with delicious food on the resort, Careyes and White Box, but they require reservations and are very difficult to get in to--you have to go to the concierge desk first thing in the morning (around 8am) to get a reservation for the following night. We ate at Careyes twice and really enjoyed it. (NOTE: even though you are not paying for the meals, it is still appreciated if you tip your servers--again, they get paid basically nothing to work their butts off all day for tourists who don't tip. Even a small amount, a few dollars, makes a difference. Remember that these people are trying to feed their families!)

DRINKS: the alcoholic drinks are reaaaaaaaaaallly watered-down, as we expected with an all-inclusive (they would lose a lot of money if they were really serving that much alcohol). The liquors were watery, the only beer available was "Dos Equis" but it tasted more like watery bud light to me. Even the red wine was weak, I don't even know how that is possible, but I seriously did not get a buzz the whole time I was there, except for one night when we were intentionally TRYING to get buzzed by ordering straight liquor one-after-another. Watch out for this--they serve a lot of blended slushy drinks like pina colada or daiquiri but they DO NOT add alcohol to it unless you specifically ask for them to put it in!! We consumed our weight in sugar before realizing that there wasn't even any rum in the drink. Note, you can get nicer beverages by paying for it, but we were trying to save money so we just dealt with the bad drinks.

LOCATION: The location was not bad, but it was on the southern side of the main strip so in order to get anywhere you had to ride the city bus for a long while...the up side is that the city bus is cheap ($1 per person per ride), but avoid rush hour (around 6:00)--it gets really crowded and you might not get a seat, and the ride takes longer...it took us 45 minutes to get to Wal-Mart. It would have been nice to have a hotel closer to the main strip so we could walk to the bars and restaurants.

SALES: they try really, really hard to sell you vacation packages via the travel company Unique Vacations. We ended up sitting through a 90-minute presentation so that we could get a prize (we got to rent a smart-car for free for 24 hours to drive to one of our excursions). It was worth it to get the car, but it was painful to sit through and then have to say "no".

Overall, we enjoyed our vacation and we were not very disappointed with the resort. We have learned our lesson about all-inclusives though--you can't expect great food and drinks for next to no cost. Next time we will plan on eating in town more often and we will bring our own alcohol.

Note on excursions: We did Xel-Ha and a Jungle Tour with snorkeling--we didn't like Xel- Ha that much, but really enjoyed the Jungle Tour, which cost $110 total for both of us. We also saw the ruins at El Rey for $7 which was really neat and peaceful--like a mini Tulum without the tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Main Pyramid (as long as you don't mind hearing a little noise from the lo...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the time you have taken to give your opinion on your stay with us. We are very happy to have met your expectations and that you were able to have an excellent trip to Cancun. We work hard to create positive experiences for our guests and for you to remember our hotel with a huge smile.
We are sorry for the inconvenience you had regarding the air conditioning, this issue has been passed on to our maintenance team to fix so that it does not occur again.
Also, we like to tell you that our hotel is audited and certified by a company that measures and ensures the high quality and hygiene of our ingredients. This way we make sure that every dish that leaves our kitchen meets our guests’ high standards.
Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Wow. I travel a ton amd have never been to a worse resort. First check I was horrendous. We had to keep coming back until 4 to get our room. The maids stole my sunglasses. Eating at the Italian restaurant and a rat fell and broke it's neck inside. Instead of rushing to clean it up people stood around laughing and taking pictures. 5 min later they finally got to it. At happy chicken the fried chicken was literally bloody when i started eating it. If you aren't Mexican then good luck getting a beer from Raul at the pool. Timeshare people harass you everytime you walk through the pyramid. We were there for ten days for our honeymoon and were literally thinking of jumping on a plane and heading somewhere else to finish it out after day 3. When telling the manager all of these things just said "sorry". Pay more and go somewhere else. Horrible experience.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank bshane54
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your stay at our resort. We offer our sincere apologies that your time spent with us did not meet all your expectations. We would like to inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service. It is important to let you know that Cancún it's a tropical destinations and that's why that accident happened with that animal, which wasn't a rat, but a local roedor that's very common in the zone.
We also want to inform you that our hotel is audited and certified by a company that measures and ensures the high quality and hygiene of our ingredients. This way we make sure that every dish that leaves our kitchen meets our guests’ high standards.

Kind Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Oasis Palm
#77 of 182 in Cancun
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,734 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!