“over priced for what you get”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #91 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We just spent one week here in November. We paid $1400 ea. with a $80 upgrade to get access to more restaurants and VIP access. This was worth it. The Good Things were - grounds and pool areas were beautiful and well maintained. Very clean. Bars were great especially the indoor ones. VIP bar and lounge very nice . Food was good. especially the lunches. Staff was excellent in entire complex. Gonzolo in VIP bar was the best ever. Main building was very nice. The Bad things were. We were put in the lagoon wing. It was horrible. It was small, all white, no decorating such as pictures, broken furniture. My wife almost cried. After complaining, they put us in the main pyramid. Very nice. We thought we would automatically get this with the upgrade. We were to have access to more restaurants but 3 were closed because of renovations. $6 a day for room safe was a rip off. $30 for wifi for the week was a rip off. Seafood restaurant was closed at night. Huge disappointment. They advertise a lot of restaurants, but they have 2 Mexico, 2 Italian, 2 Asian which is deceiving. Don't open the wine on your table. You pay $20 a bottle. The house wine is exactly the same wine and free. The food in the VIP lounge was always cold every day. My wife could not open the balcony door. Never repaired. Beware when you check in. You are sent to a information table. You are sucked in to a 90 min. time share presentation. Ok. But it took 3 hours. We were really upset with this. You are given a $45 in house coupon. You don't get much for that. You can also get a free car rental, but they fail to tell you that you have to pay $100 for the second day of your free car rental. We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in Mexico and paid a lot less for places just as nice as the Oasis. The evening entertainment was very good. But every night it was basically the same same but different. It got really boring

Room Tip: check out your room first. There was a large fan in front of our balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank den2is2
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us recognize our areas of opportunity so we can provide a better service in the future. We will contact the departments in charge to make sure the issues are rectified.

Regardless of the issues, we are extremely happy to know you were able to enjoy our various food, beverages selection, facilities and specially our personalized service; we are delighted you have received an excellent service from our staff, we will congratulate them for making your stay more gratifying.

Hope to see you again soon and do not hesitate on contacting us if we can assist you with anything on your next stay.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

The hotel is not what the hotel described. Over sized and too much walking to your room. Offered several restaurants, only 4 open. Food was not very good and got sick the second day. They would not even give me anything at the desk while the store was closed.

The store, the rudest lady I ever met in customer service. I forgot my lotion and tan cream. They charged me 70 U.S. dollars.

Tried to get change at the desk, they said they did not have it.

Room was gross! They were rehabbing the one next door. Loud banging and my room smelt like varnish. Had to leave door open day and night. Bath tub did not work, rusty and dirty. Bed was hard and I did not sleep well as it was so noisy all night. They use the lobby for shows and it is loud and practice.

The beach was nice and the bartenders.

I would never recommend this place to Americans. They do not speak English much.

Very lazy employees. Run down, crappy food & service. Very disappointed!

Room Tip: Change hotels
4  Thank lisa r
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Lisa,

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you had on you recent stay. We offer our sincere apologies.

Please note that all of your comments and opinions are very important to us and will be submitted to the right department to take the necessary actions to correct them and provide new options for you in the in the future.

Furthermore, we are happy to know that you enjoyed our bar service and the beautiful beach.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

The minute we got there I knew what a mistake this had been. I walked in a room right out of the twilight zone taking be back to at least the 70's and it stank of mold and some kind of pesticide (primitive). The first night it rained and we woke up with water all over the floor under my bed which was closest to the window was a river. So they gave us another room (which had no A/C and they had someone repairing it at 2:30 in the am. The maids come in your room even if you hang the "do not disturb sign" they make the bed which by the way has only one bottom sheet NO TOP SHEET and do not replace the towels. So what is the purpose of them coming in the room? They come in to scope it out, because the next day a phone was stolen from the room. Now the people that stock the room with water, soda or beer only did it once in a whole week. You either don't leave out the do not disturb sign and get robbed or you leave it and never get the refrigerator stocked. After every complaint to the very unpleasant night manager they just continued to give us crappy rooms in the same building. This is how they get you to pay extra for the better room (if there are any). Please save your money and go to a better hotel.

Room Tip: Please save your money and do not stay here.
1  Thank Becki S
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Becca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and opinions about your stay, we are making the pertinent investigations about it.

Also, we would like to let you know that we have the service of the safe deposit box at the hotel, in order to protect all your valuables so you can avoid any inconvenience.

Please let us tell you that our main goal is the comfort and well being of our guests, so we are fully dedicated in meeting your needs under strict standards of quality and service.

We offer our sincere apologies and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Where do I even begin? Let’s just say we returned home yesterday and I am devastated. We had one of the best vacations of my life here and I almost didn’t book because of all of the crotchety/now ridiculous sounding reviews.
Now, this review is based on occupancy in the Pyramid building, so I cannot speak for others room-wise. I also recommend everyone book “grand” unless you’re in your late teens/early twenties and the room/dining is not an important factor for you.
To begin, Cheap Caribbean did a great job with our shuttle so I recommend booking with them. They were right there waiting for us and were very prompt and friendly. After seeing a few resorts on our way to ours, I was very impressed with the outside overall appearance of the Grand Oasis - much more aesthetically appealing than a lot of the surrounding resorts. Grounds are VERY well kept. There are always workers trimming and cutting and smiling. Also, when they mow the lawns, all of the big iguanas come out, which was neat to see.
Check in: Arrived a little before three and our room wasn’t quite ready. The woman at the desk seemed relatively new, but was all smiles and ready to accommodate. Small language barrier but those around her were willing to help. We double checked before we left that we had an ocean view and she confirmed once we arrived. Our room took MAYBE twenty minutes to be ready, so guess what? She put on our black bracelets and we had a cocktail and some delicious lunch while we waited. I wouldn’t exactly call having to wait for your room a “nightmare”. I mean, unless your version of hell is free booze and food alongside a gorgeous view; because if that’s the case, you’re screwed.
Room: Inside the pyramid (#5137) with an INCREDIBLE view of the ocean and the grounds. We had a dresser so I’m assuming that’s a pyramid thing. We only booked ocean front, didn’t pay extra for pyramid so maybe we lucked out but if/when we go back I’d double-check we’d get that again. The shows in the lobby are fantastic and with a pyramid room you’re not waiting in chairs like everyone else for two hours. Instead, you open your door and check out the show on the way to dinner. We had a clean room, lost hot water for maybe an hour the one day. OH NO! HOW WILL WE GO ON? Couldn’t hear our neighbors & nights weren’t too noisy, but we had our door open. I can’t imagine hearing anything with them closed. Oh, if you actually leave a tip for your nice house keeper, she will leave you four beers and four waters. We left $3 a day.
Pools: The pools were so beautiful we only made it down to the gorgeous beach twice to nap on one of the cabana beds. There were two swim up bars open. One for oldies and kiddies and one for a more 20-30 crowd, although you will get a mix no matter what. There was Zumba shows and contests and we had a blast watching them all. The bartenders were so very friendly. We remembered Raul at the swim up bar. He taught us to say fun things in Spanish and wasn’t annoyed by our most-certainly annoying questions. TIP THE BARTENDERS/SERVERS/MAIDS. Seriously, what is wrong with people? And would it kill you to go to a foreign country and attempt to learn a few key phrases? I can’t tell you how many drunken people were screaming at the bartenders without a “gracias” or “por favor”. The nice bartenders would still serve with a smile but let’s just say I noticed who got the weaker drinks and who was drinking a bit more top shelf. They play lively music and there is definitely more of a party vibe. It’s not a frat party or anything but if you’re a fun person you’re guaranteed a good time.
Restaurants: LOVED VIP lounge. Ate breakfast there every day except one and it was delicious. VIP is also the best place to go for a cocktail before/after dinner. Lovely indoor/outdoor seating with a very helpful staff. Quiet there mostly, but relaxing. Careyes was elegant and they treat you like royalty. Loved everything except the charge for wine and the sirloin entre we ordered. We’re picky steak eaters. But, get dressed up, make a reservation the day before and enjoy yourselves. Every restaurant that was open was fabulous. Italian place was delicious, there’s a salad bar and pasta bar. Each restaurant features shows during dinner or lunch. I’ve been to a five star resort in the Dominican and I liked the food here better. They do the basics right, so unless you eat at a five star gourmet restaurant for every one of your meals, you’ll find something you like. Also, our room service wasn’t free nor was it very good, so we learned to order a pizza from the Italian restaurant and ask for it to go. Not even the sports bar would let us a grab a late night burger to take to our room afterhours so I’d recommend this if you’re like us and enjoy greasy food after drinking.
Bars: VIP was our go-to. We tried Kinkys three times. Two of the times (unsure on whether this was due to off-season or us being there too early) we were the only people there & there was no entertainment. Third time we made friends with another couple and headed there a little later. The one dancer was gorgeous and very talented. Coyote Loco was your typical “club scene”. Loud, busy and the kind of place you go when you’re on spring break. We went once and that was enough. If you’re a guy looking to pick up some ladies on vacation, be aware the ratio is very lop-sided. But most of the women who were there were very attractive. My boyfriend and I made quick friends with a few different couples/groups at the swim up bar. Never checked out the sports bar but we heard from another couple they don’t play sports on TV, just music videos.
Beach: Absolutely breath-taking. Made it to the gym (very VERY small but cardio was all I went for) and it looks out into the amazing beach. A lot of people were swimming even though it could be very wavy. No beach service but that’s what a Bubba Keg is for. Or the bar isn’t very far at all. Either way, it’s one of the prettiest views I have ever seen. White sand. Crystal clear water. My only regret was spending less time down there than at the pool. There were enough places to sit/ lay down. We laid on some of the cabana beds. A few were roped off and labeled as if they were private but no one bothered us in the least when we laid on one. I’ve been to my share of beaches and this one was truly breathtaking.
Overall: Every morning I woke up with a smile on my face. The ocean breeze came through our patio doors and the sun was always shining. Our bed was comfortable and the sound of the ocean was almost enough to keep us inside all day. But compelled to get in the sun, we woke up and had a lovely peaceful breakfast in the VIP lounge. We’d then go to the (limited) gym and head back to the room to grab a shower and a beach bag. First to the swim up bar where we had margaritas made with fresh lime juice and made many friends. Then, for a swim over to watch the shows / contests/ people dancing. We followed that up with a sit down lunch which was always enjoyable and the servers are more than happy to keep the drinks coming. Our conversations with bartenders/servers alike were very easy as most of them speak better English than some of the English speaking strangers we met on vacation. After we were full from lunch, we’d head back to the swim up bar or beach bar and continue our fun. Dancing and smiling people everywhere. Drinks were always flowing. Next, we’d take a nap in a hammock or on the beach and wake up to a comfortable temperature at sunset. We’d go back to our rooms and get ready for dinner, where we enjoyed an amazing meal every time. Or sometimes, we’d enjoy an amazing show. We always received a smile, especially when we were friendly to start. At night, the world was our oyster and the bars were happy to accommodate. If you’re not into loud, crazy, wild nights- just steer clear from the party side of the resort. We walked back to our room with a smile on our face every night. I have such a hard time understanding how the people who wrote all of the terribly negative reviews could honestly have THAT bad of a time at a place so beautiful. It’s not fine dining and spa treatments and white doves, but if that’s what you’re looking for go to Sandals.

Ps. the excursion through Apple Vacations/Cheap Caribbean to Isla Mujeres on the catamaran was INCREDIBLE. The shopping experience on the Island was a bit stressful but those people are just trying to make a living and sell you some stuff. I wish I would’ve known the Spanish word for “relax” but it was highly recommended. Sailing, snorkeling and a private beach lunch buffet.
I apologize about the length of this review but I was really hoping someone would write a detailed review of their vacation rather than a list of complaints or a vague “it was awesome”, before we left so I could feel more at ease. So I hope that helps

The only way I would have made this 5 stars is if everything was open. I understand it was semi off season though.

Room Tip: Seriously, ask for a Pyramid room. Or book an ocean front and if you're not in the pyramid upgra...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Abby H

Dear Abby,

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.

We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We look forward on welcoming you once again; please feel free to contact us prior to your arrival if we can assist you with anything to make your next stay a unique experience.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Hey there...this is a greaat resort
Food is good,i love the show at the pyramid so amazing,the room and the service is good
We want to give a special thanks to Andrés the front desk supervisor,he did a rally good job helping us all the time:-) we will back next year for sure gracias andres¡¡¡¡

Room Tip: Rooms in the pyramid are the best...
2  Thank tylor t
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Tylor,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our daily shows since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.

It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their terrific job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I just got back from a week at the Grand Oasis Cancun. To start with the staff caters to South American's and barely speaks English (they are too lazy to accommodate non-Spanish speaking guests). After sitting in the lobby for 3 hours my room was finally ready. Although the ocean-front room did face the ocean, it also faced the party zone around the pool which did not allow much sleep. The music went from 10:00AM to 1:00AM by the pool and in the center of the hotel (pyramid building) which is where my room was.

On the third I slipped in the hall on water on the marble floor and fell on my head. The back of my head was bleeding so I went to my room, called the front desk and told them what happened. They told me to come downstairs and see the doctor. After they made me wait an hour because the doctor was not available, Tatiana finally felt sorry for me and walked me to the doctor - she was awesome. The doctor wanted to charge me for the visit so I asked for the GM. I mentioned I was a travel agent and he gladly did not charge me for the doctor visit. I spent my entire day with my head wrapped, icing the wound, eating terrible room service, and having a miserable time. Not at any time of my visit did anyone from the hotel ask how I was doing...disappointing. They did finally upgrade my room after complaining for two days with no results, after I injured myself.

The resort claims to have 17 restaurants with maybe 5 open at any given time. The buffet is terrible, as you notice the food from the last meal, now covered in a different sauce to hide the fact that it's old. I did go to the Mexican restaurant one night and had a nice Beef Tenderloin but was irritated at the mariachi band wandering around the restaurant. Another night we went to Dos Lunas for Italian, and although a "chef" would make custom pasta at your request, I found the pasta to be either undercooked or overcooked (probably from the meal before). There was basically nothing truly Italian at this restaurant, especially the annoying dinner show including conga girls and singers - when the show was going on there was absolutely no service. We went to the sushi restaurant one night and had the worse sushi of my life - I didn't know you could ruin rice.

Bars - they claim to have three swim-up bars. I found two that you had to get into the very cold pool and cross to get to the swim-up bar. Needless to say I never sat at any of the swim-up bars. There was a VIP bar in the lobby which offered coffee and snacks which was nice if you had a black band. There was someone at the door to turn away anyone to qualified to enter - kind of annoying. The Fountainblue bar was located also in the lobby and was the largest bar, with an outside area for smoking and socializing. Although the staff was friendly, one night we were having a good time outside during a storm. The staff picked up our drinks without saying anything, poured them into plastic cups, and then locked us out in the rain. We had to climb over a small wall to get back into the lobby...pathetic and not customer friendly.

The Kinky Club was two girls partially dressed dancing on a stage for mostly men...don't bother. The disco or Coco Club was open until 1:00AM and consisted of mostly locals. The night I went I got to see a fight and then everyone got kicked out. There was only one place to get food after 1:00AM - the Sports Bar which had food sitting in warmers that had probably been there for at least 4 hours.

Best part of the resort - The Coco Beach Club. For $15 cash you can obtain lounge chairs with cushions in a roped-off area including bar service. This area was located outside of the seafood restaurant, which was only open during lunch. The food was good with great presentation, although you needed to order everything on the menu if you were hungry. Highly recommend the squid (calamari) rings and the curry soup.

Last note on food...although the hotel claims everything is included they do charge you $12 for room service which takes 40 minutes, the order was wrong every time, and the food was cold.

Shows - they had a nice show at 7:00 each night in the middle of the lobby...they were actually good if that's your sort of thing. The annoying part was the 4:30 show on weekends while I was trying to take a nap from the day on the beach. If there wasn't a show, there were annoying staff members yelling and doing stuff in the lobby so it made it impossible to take a nap.

All in all...I should have gone to the Melia. You get what you pay for but I didn't think I was paying for rude staff, terrible food, borderline room service, party that never allowed me to get a good nights rest, or hardly anyone speaking English. If you are South American, Russian, or under 30 you may enjoy yourself...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor in the Pyramid building, opposite of the front desk. Otherwise you will never b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted with our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort, safety and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Not a Great Place, But Location wise, great. There are other newer resort in the strip. The rooms look relatively old and cheap. Services were patchy, sometimes good sometimes very average, lots of restaurant by the reservation to those places was a pain, you got to stand in a line in the morning for about an hour and half to book dinner reservation. They did have good show in the lobby area. Nice night life inside the resort.

No beach activities. too much crowd.

The rooms and food can be good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AvidCamper2013
Atención C, RP at Grand Oasis Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about your experience. We regret not having met your expectations and please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay.

We want to let you know that the reservations for the Restaurants are a policy of our hotel to ensure the full satisfaction and comfort of our guests, but all our guests comments are fully considered in order to improve our range of services and facilities.

Hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.