“Blast with a couple of buddies!!!”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #86 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto, Canada
“Blast with a couple of buddies!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After reading the reviews, we were really worried about coming here. However, if you're not too picky and are coming for non stop partying, this is the perfect resort. To start off, check in was painless. Our rooms were equivalent to a motel 8/holiday inn. Washrooms were not so clean.
Buffets were ok, but the al a carte were great. The rule is you have to book every morning, but we tipped the person booking and she booked us for the week. The vip bar is just amazing. Great bartenders, especially Aniru aka rudeboy who was super nice and helped us whenever needed. Overall great trip with the boys and for sure will go back.

Room Tip: Tip in order to get great service!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank torontofinest1987
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations, we offer our sincere apologies. Please note that all of your comments and opinions are taken into account and will be channeled to the corresponding department to take the necessary actions to correct these inconsistencies in service and provide better care in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to improve your perception of it.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Grand was beautiful. Nice grounds, friendly staff, but so big that it was a challenge to get around. Gave us keys to a room that was already booked so had to put us in a King bed room and bring in a roll away bed. No big deal. One of the kids slept with us in the huge king bed. Based on other reviews, we were so worried about our "stuff" every day that it was an experience just to leave the room!!! Left $2 on the table the first day and it wasn't even touched. Had to chase down our room attendant to give him the money. Every day after that though, he took the money we left for him. Room always clean, plenty of towels, and drinks in the fridge every day. Water pressure sucked, and water went all over floor due to design of shower, but it's typical of hotel showers so it was no big deal. Pool was nice, always clean. Food? Ugh, buffet foods really were as expected and we definitely were sick of the same weird options every day-but you HAVE to expect that when they have to feed INTERNATIONAL customers, not just Mexicans or Americans. Always clean-hotel, lobby, beach, pool. Staff always polite-some more than others. Nightly shows were cool in the big lobby. Water/beach was nice. Slight undertow and waves were sometimes big, but no rocks, gorgeous clear water. Found waves calmed down in the afternoon. Taking bus was easy, but the first few times were scary. Didn't know where to go/how far to go into town. Nothing really within walking distance from resort except for small convenience store type thing.

Room Tip: Stayed in Grand-Ocean View. 5th floor. Lots of stair climbing every day, but it was great exercise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jamiemo1970
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to greet you at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations and that you had a great vacation, it is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.
Hope to see you again soon.

Estill Springs
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My family and I have been to Cancun 3 previous times and havat we stayed at the same resort up until this time and we will go back to the previous resort. Grand Oasis was not worth the moneyhad seen people . This resort is truly for 18 year old drunks. I had seen post about the pools but we got to see for ourselves the puke and filth that was there. We only had 1 server that was happy to be a server, we even had most that where down right rude. Food was not that good, you had to pretty much get totally dressed before you went into the buffets, Alot of times they would have a menu but then would say all we have is this..... Sports Burger Bar was nasty, slow, and beyond RUDE!!! They never had what was on the menu. We put the privacy sign on our door only to come back and have it placed inside the room and they entered anyway. Do yourself a favor and select anywhere but here. I can make the best out of most situations but this will not happen again. I think it is too big for the staff to handle. we had 2 rooms one had no AC and one had no fridge the other had a fridge but it did not work never restocked, staff didn't care. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! Oh and we could not get the door opened that connected our rooms front desk told me they were sending a PLUMBER shortly LOL

Room Tip: Another Resort!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Beccaroo2012
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations, we offer our sincere apologies. Please note that all of your comments and opinions are taken into account and will be submitted to the corresponding department to take the necessary actions to correct these inconsistencies in service and provide better care in the future.

Best regards.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel and grounds and pools were beautiful. A very large resort with lots of walking.The restaurants and buffets were very good. It is important to review list of dinner options because reservations must be made one day in advance.Lots of choices for level of activity. We chose the swim up bar pool that was mostly adult and just the right amount of fun. Very close to our oceanfront building. Be sure to take your own insulated beach cup 24 oz to 32oz.Saves a lot of trips to the bar for 12 oz plastic cups.The beach was great chairs were plentiful.

Room Tip: We stayed in ocean front building on the ocean side. Higher floors are quieter. Be sure not to stay...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are flattered to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel.
We are very happy to have met your expectations and that you were able to have an excellent trip to Cancun. We work hard to create positive experiences in our guests for you to remember our hotel with a huge smile.

We hope to see you soon, best regards.
Menifee, California, Usa
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me give you the history of what transpired, beginning with my reservation, and consequently my stay at the Grand Oasis.

I made a reservation through Travelocity on Saturday, June 1st, 2013. I purchased a package that included the hotel and flight, all inclusive at the Oasis. On June 17th I called Travelocity and asked to be upgraded to the Grand Oasis, because the package had already been purchased, they informed me they had to call the hotel to do this. While I waited, they did that and were told that I could upgrade at the time of check in, and would have to pay $50 per person, per night, which would total $750. I agreed to this and they informed the hotel, I understand by a fax that was sent to the Grand Oasis by Travelocity. On June 25th, I called back to Travelocity to confirm this, and they said yes, it was in their notes that they had called the hotel and notified them of my desire to upgrade when I arrived.

Upon arriving at the hotel on June 30th, approximately at 3:00pm, I was told by their registration attendant that there was nothing there showing our upgrade, but they could check to see if they had a room available. I was told that in order to move rooms, somewhere in the Grand Oasis, I would have to pay an additional $1800 usd, or I could just upgrade my bracelet so that I would have access to all the restaurants on their premises. Expecting that the room at the Oasis would be acceptable, I went ahead and paid for the bracelet upgrade approximately $434 usd. When I arrived at my room, I could not believe that it was acceptable, at any hotel, to rent a room that was in the state that this room was in. The bathroom was filthy, the shower curtain had mold all over it, the beds were terrible, to say the least, I was disgusted with the entire state of that room.

I returned to the registration desk and let them know, this was not acceptable to me. The clerk looked for another room, which he found, and I went to see it before making the change, since I did not want to go into another room like the one we had just seen. The room was exactly the same size, and layout as the one I had been provided, however, it was in another building, and at least clean. We went ahead and accepted the room, but were told I had to pay more money, $436.64 usd to be exact, and since I had no choice at that point, I went ahead and paid the money. We went into the room, unpacked and proceeded to try and make the best of the situation. However, during that night we noticed the air conditioner was not working properly, so on Monday, July 1st, we called and let them know and were told they would send someone to fix it. It took until 9:30pm for someone to show up to try and fix it, which did not work. The next morning, Tuesday, July 2nd, we again called to tell them the air conditioner was still not working, at this time we were told that they would change us to another room, #3 by this time. We packed again, and got moved to the next room, and had been there for about 1 hour, when my cousin went to take a shower, and the bathtub was backed up, the water went half way up the tub and would drain very slowly. At the same time, because it was raining outside, the water came in through the sliding glass door, and flooded half way into the room. Again, these are deplorable situations that should not happen in any hotel, let alone in a resort. We, again, had to call and explain what was going on in the room, and were again told that they would move us to a 4th room. Unhappily and very disappointed, we packed and moved again.

It is now Tuesday afternoon, July 2nd, and we are still moving rooms, have not really been able to enjoy our vacation. We settle in to the 4th room, and although the room continues to be the same size, and layout, we don’t have another choice. By Wednesday, July 3rd, we get up and go into the bathroom, and the water from the faucets, and bathtub, are coming out brown, and we cannot even use it to brush our teeth, we had to use bottled water in order to wash our face and brush our teeth, also, the air conditioner in this room is not working either. We did not call back again at this point, we had been moved so many times and nothing had improved, we resigned ourselves to just hang in there for one more day, since we were leaving on Friday, July 5th.

So, after spending the original amount, plus the additional $434 and $436, we did not have a very good, or clean, or even comfortable, experience. I don’t understand how they can advertise of clean, comfortable rooms, in room safes (which you have to rent a lock for, as we found out too), and all kinds of room amenities, when it is not the truth. I was very disappointed, and although I have traveled extensively in the US, and Europe, I have never been to a hotel that was in as bad a shape as this was.

Although I don’t expect anything from them, I had to advice them of my experience in their hotel, and let them know that I will be posting on line my review of this terrible experience in their hotel. Their employees on the other hand, were superb, not one did I come across that was not willing to be helpful and courteous, that was the only thing that made this entire trip bearable.

Here is a summary of the rooms, and what was wrong with each one:

2410 – Dirty, dirty, dirty!!!

4416 – Same size and layout, just different building, cleaner, but air conditioning did not work.

4115 – Same size and layout, clean, but flooded when it rained, and bathtub was backed up.

4138 – Same size and layout, clean, but air conditioning did not work, and water in bathroom from faucets/bathtub was brown (dirty).

I was there with my cousin and her husband, and you can be assured that we will never return to this hotel, and will ensure to let others know to not visit it either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank XiomaraA511
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We take our guests opinions very seriously so we can correct all the inconsistencies in the hotel. We are submitting your comments to the corresponding department so we can provide a pleasent stay in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments and opinions with us, this will help us improve and hopefully give us the opportunity to receive you once again and change your perception about our hotel.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our first trip South with the family. We were very excited for this trip. When booking via iTravel 2000 we were very specific that we were travelling with a 9 and 14 year old and wanted to be in the family section of the hotel. We upgraded to the Grand Oasis Ocean View (Playa 2). When arriving we checked in and we were brought to our room. As we were walking we crossed the bridge we all of a sudden we were in 'Party Central' it was like a spring break movie, loud music etc.

As we entered the building we noticed the sign that said "oasis" (Playa 1), when we got to our room we did not have a mini bar, the AC was not working and the balcony door was broken. I called down to front desk to tell them that I think we are in the wrong building, after some discussions they realized we were. So I said I would like to move immediately considering we paid extra $$ to be in the Grand Oasis. They said they have no rooms free in the Grand Oasis. They said they would have one tomorrow, so we said that was fine (can you at least sent a fridge -no fridge came and AC still not working). First night done

In the morning we found the"family" area that was right by the GRAND OASIS where we were supposed to be. That day I went to front desk and asked when we can move, same story no rooms, I said no this is not cool we paid to be in the higher end rooms with fridges etc. They said tomorrow they promise (again asked for fridge no fridge came). NOT happy but not wanting to ruin my day we went about our day.

That night there was a massive fight in our hotel floor, it was quiet scary. This started at 9pm and lasted about 45 mins,we called security but they did not come right away. After settling back down, the fire alarm went off from 4am to 7am every 15 mins.

Next morning I went to Front Desk AGAIN, and got the same story no rooms. At this point I was loosing my patience.

Long story Short 3 nights in the wrong room when we paid extra $$. FINALLY they moved us, and we were in a beautiful room with a fridge and a beautiful view and an AC that worked, and also where other families were with their kids. The rest of our stay was wonderful. Aside from the room mess, the property is wonderful, the wait staff is wonderful, the food was amazing, the property was clean and well kept. Staff very friendly.

The front desk I was not impressed with every time I went I felt that I was dismissed and saw other guests having issues.

Overall we enjoyed our vacation and would go back but would be very very clear as to what building we should be in.

Here is where my frustration has been. When I returned I wanted to let itravel know of our room issues, they forward my complaint to Sunwing on April 23. I was contacted by Sunwing saying I would hear back in 3-4 weeks. After the 5th week I emailed them and they said they are still working on the issue. Here we are 11 weeks since our trip and Sunwing has still not resolved this issue. This is where I am annoyed, I feel that Sunwing is hoping that I will drop this. I have sent an email today and told them If I do not get a resolution by end of day I will escalate. I also just recently booked another trip with a friend to Cuba and against my better judgement (I did not book it) this trip is also booked with Sunwing.

So my advise to you all is if you are going to Grand Oasis with kids make sure you are in Playa 2 NOT Playa 1 - you have to make sure that you are in the right building.

We would totally go back but will be very diligent as to our room location. As far as Sunwing this trip to CUBA will be the last time I ever use Sunwing, their customer service is completely unacceptable.

Room Tip: If travelling with Family make sure you are in Playa 2 building as Playa 1 is for the party people.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mom250
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We take our guests opinions very seriously so we can correct all the inconsistencies in the hotel. We are channalizing your comments to the corresponding department so we can provide a pleasant stay in the future.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you during your next visit.

Logan, West Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We paid to stay at the Grand OSASI with the oceanview and upgraded to the V.I.P. braclet, they but use in a oceanfront room in one of the older building that they reinvated and upgraded it to Grand status and it not the water smelled like Sewer Water my wife would not even take a shower the first night ,so the second day we went and complained and got put in the Pyramid that was the best move we made alot nicer and the actually charge for the restock on your mini bar and snack bar so beware of that,...The staff some were ok but for the most of it they could care less....Best place was the KINKY NIGHT CLUB and the best place to eat was the Bahia Rodizzo the supervisor and staff there was the best at both spots... the rest of the resort was average when it rains water comes in everywhere....The only place if you stay on the resort would be the Pyramid only...Every place on the resort shuts down early and on the other side of the resort the regular Osasi is were all the drunk young kids stay and the sevre water down drinks and the cheapest of cheapest liquor... If i would go back to Cancun i would not stay at the Grand Osasi Resort again,,, i would stay a beter resort... LIBERTY TRAVEL IN P.A. keep pushing these resort for some reason the problaly get a good kick back.... Hope this info Helps reviewers.....PLEASE go by the reviews, we wished we would have....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Best regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Grand Oasis Sens
Grand Oasis Sens
#83 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!