Grand Oasis Cancun
$495
$328
Agoda.com
11,237 results
All reviewscoyote locomaria bonitayounger crowdparty atmospherecoco bongoshowscareyescircusblastcarlos
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was our first return trip to the Grand Oasis Resort since last year. For this trip, we traveled later in the year, just at the end of college spring break.

As an overview, this is a beautiful property. It is quite large with well over a dozen restaurants and a dozen bars. The property is very well maintained and has a great beach front area. This is a family resort, so expect to see a number of children in the pool areas.

Check-in:

This was an area that was an issue with us last year. This year, the check-in was quick and easy, although others in our group were not quite so lucky. We happened to get the room we wanted and it was a breeze. They still need to understand their computer system for assigning rooms.

The Staff

We found the staff to be helpful. Some can be language challenged, but all-in-all, they were friendly and helpful.

The Room

The lodging rooms can be in several locations. There are rooms in the main Pyramid and also in one of four large rectangular buildings that corner the property. This year our room was in the pyramid. This is the place to be. The rooms are not large, but were clean with a comortable bed. You could hang meat in our room if you wanted to as the air conditioner worked very well. There is a separate bathroom and each room has a refrigerator, room safe and balcony. The pyramid is in the center of the property and thus it is more convienent to the restaurants/bars/pool and beach. Room service is available 24 hours a day, but there is a charge. Please keep that in mind.

The Grounds

The grounds were well maintained ,very well laid out with beautiful landscaping. The pools are long and winding with pool bars in several locations. The main eating complex in the center separates 2 of the pools. One side is the wild side, frequented by the spring breakers. Just a walk around the building and you are on the other, much quieter side. This separation is very nice.

Restaurants

The restaurants were nice. Some required reservations and it seems that at any resort we visit, the reservation system is not very efficient. Here you must try to make reservations by 8:00am the day before you plan to eat. Honestly, we found the buffets and all dining areas to be fine. The food was good as was the service most of the time. Late night they do have a sports bar that has burgers/dogs/fries/wings until 2 am.

Bars

The staff can be a bit challenged in their speed and quality of beverage service, but overall did a good job. We always tip which probably helped in us getting good service. The alcohol is bottom-shelf mostly, although you can get a couple of call brands down at the bar next to Cocoa's restaurant, just down from the pool on the quiet side. The draft beer was Dos Equis and was very cold. Alcohol service stops at midnight, so please keep that in mind. If you like, you can walk across the street and shop at the liquor store if you need booze for later.

Entertainment

Entertainment was good. They do shows nightly in the common area of the main pyramid. High wire acts and other very interesting presentations. At the Italian restaurant in the evening, a group came in and performed several dance and singing numbers and they did a very nice job. They have traveling bands of performers that wander the pool areas during the day doing cute, comedy routines. The wild side is.... well, wild. They have all kinds of drinking and pool games ongoing during the day. again, mostly younger groups were over there having a good time.

Check-out

Check out is at noon. Unlike a number of other resorts, they will not allow you to use any of facility after you check out. Other resorts will allow you to eat lunch or sit by the pool for awhile if you have a later flight out. Not here. Just plan accordingly and it is not a big deal.

One Irritation

This trip occurred during our 25th year of marriage. We wanted to renew our vows on the beach, but trying to arrange anything like that, even in advance was a real headache. As a result the renewal didn't happen...yet.

Recap

Remember, this is a 3.5 out of 5 star resort. It is nice and clean and we had a very nice time. Don't expect top shelf liquors, pillow menus, free room service or 5 star service. It is hard not to have fun here, unless your expectations are very high.

We would return and recommend this facility to friends.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a room in the Pyramid building. (The building in which you check in)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank dkurt
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Iam a male 30 traveled with Girlfiend 27 and another couple the same age.

I usually don't write reviews and when I do they are good. Keep in mind I'm not that picky at all and not hard to please. However, this place is awful and misleading. First we waited 3 hours for our "pyramid room" that I had to fight to get. I paid for a suite and all i got was a standard room. Food is almost not edilbe and disgusting, unless you pay extra for real food. Room service is $12 everytime and your limited to how much food you can order. The bars close super early and after 1 there is nothing to do unless you leave the resort. To eat dinner at any of the restaurants you must call by 7am and its for the NEXT DAY NOT THE SAME DAY or else you won't get a reservation. Here are the pros n cons

Pros
There's a pool
There's a beach
It's close to aqua world for water sports
15 min bus ride to clubs

Cons
$12 room service
Not all inclusive..decent food cost money
Very difficult to find food at times
My room door came right off. Literally broke off the wood
Guys need to wear sleeves to eat anywhere which is crazy. I understand dinner but midday buffet in 90 degree weather?!?!
When you put sleeves on and get to any of the buffets there is always a very long line and wait.

I can go on and on. Bottom line take your business somewhere else. This place will ruin your vacation and cause a lot of aggravation. Never will go back or recommend this pathetic excuse for a resort.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Joseph B

here's why
I have travelled throughout Mexico and the Caribbean and this hotel and its staff are very good and welcoming. My husband and I are in our 40's and were surprised by the tolerance of the staff for some of these whining 20 something's." This isn't good, that isn't good, this sucks, that sucks". It was really annoying, you heard them in line everywhere. All the younger generation were constantly complaining. You could hear them, they were obnoxious, loud and childish. This is a good hotel and I would recommend definitely. BYW fresh fruit, apples, nuts all available at the breakfast buffet and some of the better food I have had on vacation. Do try the Tapas restaurant, you pay extra for wine but it's charged to your room. I must if you enjoy meat.
In conclusion, the tourists spoil it for others at this hotel.

Room Tip: we faced the inside lobby and there were shows to enjoy some nights but otherwise relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank beachworshippers
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went to this resort during March Spring Break, March 9/17th. (first mistake) It was really party central. The two resorts are massive, its adjacent the Oasis Grand (don't be mistaken they are 2 different hotels) We didn't pay the hotel non refundable damage fee of $28.ea, which is standard for all guest checking in & that we wen't informed of,( but somehow I guess they forgot). We are also in our 60s, so maybe we didn't look like party people ( we did meet families with small children and they all were charge). The grounds are extremely clean and well layed-out. Lots of room & chairs beside the pool or at the beach never seemed an issue, sometime we had to look more but they were available. Massive pool, very clean, the beach is beautiful, clean and white sand there is a volleyball net in the water many guests were having lots of fun there. I didn't do any of the water sports. The food was pretty good, some of it better than others. But it was a buffet, so if you could go back for more, lots of choice, fresh fruit, veggies, fish & mexian dishes. We didn't loose any weight while we were there!. The 2 restaurants that are included one air conditioned, the other more casual, are both clean and easy to get seated. The other restaurants you have to pay for, we went to the Mexican as a treat, that was a mistake, it was expensive really spicy food & we had to go to the buffet to get something eles to eat after dinner. I was not impressed having to pay.... for the al-acarte, it was suppose to be all inclusive, the up charge is $28.per day ridiculous. (To get what you thought you were getting from Sunflight) The room, it took 3 tries, but we ended up with a nice clean room, we arrived at 3am the front desk sent us up to the first room, it was Ok but we paid for Oceanview room and we were looking straight into the other hotel, with minimal view, we went back to front desk, they sent us to another room, that hadn't been cleaned yet. Then finally we got a room with a view, very clean. The front desk, is disorganized, & it all depended on who you talked to what answer you got, (I thought it might be a language problem)but if you are willing to give them the time I found they tried to straighten out the problem. We gave our cleaning lady a tip on the first day and gifts (candies, perfume, nail polish and remover ect.) each day. We never had a thing missing from our room,( I heard that's a problem from many other guests) lots of towels, small bottle of water ea every day (we gave gifts to the water person also) It says that window open, (NOT) but the A/C worked well, they don't also have fridges or bathtubs in room, (as was advised by Sunwing) no rooms have these in all the hotel I was told. The safe cost was $5. per dayUS. I heard many complaint from people that their floor was very noisy, with fist fights and vomiting, we lucked out only disturbed a few times from our neighbours, the sound proofing is not very good. Security seemed very busy with all the Spring Breakers. The 2 hotels (Oasis Palm Beach & Grand) are beside each other, we never had any problem, but many people did with not being allowed at the other hotel. Also if you were traveling with little kids, the kids from the other hotel could get popcorn at the beach and the other hotel kids couldn't , kind of mean try explaining that to a child, so some children were crying and upset, parents couldn't even buy it for them.( For the cost of popcorn? hotel should fix this) They're are lots of up charges... if you want them. We went to the spa for massages, $90. for 50 minutes, nothing to write about just OK. My friend went on one of the excursions to something like a zoo, wasn't suppose to come back till after dinner, but returned to the hotel around 5 by taxi, wasn't all that exciting. I think if she was a swimmer she would have enjoyed it more, but she doesn't know how to swim. The entertainment was very good the nights they had it but it was only on for 3 nights of our week (we were advised of nightly entertainment). They missed us on the pickup back to the airport. So that was a scramble... I speak some spanish, and when I tried I found the staff very helpful and friendly. The complaints that I would have are with Sunwing and their reps!! What they sold me was not what was at the hotel to be recieved, many of the people on my trip were upset with the hotel.. They didn't have what was sold to them, the hotel says they have told Sunwing many time.... I believed them, when we went to the tour reps.. they already knew of the problems and weren't able to change anything. We were also told not to go into Cancun proper it wasn't safe, I don't know if this is true or not, having been there 5 times prior, I have always gone into town. Sunwing rep advised just to stay in hotel zone, so we did this time. I really enjoy Cancun the beaches are amazing, but like anywhere you need to be street smart. Your in a different county be alert, use your good manners, and people are good to you. I was embarrassed with some of the other guests behaviour, just cuz the drinks are free doesn't mean you need to drink till your sick or fighting. Awh but it was spring break!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sparkyont
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The place is huge..the pool is huge..the service is very nice...breakfast buffet has the best view in cancun..and the food was very good..as an all inclusive goes...top rate...plenty to eat and drink..my room was clean and comfortable...phone didnt work and its a long..long walk to the desk...the beach was great one year and non existant the next...hurricanes...if you are looking for the all inclusive experience ..this is a great start for the money

• Stayed: July 2012