“Terrible Customer Service!!!”

Ranked #88 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Chesterton, Indiana
“Terrible Customer Service!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked several months in advance to stay at the Grand Oasis Pyramid hotel. We had stayed at this hotel two previous times and were very pleased with the service/amenities. However, when we arrived to check in, we waited in line for over two hours. It was very obvious by the many, many dissatisfied (and this is a nice word) customers that there was a problem. The hotel overbooked and did not have any rooms available. They were not able to explain how they "overbooked" at least 50-100 people (although I believe it was more as we started talking to so many people who had the same experience). They knew this, and did not have the courtesy to call us in advance (prior to arrival so we could make informed decision on where we wanted to stay), instead telling us we had no choice but to go to another location. We did not know where we were staying; although, we knew we paid for something we DID NOT GET. What a SCAM!!! How convenient, overbook, ship people to your other resort locations, and screw them out of their money. We were repeat customers and will NEVER stay at a Grand Oasis or any affiliated resorts again...stay at a RIU instead!!! We have stayed there as well and never had any issues. Very unfortunate but lesson learned. Beware!! They mislead people and don't care once they have your money. We have filed a formal complaint with our travel company; not sure if there will be any resolution. Just don't want anyone else to have the same experience. People work too hard for their money and vacation/special occasions should not be ruined because of greedy resorts like this!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ShannonZ965

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,034)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Calgary
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was at the Grand Oasis Cancun and stayed in the building beside the pyramid so we were semi close to the pyramid and within walking distance of quite a few restaurants/ bars and pools. Me and my two other friends stayed in the beginning of March 2012 for one week and traveled with Sunwing.

~ ENTERTAINMENT ~

* The show in the Pyramid was really pretty to watch and they have little upraised seats for people to sit while they see it.

* Saw DJ Pauly D at the resort on the 6th I think, he was great and DJ'd for quite awhile so that's impressive they got him there.

~ POOLS AND CLEANLINESS ~

* Thankfully they take great care of the hotel on the outside and despite drunk people making a huge mess every day they seemed to be even quicker cleaning it up. I also saw a fellow check the chlorine level of the pool one day which is very comforting, although kinda gross watching people peel their burns and put it in the pool or worse never leave the swim up bar to use the bathroom....

~ FOOD AND BARS ~

* No food poisoning once on my trip which is always awesome!

* VIP lounge was awesome when you wanted a short wait and continental style breakfast/lunch or just a coffee and drink, great little atmosphere with cold air conditioning.

* We all liked the meat restaurant where they come around with skewers although the 'buffet' part of that restaurant was a little empty of good food, also my friend said she noticed a waiter cleaning his nose with a fabric napkin then wipe the buffet.....we stopped eating there after that.

* International buffet was probably where we ate the most as they were super close and had a great selection of foods, fruits, coffee or drinks and the waiters were awesome in this place. *Special thanks to Diego for helping us find a plate to bring food to our friend who hurt his foot and couldn't leave his room for a day*

* The little bar beside the international was good fun too, Martin works there and cracked us up and made the best Scooby Doo drinks.

* Dos Lunas we had for lunch since we didn't want to make reservations for dinner at any point in our trip and it was pretty good as well although I thought the buffet might have been same in terms of food really just the presentation was better.

* The beach was awesome! We found bar finally on it after four days and stopped walking all the way up when we wanted more drinks, but that beach bar closes at 5pm I think. The water was reallyyyy hard to swim in with the big waves so I didn't go in much but the life guards seemed alert so that's comforting.

* Not so good was the mexican restaurant food, it wasn't very authentic and was quite dry also the fish came with its head still attached which freaked out my friend a little lol but also was full of bones so was hard to eat.

* Busy side bars by the beach DJ stand were super hard to get a drink at, would be sometimes a half hour of standing even when waving tip money so we would walk a bit to get drinks somewhere else usually. We also noticed by day three or so that they stopped giving more then one drink to a person which sucks when their tiny and you have to get back in line shortly, but tip and you can get more....although that slightly defeats the purpose of all inclusive. Also you had to pay for better alcohol brands like greygoose which is silly again.

* Most common comment we made was they needed more walk up bars, we didn't always want to get in the pool for a drink or cross the resort to find a less busy walk up bar.

* We liked the pineapple Vodka or Malibu Vodka and Scooby Doo shots the most the rest of the drinks like Miami Vice or Supermans were so syrupy sweet that it makes you feel kinda nauseous after awhile and the beer was a bit thin but ok.

~ ROOMS AND HOUSEKEEPING ~

* Ours was all white and it was in the Grand oasis resort but not the pyramid itself, the room had a few hangers in one closet, one long shelf.

* Smelled heavily like mold in our room and I saw a guy on the 1st floor painting over mold when I walked by so the hotel is putting a band-aid on the problem. We were on the 5th floor and the AC worked fine.

* The bathroom door does not open all the way into the bathroom so it was awkward for two girls to get ready without hitting the door a lot getting in and out. Bathroom was nice though, marble was pretty and water temps good plus the toilet always flushed unlike some reviewers have said.

* House keeping was awesome in terms of showing up everyday and cleaning the room well, we tipped generously though.

* Down side - My friends phone went missing during the trip and we found out some other guys had, had all their phones and ipods stolen their first day so it may have been theft as my friend didn't lock her suitcase.

* Down side - took until the 2nd day to get a mini fridge in our room and seven times of asking different people. One of the people we talked to tried to say it was not only not included but also $40 extra for some water package which I not so politely told him we would never pay that. When we did get it though from Sebastion, he filled it every day and was really nice, we tipped him too and if we wanted extra water or beer he would give it to us. :)

* Down side - We didn't get a little door sign so we got woken up by house keeping and mini fridge fellow several times a morning while we were trying to sleep, I think they realized by day three that we weren't early risers because they stopped ringing the door bell and knocking so much after that.

* Paper thin walls for sure we would get woken up by our neighbors music or talking every day and could hear doors slamming all week.

~ FRONT DESK AND CHECK IN ~

* So rough. We arrived late so there shouldn't be a long wait and not that many people in front of us but about an hour before we got to the front and then all the scamming started (Likely why it takes so long to get to the front)

- We get there and they said no Pyramid rooms available and not for us since our paper didn't say so, but our travel agent had been there before and booked it many times so I still need to contact her but I am pretty sure they hoisted us to another building in the Grand Oasis Cancun that was less expensive.

- Charged us an 'insurance' fee for the bracelet so we had to pay an extra $28 (american) for insuring it or by their shady conversion $37(Canadian) and if we didn't pay we couldn't stay! (Only for people between 18-26 yrs) Luis Omar was the 'Manager' we spoke with and he was a jerk to say the least and we asked why it wasn't on their website, our travel agent didn't mention and he had no written proof it was a real policy when we asked, just kept saying company policy. I asked for a receipt so that when I spoke with our travel agent and found out if it was a scam that we could get a refund he said no receipt no proof just my word or the highway. Pretty unacceptable to me, honestly who is gonna say I am leaving in the middle of the night over $28 bucks but why wouldn't they have it written down??

* The front desk was absolutely useless in the pyramid for any questions, they didn't know where the free kayaks or snorkeling or whatever else was 'included' was or even where to hire jet ski's. They also didn't know how to get into their own club kinky when we asked, sent us off in every possible direction.

* Also kind of odd/ scary there appeared to be a fire at the end of our trip almost since there was smoke everywhere so I called down to the front desk after seeing fire trucks show up and asked, the front desk said he didn't think there was a fire but would check with security.....then my friend called back about five mins later and they said it was the outdoor tree area near the international buffet that was on fire but no one needed to evacuate.

~ ROOM SERVICE ~

* Well this was not included despite paying to be a Grand Oasis member because they said the food is free but the 'delivery service' was $12. Nuff' said right? Scam Scam Scam sighs.

~ RESORT CLUBS ~

* Coyote was ok it had good music but shut down at midnight as did most if not all the bars on the resort really, they force you to go downtown at night for drinks and fun because of this. The club was pretty smoky and hot but we all had fun anyhow and you could dance on the stage in the middle or floors.

* Kinky was a joke, they make you pay for every drink and it's a bar in an all inclusive hotel...it also was only open until 1am and was super empty which I am assuming is because it's so hard to find the door in.

~ DOWNTOWN CLUBS ~

* About $10 bucks usually to take a taxi downtown to the clubs or a dollar for the bus, we did both through out.

* We went to a few places but really loved Senior Frogs, went when it was a normal night but late and they have a cool little set up there and then went during foam party night but we didn't go in the foam since it burns your eyes and also people have been known to pee in the foam when they get to plastered. A definite downside is that they WAY over served some people and consequently there two very plastered girls in the bathroom, one who likely had alcohol poisoning who they said they called an ambulance for and one who got carried out by I hope her friends. Be safe ladies!

* Mandalas was absolutely fun me and my friend got in for free which is always nice, the staff there were super sweet they guarded us and our bags all night and brought us drinks while we danced on the upraised seating. They also let us dance on this little bar the 2nd time we went which was fun, had a little army of waiters the whole evening again. :)

* Daddy-O's was our last night and super fun too but be careful we were leaving the Grand Oasis Cancun to catch a taxi down and this guy who worked at the hotel pulled us aside and tried to say if we gave him $20 bucks he would have his friend Victor get us in as opposed to paying $60 when you show up. We thought it sounded fishy so we declined but some guys took him up on it and he took their picture then we all shared a taxi down. Sure enough there was no Victor and we had to pay to get in lol but we skipped the line and paid less then they originally quoted through out the day, pays to wait and just go down to the club rather then buy tickets at the hotel sometimes.

* The City.....a joke! We paid a lot actually to get in and it was a sardine can! You couldn't move through the crowd without tons of drinks being spilled on you or being elbowed and stepped on. You can't dance, can't talk and we did have bottle service but it was still tough for them to make it back and forth. I eventually found the back smoking area which was amazing in comparison, breezy with a bar / pool and place to smoke....wish I had found that to begin with.

- On a side note which is very scary there was a woman who had an epileptic seizure out front of The City when we went out for a ciggy and there was one guy who didn't know her helping her not choke on her tongue while her useless niece stood by and did nothing (hopefully you have better travel companions who will call and ambulance without being told) and a few security standing around watching. I finally got a security to call and ambulance with the help of my friends and the guy on the ground we banded together to keep her from dying and get her to a hospital however the scary part is when the four paramedics showed up they moved like molasses and stood by while two non paramedics held her and when I talked to the paramedic he was saying what is her hotel and room number! I had to tell the paramedic that she needed to go the hospital for some medication and treatment!! Moral is don't get too messed up because if you have to tell the paramedic you need help then you may not get it.

~ SHOPPING ~

* We went to the market near the clubs which has a lot of little booths with all the same things in each one mostly and tons of people yelling at you to come look at their stuff. We got some souvenirs but I was shocked that most of them started out saying $60 or $40 for things you would buy for $8 - $10 in Canada, but you can definitely barter which is fun too.

~ PEOPLE AT THE RESORT ~

* Tons of awesome people to meet this resort is HUGE but there is definitely 'two' sides one louder and more crowded with a walk up and swim up bar and one quieter with just a swim up bar.

* It is not a family resort by any means and it was weird seeing kids sometimes next to tiny bikinis and super drunk young 20 somethings. This was Spring Break time too so I am sure it was even more hectic then usual. We met so many awesome people on our trip, the Brits were absolutely hilarious.

***********************************************************************************************************************

All in all? It was great for us we all had a blast, if all you're having in Mexico is a bad time then you might just be a sour puss to begin with. I don't know if I will return to this resort itself, the workers every where were super nice and helpful but that front desk was useless and I doubt I would want to have to fight so hard for the things that are supposed to be included. At the end of the day just remember a little Spanish and a nice smile goes a long way, be nice to people and they will be nice to you :)

1 Thank Sasha_Feu

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've written a few reviews with trip advisor and never considered any resort bad. This one is just plain bad....because of management. They do not care after they have received your money. Cockraoches, food poisoning and theft. We saw it all. Fire trucks called to the resort three nights in a row. We stayed in the main building and had black wrist bands. Makes no difference, it just bad. Bring in a customer focused management team and you might be able to save the business.

Cancun was awesome! This resort was not. Will never stay at another Oasis resort again...Ever!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Logan, Utah
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We paid for a "newly renovated" room, but was checked into a non-renovated room, beachfront. It was disgusting. We showed them our paperwork and pleaded to be put into a decent room, even if it was in a different building, but the front desk staff was completely uncooperative and wouldn't move us. The next morning new staff were at the desk and they saved our vacation by moving us to a different room, which was renovated and decent...thank God! The steakhouse was good, but all the other restaurants were really bad and it took FOREVER to get our food. This is a very international resort, in terms of guests as well as food, and you couldn't find cocktail sauce or maple syrup anywhere on site. Nachos from the beach bar consisted of greasy chips and cheese...no salsa, no guacamole, no sour cream. When my husband spoke Spanish employees were helpful, when we spoke English they'd send us on a wild goose chase. I'm usually a really easy-going traveler who loves to write rave reviews about places, but this place was downright awful. Save yourself some grief and go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Stay in the pyramid! All the pyramid rooms are renovated. The outlying buildings are half-renovated...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tinamcc1234
Ottawa
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been to quite a few different resorts all over and this was the worse!

Unfortunately we were not aware that Spring Break was still running and that we'd be in quarters with these individuals when we travelled - had we known? We'd have been a little more persistent about which room we stayed.

Check in was tedious - upon arrival at the Grand Oasis there was a show going on and therefore the lights were dimmed in the main Grand and there are no clear directions to get you to the check-in location - after searching throughout the main area we finally got to the check in centre and waited for the check in process - it was long. Once completed we were given our "keys" and a map and sent on our way - no directions provided ... Lovely! ... It was later in the evening, we were tired and it took us a good 45 minutes before we finally made it to our room, we had to come back to request instructions. Of the two keys provided only one worked and throughout the next four days we made daily trips to get one or the other key "fixed" as it wouldn't work.

We were placed in the "Grand" portion of the Hotel, by the beach, with all the "kids" there on Spring break - we're in our 40s ... great! ... NOT! ... Of the whole week that we were there we were constantly woken up through the night because of kids partying - they were rude and are under the assumption that they have rights above any other occupants within the Hotel because they're there on "Spring Break" ... We're hard working individuals that have also earned the right to respect from other Hotel occupants ... We had one night out of seven nights where our sleep was not interrupted by Spring Break occupants - there were three nights throughout our seven nights where the interruptions were "all night inclusive", this was not part of the deal. On our last night there we actually called the Reception area (0430 hrs) to get Security onto our floor - when we opened the door to tell the loud party goers to be quiet - they were in the middle of the hallway and telling us it was "Spring Break" ... we looked across the hallway and the Security Guard was slowly walking down the hallway and doing NOTHING!! The kids were then noisier (of course)! When we called Reception back half an hour later (0500 hrs) to complain AGAIN - we were told that Security was going floor by floor - we'd told them that we were on the 4th floor. The whole area is open so that when noise is made wherever within the building, it echoes throughout. Others within our building attempted to change rooms and were unsuccessful due to full occupancy, they were told "come back tomorrow". My friend and I are both in the Canadian Military and both have served together on a tour in Afghanistan, we also deserved to have a great vacation - we did NOT!

I felt sorry for retired couples or people with kids there during this time. Not only were there issues in the rooms, hallways at night but the pool area was full of the kids partying, drinking and making out in the pool ... lovely. Not a place for people over 30, married folks with kids or people looking for a peaceful getaway.

The front desk? Brutal! ... Lousy instructions in regards to where our room was. Issues with having to get the keys configured four days in a row. We attempted to get a late check out for our departure and were provided with varying instructions from $20.00 per person to $50.00 per person. On the day of our checkout we compromised with a Manager to get a later checkout (1330 hrs vice 1200 hrs) based on the fact we'd not slept the previous night.

Between Sunwing and the front desk we were referred back and forth for issues that we had - we didn't know where to go.

The Resort has great restaurants and the food was very good. For the places that we were required to make reservations for, the portions were small and in no means did they provide for an ample meal - were I larger the meal would have been insufficient.

The workers in the bars, restaurants and within the room areas are wonderful and probably grossly under appreciated for their efforts. Always smiling and courteous and if you, as the guest, make the effort to speak to them in their mother tongue and treat them as human beings they are wonderful in return. Gonzales at the Market place is a phenomenal bartender and Jorge at the Scuba location was always helpful and courteous.

This resort might have been a 5-Star in it's earlier days - now it is dated and caters to the 20 year olds who are their occupants. They don't care about the comfort and pleasure of their guests. The resort is full and there is no need to improve their facilities. Why bother? They should bother if they wish to have people come to their location and respect other guests and then come back for years after.

If you read this review? Don't go to this resort until there is a significant improvement in the reviews in how they do their business and how they treat their customers. There is so much potential here - they do have a great team of employees ... but so much more is needed.

Good luck!

It's not an issue that the workers do not speak English - I don't expect them to speak English. They're English is fantastic and based on all the different nationalities that do go to this Resort they make the best effort to speak to all guests - they should, however, be more adept at providing better customer service to people and not more worried about the dollars they will be making. There have been little to ZERO upgrades made in this resort in years as friends have seen our pictures and have commented they stayed there years previously and it looked the same.

Room Tip: Stay on the North side ... do not stay where the young kids are.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

First impression wasn't the best during 'check in' ..took a while to get our room keys and even longer to finally locate our room which was on the far end of the resort...some sort of clear direction from the staff would have been helpful vice a finger pointed in the general direction. Throughout the stay...the Front Desk was the centre of negativity...a steady stream of unhappy guests waiting in line for their turn!

Our room was clean, but nothing special. Air conditioning worked fine, water pressure was good. Bar Fridge was always stocked. No complaints!....well, other than you had to pay $5.50/day to use the safety deposit box.

Food was great! There's plenty of places to eat and wasn't possible to eat at them all during our stay. I definitely recommend the steak place which didn't require reservations but probably should given the line-up and wait to get in! Well worth the wait though!

Staff were always very friendly and smiling. I read previous comments about staff expecting to be tipped but I didn't find that to be true. We did tip, however it didn't seem to be an expectation. Like any place, some are friendlier than others.

Beach is amazing!! .. and the pool is HUGE! Lots of places to lounge. We didn't race to get chairs and had no issues ever getting one and the resort was at full capacity.

The only real damper on our vacation was that we went during Spring Break and there were TONS of drunken 20yr olds coming in all hours of the night/early morning screaming, banging doors and being inconsiderate of the other guests. Security didn't really do much to put an end to the noise complaints and plenty of guests were asking to move rooms due to lack of sleep.

This was my 2nd trip to Cancun and would visit again, however the next time I will stay at an adult only resort or one that does not cater to Spring Breakers if I went during the month of March again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to stay in the pyramid, where the main lobby is. Not only will you have a GREAT view f...
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We checked in and it was a nightmare. We came in on a charter and they were not ready for check in it was as if we just dropped in on them. They need to get computerized and figure out an organized system. One and a half hours to check in. Our charter contact was useless. We paid a premium rate to get a Sens room we never got our premium room that we paid for. They would offer upgrades for extra cash to the people in the line then when you get your turn in the check out line they said we couldn't have the premium room that we paid for already with the charter because there were none left. What we got was a shabby room with bed bugs we have bites all over. They offered to fumigate our room, they did not deny that they had bed bugs. They were really non plussed over their bed bugs.They moved us to an even lower quality room. Air conditioning did not work. Every effort to get what we paid for was an exercise in frustration. The food is good. The drinks were adequate. The service was okay if you tipped but if you didn't tip every round they would ignore you.

Room Tip: Get a bed bug bag and wrap yourself in it when you get into the bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Catmc_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#77 of 182 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!