“Long but accurate review of GRAND Oasis Cancun”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #94 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 27, 2013

After reading pages and pages of reviews on this resort I was pretty nervous and did not have very high expectations. I've come to the conclusion that many of the people reviewing this resort actually stayed on the non-Grand side of the Oasis Cancun and don't realize there is a difference. Although they are located close together and share a lot of the same ammenities, they are different resorts. We spent some of our time on the non-Grand side to enjoy the beach party and the night club but a lot of the time we stayed on the Grand side where it was much quieter and relaxed.

Service: Check-in actually took a while although we were the only ones there at the time. We didn't really run into any problems during our stay so I can't rate the service in that way. We did find everyone to be very friendly and nice, although much nicer when tips were involved. We usually always tip anyway but I feel much better about it when they are not asking for it.
Food: The breakfast buffet was great and it was quite good for dinner as well. For lunch we usually went to Happy Chicken (rotisserie chicken, wings, hotdogs, fries) or one of the many other options. We especially liked the steak house for dinner, you do not need a reservation so we went back twice! My complaint about the food is that I was very confused about which restaurants required reservations and which didn't. We received a little map that showed all the restaurants and which ones were "Grand only" but it wasn't that helpful. The first two nights we ended up at restaurants on the regular Oasis side and we were not impressed. The third day we went to the information desk in the lobby and tried to make a reservation for another, when the girl told us that the restaurants that require reservations are not necessarily the best ones. It's best to figure all of this out early in your trip or you'll end up eating garbage with a bunch of drunk spring breakers falling asleep at the tables.
Drinks/Bars: For the most part the drinks were good, we really enjoyed the VIP bar in the evenings. There are many bars to get drinks throughout the day and evening but once 12:00 hits the place is dead and there is nowhere to get a drink. We learned quickly that if you are trying to get a drink on the non-Grand side during the day you will not get served unless you have money in your hand, it was absolute madness trying to get a drink near the beach. There are many guys walking around with cooler bags selling beer and bars set up on the beach with drinks that you have to pay for as well. There are two night clubs, one called Coyote Loco which was ok on the nights that we went. Its a pretty small place so the bar becomes quite congested and a lot of the time they have dancers and contests that take place on the bar so there are long periods when they are not serving drinks. We tried the other night club, Kinky once and didn't go back. It's kind of like a burlesque club, girls dancing in lingerie. There were only about 10 people in there so we figured we'd get a drink and leave. When we ordered a drink we were told it cost $5! Not impressed with this as it is advertised as All Inclusive. We ended up going across the street and buying liquor to make our own drinks which is not something I hoped to do on any All Inclusive.
Pool/Beach/Grounds: The resort itself is actually very nice. It is very clean and well-kept. There are many pools with lots of chairs. The beach is very large as it stretches from the Grand side to the regular Oasis side. So many reviews say how you can never get a chair on the beach unless you go down at sunrise but we did not find this to be true. We went during Spring Break when the resort was definitely full, and we went to the beach every day for 7 days and never once had trouble finding a chair or cabana, and we never went down there before 10am.
Room: The rooms are not great, small with very basic furniture. The air conditioning worked ok but was extremely loud. The bathroom was the worst. The tub did not drain, very little water pressure and our tub leaked a lot of water when we showered. The leaking water turned out to be very dangerous; we were able to be careful when we were showering and put down towels on the floor but a couple days when we came back to our room after it was cleaned there was a puddle of water going out from the bathroom almost to the bed. After the second day we stopped getting facecloths and one day we didn't get clean towels either.
Overall, we still had a fun week. This resort is advertised as a Spring Break party so even though the Grand side is much quieter and you can get away from the party at any time it is still not a good place for kids. There are lots of young drunk students and we saw lots of nudity at the pool, beach and night club. You are not paying for luxury here, so don't expect it but the Grand side is nowhere near as bad as the reviews are making it sound.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank kbung88
Write a ReviewReviews (10,724)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Got a sea view room with 150 euros a night which is a good price for an all inclusive hotel. Rooms was very clean and wifi worked well throughout the hotel area - which is huge. A lot of restaurants and bars - although I only the places you can get in with the black wristband. Those are the better quality places. Got some sort of stomach ache after my stay and I think it was from these chicken wings of the sports bar of the hotel.

Pool area is very cool and the staff are friendly. Fitness center is lousy. Heard the noise from the hallway to the room which was very annoying. Although didn't wake up to any noise at night. But all in all a nice hotel compared to it's price.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room. If you haven't booked one try tipping the front desk guys.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank O-Doggy-Dawg
Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you are a girl that wants to be surrounded by a plethora of beautiful international men you should definitely stay here. I had the best time of my life and met so many great people from around the world. The partying was like what you saw on MTV spring break 10 years ago when it was cool. I will never forget this trip and advise anyone in college to come to this resort. The food wasn't good, but I didn't have time to notice because I was getting drunk from when I woke up to when I passed out. The party extends from the pool to the beach, and compared to all of the resorts around it, it was hands down the best place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SJ V
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Went during reading week with my friends, we are in our 2nd year of university. I guess you could say it served it's purpose, with hundreds of people in our age group (19-25) however even for a "party" resort this place was brutal. I'm not 100% sure if the food there was downgraded due to the fact that they were overcrowded with kids who were just there to party on spring break but it was the worst I've ever had. I'm not even picky but this was a massive deal breaker, we literally went and paid for half our meals elsewhere.

I won't waste my time with a detailed review about how poor this hotel is overall. Even if you're going to party you may want to stay at a nicer neighbouring resort, they all share the same massive beach anyways.

Advice for those who do choose to stay here:
-Make sure one person in your party is organized because the hotel staff is not
-Your ride TO the resort won't be an issue but make sure you know when your ride home is. They lost our info so we basically put ourselves on a different shuttle that we weren't supposed to be on. (Not sure if this was the travel agency's fault or hotel's, in fairness)
-Go somewhere and get WATER, above all else (ketchup, snacks, etc.) you will need this. Especially after a long day/night of drinking
-Plan on never sleeping

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hauzler
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took my mom here for a late Mother's Day gift last year and her two sisters also came so we had a wonderful girls retreat. Check in isn't until 3...weird and we didn't know that. But they will hold on to your bags and you can go to the buffet which has amazing seafood and fruits (that's all we really eat anyway) but they have fancy restaurants that you have to get reservations for the day before. And like a Italian buffet type restaurant. The drinks are free and I did also see boobs because there's a lot of spring breakers so you might not want to bring your kids but it's connected to like a bunch of other resorts so you can go to a calmer section. The beach is like. 2 min walk from the rooms and the water is gorgeous and I made friends with the iguanas and there's peacocks too! I loved it they were all nice to us. Hope this helped!

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Queenmimii
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Food isn't that good

Long waits to get drinks from the bars

There's only 2 main restaurants

The room is very nice and had a bathroom with two sinks.

Our TV doesn't work properly and cuts out every thirty seconds.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank AustinG-08
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a hotel for springbreakers, party people, loud noisy girls and drunk troublesome guys.You go to this hote lif you are a student and wanna do some party. Beach parties can be very good or very bad, however you always get the good viber of springbreak with great people to hang out. Service is a different story; it is the worst I've ever seen, Mexican workers are in a bad mood all the time and always are insinuating you to tip them, so if you don't, don't even expect a look from them. They won't help and they will try scam you for damages on hotel properties you've never been envolved with. It is very annoying but you can get over it. This is a hotel for young party people, the sort that only sleep, eat and go out at night, so if you can avoid hotel's staff it will do much good to your stay. Whatever you do do not take a p¡ss on the beach or they'll get 20 dollars minimum as a bribe.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper levels cause people won't be causing much trouble up there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends