“Vacation 2013 Grand Oasis Cancun”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #87 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Grand Rapids
“Vacation 2013 Grand Oasis Cancun”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in February 2013 for a long awaited vacation. We researched previous comments about the resort and decided you can't make everyone happy and booked our trip anyways. We stayed on the Grand Oasis side of the resort. The Oasis side is strictly for sping breakers. They did a marvelous job of keeping the spring breakers on their side of the resort. The lobby had a magnificent show every night, the VIP lounge and bar were awesome. Service was great. We have seen better rooms but considering we only sleep and shower in the room it was no big deal. Our room was ocean front and pretty much right on the beach, we slept with our slider door open every night so we could hear the ocean. All the restaurants we dined at were great especially the Mexican Restaurant and the Steak House. We have been to Mexico several times along with Dominican Republic, Jamaica and the west coast of Mexico. The service in all of these places can be slow but consider where you are, you are not at the Four Seasons in New York so don't expect service like that. My husband and I always tip when we go (even though it is not required) because we are aware they make next to nothing per hour or even day. The workers genuinally appreciate it and will go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. All in all we had a great, relaxing time and will stay at the Grand Oasis again in the future.

Room Tip: For the quieter side of the resort stay on the Grand Oasis side or better yet in the Pyramid. I hea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank socksGrandRapids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great until I was out of my room for 30 minutes after a 5 day stay and had over $2000 worth of money and items stolen. Since incident, no cooperation in receiving police report for insurance and constant run around. The way this is going it was an inside job. Beware.

• Stayed March 2013
11 Thank jlaufno1

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Firstly, let me mention that there is a difference between Oasis and Grand Oasis - it's the same resort, except Grand Oasis is more expensive and has more facilities, whereas Oasis is cheaper and doesn't offer much as far as all inclusive packages are concerned.

The service is horrible; getting a drink at the bar is next to impossible half of the time, as the Beer pump usually isn't working, the workers are standing around playing on their phones, or they will ignore you until you put a tip in their jar.

The rooms are decent, but there is one MAJOR MAJOR downfall. The doors and walls are extremely thin, so during the night, you can hear everything going on in the building and outside due to the fact that the sound travels through the paper thin walls. Every night we had to put tissue in our ears just to stop some of the noise. At 7 am, maintenance crews can be heard banging on pipes, fixing elevators, talking on their radios and these sounds are quite literally as loud as if they were taking place at the edge of your bed.

The food is absolutely horrendous. The buffets are very repetitive, it's the same food most days with little diversity.

The staff are in your face about giving tips. Countless times, our waiters at the market place buffet (where the buddha statues are) would ask us to provide them with a tip in their hands before we were even finished eating.

The toilet in our washroom had to be fixed three times as it wouldn't flush.

The plates at the restaurant were always dirty and you had to look through the entire stack to find one that was clean.

I would suggest that you DO NOT go to Grand Oasis or even Oasis. For what you pay to stay at this hotel, Cancun has many others that are much nicer with better quality service. Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: No matter which room you stay in at the Grand Oasis (or Oasis) the buildings are built in the shape...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank blue416
TOPEKA
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Very disappointed in overall experience. Staff not attentive to concerns. There are alot of people doing alot of nothing. Air conditioning not working and after 3 attempts in 5 years to have it resolved demanded to be moved. They did accomodate but this should have never occured as the entire building of the complex was stifling heat. Food service and plans totally revamped and not customer friendly. Far too many reservation demanded restaurants and then food was skimpy to poor AND they also offered "for pay" food which is ridiculous as this is an all inclusive. Sadly, the 3 buffets were the best at this resort.
The WORST thing was wine was hardly available and in some situations was neverf available. When it was it tasted horrendous.
Lastly, this resort encourages and promotes selling their own vacation packages to compete with what brought you here. I found that highly insulting and unacceptable. They were very pushy about this also.
Will never return to this resort.

Room Tip: The staff does not present themselves as honest. Too much hustling.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DOITNOWTODAY
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been to Cancun twice- My first stay was at Royal Solaris. My most recent stay(2012) was at the GRAND Oasis. It is a perfect hotel for anyone who is visiting Cancun to let loose from all of the studying and working back home. This hotel is NOT for families!!!! Do not bring your 2 year old with you because you will complain.

The Room: Clean, Two Beds, Working TV, Fridge(beers, sodas, waters), Drawer

Pool/Bar: The key is to get there early, and reserve a stool on that swim up bar, and make friends with the bartender, then you can sit on the bar all you want and start doing body shots. It helps if you have boobs. The DJ is wicked nice, he will play anything you ask of him.

Food: Market Place was the only restaurant we ever tried, and they have really good breakfast. They can make eggs for you etc with all kinds of fresh fruit. Dinner selection isn't as great as breakfast though. But, it was still good!

Room Service: AWESOME. We would come back to the hotel around 7AM and order burgers, and pasta and pizzas (Black bracelet). They weren't super fast. but fast enough

Nightlife: Wide variety of nightclubs, a few of my favorite are- The City, Mandala, Coco Bongo, Senor Frogs, Daddy'os- Those are about 40-50 bucks to get in with bottle service and club promoters are at Oasis every day promoting the clubs, Cabana Beach. Then you have those random bars that are only about 5 bucks to get in!

All in all, Grand Oasis is a wonderful nightclub, you get what you pay for. If you are a family of 4 with two small children looking for a family friendly resort, this is NOT for you. Look elsewhere. If you are young, looking to have an unforgettable lifetime experience then go ahead and book at the Grand Oasis. Because I am going back this summer.

Room Tip: book a room in the pyramid so you will get a black bracelet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jennifer T
Lebanon, Maine
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We traveled here feb19-26 with our 12 year old son. After reading so many horrible reviews I was horrified that I had booked this place and was bringing my 12 year old son. Let me just say I was very plesently surprised with a few things that could change but you get what you pay for and you can't expect a 5* when you know u r getting a 3*. front desk was great! If you meet them with a smile and happy face they will try to do what they can to help you. We payed for a standard room and we ask for a ocean view and they were happy to upgrade us!
Food was fabulous we Loved the steakhouse and the sushi!!! If you tip the waiters in the steakhouse they will bring u as much great steak as you want!!! Tuna maki at sushi restaurant was great! We loved Happy Chicken for lunch it is right on the beach u can have rotisserie chicken YUMMMM! Property is gorgeous and shows are great!! I've been to much larger resorts where the walking from one to another is much more this was nothing! Pools great ocean great. You can find a chair on beach till about 930-10. I got up every morning and reserved a bed and chairs was great!!! Drinks are great! VIP lounge AMAZING lunch that is a must do!!! And prime liquors!!
There are really no younger kids at this resort or activities for them luckily we brought whiffle ball ping pong football things for him to do but I would not bring him here again. If you are bringing a child bring a boogie board too waves are great!! If you want to just swim In the ocean and wade cancun is not the place for u there are many places on that strip u can't swim. Rooms are very small but we also had a king size with a cot. But there was a closet and dresser to fold clothes. We brought a lock for our suitcase so we didn't have to pay for a safe. They really need a beach bar on the grand oasis side closer to happy chicken area!!! Also should put a volleyball net on grand side. There is only one on the oasis side and because spring break was going on we didn't want to go over there it's definitely a different world over there not for young kids!! But u can absolutely avoid all of it!! My son tried for an hour trying to get someone to open a coconut no one would the one person that could was a stand on oasis side that was selling them so he said no my son was very disappointed but after banging it on bed and peeling skin off he was able to open it!! It's nice hearing the music on beach all day tho. The only rude employee we ran into was the restaurant manager I saw him at multiple places and he was not very kind. If you want to eat in any restaurant including buffets make sure u r dressed u can't go in. I even tried to have my son go grab me a sandwich and your not even allowed to take it out of the restaurant. If u want just a cheeseburger which they r great u have to go to the little stand over on oasis side which kinda stinks when your trying to avoid. Grand should defiantly have more snack options to grab and go. Make sure u bring your own cup for drinks otherwise you will be going up every 10 min if your a drinker. The do not have any kayaks or windsurfing snorkeling to rent here I don't know why it says they do. Mexican restaurant Bonita was great!!! Good show 7 coarse meal so filling!!! Lulus pizza was great kahulua ice cream at the end was amazing Buffets are pretty standard not very big I've seen much bigger buffets. But u can find something for everyone. So go with a smile expect a 3 3 1/2 star and you will be very please just have fun your on vacation!!!!! Go with the flow don't let the little things get to you!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Debeaute
Lublin, Poland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our room was at the main building, yes, there were loud shows almost every day, but that was just for 2 hours. What we didn't like is Front desk - you can hardly arrange with them anything, when we asked to close our mini bar 3 or 4 times they finally did it... but they opened it the next day again. We asked them to close it, they did it after a while but it appeared open next day again. When they do not want to help you they pretend they do not understand you.
But there were some good things - room service (ladies who clean our room) were nice and helpful.
We liked Maria Bonita restaurant, great service, excellent mexican cuisine and nice atmosphere, I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: sunset view room are not that comfortable as there is loud sound of conditioning or any other device...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Grand Oasis Sens
Grand Oasis Sens
#82 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!