“Good for what you pay for!”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #94 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is good to average. We stayed for one week and had no complaints. The food is average but eatable. The drinks are small and could be better, none the less all the staff are friendly are go all the way out to help you. The grounds are beautiful, we stayed at the main pyramid and it looks like a jungle inside, it is beautiful I never seen anything like that. If you decide to come here most likely you will have a good time. Just come with an open mind and don't be picky about everything or else you will ruin your vacation. It is a good place for what you pay for. If you are looking more into a five star hotel look somewhere else because this is not the place. Overall our stayed at Grand Oasis was good and me and my husband had a good time, and if we are on a budget we won't hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are the best!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ali F
Write a ReviewReviews (10,726)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my second year in a row to go to the Oasis Cancun. The outside areas (beach, pool, and grounds) are stunningly beautiful. The hotel rooms, not so much. But the mattess was comfortable, the room was cleaned every day, the shower was okay, so what more did I need? I'm sure the rooms in the Grand Oasis are nicer, but you can save a few $$ by staying in the Oasis and still get the use of the glorious pool and beach. We had the up-grade for the restaurants so we could eat at any and all of them and I highly recommend this. There is such a variety of food that I was always able to find too many things to enjoy. My favorite? Market Place Buffet, least favorite, the Happy Chicken. My biggest complaint is the lack of lounge chairs around the pool. Some cushions would also be a big improvement. There are quite a few party-ers, but keep in mind that this place is huge and there's room for everyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margaret J
Reviewed February 26, 2013

There's a lot to discuss. First, the hotel staff made me and everyone in our room pay a $28 USD fee per person that must be paid in cash or we couldn't get the keys. No amount of haggling could get us beyond this fee. The fee is for a "hospital bracelet" for spring breakers. I'm not a spring breaker. They make everyone in the hotel get one (I looked for them after paying the fee). Check in is 3pm, and by 4:30pm our room still wasn't ready. The food wasn't good. The toilet was broken. The shower was disgusting - no tub plug, cracks, staining, etc. There were no comforters for the beds. The phone didn't work. The hotel staff seemed not to care about any of this. It's a party hotel for spring breakers so there is a ton of noise.

The upside is the beach is beautiful, there are peacocks, and check out was easy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Courtney L
Reviewed February 26, 2013

So, I read all the reviews before deciding to go to Grand Oasis Cancun, and I didn't have a single problem that was in any of the reviews. First of all, I think there is some confusion in a lot of the reviews regarding the Grand Oasis Cancun and Oasis Cancun. They are basically the same resort...kind of like two resorts in one. The Grand Oasis has many more perks though. When you book the Grand Oasis you automatically get a black wristband. You do not have to upgrade to it. I think some people writing reviews were booked at the Oasis Cancun and upgraded when they got there. We did see some orange bands for the Grand once they ran out of black. The Grand Oasis lobby is amazing. It's a huge, open aired atrium. We walked right up to the check in desk and checked in....no issues and no waiting. We did get sent over to the concierge desk where a man tried to sign us up for the "welcome breakfast." Don't do this...it's a time share presentation. Although it's not mandatory, you do get $500 pesos to use at the resort. We did it just to get the pesos, and we used them for our golf club rentals. The pool is massive. One side of the pool is the Oasis part where the younger college kids are. That's were the loud music and partying is. My husband and I are both 30 and we stayed away from that area. The other side of the pool is the Grand side where it's more quiet and calm. We loved that area. I read in the reviews about how horrible it was to get reservations, so we didn't even try. The places that require dinner reservations serve the exact same menu at lunch. So, we ate lunch at the nicer restuarants (you didn't have to dress up or anything) and had the buffet sometimes at night. If you do book the Grand Oasis there are several nice places that do not require reservations and are for Grand guests only. One is the steak house, Rodizio(?) I think. It's ok. It's part buffet and the waiters bring steak/chicken/pork around to your table. The mexican restuarant, Dos Lunas, was great. It's the same 7 course meal every night, but the portions are extremely small. The sushi was ok....it's Mexico. We never had to wait in line to eat any meal...breakfast, lunch or dinner. I did find the food kind of bland, but I like really spicy food. We also ordered room service a couple of times. We actually liked that food better than any restaurant. Yes, you do have to get up early if you want good chairs or a cabana. We got up very early and put our towels in a cabana every morning. We brought our own towel b/c we read in the reviews that people will move or steal your towels. We did see this happen to other people. Everybody has the same resort issued blue or yellow towel. We brought pink towels so they would stand out and people wouldn't mess with them. We didn't have any issues. Even if all the chairs around the pool are taken there are plenty of shaded spots under palm trees to relax. All of the bars were ok. We usually went to the VIP lounge which is for Grand Oasis guests only. They have top shelf liqour there. We never had a single issue with housekeeping or with anything in our room. Our room was cleaned everyday, fresh towels, and mini bar stocked. The mini bar has sodas, water, and beer. Nothing fancy. We had an ocean front room. You do not have to book a room in the pyramid for a black bracelet. The entertainment was amazing. We loved it. The staff is great and the grounds are beautiful. There are hardly any Americans there. Lots of Europeans. There is a language barrier of course. We only speak english and didn't have any issues. We did take the bus downtown one day. I was nervous at first, but everything was fine. In the past year my husband and I have stayed at two Sandals resorts in the Bahamas and Jamaica. I would pick this resort anyday over those. It's much cheaper and the quality was the same. This is a great resort. It was a last minute vacation for us. It was cheap and much better than I expected. We did hear people complaining while we were there, but it was only about silly stuff. For example, one person was complaining about the french toast....seriously? It's Mexico people, everything isn't made the exact same way it is in America. Overall, I would recommend this resort to anybody.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
23  Thank jennimp
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We loved Cancun, I just dont think the hotel was right for us. It was beautiful food was ok and it was pretty much 24 hour party place. Great for college students. Other than that rooms were very clean beautiful view dining staff was AMAZING!! be sure to bring tip money for waiters/waitresses.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Naomi G
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Cancun jan/13. Big resort,but never really felt that way. We could have eaten at a different place for lunch and dinner every day. Lots of choices and food was good everywhere we went. It was pretty windy the week we were there but still managed to swim in the ocean every day. Great wave and the water was really warm. The only complaint I have was the check-in.....took so long for no apparent reason. I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: make sure you stay at the Grand part of the resort so you can access all the restaurants and bars,we...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank anettski
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went for my second trip with my son and his girlfriend. we were beach front, ground level off on the quiet side of the resort.

The food was very good in most places and "won't do that again" at a couple of the buger places. Luckily since we were'nt looking for burgers, life was good. The pools were clean, the bar service was adequate and the staff were excellent.

The only thing that was bad was the air conditioning didn't work in my room. They came everyday to try to fix it, and had I not been right next door to my son and right on the beach I would have asked to relocate, but they didn't offer and I wasn't moving. It was a great view and right where we wanted to be on the resort.

The shows in the main Pyramid were very cool!! Must see them!

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the low buildings beachfront, they are much quieter than the main Pyramid.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family