“Amazing Vacation”

Ranked #87 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Oxnard, California
“Amazing Vacation”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I must admit I was a little skeptical about staying in this resort do to all the negative comments I read here, but now I'm glad I totally ignored them all. As soon as we arrived at the front desk we were treated like royalty. We were greeted by a very nice and professional young lady (which name I do not recall at this time) she immediately offered us some tropical drinks and some aromatic towels that felt delicious do to the heat. The best thing is that she upgraded us to a beach front suit without us asking her. After our check-in she called the bellboy and send our luggage to our room while we explored the Resort.

Later that night we had dinner at the Tatish restaurant and again we were treated like royalty by our personal waiter Luis. The food was so unbelievebly delicious that it was a sin not to go for a second plate. We like this place so much that we had dinner there our whole entire stay.

I totally recommed this resort whether you are an older person or a teenager. There's lots of things for everyone. You could relax in one of the hammics facing the beach, kick it at the Coyote loco night club where the atmosphere makes you forget all your troubles (if any) or simply enjoy a nice swim in one of the largest and most beautiful pools of Cancun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Hilda V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
The World
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

My mum has not taken a vacation in years and so I decided to take her to Cancun because my job was offering a too-good-to-miss special at the Grand Oasis. I had two co-workers go before me and they both enjoyed their stay. Upon arrival in Cancun we were accosted by workers of the Yellow Transfers Taxi company. These swindlers were the reasons for the only sour notes to our trip. They recommended a "not another timeshare" presentation at the Beach Palace to us and we paid for a round trip fare but never got picked up on the day of our return.
The Grand Oasis is a beautiful hotel. The lobby is a jungle with vines hanging from each floor and a forest on the bottom floor. It was unlike anything I have ever seen. We got the black bracelets which allowed us access to everything and this was great for me because I know what it's like to be second or third tier. My room was the only one available so we went to check it out while waiting for my mum's room. I was in room 5236 and the views from the room were amazing! My balcony looked down onto the patio of the VIP Lounge which consists of a island of sorts semi surrounded by a koi pond. The bathroom however left a lot more to be desired. The shower head was loose and so would not tilt, the water pressure was non existent compared to my mum's room shower and the general look of the bathroom was dour and un inviting. The only other negative was the lack of wifi Internet. It was available for $5 for 1 hour. $7 for 2-6 hours? and $10 for 24 hours. However when we had an issue with the Internet and went to the desk, we were told that the Internet was provided by a 3rd party and we would need to call them via the toll free number for assistance but using the phone in the room was going to cost us. Really!?!?
My favourite restaurants on the resort were Sevilla - our server Carlos was amazing!!, Marketplace was pretty good, Careyes was a culinary voyage and VIP has simple but light and healthy food.    Because I was with mum I did not drink like I am capable of but simply sipped here and there. This trip's cocktail was the Bob Marley and the Sangria Carlos made for me in Sevilla.
On the whole the Grand Oasis was great. My mum loved it and would not stop eating. I wish I had taken time to check out the gym and spa but I am sure... I am quite certain... I know I will  be visiting again in the very near future!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Miicha04
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

much ado about nothing grand. my friend is disabled [dosen't do stairs
well] so we got a room 1/2 mile from the grand oasis, when complained
about it and asked for disabled room it was ho hum. offered room on
first floor with view of bushes. room we got 1/2 mile room[only one available] view was empty swimming pool being fixed whole trip.
have stayed here three times in 20 years, this was worst. never again
going to stay at flamgio cancun resort, no problems there.

Room Tip: dont go here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank shayne s

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Long Beach, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This resort is good place to stay where you get what you pay for. We got an all inclusive package, but something we didn't know about was wrist band colors. There's black which you have no restrictions on where you can eat, purple does have restrictions. So if possible, before you book ask to make sure you have no restrictions.
Employees were all very helpful for most part, and the lady who would clean our room did a great job too. I would tip her and leave a little thank you note. Bathrooms aren't the best, they could use a little work. We didn't loose anything from the room, but did get a lock to put our valuables away which was $5 dollars a day. The wireless wifi is not free anywhere you stay, at this resort its $10 a day or about $30-35 for 5 days. It worked okay, it would sometimes work a little slow.
Food was good for most part, they had a couple buffets that were open almost all day except when they would change from breakfast to lunch and lunch to dinner. They would close for an hour or so in-between. As regards to the sit down restaurants, only reservations you had to make were for dinner and you had to make them at the entrance at an office where it said "Oasis Luvs U". You have go early in the morning before 10am to make your reservation and the reservations are not for the same day unless they have a cancellation, so expect to be scheduled for the next day.
I could keep writing about this place.... lol... Hopefully this answers some questions you may have and if I can answer any others, send me a message and I'll try to answer it for you.
Good luck..

Room Tip: Ocean front view was great!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CHRISTIAN V
Elizabethton, Tennessee
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I went there this past August with my wife and Mother in Law and her friend. We chose to do the all inclusive package which is dfinitely worth it. The restaurants were what I would call average at best. We eat at all of theme and they all just had bland food and you could tell the desserts were frozen. For a resort of this caliber I expected better food for sure. Also stay away from the guys selling things down by the Loco bar they are nothing but scam artists. My mother in law bought a necklace and earrings of a guy there for 200 dollars that was supposed to be handmade. We seen them downtown the next day at a aquarium for 29 dollars for the set. We went down to confront them but they were conveniently not there. The bad thing is the resort is affiliated with these sellers and they let them rip you the customer off. Very bad way to do business!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank brett c
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

It's a really big hotel complex, you need around 20 min to go from one end to another.

The hotel is old but renovated.

It is a really good deal for the money you spend there. Everything is included, drinks and food, which is of really good quality. The drinks were watered down though, and quite often it took a long time to get served.
There are many restaurants to choose from, so regarding food, no complain at all.

The beach is really nice, but swimming is not recommended due to the big waves, typical at the Riviera Maya.
We paid around $ 750 per person for a double room, for 14 nights. I think it is a really good price, given that it was high season. If you go there during low season, prices are as low as $30 per night per person.

The pool is really enjoyable and there are many pool bars to relax there.

The bathrooms are big and comfortable, they have big bathtubs but the plumbing is old and the water has a strange color (I'm afraid this is not because of the hotel, but because of the quality of Mexican water).

Overall it's a good choice, considering the price and the number of restaurants available.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Constantin-K
Thornton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Booked 7 months in advance two queen bed. Took forever to check in. There were lots of people behind the desk but only a couple actually working. Got to our room, it was a king not 2 queens as I requested. Dragged our luggage back to the lobby only to be told there were no more double beds until the following day. Had to go back to the lobby 3 times the following day just to change rooms.. Got to the new room and it's two double beds pushed together! The fur iture was horrible was supposed to be shabby sheik, just looked shabby! They advertised all kinds of restaurants or snack bars.. There were only a couple of restaurants and the snack bars were not open. Have been to Mexico a few times and will never go back to the grand oasis!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dani M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Oasis Palm
#75 of 181 in Cancun
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,797 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!