“Grand Oasis Cancun Resort”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #91 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The resort and property are beautiful. The employees were very, very pleasant and helpful. The room was sub-standard. We stayed in a room overlooking the sea. Very outdated. Refrigerator was very old and nasty. No cold water in bathroom, until we had them come and check it out. The sliding patio door to our balcony was very heavy and did not open and close easily. There are no handles of any sort so you just had to really push and pull it to close it. Came off the track easily and a real pain. The sliding door did not lock either. I guess you get what you pay for. We did enjoy most all of the restaurant venues, the buffets could have been better. We will probably try to upgrade our resort next time around.

Room Tip: Must stay in a room that was recently renovated. Very poor condition when not renovated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Oasis Cancun

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I read mixed reviews about this hotel and I had a doubt about this hotel when I booked it. I don't have any complaints about this hotel. The service was good, we stayed at the Grand Oasis so that was a big plus for all the options it covered. The only thing is that the lobby is so hot you would have to go to the VIP lounge to cool off but other than that everything is great. We got and ocean front room in the pyramid it was very nice. There are 17 restaurants to choose from and a wide variety of food. The food was excellent. For an all inclusive hotel the food, service and landscape is awesome. The beach is wonderful there was always plenty of chairs available and was always kept clean. The hotel is very clean, the staff are very helpful and try their best to please you. The hotel is situated very close to all the attractions and very close to the airport. We plan on returning back to this hotel next summer. We had an awesome vacation in Cancun!!! Thank you Grand Oasis.

Room Tip: The Grand Oasis pyramid are the best room and are upgraded. Try the higher rooms so you can have a w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LapicoDallas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed for 8 nights at this hotel, and the time stayed couldn't have been better. Was my 4th time in Cancun, and this hotel was the best I have been too.
The check-in was reasonably swift, and the majority of the receptionists spoke good English. As a party of 8, we had 4 twin rooms. Rooms were not adjacent, but 3 were within a few rooms of another, whilst the 4th was two floors above, but all were in the same block. The room was as expected - two queen size beds, smallish balcony and a bathroom. Also was a 42inch flatscreen TV with 40 channels or so. The minibar was free, barring you didn't go over the permitted 2 drinks per day of water, sprite, coke or sol. Beds were comfy, and the bathroom came with two sinks - and was more than adequate. The air con worked well too, although in one of the rooms in the party, it was not great, but they were not overly fussed.
The maid (we think) seemed to come later in the day, but we put this down to us being the kind to sleep in till quite late. The only 'annoying' things about the room was that we were woken (albeit at 10am) by someone requesting if we had mosquitos or anything in the room, which we did not. At least it shows they were willing to check.
The Grand Oasis Cancun shares the same complex with Oasis Cancun, and all guests are able to walk around the entire complex, use the same pools and so on. The complex is rather big, and we were a bit daunted at first, but you soon get used to it. I must admit, at first, I was a little perplexed as to the difference between staying (and paying more) and the Grand Oasis than just the Oasis Cancun. The difference is actually quite considerable upon staying there. As a Grand Oasis resident you get full access to every bar and every restaurant, whilst also free room service (i was led to believe) and also we were allowed into the foam party for free (i think it was 390pesos otherwise.) Simply put - the restaurants alone make it worthwhile. Whereas Oasis Cancun residents have an extra surcharge on the specialist residents, of $20 per head, these were all free. The Tapas restaurant was beautiful, and never busy, with service which was on the whole immaculate. There were around 14 different dishes to try, all of which were brought out as you progressed, and the house red was very nice.
There was also a buffet restaurant just for Grand Oasis members, which was ok, while the main hotel buffet (called the Marketplace) had superb views of the beach, and had a very good range of food and of good quality. There was also a Mexican restaurant, which you had to book, but again was free for Grand members and was very authentic and filling! Lastly (of the ones we did eat at) there was a greek sort of restaurant, which looked like a usual buffet, until you were served a variety of skewered meats - beef, lamb, ham, chicken etc, all of which melted in the mouth and was exquisite.
Of the restaurants for everyone - the Italian was the best by far, and the food and service was quite simply brilliant. There was a small buffet, followed by a menu, of which you ordered sides of pizzas for the table, and then a main. The stuffed chicken was nothing short of brilliant - served on a plate of roasted vegetables, and i think i had this 3 times (open for lunch and dinner) whilst the Salmon too was excellent. There is also an American Sports Cafe which serves US style food - wings, burgers, but again was good as a snack.
Another highlight of being a Grand Oasis member is access to a couple of extra bars which serve better quality of drinks and in 'proper' glasses. In general this makes the beer better, and everything go down much better. Also, if you tip, you upgrade from house bourbon to jim beam or jack, and likewise across all products.
The general presentation of everything is immaculate - the pool is clean, the grounds are tidy, you do not see any bits of litter or so, and there is always workers doing something - polishing floors, wiping tiles/walls etc - it is very good to see. The pools are also very big, and you are able to get away from the areas where they do put on music and events, so there is something to cater for everyone. The 3 pool bars are also a big plus. There is constant entertainment, from dancers, to games involving guests to mini shows, all of which are light hearted and add to the atmosphere.
The beach is a massive plus, and is perfect. The sea is turquoise and warm, and is shallow for a good way, and the waves are quite decent, and fortunately without too strong a current. The beach is also manned with life guards, which only let you bath between certain points - also a strong point of the hotel.
The only negative i could think of, although it isn't really one is that in the Grand Oasis main reception area, there is a huge rainforest, where they put on evening shows. As a result, it can be quite humid in there, but again, the bars and restaurants are all air conditioned anyway.
For the younger generation (such as our group) booking nights out to the clubs through the hotel was also worthwhile - they got you in without queuing and also you were given a table with bottle service (all free) in the club, which takes the hassle out of waiting to get your own drink. You also get a free bus to the venue that night.
One final thing - we were the only English people at the hotel, which was a massive plus for us. Last year, our stay in Cancun was tainted by large groups of 'Lads on Tour' sort of people who only wanted to booze all day, get incredibly drunk and fight, and the place only feels like somewhere out in England. This hotel compromised mainly of Mexicans and Americans, which was perfect for us. We didn't make loads of friends, but being a party of 8 we were not overly fussed, but everyone we did speak to was friendly enough. Would definitely go back, and recommend this as a place to get away from Brits if that is your thing.

A wonderful experience and a great hotel in so many ways - well worth it.

My last piece of advice is be ready to tip - but this applies everywhere in Cancun. It doesn't have to be loads - 50 pesos here and there (sometimes do it before you order a drink) and it really does go a long way to improving service and everything. One quick example - we went to the club night at the hotel and requested Jack Daniels and Coke and we were told they didn't have it. We gave him 100pesos (circa £5) and we got JD all night, and some free cigars thrown in.) Likewise if you get table service, you get served quicker, and more frequently, and also get better standards. You also get remembered for doing it, so it reaps rewards the next time you go there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank NickBond1989
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I like to stay somewhat close to the airport when I travel so Grand Oasis Cancun is a good location. Check in is 3pm, that process went well....they will tag you with a color coded wrist band (do not lose it $150 to replace) after you check in someone will walk you around then issue you beach towel cards...this is a huge property, 5 buildings so you can get lost, make sure you have some good walking shoes. The room was clean, but the sheets were dirty, called the front desk straight away, the hotel chamber maid was there in less than 5 minutes. The shower was clean, good water pressure...the pools are very clean and the service at the swim up bars and tiki bars was good...the employees are good, didn't have any problems there, as with any "Third World" country, everyone is out to make a buck so learn the word NO... be careful with timeshare scams, they will ask you if anyone at the airport tried to hook and reel you in, if you answer yes, they offer a better deal so be careful. I did have food poisoning by day 2, in the bed for the next 36 hrs...there is drug store close by and a medical clinic in the hotel...taxi serive is good but it was $30 to get back to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris S
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I strongly believe that this resort is specifically for High School/College students only. The level of service is not up to par and the quality has changed over the years. I stayed here 7 years ago and the level of service/quality was immaculate compared to what it is now. The pool literally smelled like PEE and the pool was was super filthy to the point that it was cloudy and you couldn't see "it hadn't rained that day". The receptionists weren't helpful in any way and kept giving me the run-around when I specifically asked for 2 rooms with double beds; instead they gave me 2 room with single beds and didn't want to fix the issue. When I had asked/payed for "Ocean Front" they instead gave me "Roof View" rooms and again didn't want to fix the issue and satisfy my needs. When I had gone back down to the receptionist area to complain about my rooms they gave me the run-around and it took me literally 3 1/2 hours to speak to a manager. I had to go through 3 "ASSUMED" managers before I can speak to the head/floor manage. It was a complete mess and it greatly disappointed me and the guests that I had brought with me. I can now say that I will "NEVER" go back to this resort because of the experience that I had on June 20th 2012. I will also "NEVER" recommend this place to any couples/families for their stay. Horrible Service/Quality....

Did I mention that there are Roaches in the rooms and "Condoms" floating in the pool?

Room Tip: If you must stay here they choose a room in the Pyramid but you will need to confirm if you want dou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jgoncalves99
Reviewed July 28, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on this site I was pleasantly surprised. My room was fantastic it was huge in size including a spa bath. I found the service the exceptional throughout the hotel. The pool and entertainment really made the hotel it seemed both families and young party goers had no problems sharing the area. I had no problems getting a pool chair or chair down on the beach which by the way was amazing! Yes the food at some of the restaurants was definitely average but overall that wasn't a huge concern for me. For the price I paid for an all inclusive week at the Grand Oasis I was extremely satisfied and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Book Grand Oasis not Oasis to get the best value.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Lil404
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Oasis and the Oasis Palm, I wanted to upgrade to the Grand Oasis this trip. I was disappointed that the room was in one of the Oasis buildings rather than the Grand. The room was totally white, with out any lamps or decorations. The furniture was just 2 small night stands and one was broken. We had other issues with the room, but they were fixed. Overall the room was "dumpy". The hotel itself is beautiful. The restaurants were crowded but having the option of just using the Grand Oasis restaurants made a big difference in waiting time. Everyone was helpful and friendly and did their best to make out stay perfect. I am not too picky about a room, but for the extra money I spent to stay at the Grand Oasis I was disappointed. After 3 times, now it is time to move on to another hotel.

Room Tip: If you are picky about a room, upgrade from the standard room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula585
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#87 of 176 in Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#26 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Grand Oasis Cancun? Share your experiences!