“The good far outweighs the bad”
Review of Grand Oasis Cancun

Grand Oasis Cancun
Ranked #94 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Oasis jan28-feb1 '12, travelers being myself/boyfriend and my mother/her guy pal. We had the all inclusive upper level black wrist bands, which gave us access to all the restaurants and VIP areas/bars. This was definitely a plus, as we often found ourselves in the VIP bar attached to the main pyramid for pre dining cocktails! One bartender definitely stood out, Angel is his name, and he mades the most delightful 'special mexico' drink, tastes like an iced cappuccino….. ordered it from other bartenders and they never came close! (you can find him in the VIP bar or the little jazz/bar area outside of Careyes)

ROOMS
We had two rooms, both on the building on the right side of the resort, closest to the beach. One was a ocean view, the other a 'garden view'. The ocean view was nice, nothing spectacular (aside from the view, of coarse), very very slight mildew smell… but that is hard to avoid anywhere in cancun, from my experiences. This was my mothers room, they had an issue with the a/c but it was tended to and fixed immediately. My boyfriend and i's room was a garden view… but because it was on the far edge of the building, it was on the edge of the resort, so the view wasnt all that amazing. Our room had a pretty bad mildew smell, and a california-king bed set up (had requested king, but this worked out just fine in the end, no fighting over the blankets :) ) Also, our mini bar wasnt stocked. Complained the next day with manager in attempt to switch room, but only ended up with stocked mini bar and somehow slightly less stinky room… but I think that was due more to turning the air of the 'high' and '50 degree F' settings. Both rooms had alarm clocks and flat screens, we shared safe with my mother solely to keep passports and wallets stacked up messily.. safes are about size of rectangular shoe box, stuck to wall by the bottom, and open like a hinge attached to the short end, kinda weird, they lock with a key. I will be honest, the rooms are not that phenomenal, I've stayed at hotels that are in the top 20's of cancun resorts, and they were far more spacious and pleasing to the eye….. however the rest of this review will explain why the rest of the resort far compensates for just 'ok' rooms.

RESORT
The grounds were spread out and beautifully maintained. We ran across the peacocks that reside here and were able to take pictures by them! Very cool, and gorgeous animals. The length of a pool running through the resort like a river was not only cool, but practical. Every part of their hotel had a place nearby to go swim or lay by the pool, so you never had to worry about congestion or hoards of kids blasting into the pool. Also, this allowed the crazier side (the oasis mostly seemed to have party crowd) stay more to their side and be wild and crazy and peace, while the middle had mostly families and the far right had a mix of a few families and the type of crowd looking for relaxation next to the pool side bar. Though confusing at first, just follow your map of the restaurants you can get at the front desk, you'll get the hang of it after a day where everything is located. Beach is great, finding chairs may be hard but we would generally grab what we could find/grab a 'beach bed' for all to share, didnt matter since we were busy playing in the waves :) make sure you find a family near by, we always made 'towel watch pacts' with nearby people to try and avoid the elusive towel theif. Resort was always clean, and staff pleasant. They get excited when you try to speak spanish, it was fun to practice what we could remember. Met many americans and canadians, though there were lots from europe and mexico as well. diverse! The initial walk into the main front desk is breathtaking, though check-in takes far too long, at least a half hour but we were negotiating a room switch.

FOOD
buffets: VERY good. again, we stayed at resorts rated in the top 20's… this food FAR exceeded the quality we experienced there. Food was always plentiful, refilled promptly, and had a wide variety. We had breakfast every morning at the buffet that is attached to the asian/sushi restaurant. Great view of beach and good food. The little waffles + drizzled condensed milk + coconut = heaven. Omelette station was very good, lots of mix ins and toppings changed daily. Make your own mimosa's here daily! very fun. We ate at one of the other buffets closer to the left "oasis" side, food was also good, much more crowded here. cooked mussels right in front of you on a grill!

brazillian place: i forget the name, but on the dinner menu of the resort map, it has the 'carne' or meat written as the category. its on the far right side of the resort. AMAZING. buffet style for the sides, then the meat is walked around by the waitstaff, cooked on skewers and carved off depending on what you want… there was sirloin, filet minon, chicken, etc and it was fantastic!!! cannot say enough about this place

dos lunas, italian place, reservation needed: this was one of three reservation required restaurants. to be honest, the food was just ok… of the 4 courses i had, the best part was the main course, i had the chicken, bf had the steak, both were very good/flavorful… downside=2.5 hour meal. service is SO SO SO slow in the actual sit down restaurants, no clue why. very fun entertainment, dancers come in and do about a 15-20 minute show, very good and very enthusiastic. if you have to choose between this and a different reservation restaurant, choose the other.

careyes, fine dining mexican/international: this is supposed to be resorts premiere restaurant, it shows. still the 2-3 hour dining experience, but EXCELLENT food. goat cheese ravioli, ox tacos, AMAZING sirloin, and wonderful drinks, cant go wrong here.

asian/sushi place: my bf and i dined here for lunch one afternoon…. again a long 2 hour experience, but EXCELLENT. coconut shrimp and other type of shrimp were spectacular, so fresh and well done, i was not a huge shrimp fan until now! main course of sweet and sour chicken was decent, and the roll we ordered was pretty dang good as well, forget the name, maybe a dragon roll?

EXCURSION
Bf and i did the adventure excursion to the coba ruins, booked through the guy at the towel stand, allTOURnatives, as it was a better price than through the various companies in the basement of the main building (we had checked w best day, who our shuttle was through) 107 USD got us zip lining, rappelling into a cenote (underground pool!) canoeing, hiking, lunch and the coba ruins. We wanted to do coba over chichen itza as you can still climb up to the top of the main ruin, not allowed at chichen, plus they are closing it soon so its only possible for a little while longer! ziplining was amazing, the cenote was a once in a lifetime experience, gorgeous, and physically exerting, we both work out regularly and it was a good work out, but not toooo much. at coba we hired a bike taxi for 9.50 USD and he got us to all the ruin sites after our tour, and waitied for us to climb the pyramid, what a view! so gorgeous and amazing, definately worth it. (try the cocos frios when you get back, super refreshing after vigorous day, full of electrolytes and better for ya then gatorade!) group max of 12 so the tour is more intimate.

Overall, this was a fantastic trip. The forecast before we got there was rain/thunderstorms everyday for 5 days, and for any facing the same worries, it sprinkled one day for 5 minutes and the rest was a partly cloudy/clear skies. Rain forcasted in mexico= maybe slight clouds and 3 seconds of rain :) Drinks were good, if you want something strong, just tell them! Scooby doo shots are good, special mexico by Angel tastes like a iced capp, and miami vices are tasty. Would definitely go back, but may try to get within the main pyramid/building.

Room Tip: Pyramid is supposed to be the best/most updated, though the front right building ocean views were pr...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Kaitlyn B
Write a ReviewReviews (10,724)

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place.

The grounds are fabulous, though I feel like I am staying in steerage compared to the other Oasis  hotels on the property. Guests of each hotel is allowed to visit the others – with 24 hours notice! Takes away from the spur of the moment dining at the other hotels.

My room is  renovated,  but the toilet is old and grotty.  So is the closet.

My biggest gripe is the all inclusive that isn’t.  At check-in you’re given the option to upgrade your all inclusive package for about $28 which lets you get top shelf liquor and a mini bar in your room with about 20 items.  When you get to the bar, you have to wait and they try to get you to order shots for 100 pesos.  The staff also have tip jars. Maybe I’m spoiled by other resorts, but I am used to all inclusives where I don’t have to look at my wallet until I get to the airport, or if I choose to do some excursions. Here, if you want to see the entertainment, you need the upgraded package, otherwise big,burly bouncer types tell you to get lost.  You also get a towel allotment and will be charged $15 if you lose your towel or it gets taken on the beach.

The place is filled with college kids on a perpetual spring break.  People have told me it is like this all the time. This is apparently the party hotel.  I am surrounded by coeds who have the main goal of drinking as much as they can. They are screaming in the atrium.

The pool is amazing looking.  It sakes through the resorts and has swim up bars.  The problem?  It smells like pee! The damn drunk coeds  don’t get out of the pool ever!   I guess I will stick to the ocean.  Though there are sellers on the each trying to get you to buy everything from cigars to purses to necklaces.  They are relentless. If you want a chair, you apparently have to get out there by 5am.

The internet is $20 for 24 hours or you can use theirs in another building for $8 for each 30 minutes.

Positive: the front desk had my room ready early.  That was great after a night of no sleep getting ready for the pool. There was a beach party to ring in the new year. That was fun. There was also a nightclub party on the property, but you had to pay extra.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank JazzyTravellerNYC
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Just spent three weeks in Cancun, staying at the Grand Oasis ,Crown Paradise Club, and BeLive hotels. Of the three the Grand Oasis scored the highest in service, amenities, food,and impressive grounds. If you are in your twenties this is the place to be. If you are more mature, make sure you are far removed from the younger, noiser crowd. Spend the additional charge to upgrade to VIP. It entitles you to all the restaurants, and VIP room.
I recommend staying in the main building for more updated rooms.

Room Tip: upgrade to main building VIP
4  Thank mammaro5
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed from Jan. 26th to Jan. 30th and I will start by saying this was our 7th time to Mexico with this being our 4th time in the hotel zone. Comparing this resort to the other 6 shed some light on the managements shortcomings. I do realize every resort is is different, has its own personality but I was not expecting some things.
Check in took 20 minutes which was a bit long but it happens. We were given a room in one of the outer buildings (room 4422). We knew well in advance we weren't going to have an ocean view room but we were a bit annoyed to see that they gave my wife and I 2 double beds and no mini fridge. Our room reservation was for a king size bed and a mini fridge. They placed the water and soda cans on top of the table which was tacky. The bedspreads felt very gritty with one of them having a white chalky dust as if they had been working in the room. The safe ($4.00 daily) sat vertically which didn't allow for a normal sized laptop. Luckily we had a tablet. The decor was very sparse and the room did have that damp, musty feeling. The table and 2 chairs sat right up against the bed which suggested the room was too small for them. I did return to the front desk to request a room for what we paid for and of course true to other reviewers I was told that all of the rooms with king sized beds were taken. This was another perfect example of a resort biting off more than they can chew by overselling room types. I was told to check back in the morning which I did. Next day we were moved to another room (4648) in the same building. This room was also very sparse with the decor but it did have a king bed and mini fridge. This room however didn't have that dank feeling. What both rooms had which was a nuisance was a partition which separated the rooms. There were no knobs but you can see the light from the top and underneath the door which was quite bothersome when you wanted to sleep and your neighbor was awake with their lights on. Neither of the rooms had blackout drapes and the walls were very thin. Housekeeping came around 5 on every day and the amount of towels left varied with who was cleaning the room. The safe in this room was situated horizontally and was definitely larger. The room didn't have any dressers so we were living out of our suitcase. They didn't have an iron or ironing board. I contacted the front desk twice and 2 house keepers for one and over a day later, an iron came. I will say the beds in both rooms were more of the comfortable ones we slept in as most of the beds are too firm for our tastes.
So, to summarize the room, I expected a nicer room with the amenities that came with that.
Food: We enjoyed the food at the Brazilian,Seafood and the Mexican gourmet restaurants. Just be prepared for a long time between courses. We waited on average over 90 minutes at each rest. The buffets were on the other hand were disappointing but not because of the food but because of the temperature and selection. The hot food wasn't hot and the beverages weren't cold. We went to 3 different buffet spots and it was uniform in their preparation. They didn't offer any bacon or fresh fruit smoothie drinks. Only 1 of them offered maple syrup for the cold french toast and pancakes. If you want your food hot, it is best to wait for them to walk out with it when refilling. The taste of food is always subjective but the way the temperature is kept is not. That was a big negative.
Grounds: Beautiful....just look at all of the reviewers pictures. No need to comment on the obvious.
Fitness Center: Now I know why I couldn't find any pictures. The size and condition of that gym was one so disappointing considering the size of the resort. They did offer free weights but the equipment is old and they didn't offer towels or sanitizer. Any one who exercises in a gym understands the importance of those items. I also understand a lot of people could care less about a gym but that is something I do take into account when I travel and there maybe a few of you guys who feel the same way.
Misc: We opted to use an internet cafe off grounds at a way cheaper price. The exchange rate at the resort was 10.20 per u.s.d. You can get a better exchange rate ( 13.20)
Summary: I charge a lot of deficiencies to the management directly. The workers can only work with what they have. The management is responsible to ensure the rooms are uniformly decorated and furnished, the food is prepared and maintained across the board and the way they handle customer service issues. The beauty of the resort is not enough.
I did read reviews of the satisfied guests who stayed in the pyramid. I'm pretty sure my review would've turned out differently but not every guest has the opportunity to stay there. We did have the black wrists bands which did allow us access to other areas but that wasn't enough to change our opinions. We will not return. I apologize for the length of the review but as I've stated in previous reviews, these trips aren't cheap, we need as much info. as possible. I try not to comment on other vacationers behaviors because you are going to have rude and respectful but I try to focus on the resorts response to that. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Thank you.

2  Thank jerseytraveller_8
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Grand Oasis is probably at best 4+ star hotel. What drops it down to a 3 star is the shared areas with the Oasis Cancun. The Oasis Cancun is primarily occupied with young single folks who more or less take over the common areas of the resort. The pool areas, beach, pool bars and a few of the shared restaurants were absolutely packed with people.

The food at the Grand Oasis was excellent. We enjoyed the meals and specialty restaurants very much. There were many restaurants to pick from and we had no trouble getting reservations for any of them. The buffet's were very well done also with steak, salmon, chicken breast and shrimps being grilled every day. The service in all the venue's was also very good.

The staff are very friendly and the rooms in the Grand very nice. It's a good overall experience but like I said the rating has to be dropped by the Oasis Cancun. I would guess the Oasis Cancun to be a 3* but since I didn't stay there so it wouldn't be fair to comment.
A word of caution though... we upgraded to beach front and paid extra. The catch is the ocean front room we had was part of the Oasis Cancun which like I mentioned is suited for the young. The result was noise and drunken activity in the halls pretty much all night long... so don't upgrade and if you do certainly don't pay extra like I did.
Would we go again? probably not for us but certainly for some so if all sorts of noise and activity is what your looking for then go for it.

Room Tip: If you pay for the Grand then stay in the pyramid part of the grand...
1  Thank Derek J
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Upon arriving at the Oasis we were greeted by several bellhops welcoming us, taking our bags and leading us to a private check in desk. We were each handed a cool towel, and a tropical fruit drink. We were quickly directed to our room in the main pyramid which is definitely the place to be!! Overall, the place was very clean and entertaining. There were random employess constantly wandering around in costumes singing and dancing just to get smiles. The restaurants were good, the buffets got old after a few days but most of the ala carte were great. Highly recommend the Brazilian, and the fine dining one!! Drinks were good, the fruity ones seem weak because theyre made with tons of ice and fruity syrups. They got old after a few days so I switched to shots of tequilla and cerveza. The pools are amazing as well as the beach which was clean, and loaded with chairs and beds. The rooms were clean with fridges stocked daily. The location is a little ways from the party hardy downtown but only a short bus ride away, although clubs are ridiculously expensive to enter (over 40 dollars!!) so we mostly stayed on the resort. Take a day trip out to Chitzen Itzu to see some amazing sites! Overall, I would go back in a minute, but I plan on Jamaica next.

Room Tip: Bring 100 dollars in ones for tips, which aren't necessary but highly appreciated!! Bring a ins...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank timigregory
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just got back from the Grand Oasis hotel, we were there from January 21-28.
first bad impression came when we got off the bus & not one bellboy helped my 73 year old Mother with her luggage until she had hauled it up the stairs to where they stood watching everyone. So not impressed.
I guess if you book with sunwing they have a seperate check in room ( it stunk in there ) the guy checking us in wanted to keep my papers with flight information and i said i wanted them back, he said he would make a copy for me... i told him he could have a copy and i wanted my papers back. don't know what that was about but I was a bit put out and wasn't in the mood for this. I did keep my papers.
Got to our room, pyramid ocean view. Not one of the updated ones but we had a flat screen tv and the room was clean. we had booked two double beds but had one king size and they couldn't accomadate us. no big deal, she is my mother. my only problem was the tV wouldn't work and our toilet flushed once and not a second time. I phoned down to get someone to look at it, no one came so for the night we had to put our hands inside the tank to flush. i admit that when i went in the morning to the front desk it was taken care of fast.
The resort in itself is run down and they are working on getting it back to a nice place. once things are done it will be beautiful and more expensive to stay. i think it was once very beautiful.
The pool is awesome and it is clean no matter what else you read. they have a man with goggles in there every morning getting the littl stuff from the bottom. when we were ther it was realy windy and I don't think anyone could have cleaned it better then this guy.
the wood beach loungers at the quiet pool need replaced, they were falling apart pretty bad.They have cushions for them and only part of them were anything you would want to lay on. there were a limited amount of new ones available so i learned to get up early and the new ones before the guy that put them out could stop me.
Loved the vip lounge,this is one place that impressed me with the servers and the the security at the doors at all times.
The food was realy good in the places set aside for Grand vacationers only. loved the beachfront seafood for lunch. it rained one day and my mom and i didn't run inside but waiters and all tables ran for shelter. managment ended up serving us more wine and desert. My mom and i had a blast.
breakfast was god aweful, couldn't stomache it after i watched the cook leave the washroom without washing her hands. couldn't get that out of my head. We ended up having fruit for breaky and going for lunch earlier then we would have.
Loved the italian place the first time we went, we liked it so much that we planned it for the last evening. sorry we did. i had half a raw chicken and my mom had a steak so tuff she couldn't eat it. Too bad we couldn't keep our fist impression in our head.
loved the Mexican place too, very elegant and the food was realy good.
staff was hit and miss but that starts higher up so i won't say much about that. the good ones were realy good. Loved Alex at the beachside place.
All in all, my mother and I had so many laughs and have gone away with memories to last a lifetime.

Room Tip: the room you want is personal but oceanfront is quieter, drink enough you will fall asleep easy enou...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family