“Pleasant enough hotel”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #53 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Overall I was pleased with this hotel. I think some of the really negative reviews come from people who expect a 5 star hotel for budget hotel pricing - and this is not a 5 star hotel and I don't think it tries to advertise itself as such. That being said - a lot of the reviews on this site had me nervous about going there - and we found the hotel to be charming, the staff accommodating, the spa relaxing and we were pleased.

Issues - The airconditioning in the room did not work. I see some reviews from people that have traveled since we were there to say it does work - hopefully it does better than when we were there. We were there in high humidity season so not sure if it was cooler when the others were there. The lobby ac seemed to be better than our room ac. My bf thinks the rooms closest to the lobby were much cooler - it felt that way when we walked by them and the doors were open. Our room was at the far end of the hotel. The bathroom did get clogged up a few times - they hotel staff was very responsive to this. The bed was a little on the hard side - and my side seemed to dip - I mentioned it to housekeeping and they were able to swap out the boxspring which made a huge difference. So the staff was always responsive. The only place to access the internet was in the lobby which was inconvenient from my point of view.

Pros - Because this is not on the best beach it is far less crowded than other sites. That was very pleasant - the swim-up bar was nice, the temperature of the pool was wonderful. We did have a fridge in our room that we used - plus a jacuzzi tub. The furniture was simple enough - and met our needs. The staff was phenomenal - they were very responsive and friendly.

Regarding the time share presentations - I know most go for the freebies - of course they are going to make the time share rooms look nicer - they want you to invest in them. The presentation should last no more than 90 minutes - at 90 minutes you can then demand your gift and they are required to give it to you without any further delay. Ousr went a little over - when I told them that I had fulfilled my end and got up to leave, then they gave me what I was due because they did not want me to poorly reflect to the other people going through there presentations. I am interested in what the time share offers are because I do believe them to be a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Grainne C

Reviewed September 13, 2009

My Significant Other and I went to the hotel as part of a time-share deal, through SunSet Vacations.

There were only a few issues to be had, and myslef working in hotels, I nitpicked like nobody's business, however, once we informed Front Desk, they were resolved in a jiffy!

As for the former guests who said that there was not Air Conditioning, they have installed A/C units, and have them running onstantly. Ours was set to a cool 15 deg C, and was a god-send, since the humidity brought the temperature up to almost 40 deg C!

Overall, the funrishings were basic in the room, as per the standard of a three star hotel.

The light switches were a bit confusing to use and locate, the water took a while to come to temperature in the shower, the tv's weren't the newest, but there are better things to do than watch TV.

We had a toilet problem, and Maintenance was over to the room, and had the problem fixed in three minutes flat, and even offered to send a house-man over to clean up the mess.

We had coupons for the spa, which I highly reccommend. Very professional and relzing setting.

The patio restaurant is nothing to write home about, but their fine dining restaurant is exquisit. As a fine dining server, there was almost nothing that was nojt done to a very high lever of service, and our server even included a shot of tequila for the two of us!

The shuttle between the sister resorts was handy, althought the schedule was a bit iffy, at once an hour, and stopped at 10pm.

The Concierge desk was helpful for the most part, although one lady got a bit snippy, when we thought she had booked our tour, but she actually hadn't, but oh well, it got booked anyways.

Yes, there is seaweed on the beach, but it's mostly a marina, and as we come from the West Coast of Canada, seaweed covered beaches are a constant and no bother to us, as well it can be expected, as it is the lagoon side, and not the ocean side.

They have come a long way from the first reviews, and are contantly fixing things up, from what we could see.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank minnion
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I would consider this a 1 star hotel. Luckily I got it as a gift for attending another sales presentation. The bed was hard, they ask that you not flush any toilet paper instead they want you to put it in the garbage (#2 and all), the food is fair or less, the water has a lot of seawood and the color is not appealing, the room was ok but do not expect a refrigerator, the staff was pleasant and the pools were ok. If you go to the "sister hotels," which you will have access to you will see the drastic difference, especially the Sunset Lagoon (beautiful beach). If you go to a time share presentation be prepared that they may keep you over the time agreed upon so watch your watch. I could only see young college students staying at this hotel looking to save mone or someone that will not be in their room much. My husband wanted to try and check into another hotel but we stuck it out and stayed.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We purchased our trip through the Sam's Club promotion and am so glad we took a chance. Here are the pros:
The lobby is now airconditioned. They have irons and ironing boards in your room and alarm clocks also. The A\C in our room worked very well. We had a lock box and a mini fridge, the lock box is free of charge and they provide you the key to it which they claim is the only key so if you lose it you have to pay $100.00 to have the box opened. The mini fridge we did not use, they charge you to use it but I'm unsure what the fee is. The rooms are very clean and spacious, no mold smell at all in ours and our king size bed was very comfortable. All rooms have a balcony with two chairs. There are 3 pools 2 of which are small, probably for children. They are clean. The people are very helpful and very curteous. I loved that you have access to the shuttle all day that can take you to their 2 sister resorts the Royal Sunset and Sunset Lagoon Golf and Marina Hotel so you get the best of all 3. Go to the Royal Sunset to enjoy the beautiful beach and pools everything is free of charge. They have a few activities in the pool during the day, we enjoyed the volleyball. Their drinks are very good. We did not get a chance to enjoy the Sunset Lagoon but I heard from a few people that it was beautiful and they have different water activities you can take advantage of for free (canoes, bicycles, etc). We didn't eat at any of their installations so I can't say if their food was good or not. You have access to free internet from their neighbor hotel Temptation in the lobby and the speed is pretty good. Overall we had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Also we purchased our tours from them and were satisfied.

Cons:

The beach is not dirty at all, they clean it every day but it does not have the beautiful turquoise color water you expect to find in Cancun but again you can take their shuttle to the Royal Sunset where the beach is perfect . They are neighbors to Temptation an adult hotel, so if you have small children or family with you do not walk on the beach behind the neighbor hotel as you will see topless women. When you arrive they will give you a plastic bracelet to identify you as a guest of the hotel, take care of it, if you lose it you have to pay a $100.00 fee to have it replaced. Yes, there are vents in the bathrooms that can be accessed from outside but we covered ours by piling things up in front of it so we didn't feel insecure in any way. People expect tips for everything so I took another reviewers advice and took $100 in $1 bills and it was more than plenty as we had over $50 left over. They do try to get you to go to their presentation but we were not obligated and very nicely declined and were very clear we did not want to think about it when they suggested we take time to do so and right away signed the waiver. After that they never bugged us about it again. The tours are really nice but probably more expensive than other places, try looking for your tour outside the hotel in downtown Cancun. The internet has to be used in the lobby, it didn't reach our bedroom so it was really inconvenient to have to go downstairs every time we needed to check our flights.

We got a super deal especially for the price we paid on our promotion.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fabygm
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I originally booked my hotel for Laguna Suites, one of the sister locations through skyauction. We arrived wednesday to find the hotel closed due to construction and apparently it's been closed for 4 months!! Thanks skyauction for the notification. Anyways we picked this hotel to transfer to and after some phone calls to confirm my reservation they set us up in room 201 with an ocean view!! We had to sit through the timeshare spiel but politely declined and we were on our way. The staff was more than happy to help us with anything from making phone calls, unclogging toilet (happened once), directions to walmart, isla mujures, etc. They do have set tours they recommend but they were also more than happy to show us how to get to isla mujures and puerto moreleos on our own by bus and ferry. They didn't push any tour packages on us since we prefer to explore on our own. They gave us very accurate directions to take by bus or van or ferry to whatever destination we needed. Even the pool staff was more than friendly always greeting us with hola and grabbing fresh towels. Plus the hotel lobby has free wifi if you bring your laptop.

I've stayed at a lot of 4 star and 5 star hotels mainly through Asia and the service from staff/conceirge/front desk here is comparable to the 4 -5 star hotels. The only downside to the hotel is lack of refrigerator. BUT they were more than happy to take our leftovers from the restaurant Thai and hold it in their refrigerator at the restaurant. The other downside is the beach, it's more of a place to dock boats and maybe water activities than it is to swim. As for the seaweed I've read from other complains, I've read the same complaints at almost all the hotels in the Hotel Zone especially the ones facing the caribbean.

Since I originally booked with the Laguna Suites I had already arranged transportation with Kinmont for roundtrip transportation. When I asked the front desk to help me with the phone call (the message machine was in spanish only!), front desk told me not to bother and arrange transportation with the hotel and through concierge, which I did for 4:30am this morning 8/30/09. When I was getting helped into the van I was asked for a ticket for the transportation. I had no idea what they were talking about and told them I arranged with concierge and they never gave me one. They spoke in spanish back and forth with the driver and eventually said it was okay and I was on my way home.

I actually prefer the location away from the main strip of shops and clubs. We're not spring breakers so none of that appealed to us. Shopping in that area was too expensive anyways. The restaurants are hit or miss. And beaches on the caribbean side was too rough with waves. If you're looking for a good beach to go to, try playa norte at Isla mujures. As for the hotel, I would definitely recommending this place. Go in with a good attitude and you'll have a good time.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

The hotel is beautiful and VERY CLEAN. It has a breath taking view of the water. It is absolutly gorgeous. The food is great and beautiful. They have such amazing creations with the food that you can't believe it is edible. The staff make you feel like family. We stayed a week and it was everything I expected and more. The manager Martinez was wonderful to us. The waiters Daniel, Juan Carlos to name a few were just great. Sarai was a greeter that really made us feel welcome. The bar tender in the front lobby even taught my son a few brain teasers with a straw. They really made it a family trip to remeber. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MELY001
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have never written a review before, but this place is so bad I am obligated to tell everyone I know.
My husband and I are seniors with age-related disabilities. Our trip began by climbing three flights of stairs - no elevator. Very difficult for us. We should have been offered a room on the first floor at least.

The first night we decided to try the restaurant for dinner. We ordered from the menu as the buffet was already closed. The waiter was nice enough, but the food took over an hour and was absolutely terrible. The food (hamburgers) were cold - not warm - really cold. The cheese on the burger had already gotten hard so it must have been sitting for almost an hour. We tried the restaurant again for the breakfast buffet. It was also cold and not much to choose from. On our final night, we decided to try the restaurant again. We both had club sandwiches, and again they were ice cold. We ordered ice tea, and I don't know what we received. It was a pale yellow and tasted like pepper! There isn't any room service either.

The toilet clogged daily and although the staff responded quickly to plunge it, but expected a tip every time! Geez, c'mon, why would we tip to unclog the toilet!

The concierges are only knowledgeable about the tours they offer and do not offer any other advice about restaurants, the bus, or services in general. For example, the hotel does not have Internet services, which we needed to check in for our return flight. One concierge told us there was an Internet Cafe across the street where the cost was minimal. After trekking across the street and searching everywhere and finally asking someone, the Internet Cafe did not exist. On our own, we found a convenience store RIGHT NEXT DOOR that had Internet service. Why didn't the staff know that? Additionally, they recommended tours that were not age appropriate for us. For example, they did not explain that Escaret was really for young adults and kids. We were not able to get our money's worth here as some of the activities cautioned not to be used by persons with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. We should have been told that. We learned there were other tour activites, like the Cancun Queen, that would have been more appropriate for us, but the concierges did not offer this.

We attended the timeshare presentation which started out at $100K, then $59K, then 21K etc. We ended up with an AARP cost of $1,900. They kept shifting us to yet another salesperson for three hours! We did this to get a reduction on tours, but it ended up they gave us 30% off one tour, which we found later to be a scam. The same price was being offered at another tour company!

The room smelled of mold, the beds uncomfortable, the pillows flat, no coffeemaker, no fridge, the light leaked water from the A/C and the A/C did not work effectively.

Four days into our trip, I got a sore throat. I got sicker each day. When we flew home, the pressure perforated my eardrum. I went to the doctor and I have a bacterial infection and now I am on heavy antibiotics. I assume the infection is from the mold in the AC.

The beach is a joke. The seaweed is terrible and I would never swim in the water. They do try to keep the beach clean, but it is impossible to keep up. I noticed that the hotel staff previously responded to a review stating it was located on hotel row. It's not. It is at the end of the strip, a $10 taxi ride to the action. There is only one restaurant across the street which is very good, but expensive. And there is virtually no other place to walk to.

STAY IN ANOTHER HOTEL!!!!

2  Thank myhonestreview
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

Dear Guest thank you for your review this site gives us the opportunity to improve our services and constantly receive feedback. In reference to these guests comments we would like to address the fact that there is an elevator in the lobby however not every room can be accessed by it. During our reservation process we ask guests to let us know about any special needs, a special request can be placed for guests who prefer the first floor.

In reference to the a la carte restaurant we appreciate all of the comments however it is important to mention that any orders placed are cooked at that time to avoid cold food. The hotel has received great reviews in reference to their a la carte menu and the Hamburgers in particular have been rated as one of the best hamburgers in Cancun. We sincerely regret the bathroom situation and apologize for any inconvenience; a tip is definitely not a requirement for this and will be addressed with the staff.

Our personal concierges are constantly trained in reference to the tours and activities available in Cancun. The attraction that is above mentioned by our guests has many activities for seniors and people of all ages it is by no means a bad recommendation. The prices of tours and activities range in Cancun and better prices can be found at local tour providers; however they may not meet the quality of a tour that can be recommended by a hotel.

The Ocean Spa hotel is found on the main strip of Cancun’s famous Hotel Zone and very close to all of the attractions. The hotel lobby has wireless internet for guest to use. We regret any inconvenience this guest may have come across and hope to have another opportunity to meet their requirements. The Ocean Spa Hotel is recommended for its great value, location and friendly staff.