“Amazing Staff!!”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #52 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Spa for a week. Every day we were greeted with a new Towel Animal" by the friendly and kind Denisse. She was always asking if everything was alright and if our stay was pleasant. She is even titled as a "Bed Artist" and we found her "elephant" and "Penguin" and "Two Swans" to be a fun surprise every day. The room was always clean and we even had a jacuzzi tub that overlooked the ocean. Very nice room and was very clean and frsh every day!! Thanks Denisse!!

Room Tip: Our room didn't have a balcony but we preferred this as there were quite a few mosquito pests fl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest:
We are very pleased to read of the good service you received throughout your stay and we are glad you loved the towel animals that Denisse surprised you with every day. We will share your kind compliments with her.
We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Bed was comfortable. Not all rooms have balconies. For travelers ages 40+ and older, the music on the beach during the day was too loud. The pool is nice. The beach setting is actually quite nice and tranquil when you realize that the hotel is on the ocean, but the waves there are gentle and more like those found in a lagoon or a bay. Nice for swimming and kayaking and early morning walks on the beach. (The Isla Mujeras island - 3 miles away- protects this beach from open ocean waves.) You can take the shuttle to other chain hotels to experience the true, aquamarine ocean waves. Food was good and consistent. Wait Staff is attentive and nice if you tip them. Information about excursions didn't have enough details.
With timeshare presentations, you will spend at least 4+ hours with at least 5 high pressure sales people who do not want to take 'NO' for an answer. They take you to a room where you feel like a hostage and they are not nice!! It is a waste of time if you don't want to buy one.

1  Thank M Y
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review.
Your feedback has been a valuable tool that our team members are using to address these concerns and improve our processes for our future guests.
We are delighted that you visited sister properties and enjoyed the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Whilst most of the staff were friendly and helpful, there were a number of staff who favoured the spanish speaking guests and were ignorant of the english customers ...... This came to a head in the italian resturant when we were served water and a glass of wine when we entered and then ignored for over half an hour whilst the rest of the customers (all spanish speaking) were served bread and then food , even though there was only one table in use when we entered. As the resturant filled up with other customers, there were all served straight away with wine, bread and then their food ....... The management tried to apologise and make up for this , but the rest of the holiday was no better and we didn't look forward to going to the buffet and meal times in general. The hotel is advertised as a Spa and we were looking forward to a relaxing time, but the music pumped on to the beach was too loud and not relaxing , although the actual Spa was nice and quiet. We were very disappointed the the holiday and will not be going back. This could have been a perfect holiday but was ruined by certain members of staff

1  Thank MrBlackie

Dear Guest:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Our Mexican hospitality, service and our Staff’s willingness to go above and beyond has been a constant subject with the TripAdvisor community.
What you report is most definitely not our policy for the way in which we treat our guests and hope you will accept our most sincere apologies if any member of our staff came across that way. We assure you that the problem has been investigated thoroughly and corrected. It is not our policy to differentiate any of our guests based on any criteria whatsoever.
I assure you we are working diligently to prevent anything like this from happening again in the future.
We hope you will give us a second chance to provide you with a vacation experience such as the ones we have become known for.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Based on reviews I read on this site I was pleasantly surprised! Glad I did not choose a more expensive location! Really great staff; great room; great food choices! REALLY POOR BEACH! U can use the beaches at the other hotels in the chain as part of the all inclusive! There is a shuttle bus between the hotels every hour.

• Stayed: August 2013
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation! Although we strive to deliver an unforgettable vacation experience, it is unfortunate that you were not able to fully enjoy the beach at the hotel but we are happy that you had a good time in sister hotels beaches.
We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again on your next vacation in Cancun.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

When we first arrived at the Ocean Spa Hotel we thought disgruntled guests or competitors wrote all of the negative reviews. But the validity in the complaints quickly became apparent. We arrived at the OSH around 12:30pm and were greeted by Omar the bellboy and were told that our room would not be ready until 3pm. He took our bags to a holding area and when my girlfriend told him she had one more bag, he said as long as it does not have anything of value in it like a laptop or camera. Immediately my antennas went up and I requested that my carry on bag with my MacBook Pro be returned. Sandra then approached us from the Concierge desk and her mission was to get us signed up for the timeshare presentation that should only take two hours. We opted for the presentation to be the next day at 8:30am. I requested to change dollars to pesos but the front desk did not have change 3 out of the 5 days we were there. Our room was made available around 1:30pm. In the room Omar showed us how to use the safe but as soon as he left the safe would not work and the maintenance man could not fix it, so they gave us a skeleton key when I refused not to have a working safe. The timeshare presentation the next day took about 4 hours and we were made to feel like hostages. The sales people get angry when their offers are rejected Every time I rejected an offer they would send a more aggressive person to push another offer, needless to say my no; remained that way. It seemed that everyone in this hotel / residential chain was angling for a tip (propinas). The time-share presenters even direct you to tip bartenders and waiters even though tips are supposed to be included. The food was bland and recycled (the same steak and pork each day with different sauces on it). On the last day of our stay my girlfriend's prescription glasses were missing and after calling security and the police; the glasses were found in the towels 2 hours later. Around check out time I noticed my sunglasses were missing and security advised they were checking on it but I have not heard from them since. Do not become a victim of this hotel.

4  Thank Askandyouget

Dear Guest:
We sincerely appreciate and value your feedback. We regret to hear we failed to provide you with a vacation experience which reflects our commitment to quality and service.
Our Mexican hospitality and our Staff’s willingness to go above and beyond has been a constant subject with the trip advisor community. What you report is most definitely not our policy for the way in which we treat our guest’s and hope you will accept our most sincere apologies.
Please know that we pay particular attention to our guest feedback in order to constantly improve our service. We appreciate you using Trip Advisor as a tool and we certainly hope to welcome you back in the future for an opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

After reading some reviews on Trip Advisor, I was really not looking forward to taking my vacation at Ocean Spa, and had decided to lower my expectations since I could not cancel nor get a refund anymore (I literally lost sleep after reading a few bad reviews). I had dreaded the mandatory presentation but honestly, it was not that bad. It did take 4 hours (including breakfast and trip to the other resorts), and the agent was a bit rude to my brother and even tried to excuse him from the final presentation because he was afraid he might persuade us to say no, so my brother had a chat with the manager and he promptly reprimanded his sales guy. They even kept apologizing that the presentation took so long, and a developer representative asked for our feedback (presentation, agent, etc.) at the end. They even offered us a very good deal if we decided to go back. They were all polite (with the exception of the sales agent) and I honestly did not feel pressured to sign at all. But then again, I'm not the type of person who gets intimidated by sales agents. They can squirm, harass or beg and I still could say no without skipping a beat.

For the all inclusive price of $300, I really can't complain much. The buffet was just passable, but they have 3 restaurants that required a dinner reservation where the food was much better (they were only open for dinner and we had always reserved in the morning of the same day and were promptly accommodated). Furthermore, we also dined for free at the other 3 resorts so we really had a lot of food choices.

As for the beach, it wasn't spectacular. It smelled fishy but to be fair, I always saw someone removing the weeds every morning. Guests have free access to all 4 resorts so we always went to the Sunset Royal where the beach is way better (free shuttle arrived every 30 minutes to an hour, or free boat ride). We even got to witness sea turtles hatching. We also did optional activities like parasailing ($50) and scuba diving($90).

We found all the staff polite - pre and post presentation. The only behavioural change I noticed was with the concierge named Bruno who had been so eager to assist before the presentation. But after the presentation, although he was not rude, you could still easily sense that he wasn't as eager or interested to talk to us afterwards. But the rest, especially the waiters, were great. No one harassed us for tips, but we gladly left some and it was refreshing to see someone's face lit up for tips that were only a fraction of the customary 15% in Canada.

Would I go back? Absolutely (for the same price or lower sans presentation). But if I could, I would rather just stay at two of their other resorts (Sunset Royal or the Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club) instead for a few more dollars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your detailed review. We are very glad you decided to give us the opportunity to welcome you at the Ocean Spa Hotel.
Firstly, we would like to apologize for your experience with the sales person; and we are glad the issue was dealt with in an efficient and professional manner. Aside from this, it seems you had a great vacation over all.
Thank you again for your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Expect a 3 star hotel. That is what this is. If you go in with this expectation, you will be satisfied. Do not go to this hotel planning to stay on the resort for the day, unless you plan to sleep in your room. The pool is fine for cooling off quickly, but not for hanging out. The pool bar catches the worst of the afternoon sun directly, and it is difficult to see into the bar from the very low bar stools. The entire pool is about neck-height, and there is not a place to put your elbows and relax on the side, nor any stairs to hang out near in the pool. The rocky surround of the pool makes walking difficult, and you need to climb up and down an awkward metal ladder to get in and out. The ocean front "beach" gets no waves due to the proximity of Isla Mujeres, and it is constantly full of seaweed. There is a water trampoline to jump on, but it is in shallow water so you won't want to jump off of it. The staff at the water sports were mixed in terms of helpfulness.
The rooms were clean, though there was a distinct sewage smell coming from outside; not sure why. One major complaint was the lack of bottled water in the rooms, and the fact that there are no signs advising that the tap water is unsafe. I called the front desk to ask about the water, and they informed me it was not drinkable. The only way to get water is to go to the bar or restaurant and get some, they won't bring it to your room. Thank goodness we were all inclusive, or we would have gone over budget on bottled water alone!! This is a safety and health issue and should be addressed.
There is no refrigerator in the room, so keeping drinks and water cold is impossible. It would be nice to go back to the room for a drink at night, but you'd have to go to the bar and walk back to get it, and that's a hike. There are no lights around the pool at night, so that would be treacherous.
The restaurants were varied. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was sparse in terms of options. There was not a lot of fresh fruit, and the pancakes and waffles were cold and rubbery. However, the dinners at the Mexican restaurant and Italian restaurant were both worthwhile. I would recommend the Mexican restaurant, and say "stay away" from the "Asian" restaurant.
This hotel is not near the "strip" but there is a very nice jogging trail all through the hotel zone, and you can walk (about 5K) to the shopping areas or take the bus for just about a dollar US.
All in all, it was not the 5 star hotel experience we are used to, but the staff was not pushy about attending the time share presentation (we didn't, we were there using our Interval International time share week already). We did tip, per other reviewers recommendations, even though we have never had to do that at other all-inclusives, and maybe that helped smooth things. I would recommend if you plan to do day trips in the Cancun area and don't expect a hotel resort that you can stay and play at all day.

Room Tip: Request a balcony. If you pick an upper level room, keep in mind that there are no elevators!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Teresa G

Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
Please know that we value the opinions and comfort of every guest. We seek to create the most positive and unforgettable resort experience possible. When shortfalls occur, we work hard to remedy them in a timely manner.
There is no better way for us to improve than through the communication with our guests, and we truly appreciate your observations.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.