“Nice people, nasty sales crew”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #61 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Kernville, CA
“Nice people, nasty sales crew”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is due for a makeover, which we are told it will get soon. The staff was uniformly polite, helpful and friendly, the food quite good, location good, beach only fair. Our concierge, Esteban, did a great job of booking tours and activities at deep discounts, and was sensitive to our desires.
Now the bad news: Our concierge politely talked us into a "tour" of other hotels in this chain (Sunset Group) and a "brief sales presentation," with assurances it would be pleasant, despite our repeatedly saying we had no intention of buying. OK, granted, we caved in and no one forced us. Huge mistake. Our initial sales person, Bruno, was a gentleman. Unfortunately we asked a question he couldn't answer, he called his "manager" over (no name tag) and, from then on, we were verbally abused and harassed to a degree we have never before experienced from any sales person anywhere. The manager (and a second "manager" following him) leaned over the table multiple times to within inches of our faces and essentially accused of being liars, stupid, stubborn and ungrateful. When we tried to leave we were told we had to wait to be escorted out of the sales area - This suggestion coming from a roughly 6 foot 4, 240 pound beefcake who looked like he might be Nuestra Familia.
We were also accosted by a Hertz employee who claimed to work part-time for our timeshare exchange provider, and swarms of street vendors. Once out of the "hotel zone" though, people were uniformly friendly and straight-forward
If you go to Cancun, DO NOT agree to any sales presentation, or accept "deals" on tours or activities from street vendors and booths. Book through your hotel, stiff-arm the myriad hucsters, and you will enjoy this beautiful area.

Room Tip: upstairs, east end beach facing rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bobsacerdo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I don't generally write reviews for things like this, and all too often you only see the bad reviews for companies and the companis that deserve a good review don't get them. People don't tend to take time to write nice things, usually just to complain. I must say my friend and I had a FABULOUS time at Ocean Spa. Benny the activity director/lead was wonderful and kept us informed of activities throughout the day. We participated in morning Yoga with Gizelle outside the resort and sand volleyball. They also had beach bingo, kayaking, dance lessons, pilates, fire/bongo show, etc. I thought the food was great and we were able to access two other resorts for food/drink as well. They also took time to tell us about the different clubs and wait for us in the lobby to go out as a group. Alexander/Gizzelle/Benny/All of the Ocean Spa staff were fun, funny, happy, always smiling, and just wonderful to be around. Thank you so much for our great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cece N
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The inside of the hotel was incredibly clean. The cleaning service people took their job seriously. I admit I left my room a wreck one morning in a hurry to catch a tour. I returned just as 2 cleaning personnel were smiling at their efforts. My applause to you too Angelica! In the bar and restaurant area a few of the were incredibly nice to me. Captain Filberto, and Donacio. They were incredibly concerned they were providing top notch service. The front desk and Conceirge service were not incredibly helpful or friendly though. However the Bellboys made up for it in terms of assistance. Especially Aldolpho during the day and Ignacio at night. These people I named knew I was traveling alone and helped me feel not just welcome in the hotel but in their country. If you don't mind not being right in the center of the hotel zone I recommend a visit to Ocean Spa. If you need all the frills and amenities, prefer paying much more, choose something else.

Cheryl, Simpsonville, SC United States

• Stayed March 2013
Roy, Utah
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was worried after reading the reviews and although we must have had the worst room in the place our vacation was great! The rooms were 3 star however the staff was 5 star. The room was basically a clean room with a bed we were in room 226 and there was no view we kept the curtains closed most of the time. We did go to the timeshare presentation however we were firm in our no and it was pretty painless.

I was worried that they we would target us after we said no, but I really don’t think the rest of the staff knows or cares. We also never really saw the timeshare staff after that. We made reservations through the hotel for Chichen-Itza and a dinner Cruise, they never let us down.

I saw some people comment on the beach, we loved it. It was small, cleaned and raked every morning. The furniture was comfortable and not over crowded we had a blast, it was perfect for a thirty-something couple that doesn’t want a spring break crowd but still likes to party. If you needed a better view it was an easy walk to the nude beach next door. If your taking your kids it the nude beach was out of sight.

When I started reading about this resort I remember thinking “how good can the staff be?” Then I met them and they are incredible and lived up to every review! Raul and Victor on the beach were incredible. The Pizza guy was awesome when I ran in as he was cleaning up and still made me a pizza (even though I didn’t buy timeshare). The shuttle driver didn’t make us wait and took us back to ocean spa when we screwed up the times. The waiter at the buffet I wish I could remember his name, he was our “Cancun Angel”. We had a blast with the DJ on the beach who named my husband Tarzan #3. We even loved our timeshare guy Daniele.

Don’t let the reviews scare you, if you’re a fun person out for a good time that’s what you will find at Ocean Spa.

Room Tip: 226 stay away! The view sucks nothing can make it better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CantoinetteUT
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed at Ocean Spa for 5 days and I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.
This vacation was part of their promotional package to participate in their promotion of properties they want you to buy.... Make sure you know all of the hidden cost associated with your stay.... For example, the standard room quality is very poor and you will need to up-great to receive better quality room in order to enjoy your vacation. Also, despite all of the restaurants they claim only one is open for breakfast and lunch. For diner you have two that are open at the same time. You may receive greater value somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you are very clear on the type of room you want. Select 3rd floor rooms instead of first f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Abbie K
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Well i must say that I was a little worried about going to Ocean Spa in Cancun after reading some not-so-good reviews and of course the scary timeshare guys. This proved to be unwarranted as Ocean Spa turned out to be one the best places that we have stayed. What made this one of the best places was definitely the staff. The minute that we arrived Juan 1, and Juan 2 (Rodolfo) the bellboys took care of our luggage with huge smiles and a warm welcome. Leif the concierge provided us with a couple of welcome cocktails and took us over to a quiet place and methodically explained the hotel and what was included and so on. This has never been done at any hotel that we've stayed at, and was a welcome change. Carlos at the front desk managed to find us room 205 which was a newly renovated room with a fridge and coffee maker and a balcony facing the ocean for morning coffee. The only downside to the room was the ventilation fans from the restaurant. These could only be heard from the balcony, and soon turned into a dull background drone after a few minutes. Leonardo welcomed us to the restaurant soon after our arrival, and took outstanding care of us for the whole stay. His exceptional service along with Kendor, on the day shift, made meal times truly enjoyable. The food good, but not outstanding, and the buffet selection was considerably smaller than many of the other hotels that we've been to, but this is a smaller hotel, so I guess that makes sense. The brick oven Pizza is very good. Leonardo recommended the Mexican pizza, and now I do too. Ask for some pepperoni, mushrooms and green peppers to be added to turn it into a really great pizza! The beach was really quite nice. The sand is nice and white, and there are Palapas and padded beach furniture to use. No problem finding a place to sit. Raul the server from the beach bar never let your drink get empty and Bartolo eagerly poured you a cold one on the way by the beach bar.The water is shallow, and the bottom a little muddy in some areas with a few pebbles at the water's edge. The beach and ocean are to die for at the sister hotel the Royal Sunset which is a short free shuttle bus ride away. In fact we've never bothered to visit sister hotels before, but we really enjoyed doing this this time. The pool at Ocean Spa is OK, but nothing fancy, and they really should put in some steps because there are only ladders right now.We did do the timeshare presentation with Mark, who was a really nice guy who showed us the two other sister hotels, taking us for breakfast at the Sunset Marina and introducing us to green juice which was rather refreshing. After touring the hotels, we returned to the Ocean Spa, where the deals were explained. Yes they try and sell you stuff, but that's their job. They were never rude and we had an OK time dealing with Mark and his gang. All in all a great trip albeit too short. Whoever picks the people to work here should be commended as they have done a great job assembling some outstanding, service oriented people to deal with the guests. Oh, I almost forgot to mention Danny at the lobby bar with his great service and infectious smile.

Room Tip: Room 205 had everything that we needed with a limited ocean view. Excellent inside, but a little noi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gary K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed there for 4 nights and 5 days (2/23/13-2/27/13) and we had an amazing time! At first I was concerned it would be a family resort, as my husband and I are young and like to have fun and party! Our hotel room was perfect for us facing the ocean. The pool was clean with a bar and beach was relaxing (nothing too extraordinary). Being able to take the shuttle for free to the other sisterly resorts were a major plus! The party/event planner Benny is the person to talk to if you want excitement in your trip! Bernice at the concierge was very accommodating and helped us have a great Isla Mujeres trip. My favorite was the bartender in the lobby named Dany! He definitely took care of everyone at the front bar. The only thing I would say stay away from is taking the Timeshare tour unless you really know you are going to buy! Otherwise, this hotel is definitely recommended to stay at!

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the front is exclusive!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carrie K
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your kind review. We sincerely appreciate you acknowledging our team as it is with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed your expectations.
We are also pleased you liked the location which is certainly very convenient to travel in and around Cancun, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy sister property.
We hope to welcome you back soon to experience another memorable vacation.