“Very Basic wish I'd stayed somewhere else.”

Cancun Marina Club Hotel
and 1 more site!
Cancun Marina Club Hotel
Ranked #118 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“Very Basic wish I'd stayed somewhere else.”
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Our room was small with old style furniture, and we had a problem with ants which room service arranged a spray of some sort to get rid of them. I have to say they did not come back. The staff were friendly but the hotel is small and has limited attractions. The best thing we did was on the last day of our holiday was to hire a car and visit Tulum. I found Cancun OK but I became tired of stall holders and shopkeers hassling me to see there goods, often quite aggresively. One guy even wanted a tip or a dollar for a coke after I had bought a bag. The Hotel is OK but I would stay at an all inclusive as prices in Cancun are not as cheap as USA and the hotel room air conditioning was poor. The pool area is peaceful but several of the plastic loungers had seen better days and would not prop upright. The staff were the best part of the hotel but facilities were needing upgraded.

• Stayed May 2001

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed April 16, 2005

This has to be the worst hotel in Cancun. I was expecting at worst a common 39 dollar a night U.S. type hotel. That would have great compared to this hotel. First off there was no air conditioning in either one of our rooms(we were moved from our first room for no apparent reason). Secondly the bath had a sewage leak and smelled so bad that it was unbearable. The toilet wouldn't flush and we had no water pressure or hot water for the showers. The towels were not replaced in the rooms and you had to go on a scavenger hunt to find one. We had no T.V. in our room but that was the least of our concerns. The phone didn't work as well. All the bed sheets and towels were stained also. The rooms weren't cleaned everyday and when they were you had to worry about someone stealing something. My friend had money stolen and a CD player. One day 11 people were in my room and when i walked in they happened to finish whatever it was they were doing. The door didn't shut right and the peep hole was made by drilling a hole through the door. The dont have card keys you'll be using a regular key. And note the a that's singular because you only get one room key. The beds were hard as a brick and they weren't really beds they were just mattresses stacked on the floor. The employees weren't that bad except for one and she happened to be the manager. On top of all that the location is terrible. Everything i have said here is truthful and not an exxageration. Don't let the pictures on the intrnet fool you either. The ones of the rooms are not accurate and the hotel isn't even the same color in the front. Don't be cheap and try and save an extra buck, it's not worth it. I still had fun in Cancun but this hotel was the difference between a good trip and a great one.

• Stayed March 2005
Reviewed March 18, 2005

I don't know where to begin. I arrived in cancun with a group of 13. Five of us were to stay here at the Canaun Marina Club, and the other eight stayed at a different hotel a half hour walk away. The four plus myself that were to stay here arrived to be shocked at the room we were to reside in for the week. The room itself had only two twin size beds to accomadate five of us. The beds also had unclean sheets made up on them. The towels were stained and you had to ask for clean towels everyday due to a lack of maid service to the rooms. The floor was dirty with grime and whatever else, you couldn't walk around without flip flops on. The cieling and walls were falling down around the place and the entire room had a damp feeling of a basement. Of course that might be because it was in the basement. In the bathroom we found there to be no shower curtain and we brought this to the attention of the front desk. We finally got a shower curtain after being there four days. Whenever someone would flush the toilet it would run until you fixed the "flipper" inside the toilet. We also told the front desk about this, and nothing was done. This is the type of customer service you will get at this hotel. The staff is rude and obnoxious and this includes the manager. Luckily for the five of us there was the other hotel down the street where the rest of our group was staying. None of us even stayed one night here at the cancun marina club due to the horrible living conditions. When you arrive you have to give a deposit of $50 U.S dollars per person staying in the room. Four of us gave our deposit in $50 U.S dollars and one of us $60 U.S dollars totaling $260 U.S dollars. We were told we would get the deposit back at the end of our stay. Our stay came to an end and we went to check out at 5am and were waiting for the deposit. We were told that the manager was the only one who had a key to the deposit box and he was running late and would be there in ten minutes. Keep in mind that he was supposed to be in at 5am specifically for check outs. We waited for forty-five minutes for the manager and he still had not arrived. Our shuttle had to leave for the airport, so in order to make our flight home we had to leave empty handed of our deposit. Due to us not getting our deposit back this hotel not only steels from within the room it self but right from your own hands when you arrive. My recommendation to spring breakers and anyone else is to stay anywhwere else but her at Cancun Marina Club. If I were you I would stay at Ocean Club where the five of us ended up every night.

• Stayed March 2005
Reviewed March 3, 2005

I'm sorry, but this is a horrible place. The guy accusing people of exaggerating makes me angry, because I have experienced exactly what others have experienced. My friends and I stayed here and had the worst vacation of our lives. Where should I begin. First, all we had was a single, thin, dirty sheet for bedding, nothing else. Second, our shower did not work unless you call a slow dribble of water coming out working. Third, my friend had all of his money stolen. To get to his money the hotel staff went through all of his wrapped up socks to find his key. Next they found his hidden bag and unlocked it. THen they unlocked another bag within that bag to get to it. On the day we left the hotel manager admited they had my friend's money and gave it to him. Fourth, the AC in the hotel soaked everything in the rooms. You could not leave anything on the floor if you didn't want it to get wet. Fifth, one of our rooms filled up with 2 inches of water from a pipe that broke. Through it all the manager was rude again and again.

If you want to have any peace of mind while you are in Cancun, do not stay at the Cancun Marina Club.

• Stayed March 2004
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed January 10, 2005

Me and four of my girlfriends decided to go to Cancun for our high school senior spring break! We all saved up money and planned our trip in advance to insure we experienced mexico to its fullest! And let me tell you...we did! A week before leaving for our exciting vacation, we read the reviews on this exact sight...then expecting the worst we decided to suck it up and still stay at the cancun marina club.

To make a long long long story short....the hotel was a piece of crap! I cried when we arrived for the room looked like a damp basement...but being 18 year old girls we decided a nice night of drinking would put us in a better mood. Well when we woke up the next morning with 5 girls squeezed into two full sized beds, looked out the patio from our window which had broken blinds so we had no privacy EVER, we decided to leave once again....which we tried to do often due to the dump we were living in for the week. Overall the bathroom looked like it belonged in a 3rd world country, the toliet was broke for days on end along with the shower which we had to stnad on a plastic chair from the poolside so we didnt touch anything. The tv was broke, only a phone in the room worked, no clock, no anything!! Wake up with nasty whale sized bugs, towels with dirty stains that look like they were from goodwill, etc... I could go on!

Don't let a maid clean your room...we fould the manager in our room one night and our money gone...don't worry though the workers at the front desk could give a damn and won't aknowledge your problems!

But we did love the bar there, the servers were great and lots of fun! STAY AWAY FROM THE FRONT DESK! ~The workers are MEAN!

Overall Cancun was the best week of my life...make the best of what you have and you'll be happy!

Reviewed December 13, 2004

A group of myself and five of my friends decided to stay at this place because it was A) affordable, and B) the only place that seemed to offer 5 person rooms, an odd number at best to be sure. Oh how wrong we were. The room had, understandably, tile floors and one incredibly claustrophobic bathroom. Said bathroom had a toilet that clogged at least twice a day (pretty much anytime somebody used it for that sort've activity, you know, the one that you'll do plenty of times if you go to Mexico) leaving us to be forced to use the public lobby bathroom which was one of the grossest things I've ever seen. Leaks, dirt, that bathroom had it all. On top of that we had no hot water for half of our 6 nights in Cancun, and even then it would go cold in about five minutes of use after being "fixed". The room felt pretty insescure too, with just a rickity wood door that had trouble shutting and the lobby seemed like an open doorway so far as people wanting to get in. I kept expecting to wake up with someone trying to rob us in the room.

To stay on the topic of how sad this room was, having been promised a suite that could hold five people comfortably (expecting two doubles, perhaps, and a cot), we instead got a room that had one extended bed (meant to hold three people, awkwardly at best) and two cots. One of the cots was a legit bed, which meant that alongwith that it had a broken leg. Meaning that the lucky camper who had to sleep on that bed (me) was forced to sleep at a diagnal incline on a bed that rocked back and forth anytime you moved like a High School desk that is missing part of one of its legs. Neverminding how uncomfortable three people in one bed is for sleeping (who wants to be the guy in the middle?), the last bed was hardly even a bed. No, instead, it was a mattress with white sheets tossed onto the floor by the wall. So that makes a three person mess of a bed, a mattress on the floor, and a bed that is doing its best impression of a rocking chair.

On top of this the hotel only gets 2 or 3 television stations (friends of ours stayed at Oasis and had the usual 20-25 hotels get) and there is virtually no where to sunbathe on the hotel proper. Instead, you need to go across the street to the public beach, which is relatively dirty and full of the locals trying to sell you things. Hardly relaxing.

But once you escape the Marina Club, Cancun is great. There are tons of great restuarants (except THE SHRIMP BUCKET, where they will rip you off and none of the workers know any English), and there are lots of great clubs and bars. The mall was surprisingly nice too, and contrary to a lot of what I heard, the open markets were a lot of fun so long as you kept a keen eye open for getting swindled (don't pay $20 for a T-Shirt you can buy across the street for $6).

Next time I'll shell out the extra money for an all-inclusive.

Reviewed November 28, 2004

Okay, so it was 1999 (5 years ago), but we have nothing but fond memories of the Cancun Marina Club and largely it was all down to one person - Carlos the pool bar manager. The hotel was basic, but the staff were very helpful and polite and cleaned our rooms everyday with pleasure. Don't remember much about the pool, as we seemed to have the man-made beach to ourselves (2 friends were with us). No matter where we went each night, we always hurried back to Carlos' bar and sat there each night with him playing our personalised compilation tapes & cds and listening to his fascinating life stories - most of which seemed genuine. The best of it was that it was mostly just the 5 of us and we liked it that way, although on some occasions our wee group would get bigger and more fun. Amazingly, we had a crocodile swim right up to us, flash his beady eyes and swim off again - he returned later for another quick look for food - it was fab! Carlos said it was the first he had seen in 10 years of working there. Being a little away from the hustle and bustle was good and just an easy, cheap, short bus journey away. Food at Marina Club was ok, but we ate out most nights. Carlos & Charlies is just next door and it was great watching all the loonies take part in the "sporting" activity which included their legs skimming in the lagoon (where our friendly croc was). Anyway, on our last day we gave Carlos some parting gifts as he did us and hugged and kissed him like an old friend. He was one in a million and we always think of him - especially when particular songs are played. Carlos Jiminez, wherever you are friend - you are one of the good guys. My husband, Garry even worte a song about you and it's bloody good. Carlos made this place worthwhile. Sharon, Garry, Clare & Martin