“Serice was EXCELLENT.......”

Ranked #55 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Roanoke, Virginia
“Serice was EXCELLENT.......”
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Going off of what other reviews had to say......
Yes, the resort is out of the way and away from the "Hotel Zone". Do not be alarmed by the neighborhood as you drive to the resort. We didn't have the first problem. We drove in at night and I was quite alarmed at the scenery. The next day, we ventured out and were fine. It looks very rough, but one has to remember that you are in a third world country!

Other reviews ramble on about poor service....I don't know what resort they were at but it wasn't the Sea Adventure. It may have had something to do with the fact that we actually tipped the wait staff and bartenders which we noticed alot of other people were NOT doing. Just beccause its an all inclusive doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. Trust me, tips go a long way in Mexico. Christian, Daniel and Isly went out of their way to make our meals a pleasureable event. Orlando is a great bartender. Ivan and Dario (and the rest of the activities staff) made the dinner shows a blast. 10 out of 10 on the service.

Rooms were slightly older, but they were better than most American hotels. No cleanliness issues at all. Other reviews complained about paying for the use of the in room safe.....we had 4 rooms and all used our safes....no charges. Water park was great for the kids. We sat poolside and drank and ate lunch. Tons of activities for the kids at the water park.

The beach did have alot of seawead on it but they raked it every moning. Water was crystal clear around the resort. Activities staff was always around the beach starting soccer matches, volleyball games, lending out Kayaks and Hobie Cat sailboats. My only recommendation for beach activities would be to have snorkeling equipment available for the guests use.

Pool does close fairly early but you cant have everything. I would suggest that if you want on of the chaise lounges on the pool deck, go out early and lay a towel to claim it. Even in January, the deck filled up rather quickly. Pool isnt huge, but it was adequete.

Food was very Americanized. Not much Mexican food available. Always a wide variety to choose from. Great for kids cause there was always spaghetti, burgers, hot dogs and french fries available. Outdoor snack bar was open practically all night. Frequently had fresh fried grouper available.....I ate alot of that. Each night was a different theme so to speak. Found it hard to distinguish Italian night from Meditereanian night or Mexican night. But there was always different items on the dinner buffet. I would rate the food as 7 out of 10.

I read reports about watered down and small drinks. Outside they do serve EVERYTHING in 9oz plastic cups around the pools and water park for safety reasons. IT WAS ALL INCLUSIVE....your not paying full price for small drinks.....just drink more small drinks. I can personally say that the drinks were NOT weak or watered down....but again, we were doing something that most people weren't....TIPPING! 50 pesos (approx $5 US) goes a long way. I coulnd't empty a glass! I would get halfway trough and my drink would get refilled. Suggestion....ask for a BOB Marley!

The price of this resort is very low compared to some others but it was well worth the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Polish first
chicago
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I was scared beyond belief driving just to get to this hotel through the streets of the city. After passing several very visible police armed with machine guns just down the street.
The taxi pulled up to the hotel and I was instantly disappointed. The hotel looks like a rundown 2 story hotel. So NOT the typical cancun high rise resort. We checked in quickly and efficiently and the doorman dragged our bags up 4 flights of stairs to our room. This would be 1 of 2 highlights of the entire trip. I had read the reviews and was nervous about our vacation but tried to focus on the positive ones. The negative ones would prove to be indeed true.

Everything people wrote about the rooms are correct. The water never got hot for the shower. The rooms smelled musty. There was a sewage smell that came up from the drain in the bathroom when you turned on the fan/light, and the neighbors would party till 5am.

I really didn't drink a lot because all of the liquor was terrible. The first night I had margaritas but woke up with a horrible hang over from just plain cheap alcohol. The mixers were even worse. I stuck to water.....WATER, at an all inclusive resort....sigh...

The food was really awful. The meat and cheese quality was the lowest I have ever eaten from a hotel or restaurant in my life. After making that mistake I tried to stick with salads and fruit. The only problem was the lettuce always smelled like it was washed in sewer water and they only had 1 salad dressing so I resorted to just putting there salsa on the salad. At least the onion from the salsa covered up the awful lettuce smell.

The resort itself was really rundown. Not a place you would want to take someone if you wanted to impress them this is for sure. Now the beach and marina was beautiful. The problems out there was they have a bee infestation. Since I wasn't drinking any sugary drinks, because they sucked, they didn't bother me as much but the people drinking margaritas and daiquiris where constantly swatting away. The other negative was the beach chairs were SO uncomfortable. Like, chairs that needed to be replaced 5 years ago. The only thing that supports you in them is the metal bar going across you back and your bum nearly sags to the ground. Kinda like a hammock with a metal bar in the middle.

The water park was interesting. You could always count on two things there. The water was always ice cold and every other person coming down the water slide got hurt. I mean blood gushing and painful head banging.......I gotta lay down on the concrete for a second hurt!!
I honestly could not believe these people allow guests to continue to get themselves hurt day after day and not do anything about the problem on the slide. That to me really showed the character or lack of from this staff.

The second highlight of my trip was Wendy at the kids club. She was such a sweat heart and really did care about her job and the children. The other girl, Karla, did as little as possible and truly was the laziest person I have ever seen at a resort. She clearly has no desire to be there.

The shows were all really corny. I did enjoy the Michael Jackson show the most because I love his music and the guy did do a great job dancing.

I will NEVER come back to this resort ever again. I was so upset I gave my money to people who clearly don't care about service or quality.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I was completely embarrassed by the Sea Adventure Resort & Waterpark when I tired to check out of the hotel. We prepaid our room 11 months ago and had a voucher from our booking agent showing that it was paid in FULL. Upon check-in we gave the voucher to the front desk and asked if everything was paid for and Christain said, "Yes!" Fast-forward 7 days to check-out and there was an issue. As I am giving my keys back, the lady at the front desk says, "Let me get your bill!" She goes to the back office and comes out with a Post-It note that has $375.00 written on it...she then says, "You owe me $375.00!" I was like my room was pre-paid and I gave you the voucher when I checked in. I asked her what the charge was for and she had no idea...she could only say that you owe me $375.00. I was really upset. Remember that everything here is all- inclusivel, we also booked no excursions, we returned all of our pool towels and the phone in our room did not even work...what exactly could they really charge me for??? I have traveled for business and pleasure for the last 24 years and I have never been handed a post-it note with a handwritten number on it. If I still owed the hotel money when I check-in, how come they did not tell me or even take a credit card? Because everything was paid for and now the Sea Adventure Resort & Waterpark was trying to rip me off!!! The lady behind the counter could not even explain to me what the charge was for...totally un-acceptable. I gave them the keys and said, "Good-bye!" I grabbed my daughter and wife and went to walk out of the hotel door...to be blocked by two security guards standing in front of the door. They were not going to let us leave. I grabbed the door handle and said, "Get out of my way and keep your hands off of my wife and daughter!" I was getting pissed by the minute. Oh yeah these were the worse security guards in the world...they crumbled like a cookie...I would not feel safe at night with these guys protecting the hotel. We walked down the stairs and got in our pre-paid van...and then the security guards would not let my van driver leave. The security guard tried to grab my arm as I was closing the van door. Two minutes went by and the security guard came up to our van driver and said that it was okay for us to leave now. What? No manager from the Sea Adventure Resort & Waterpark to come out and apologize to us for trying to rip us off. Our van driver was really nice and he told us that this has happened to him before. He also told us that the hotel must have made mistake because they said that it was okay for us to go. The Sea Adventure Resort & Waterpark is a joke...in all of my years of travel I have never been given a final bill on a post-it note with a hand written $375.00 on it...how about a print out with an explanation of the charges!!! That is what every other hotel does since the invetion of typewriters and printers. We were also embarrassed in the lobby of the hotel by the nice new friends that we made...who came down to send us off...they had to see me turn into the Incredible Hulk and extract my family from a bad situation.

PLEASE TAKE MY WARNING AND NEVER EVER GO HERE!!! (and if you do you better check your post-it note bill for fake charges)

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This trip was the second time in a year that we have been to Sea Adventure. Last Feb when we went it was still Blue Bay Club, and I came home telling people that it was the best resort I have been to.
I am sorry to say that is no longer the case.
We travelled there with more people in out group and stayed 2x as long this time.
My first complaint is that I had previously emailed asking for the same room as last time.. Nope didn't get it. A second request was that the 2 rooms be either adjoined or at least side by side. These emails were sent months in advance and what we got were 2 rooms that were literally at opposite ends of the resort. At check in time the front desk staff made no apoligies about this situation nor did they attempt to remedy the problem.
The food at Sea Adventure has gone down in variety as well as quality. There was one night the food looked so disgusting we requested hamburgers from the grillman, and we weren't the only ones, I saw many families following suit and special ordering hamburgers and hotdogs.
I am not a big drinker through the day I would have water and pop, however in the evening after supper, I would have a Bailys at the lobby bar and catch the contest of the vening. I had 3 days of Bailys then a bartender whom I haven't seen said You can't have Bailys thats for "GOLD MEMBERS only." Whan I told him it wasn't for gold members last night or the night b4 he said he wasn't here. I went down to the pool bar ordered one and was served one right away..... I so humiliated and felt ver second class.
The Sea Adventure website boasts a "New Teen program" which was to include nightly disco dancing for them as well as activities during the day. ALL non existant no dance at night and no special activities outside what they offered to everyone. This was extremely dissapointing as we had broguht 1 16yr old girls with us who were looking forward to the activities posted online, and spent much of the week bored.
The hotel isn't near to anything, and looks rather hoodish outside the resort. You wouldn't want to talk a walk around there.
The guy who hangs outside the pool area to seel tours is a scam and a cheat who every day has a new price for things. He is free with giving you attitude as well if you don't buy from him. A real Jerk!
All in all I would never again reccomend this hotel after raving about it last year. The trip was a big letdown and we won't be returning.
I suggest you dont either!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
calgary
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We just came back from Sea Adventure and we LOVED it. We did have a 5yr old and 1 year old. We really enjoyed all the food they provided. Fresh fruit and hot food for breakfast, with some different choices each day. Several different choices for lunch and dinner. The kids loved the pool with the hot tubs incorroprated right into the pool, as the area around them was shollow for our 1yr old to walk around. The 5 yr old enjoyed going to the swim up bar and ordering kid drinks.
The Water park was great, has 4 slides to enjoy and a little shallow area for the 1 yr old to play in with 3 small slides. it was like our own private waterpark, as not alot of people there at one time. Swim up bar there also and a restaurant for lunch, very good food also.
The hotel staff had activities at the pool everyday from 10-4pm. stretching, water volleyball, beach volleyball, etc.
Hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. Saw the "Pirates" and "Michael Jackson" dinner show. They were great, kids loved them.
Kids club was excellent, 5yr old wanted to go everyday.
As for the time share , we didn't even notice really. We had a "welcome package invitation" under our door the first day. We didn't go get it and were never bothered at all about time shares. The "members only" section consisted of 5 chairs by the pool, nothing to complain about.
Rooms were clean and spacious. I would recomend ocean view.
We had a great time and will be back, loved every minute of it.

Edinburgh
Reviewed January 22, 2011

My boyfriend and myself really wanted to go to Cancun and the Sea Adventure gave us the opportunity to visit this expensive tourist resort at a reasonable price.

We were told by Thomas Cook that this hotel was 20 minute drive from the hotel zone and 30 minute from the airport. Unless your going by hovercraft this is certainly not the case. It takes about an hour from the airport and between 30-40 minutes, depending on where you're going in the hotel zone.

Unlike the hotel zone, this hotel is very remote from other tourist spots and let's just say you'll see the real Cancun when you approach the hotel. Thankfully, the hotel itself is well presented and very clean.

The location was our main issue. There is no direct local bus to the hotel zone unless you venture Downtown (which is not recommend to tourists) to then catch a second bus. The hotel bus takes you to it's sister hotel,Temptation, which is still no where near the hotel zone and you'll have to take a taxi or bus for 20 minutes to get into the hotel zone. If you get a taxi direct from the hotel it will cost around $200 - $250 pesos, and overall staying at this hotel will set you back money if your planning trips into the hotel zone or day trips.

It puzzled us that as the hotel offered this free bus service to Temptation, but didn't offer a pick up service.

The hotel is a family resort and is prefect for young families. As a young couple we didn't spend much time at the "evening entertainment" but we met a group of Scottish couples and drank at the pool bar most nights. The barmen are great, especially Orlando. In fact he's too good as he's got your drink ready before you've finished your current one.

After reading over some reviews, I think it's unfair of others to say the beach was dirty and filled with seaweed. We were at the beach by 8.30am everyday and by this time the staff had cleared most of the seaweed away, and come lunchtime it was gone.

In fact, we spent most of our time on the beach. It wasn't busy like the poo l, had a lovely view, was clean and the barman regularly came over to take drink orders!

I wouldn't recommend this hotel if your a vegetation or fussy eater like myself. My boyfriend ate most of the food and said it was OK but nothing special. On the other hand, I'm not a keen meat eater and found it extremely difficult to find something to eat most nights.

The only saving grace of this hotel regarding the food is the Oyster restaurant which you get 4 vouchers per party when you arrive (make sure you get 4, some people we met only got 2 or 3). This is a fantastic night away from the mediocre food at the buffet. The staff are fantastic and the food is delicious!! A must try is the Mayan coffee where you'll get to experience how they make this traditional drink.

I found that the staff were either really friendly or really unhelpful. But we didn't have any real complaints so it wasn't an issues for us.

You get what you pay for at this hotel. It's great if your on a budget, a young family or are just wanting to chill out at a hotel for a week and aren't interested in venturing out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Mo
Reviewed January 22, 2011

My husband I have been going to Cancun for 20 years now and have stayed in several resorts both all inclusive and not. This by far was the worst. Last year we took the kids for the first time to another resort which we loved for the family (Crown Paradise). The only reason we did not go there this year was because of our travel dates did not correspond with their check-in dates. We liked last years resort because they had so many activities for the kids (ages 8,14, 15) allowing my husband and I to have a vacation too. I was a little sceptical when I looked at the website, but they had lots of activities mentioned for the kids---- DON'T BE FOOLED!
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. This is an ok place to go if you don't mind staying in the slums of an inner city. It was much further from the "Cancun" I know than advertised. It really is in a "town" called Punta Sam, which when we turned the corner in Cancun toward the resort I knew we were in trouble. The neighborhood changed to a slum; with graffiti , shack "homes", junk cars and machine carrying police patrolling the area. The resort is not a gated community either. Oh by the way the "waterpark" is open to the public, actually "across the street from the main resort.; which really left me concerned about the safety of my children. There is no spa services. There is no elevator, which I knew ahead of time and did not think too much of it, but it was a pain in the rear with luggage. No teen activities, no pay preview movies, I did not feel safe leaving my 8 year old at the kids club like I did the resort last year. The only swimming pool was the size of an average backyard in-ground pool; with 20-30 people in it during the day. The nice thing about the pool was it was heated! There was very limited places to lay out and my husband was kicked out of the "exclusive" spot on the beach in front of our room???? The beach was not what you go to Cancun for.
The people were very nice and willing to help. The room was roomy and nice, clean.
The food was minimal with only 2 snack bars with limited hours and only on small buffet. There was a seafood restaurant for reservations only. They served all drinks in a 6oz plastic cup; that's a lot of trips to the bar for beer 6 oz at a time. I don't drink beer, and my husband usually drinks cheep beer her in the States, but he said the beer there was crap; poured out of liter bottles, not even draft.
Fitness room???? Well they had one but it did not even have a treadmil; which would have been fine with me if there would have been a safe place to go walk/run outside---not!
We scheduled the hotel through RCI and was transferred the next day to another resort IN CANCUN thankfully. I am really surprised RCI and funjet have it on their list of resorts!