“Family friendly resort”

Ranked #55 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Coaldale, Canada
“Family friendly resort”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

First of all since we are a family of 5 it is hard to find a resort that's not too expensive to accomodate everyone in a room - that was one reason we chose this resort since they have suites available. The other reason we chose this resort was for the waterpark. Our kids are 8, 5 and 3 and we spent the majority of the day here! Great slides and little pools for smaller kids. LOVED the water park! It was very clean and had a decent lunch place here too. Some people commented that the waterpark is open to the public which it is, but this didn't bother us at all since there were always chairs and tables available. Weekends were maybe a bit busier.

This is a 3 1/2 star resort so people who complain about the rooms and the food need to realize they are not at a luxury resort and didn't pay for one. The rooms/beds were adequate and yes, dated. Everything was always clean and the grounds were well taken care of. We stayed in the master suite across the street by the waterpark. Less than 2 minutes walk to the beach/restaurant area. THe pools out in front of the resort were ok. The food was good, some days better than others. We could always find something we liked - they always had at least 3 meats, a variety of rice, potatoes, salads and fruit. Breakfast was great. The service was great. The lines in the buffet were at times long and we thought they could organize that a bit better to lessen the wait.

Our biggest disappointment was the beach. We knew there was quite a bit of seaweed that washed up before going, but on our last few days a rainstorm brought in a TON of seaweed! They had crews trying to clean it up the next day - but it was such an eyesore for our last few days. It made the water very dirty and we didn't want to spend too much time there.

The activity staff here was awesome! I gave this resort a 4 out of 5 because of the staff. They were always doing activities by the pools or the waterpark for the kids. Water balloons, water guns, bingo, boat races, dressed up as superheroes, soccer etc... our kids always had something to do. There were many unruly kids when we were there - I don't know where their parents were but the activity staff put up with them and tried their best to deal with these big mouthed kids. The night shows were fun for the kids but were more on the amateur side. Michael Jackson show was the best.

Overall, I would recommend this resort if you have kids. I do not know why you would come here if you are just a couple, simply because we thought the waterpark was the best part. If you are looking for a fancy luxurious place - this is not it either. The resort does have a nice mexican feel to it and lots of tiling that creates a nice charm, but it is dated. The location is away from the hotel zone which we didn't mind at all since we don't need to go out partying at night or shopping. We liked not being in the highrise hotel zone. We felt safe staying here.

Day trips - we went to the Isla Mujeres island - took a ferry which was a short bus ride away and then once on the island rented a golf cart and drove around the island. We went to a turtle farm and Garrafon Park. The shopping is also great with flea markets and shopping stalls in the main town. We had a great day here with our kids! We also went to Xel-ha with our kids which was also fun,tho expensive. It was great snorkeling and easy to do with the kids but the bus ride was almost 2 hours so made for a long day. We thought it was worth it tho. Lots of other great day trips to do in this area which is why Cancun is nice to stay around.

Room Tip: The suites are worth the extra money!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank AmandaV_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

we stayed here over new year. It was ok, couple of us had an upset belly........
you are not near anything??????
had to get a bus or taxi.......our first room as horrible..but they did change it after 5 days!!!!!!!
if you have older chrildren i would say 11 plus...don't bother...they will be bored, say your money and go else wear????????
thanks thomas cook.......for ripping me off.......

Room Tip: book another hotel....
3 Thank loufuse
Conwy, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

service excellent,food very good,hotel staff very helpful and friendly,location slightly out of town but transport lincs very good. now visited 4 times you know what you are getting.have met several friends on return there from uk,canada and states the keep returning and so will we.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Trev F
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stay during Dec. 15 –Dec. 22, 2012. My experience was terrible. My family got sick(diarrhea) and did not get the room we paid for at very beginning. My friends and I booked and paid for Junior Suites with ocean view half year ago, but end with a main floor room only has bed and bathroom, no ocean view(only can see boats from the window.) I asked why I did not get what I paid. They told me my friend want the group live together. I told them I want the junior suites without next to my friends. They told me the hotel is full. I said then give me the fridge, microwave and coffee machine. They said ok. But they only delivered the microwave to the room. After 2 hours wait, I went to front desk asked again. They told me they will send the rest of stuff soon. 2 hour later my wife went to ask angrily. They promise send them to us and will give us a surprise on Monday (3 days later). 10 minutes later, they delivered the fridge but no coffee machine. I need hot water (I have new born need hot water for formula). They never give us the coffee machine. We were tired of asking and get it from my friend’s room.
The surprise is they switch us to the junior suites that are what I paid for! They asked me to move out of room at 11:00am first then pick the new room key at 15:00PM. I have lots of baby stuff. It is really inconvenient for me to do that!
The worst part is all my family get sick (vomit first, then diarrhea). Later doctor told us it is virus. We stay at hotel room most of time. Our trip is totally ruined.
I suspect the water in hotel has some problem. All kids under 6 years old in my group got very serious diarrhea. There is one thing I like to mention. On Wednesday Dec. 19, 2012 around 4:30PM, My daughter and I swim at the pool (it was raining at that time, only a few people, maybe less than 20), someone found poop in one of it 3 jacuzzis located inside the pool. We told the hotel. Someone came later with dustpan and use it to scoop up the poop and throe it to the beach not far from the pool. They did not close the pool. When the rain stopped, lots of people jumped in the pool. That is really disgusting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Josh f
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here xmas and new year . First thing on arrival at airport Thomas cook is a shamballs and will not be travelling with them again. Was made to stand in very hot heat with 2 kids while we waited a bus . No one knew was was going on and after a very long flight all you want to do it get to your destination . Once at hotel check in was a nightmare was made to get a drink while we hade to wait for the bell boy to take our luggage to our room. Once in our room it was not very nice so upgraded to a sea view room which cost about £200 but worth every penny. Shame not every room was as nice. Food was ok better than what I thought it was going to be. Reception staff was not very welcoming and one evening I was coming out of our shower and a lovely French lady had freely opened my door and let her self in my room......the staff at reception gave her the wrong room key , very bad service. Then back to Thomas cook the rep Alfie is useless we booked a trip when we turned up in the morning apprently it was cancelled the night before but we didn't get told so we where standing outside like morons for 45 mins . In the end we booked out trips with the hotel ......on reading theses reviews before coming out I was nervous but we was pleasantly surprised .......just watch out for Thomas cook . I would not come back to this hotel only due to the fact it's half a hour in a taxi to cancan and its just a basic hotel ........would like more beach more choice of wine and more comfort. If you're looking for a budget 2-3 star hotel then your in luck. One more thing the entertainment staff was fantastic ....... They worked so hard 5 stars from us, all in all we had a lovely xmas & new year in Mexico !!

Room Tip: Upgrade it's so worth every penny
2 Thank Georgiecork
NYC
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were very disappointed in the overall accommodations at Sea Adventure Resort and Water park. We have stayed in many all-inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and Mexico. This is definitely at the bottom of our list. For a resort that is supposed to be "NEW" it was horrible. Driving to the resort was a little scary as you go through not the best neighborhood in Cancun. Ive been to Cancun at least 3 times and nothing compared to what i experienced here. We found restaurant other than the "fancy" restaurant to be absolutely disgusting. The only thing edible were the fries and bread. The beer is equivalent to " Old English 40's" in New York and tasted like metal.The water park is open to the public which they failed to mention upon booking our trip, it was a complete waste of time. The beach was nice, except for the fact we kept getting followed around by security and wouldn't let us sit on a certain side of the beach. One of the beach employees who were in charge of the water sports stole my brothers shoes, he had to confront him and the worker denied taking them. My brother opened up a cabinet where the worker was standing and there were hi shoes. He was told they were playing a "Joke", which clearly wasn't. The night actives were poor and catered to children only. Ive seen school plays with more action. There are no activities close to the resort, which did put a damper on our trip. After being to this resort I will never ever return to Mexico, as it left a bad taste in our mouths. The only good thing to be said about this resort is most of the staff is helpful and well mannered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lizzy119
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 31, 2012

First the good things ..

It's beach facing and they have a "small" water park... Food is included and the drinks too..checking is easy ..very safe place

The is a guy who does finger painting .. It's good

Bad things :

Most of the population is Spanish and if you don't know Spanish its little difficult..

The kids program and the girl who runs it sucks!! She has no idea what's helping next and always late..

Internet : It's $10 per day and it sucks.. You can't get signal most of the places .. But yo have no other option...

Food : Mostly it's the same .. Everyday !!!!

STAY Away from the guy who sells timeshare !!!!

Room Tip: Take the room toward the left side of reception .. Say side of gifts hop
10 Thank Joe K
Migue S, Manager at All Ritmo Cancun Resort & Waterpark, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about our resort. We assure you that we will consider the comment related to the kids club staff, it will forward to our entretaiment manager and we will check the internet connection with the company. On behalf of all the staff at Sea Adventure Resort & Waterpark, it was a pleasure having you with us and we appreciate your preference. Hope to see you on your next holidays.

Best regards