“Absolutely fantastic for families”

All Ritmo Cancun Resort & Waterpark
Ranked #56 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
delaware
“Absolutely fantastic for families”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Oh, where to begin? Spent a week here, and really enjoyed it. Check-in was quick & easy (did the online advance check in). They even honored my request for an upgrade to oceanside room on ground floor (free - one advantage to coming in low season). The room was fantastic - opened right out to a small porch and then down three steps directly to the beach! The beach has soft, white sand. There is a lot of sea grass growing in the ocean, which washes up on shore every day, but two steps and you're past it. No big deal. There is a nice reef developing on the sunken sandbags in front of the hotel - snorkelling, I saw Queen Angels, cowfish, sargent majors, Baracuda, lobsters, sharp-nosed puffers, stingrays, starfish, blue tangs, and more. From 10-4, the boating area is open and you can take out snorkel gear, kayaks, windsurfers, boogie or surfboards, kiddie paddleboats, and big catamarans! The staff will take you out on a catamaran ride, or teach you how to sail them yourself!
Back to the room - Two double beds and a sofa were clean and very comfortable. A/C worked really well. Had a kitchenette with M/W, fridge (not stocked), sink & coffee maker, which we didn't use. The bellboy recommended not drinking the tap water but refilling a water bottles with the filtered water near the lobby. We didn't notice anyone else doing that, so it might not have been necessary, but we did it and no one got sick. The maid came every morning and was so quick she was usually done by the time we got back from breakfast. Left a couple of towel art animals which my kids enjoyed. Everything was very clean, even though we tracked sand in every day! Our room was very quiet, as we had a linen closet on one side of us and the other side room was not occupied the whole time we were there.
Next - the waterpark. A short (2min) walk across the street - the slides were a big hit with my kids (ages 4 & 6). They had a baby pool with little slides, and the big slides for everyone (including me & my husband!). They also have a mini-golf course which my older son wanted to play every day. The "snack bar" here is much more than a snack bar - grill for burgers,fries & dogs, buffet of other things (pasta, fish, beef, chicken, potatoes - different every day). We always ate lunch here because you can eat in your bathing suit.
The entertainment team is excellent - they work so hard and never appear to tire. I took salsa lessons, played water polo, trivia games in the evening, and so much more. Balam, in particular, was very fun and inclusive. The only thing that I didn't like about the evening entertainment is that my kids wanted to participate in the games, (darts, spinning wheels, trivia contests, etc.) but if you lose, a parent has to drink a tequila shot. Well, I don't drink and my husband was sick for most of the week (he came with a sinus infection, nothing to do with Mexico), so I had to tell the kids they couldn't play even though all the other kids were playing. Finally, the last night, Aldo led a family trivia night where the loser has to do the chicken dance. We played with enthusiasm (and did a lot of chicken dancing!) The entertainment team also puts on very nice shows which the kids enjoyed greatly. They won't be mistaken for professionals, but they were a lot of fun to watch. One thing that I didn't like about the daily schedule is that there is no way to find out in advance what is going to happen. We wanted to plan outings/restaurant reservations for nights when there would be no show, or when the kids club was open late, but you can only get the schedule (under your door) the night before. All week my kids were looking forward to the pirate show on our last night. Even that morning the reception desk confirmed that the pirate show was every Monday at 8pm. But, it turns out that just the day before, they'd cancelled the pirate show (likely because of low occupancy). I understand the reasoning, but couldn't they have figured this out more than 24hrs prior to the show so that I didn't get my kids all excited about it?
The food was great in my book - I ate way too much. The buffet had a nice variety and always lots of fresh fruit. I met Fernando, the breakfast & lunch chef, the first day when I asked whether he ever had mango on the fruit trays (they're my favorite). He thought for a moment and said "tomorrow". "Great", I said, "I'll be here early to get some!" "Relax", he replied "just advise me when you get here & I'll cut some for you". Fernando was my BFF after that! As for the restaurants, you can make reservations for the Ostras seafood restaurant (where we had a nice "grownup" meal while the kids club took our kids to dinner) and the Pizza/Pasta restaurant (only open certain nights). The Italian restaurant food was delicious - I had a brick-oven cheese pizza with artichoke hearts to die for! And the waiters (everywhere) were very nice to my kids and didn't seem bothered by their typical kid antics. In fact, the entire resort staff seemed to enjoy entertaining the children.
My kids didn't want to spend much time in the kids club, which baffled me since the gals that work there are amazingly sweet and had a lot of fun activities planned. But the times they did go there they enjoyed (and Rosalba went above & beyond, facepainting my little pirates even after the club was closed for the day - that made their day!
The other guests we met were very friendly. The clientele were about 75% Mexican and 25% everthing else (American and British/Scottish while we were there). We liked being able to meet people from Mexico and practicing our Spanish (although they were equally excited to practice English with us). Yes, the waterpark is crowded on weekends/holidays with local day pass clientele, but it was just as fun when full, and no excessive lines. There are advantages to the hotel/waterpark being more full - more choices on the buffet (when the park was empty, they turned the snack bar into a-la-carte with very limited choices), and more activities (they cancelled the evening show our last night because occupancy was so low).
For outings, we went to El Meco, the Mayan ruins just up the street. It's a 10 min walk North (right as you exit the hotel). The caretaker, Jesus, is super friendly (see my review of El Meco for more info). I also went shopping at Mercado 28, which I highly recommend. It's a HUGE market full of handicrafts from all over the country. I bought some beautiful handmade shirts from Chiapas. Shopkeepers are very aggressive in trying to get your attention, and they always start out quoting you a price that's way too high. The hotel shuttle takes you there every day at 11am, or you can take a taxi for $10. The colectivos (vans) go near there (about 10-15min walk) so you can take those for 6 pesos (50 cents) although it can be confusing finding your way there & back. If you like walking and can ask directions in Spanish, you'll have no trouble at all.
Overall, this is a very nice family resort. The staff all seemed to enjoy having the children around - I never felt like they were unwelcome. The staff try their hardest to meet every request. I look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: We liked the ground floor oceanside room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank outdoorgalDelaware

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Polish first
Llanrwst, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We have just returned home after a 2 week holiday. The rooms were lovely, clean and ours opened up to the beach. All the staff were very pleasant and did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. There was a good selection of food at every meal. The Oyster Bar restaurant was very good for a special meal. The hotel was away from the busy hotel strip and this led to a very relaxing time. We went for walks outside of the hotel and did not feel intimidated in the least.
This is a great hotel for youngsters and couples but a bit difficult for disabled people because there are a lot of steps. We will certainly return and will recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SheilaJonesConwy
Saskatoon
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Hola!!!!
Well my partner of 10 years and friends of ours and their daughter decided to surprise myself and my 8yr old daughter with a trip to this AMAZING resort! .. We had soo much fun just hanging out at the water park and the pool ! the beach was the place where our girl wanted to be most of the time but she loved the water park as well! My"hubby" and Ed really loved the water park and they went down the slides as much as the kids did they even managed to talk myself and "Sandy " to go down !
The entertainment staff are an amazing bunch of young entertainers, the shows they put on for the dinner theaters were top notch I would say! out of all of them my favorite was the Micheal Jackson Tribute, and the poolside and waterpark activities were just as much fun .The activiteis in the evenings in the lobby bar were fun , enjoyed "Mr Mexico the most!
The food was good , didn't really like the Al a Carte meal at Oysters all that much , they book you the table for 2 hours and it actually took us 2 hours to get thru our meal !
The buffet food for breakfast was everything I had hoped it would be and that was "GOOD" my girl never had any trouble finding things to eat and she is one picky eater I tell you ! I just loved the fact that they had bacon !
Lunch and supper were good and the latenight snacking was good as well , the "blue and green" drinks were the best and ask for a " Dirty Monkey" as thats a darn good drink as well if you like bananas.
I am so happy that we went on this trip and were discussing with our friends about things to do the next time we go , and yes we are going again it will be our second time and for our frinds it will be their 3rd ! Dont listen to the views of a teenager as they will always find something wrong with everything, Our room was great up on the 4th floor was a timeshare suite I am sure as it was huge! but just a FYI this place has NO elevators so if you have kids in strollers or have issues with climbing a heck of a lot of stairs it seems then you will want to make sure your on the 1st or 2nd floor! But I am sure you will love the place as much as we did! Go find out for yourselves as thats the only way you will ever truely know!!! and I am sure you wont regret it...

4 Thank coffeeQueen2012
essex england
Reviewed April 27, 2012

just returned from 2 week stay and we loved it, the staff are all very freindly even the cleaners, the food was good there is always a choice and in the 2 weeks we had there i never ate the same meal twice, we had an oceanveiw groundfloor room overlooking the mariner and we loved it the veiw was WOW, dont really understand people moaning about this hotel as we found no problems and we have travelled worldwide and stayed in 5 star places too, the place is very clean we always saw someone cleaning something,( even the windows in resturants were always being washed ) we never used the waterpark athough i would love to take my grandkids just so i can have an excuse to use it :) would go back and have already recomened

Room Tip: we had oceanveiw room and loved it
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lisaandpaulking
Uk
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Travelled with 5&6yr olds to celebrate my birthday and give the children a special holiday. Following 11hr flight 6hr time difference unable to gain entry to our room with card, several attempts by staff before I asked for manager who also couldn't get in they eventually broke in via patio doors we had a ground floor suite, offered alternate rm but not a suite so declined told room would be sorted in the morning. Air conditioning also not working. Next day front door fixed and A/C eventually but patio door still not fixed Thomas Cook rep aware and informed me my insurance would be invalid. Six days before patio door fixed not satisfactory as had two children who could either get out if woke in the night or someone could get in and cause harm. A real concern as you are not allowed to leave swim wear out to dry because of risk of burgerely however they could have just walked into my room!!!!
We had one day with a secure room only on day 7 to be locked out again. This time it was 11pm before our room was secure my children were asleep, room change offered but again not a suite and inappropriate to move at 11pm. Tried to contact Thomas Cook rep as they say they can be contacted 24hrs a day however this is not the case left numerous messages but they were never returned. When I called the next day I was told the numbers in resort are incorrect, however the rep failed to update these. Very poor service.
Day 12 the same problem again we did move as we had packed ready to leave and the room was just up from the original, however on arrival room much smaller children's beds up against patio doors that to no surprise did not lock, this was reported by the maid and me to reception staff at 9am, at 2pm I gained entry to my room via the patio door no key needed lock not repaired!!!! My room had been left wide open from 9am-2pm!!!! I demanded the door was repaired straight away and spoke to the useless member of staff on reception who I had reported the fault to at 9am he failed to make eye contact. The resort has potential however the management and Maintainence of the resort is very poor, this is a family resort and the suites are generally used by families so security should be of the highest priority.
Have filed formal complaint on resort and also since coming home.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor as patio doors do not lock. This invalidates insurance and makes it unsafe for f...
6 Thank Amanda C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2012

HOLA! I travelled with my mom, my younger sister (12 years old) and myself (15 years old). We stayed at Sea Adventure from April 16th- April 23rd 2012. Previously, we have stayed at Allegro in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and absolutely LOVED it so much we went there twice 4 months apart :)
We liked Mexico as a country but we didn't enjoy Cancun as it was way too commercialized. We knew it was a party city but I don't think we realized the extent. Pus, my sister picked out the resort for the waterpark. This resort is away from the main hotel zone, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Although, we did experience some authentic Mexico, we won't stay in Cancun again. The story of Cancun is that up until 1970 it didn't even exist. It was all a vast jungle until a Mexican man known as "Mr. Cancun" came in and started paving roads. So instead of the government paying him for this with money, they gave him beach front property which he built on.
On the other hand, check in went smoothly and we were upgraded to a junior ocean view suite. We did have to pay $150 (about half of what they would normally charge) but we did meet someone who received the upgrade for free. However, I think it was worth it as we enjoyed the extra space. The resort is beautiful. It’s very home-y and cozy with a lot of nice seating. My mom especially enjoyed the big comfy chairs to read on when she needed a break from the sun. To continue, the resort is pretty large and is split into two parts. One side is the pool and the beach and across the street is the waterpark. There is a tunnel between the two so you do not have to worry about traffic. The pool is located directly on the beach so it got really windy at times. The beach was nice but I found the left side to be cleaner. However, we are not beach people so we weren't bothered by this too much. There is a marina located not to far down the beach which makes for a lovely view. Honestly no matter where you looked whether from the lobby or the pool, there was a beautiful view. Also, the resort was very clean and the grounds were well kept.
As far as food goes, it was available all the time. There was a pool snack bar located to the right of the pool and a waterpark snack bar. The buffet was located near the lobby but every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday nights the buffet was moved to the dinner theater located by the waterpark for the show. We thought this was a nice touch and the shows were amazing. It was obvious they put so much time and effort in to them. We found the food pretty average. At the snack bars there was hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salad, fruit etc... I found that the buffet didn't have a lot of options but what was there was great. The bread was to die for lol. The fruit was good but there wasn't a lot of it out at lunch or dinner. We had to ask for it most of the time. As big fruit eaters, this wasn't thrilling. Breakfast was always delicious though. There was food like omelettes, pancakes, nachos, chicken tacos, etc... There was actually more sweets at breakfast than at dinner like cookies and different kinds of pastries. Us, as well as other people we talked to, found this strange. You have to option to eat at the a la carte twice. We did only once as we did not think it was very good.
We thought the entertainment was average. The entertainment guys are not as friendly as we have experienced in the past but once you started to talk to them they were very nice. Every day there was a schedule of the activities happening at the waterpark, kids club and the pool. They would give you the schedule the night before under your door. There were games like volley ball, boccce ball, basketball, yoga, water aerobics, cake decorating, watergun fights... The night entertainment wasn't very good. It wasn't set up well at all. It was at the lobby bar and there wasn't much room. There were games but 95% of them were for adults. The games were not inappropriate so nobody could understand why nobody else could play. The games for children were for younger kids so it was harder for the teenagers. We would have preferred for the night entertainment to be more in a theatre setting where eveybody in the audience is involved and laughing. We talked to many other people at the resort and they all agreed the nighttime entertainment (other thean the shows) was boring.
We did 2 excursions. The first one was Chichen Itza, which is an ancient Mayan ruin and is not one of the 7 Wonders of the World. We also stopped a beautiful cenote and a little colonial town. It was nice but I honestly would not recommend it. It took about 3 hours to get there, you were gone the entire day and the excursion itself was not that great. However, if you want a similar experience check out EL Meco.Once you leave the hotel and just keep walking right for about 10 mintues you shouldn't miss it. It is another ruin but much closer and much cheaper. It was only $10 USD a person. We did not actually do it but we a couple who did and said it was beautiful. Then, we took a ferry to Isla Mujeres which costed $16 USD return. We just walked left from the hotel for about 10- 15 mins to get to the marina. The ride was only about 15 minutes and went by in no time by looking at the view. We were able to rent a golf cart to tour around the island and were actually able to drive them ourselves. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a busy street but on a backroad with less traffic. I would definately recommend doing this. The island was so beautiful, as it was so cute and quaint. And the ocean- AMAZING! We also went to a turtle aquarium which costed $3 USD or 30 pesos. I thought it was worth it. There were many tubs with different turtles in them. Inside there were different kinds of turtles as well as fish and seahorses. There were specific turtles that you could even hold, which was very cool. We went off the resort a few times just to explore. There are little buses around the resort you can take that cost 6 pesos. You have to take sure it says Blue Bay on it. Those buses will take you all as far as the AVEO bus station (Greyhound). Then if you want to go to the hotel zone you can take a larger bus. Just make sure its a number 1. One day we went into the city center. Not the hotel zone, but the real downtown. I recommend checking that out as it was very interesting. There was a lot of hustle and bustle and people just living their lives.
Overall, the resort was beautiful, the people were nice and the waterpark was awesome. The food was average and the entertainment could have been better. However, we had a great time and really enjoyed the resort. I would definitely recommend this for people with children

7 Thank brooklyn t
Cancun
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We had a great experience during our stay, our 6 yeor old boy enjoyed so much. In general we had a great time, the fecilities are good and the rooms are clean.
for the restaurant was very dificult to get a table, there was no hostes at the entrance, so everivody gets out of the line and you have to figth to get a table, that was not very nice. in general the service is good and the waterpark is great for the kids.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family