3,117 results
All reviews blue bay sea adventure el meco kids club entertainment staff isla mujeres junior suite family vacation beach volleyball lot of seaweed evening shows swim up bar make reservations spring break the wait staff alfredo resort
Reviewed April 27, 2012

just returned from 2 week stay and we loved it, the staff are all very freindly even the cleaners, the food was good there is always a choice and in the 2 weeks we had there i never ate the same meal twice, we had an oceanveiw groundfloor room overlooking the mariner and we loved it the veiw was WOW, dont really understand people moaning about this hotel as we found no problems and we have travelled worldwide and stayed in 5 star places too, the place is very clean we always saw someone cleaning something,( even the windows in resturants were always being washed ) we never used the waterpark athough i would love to take my grandkids just so i can have an excuse to use it :) would go back and have already recomened

Room tip: we had oceanveiw room and loved it
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank lisaandpaulking
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Travelled with 5&6yr olds to celebrate my birthday and give the children a special holiday. Following 11hr flight 6hr time difference unable to gain entry to our room with card, several attempts by staff before I asked for manager who also couldn't get in they eventually broke in via patio doors we had a ground floor suite, offered alternate rm but not a suite so declined told room would be sorted in the morning. Air conditioning also not working. Next day front door fixed and A/C eventually but patio door still not fixed Thomas Cook rep aware and informed me my insurance would be invalid. Six days before patio door fixed not satisfactory as had two children who could either get out if woke in the night or someone could get in and cause harm. A real concern as you are not allowed to leave swim wear out to dry because of risk of burgerely however they could have just walked into my room!!!!
We had one day with a secure room only on day 7 to be locked out again. This time it was 11pm before our room was secure my children were asleep, room change offered but again not a suite and inappropriate to move at 11pm. Tried to contact Thomas Cook rep as they say they can be contacted 24hrs a day however this is not the case left numerous messages but they were never returned. When I called the next day I was told the numbers in resort are incorrect, however the rep failed to update these. Very poor service.
Day 12 the same problem again we did move as we had packed ready to leave and the room was just up from the original, however on arrival room much smaller children's beds up against patio doors that to no surprise did not lock, this was reported by the maid and me to reception staff at 9am, at 2pm I gained entry to my room via the patio door no key needed lock not repaired!!!! My room had been left wide open from 9am-2pm!!!! I demanded the door was repaired straight away and spoke to the useless member of staff on reception who I had reported the fault to at 9am he failed to make eye contact. The resort has potential however the management and Maintainence of the resort is very poor, this is a family resort and the suites are generally used by families so security should be of the highest priority.
Have filed formal complaint on resort and also since coming home.

Room tip: Avoid ground floor as patio doors do not lock. This invalidates insurance and makes it unsafe for families with children. Avoid rm 134 and 139 . 134 has a faulty card swipe entry pad.
6  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed April 25, 2012

HOLA! I travelled with my mom, my younger sister (12 years old) and myself (15 years old). We stayed at Sea Adventure from April 16th- April 23rd 2012. Previously, we have stayed at Allegro in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and absolutely LOVED it so much we went there twice 4 months apart :)
We liked Mexico as a country but we didn't enjoy Cancun as it was way too commercialized. We knew it was a party city but I don't think we realized the extent. Pus, my sister picked out the resort for the waterpark. This resort is away from the main hotel zone, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Although, we did experience some authentic Mexico, we won't stay in Cancun again. The story of Cancun is that up until 1970 it didn't even exist. It was all a vast jungle until a Mexican man known as "Mr. Cancun" came in and started paving roads. So instead of the government paying him for this with money, they gave him beach front property which he built on.
On the other hand, check in went smoothly and we were upgraded to a junior ocean view suite. We did have to pay $150 (about half of what they would normally charge) but we did meet someone who received the upgrade for free. However, I think it was worth it as we enjoyed the extra space. The resort is beautiful. It’s very home-y and cozy with a lot of nice seating. My mom especially enjoyed the big comfy chairs to read on when she needed a break from the sun. To continue, the resort is pretty large and is split into two parts. One side is the pool and the beach and across the street is the waterpark. There is a tunnel between the two so you do not have to worry about traffic. The pool is located directly on the beach so it got really windy at times. The beach was nice but I found the left side to be cleaner. However, we are not beach people so we weren't bothered by this too much. There is a marina located not to far down the beach which makes for a lovely view. Honestly no matter where you looked whether from the lobby or the pool, there was a beautiful view. Also, the resort was very clean and the grounds were well kept.
As far as food goes, it was available all the time. There was a pool snack bar located to the right of the pool and a waterpark snack bar. The buffet was located near the lobby but every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday nights the buffet was moved to the dinner theater located by the waterpark for the show. We thought this was a nice touch and the shows were amazing. It was obvious they put so much time and effort in to them. We found the food pretty average. At the snack bars there was hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salad, fruit etc... I found that the buffet didn't have a lot of options but what was there was great. The bread was to die for lol. The fruit was good but there wasn't a lot of it out at lunch or dinner. We had to ask for it most of the time. As big fruit eaters, this wasn't thrilling. Breakfast was always delicious though. There was food like omelettes, pancakes, nachos, chicken tacos, etc... There was actually more sweets at breakfast than at dinner like cookies and different kinds of pastries. Us, as well as other people we talked to, found this strange. You have to option to eat at the a la carte twice. We did only once as we did not think it was very good.
We thought the entertainment was average. The entertainment guys are not as friendly as we have experienced in the past but once you started to talk to them they were very nice. Every day there was a schedule of the activities happening at the waterpark, kids club and the pool. They would give you the schedule the night before under your door. There were games like volley ball, boccce ball, basketball, yoga, water aerobics, cake decorating, watergun fights... The night entertainment wasn't very good. It wasn't set up well at all. It was at the lobby bar and there wasn't much room. There were games but 95% of them were for adults. The games were not inappropriate so nobody could understand why nobody else could play. The games for children were for younger kids so it was harder for the teenagers. We would have preferred for the night entertainment to be more in a theatre setting where eveybody in the audience is involved and laughing. We talked to many other people at the resort and they all agreed the nighttime entertainment (other thean the shows) was boring.
We did 2 excursions. The first one was Chichen Itza, which is an ancient Mayan ruin and is not one of the 7 Wonders of the World. We also stopped a beautiful cenote and a little colonial town. It was nice but I honestly would not recommend it. It took about 3 hours to get there, you were gone the entire day and the excursion itself was not that great. However, if you want a similar experience check out EL Meco.Once you leave the hotel and just keep walking right for about 10 mintues you shouldn't miss it. It is another ruin but much closer and much cheaper. It was only $10 USD a person. We did not actually do it but we a couple who did and said it was beautiful. Then, we took a ferry to Isla Mujeres which costed $16 USD return. We just walked left from the hotel for about 10- 15 mins to get to the marina. The ride was only about 15 minutes and went by in no time by looking at the view. We were able to rent a golf cart to tour around the island and were actually able to drive them ourselves. I wouldn't recommend doing this on a busy street but on a backroad with less traffic. I would definately recommend doing this. The island was so beautiful, as it was so cute and quaint. And the ocean- AMAZING! We also went to a turtle aquarium which costed $3 USD or 30 pesos. I thought it was worth it. There were many tubs with different turtles in them. Inside there were different kinds of turtles as well as fish and seahorses. There were specific turtles that you could even hold, which was very cool. We went off the resort a few times just to explore. There are little buses around the resort you can take that cost 6 pesos. You have to take sure it says Blue Bay on it. Those buses will take you all as far as the AVEO bus station (Greyhound). Then if you want to go to the hotel zone you can take a larger bus. Just make sure its a number 1. One day we went into the city center. Not the hotel zone, but the real downtown. I recommend checking that out as it was very interesting. There was a lot of hustle and bustle and people just living their lives.
Overall, the resort was beautiful, the people were nice and the waterpark was awesome. The food was average and the entertainment could have been better. However, we had a great time and really enjoyed the resort. I would definitely recommend this for people with children

7  Thank brooklyn t
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We had a great experience during our stay, our 6 yeor old boy enjoyed so much. In general we had a great time, the fecilities are good and the rooms are clean.
for the restaurant was very dificult to get a table, there was no hostes at the entrance, so everivody gets out of the line and you have to figth to get a table, that was not very nice. in general the service is good and the waterpark is great for the kids.

Date of stay: July 2011
2  Thank Jose L
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I travelled with my husband and our three kids aged 4-7. We stayed in a junior oceanview suite. The positives: The kids had the time of their lives. They loved the facilities - unseen at any 3 star resort. It had a perfect mix of waterpark, shallow pools and beach. There were plenty of activities for them. They did an Easter egg hunt, daily waterballoon/watergun fights, movies at 5pm, kid kayaks and boats, and unlimited slushies (virgin pina coladas, shirley temples and strawberry dacquiries). The evening shows were like amateur versions of a broadway show - but perfect for kids. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The negatives: The room was tired looking but clean and comfortable. There were ants in our room and we also saw a gecko - I think it comes with the territory. There was a lot of seaweed on the beach - it was kind of stinky but not overbearing. There was also this weird pipe in the waterfront that was constantly being checked out by a guy in a wetsuit - I think it was for creating sanbars. The food was average though kids were satisfied with fries, hot dogs, hamburgers and pasta almost every day. Fresh fruit was good.
We did two excursions. One to Isla Mujeres - husband got pickpocked on the Ultramar ferry. Beware of pickpocketers - they travelled in a group with a child and pressed up against my husband as we got off the ferry. We rented a golf cart from Prisma. Went to the turtle farm - cute but nothing big. Went snorkling at the hotel Garrafon de Castilla - kids loved feeding the fish. The other excursion was to the mayan ruin el meco (short walk from the hotel) - guy there was friendly and it was nice to add a bit of history to our trip.
We booked with Sunquest - which was a dissapointment because we originally booked day flights Thur-Thur but then three weeks before our trip they changed it to Sat-Sat red-eye flights. We were quite worried about our kids travelling on a red-eye and sitting next to strangers so we had to pay an extra $150 for pre-booking seats. Sunquest said they would send us travel vouchers but we still have not received a thing. Even so I would not travel with Sunquest again.
Tip - book for the market shuttle, pizza past bar and oysters restaurants ahead of time.
Book ahead on-line with Cancun Shuttle for transportation to/from the airport - it's worth it to get private transportation.

1  Thank Katie C