Villas Marlin
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsliving roomkukulcan mallhotel zonethese unitsbeach towelscleaning serviceevery other daycleaning ladyfamily poolbus stopconvenience storemain poolair conditionerpools are greatweek staythe ritz carltonbeautiful beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Rented a unit from Alvin, who was very personable and accommodating. About three weeks before our arrival date Alvin contacted us to inform us that the unit we had chosen had been sold and the new owner was not going to honour the rental agreements previously set up. Alvin upgraded us from a two bedroom to a four bedroom for the same price. As we had the extra room, we were able to invite extended family. The rate for the additional room being used was very reasonable and the bigger unit was also newly renovated and quite nice. The complex is very well maintained and the staff are really great. We especially liked Edward from the store/pool bar and the one security guard, Rafael., who were both very welcoming and friendly. We took public transit(super easy) to walmart and picked up everything we needed for the 10 days and took a taxi back. The convenience store on the property seemed to have the basics for sure and if we ever ran out of anything we could find it there. It was a great place to go for bottled water, ice cream treats, snacks, etc. The location of the complex is really ideal. Despite being right in the middle of the hotel zone it was really quiet- many of the condos are owned by locals so they are at work, not sitting by the pool. We stayed primarily by the main pool when we were there and never had an issue with finding a chair under an umbrella. The complex does provide chairs to have out on the beach-the formed fiberglass ones. No umbrellas on the beach so you would need to get your own for that. Having the mall across the street was great, if there was a night we didn't want to cook we would go there. Also did some souvenir shopping there. The bus was a short walk on the other side of the mall so totally convenient. The transportation to and from the airport was a great perk that is given with a minimum one week rental. The drivers were on time and very friendly. We had an issue with the front door when we first got there- before you know it a maintenance person was there to fix it. Although we didn't need Alvin or Fernando much during our stay, they were quick to respond to anything that came up for us. The ONLY bad thing about this unit is that the beautiful marble floors are VERY slippery when wet. Unfortunately, about 1/2 hour after our extended family arrived my brother in law slipped on the wet stairs and hurt himself - cracked rib. We let it go as we really knew better that to have wet feet on such a smooth surface and kept a towel at the bottom of the stairs to dry feet from then on. That being said,I also slipped with dry feet one morning, not hurting myself as badly. Before we left we informed Alvin of the danger and he was already planning to get some grip strips for the stairs before the next renters came.

I would definitely recommend the Villas Marlin to anyone who is not set on an all-inclusive, five star experience. We found that we spent more time exploring the area than we would have if we had pre-paid for food and drinks at a resort. If we return to Cancun (very likely, we loved it), we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent Christmas 2013 (December 18-28) at Villas Marlin, Unit 705. The apartment which was a corner unit was essentially as described with fantastic views. As this is a private rental and not part of the resort complex, it was peaceful and quiet; essentially a home away from home. This is a two storey unit and the main floor has a small kitchen, a bedroom, full bathroom, dining room and living room with large HD TV that has a great selection of satellite TV and free WiFi . A second bedroom and bathroom is located on the second floor and as per the living room has a large HD TV with Satellite TV. The balconies (runs the length of the first floor wrapping around the side so that there is a view of both the lagoon and ocean, and the master bedroom also has a small balcony) are great for catching a few rays, sipping cold drinks or just watching the pelican’s fish as the sun rises or sets. Air conditioning worked great on main floor, not so good in master bedroom (but we could still sleep fine), although it was warm.

There are three pools on the property overlooking a beautiful beach. There are also a couple of hot tubs as well. The pools and hot tubs were in use over the Christmas but not crowded like one would see at a resort. There is a small general store on site, run by a friendly family that has all the basics including bread, water, beer and ice. The Villas Marlin has 24 hour on site security. The main pool and beach has a life guard on duty.

Villas Marlin is just behind Plaza Kukulcan and within an easy 5 minute walk to Plaza La Isla, so for shoppers, it is ideally suited. Nearby is a wide variety of restaurants to suite every taste and budget. Just across the street was a store (not referring to the convenience market Oxxo but La Europea, located between the Plaza Kukulcan and Plaza La Isla) that carried a large variety of beers, wines, spirits and cigars as well as some specialty foods including bakery goods, cheese and a variety of meats. Transportation around Cancun is easy with the bus stop a few steps from the condo as well as taxis are available at the Plaza Kukulcan. Neither of which was expensive.

The service provided by Alex and Janeth was great, when a few minor issues arose and they were promptly handled. This is a private rental so do not expect a luxury resort. This was our fifth visit to Cancun and the first time we stayed at a private residence, we enjoyed it every bit as much our luxury hotel stays (stayed several times at the Hilton in beachfront villas, now Iberostar). The condo was equipped with all the basics and is comfortable (note it is comfortable but not luxurious). While the unit is located in the highest section of the property with lower buildings in front of it (so yes you will see the roof of these units), the view is beautiful (I have attached three photographs with the views from the balcony).

A few items to note, Unit 705 does not have a washer/dryer, vonage phone or the private rooftop patio as advertised. There is a pay laundry service on site but I have no idea of the costs as we did not use it.

Room Tip: One must remember that this is a rental unit in an apartment building rather than a resort, so set your expectations accordingly.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed in this unit January 11th to 18th. Not a bad place--nice beach, pool right on the beach, grocery and wonderful staff! Problem was that we though we booked and paid for another unit which had a private rooftop--got told the day we checked in someone was sick and we could not have that unit but when I complained a little because we paid top dollar and what we got was not really top dollar, far from it, the rental agent offered to ask the sick person to move. Wouldn't do that to anyone. Sorry, I'm 60 years old in April.

Complex was okay and in a nice location behind Plaza Kukulkan and a few minutes from La Isla Mall, beautiful outdoor shopping center but not really Mexican. Mostly Vuitton and other high-end stores but I did love Plaza La Fiesta where they had actual Mexican clothes, artwork, crafts.

People at Villas Marlin were nice. Security, grocery store, pool bartender were fun and friendly. But the unit needs work. Very stark and cold looking--not the Mexican art and furniture advertised. French luxury beds were old filthy mattresses, sorry, that's true--my friend will be sending me pictures and I will post. Not much in the way of plates or bowls--less than enough for four people. View was NICE--but, when looking out to the beautiful Caribbean, your view will be blocked with lower-level units so you'll look at lots of rooftops which kind of screwed it up.

It's an old complex so do not plan to flush toilet paper--you have to save it, and anything else, in wastebaskets and dump it at the end of the day. Kind of gross, but we were written a note a few days before arriving that said do not put anything in the toilets or they will overflow and cause huge plumbing bills. If you rent from them you will get this also. Since I've been going to Cancun since 1996 I am used to the older places having this problem. But I didn't like being told to turn off all lights when leaving, shut off air conditioners, light up the boiler when it goes out--for $1400 a week, actually, $1736 per week after taxes that the agent "forgot," and then an additional $500 security, we should have pretty much been able to leave on every light, A/C (wasn't really necessary--nice cool breeze in January)--that was MY APARTMENT for that week and we all paid better attention to it than the owners. 18 years in Cancun and never had a problem before this.

But that's okay. Although I was disappointed at my daughter being disappointed--it was her college grad present, it was a good lesson. From now on we are Royal Resorts only! I paid over $2200 for a dumpy place when I can get one at the Royals for $1000, $1100. My mistake. And I NEVER had a landlord try to take advantage in all of my years at Cancun, but in this case, I feel we were a little violated. My daughter said our landlord from Cali was sitting outside our apartment one night she came back from the pirate cruise and it scared her a little. She did not feel safe there. I did like our security but they should know the codes.

The landlord doubled his original price, gave us a different unit (with no rooftop patio, as advertised), charged us an addition $375 for taxes and cleaning and the only ones cleaning anything were us. GIVE ME A BREAK. And the finale--since we were told that there was no smoking in the unit (no problem--I spend most time outside on balconies!), we were sent a picture of wastebaskets with cigarette butts claiming "proof you smoked in condo." Un, no, actually proof we took the small plates we used on the balcony for ashtrays and brought them in every evening--per your instructions not to flush? Try again, buddy.

Basically, we were robbed of a lot of money. Positive note--I did get a couple of notes who were going to rent this unit but are now cancelling after seeing some of the pictures, and I didn't even include the mattresses yet as that is on another friend's id. VRBO should monitor its agents. Since 1996 I have NEVER had a problem and have stayed in places on a little higher scale than Villas Marlin. But now someone wants to steal a $500 damage deposit for damage that was never incurred? Excuse me, but I washed your sheets, towels--couldn't do much about the dirty, holy French luxury mattresses or the uncomfortable ugly brown sofas in the living room. Please get sofas with arms! Also, since we spent a lot of time on the balcony, I think you should make the best of it and get rid of those $5.99 chairs and tables. After an hour or two, they're very uncomfortable.

Windex--don't be without it. We sprayed our kitchen counter several times but you CANNOT leave one grain of sugar out or you will be inundated. Showers--boiler instructions upon arrival. Listen closely--ours went out many times. Don't think I had one nice warm shower down there thanks to that boiler. Definitely not worth half the price of the $1400 advertised. If you need more info, please feel free to e-mail me at frano429@aol.com. Katey--already responded to your questions. And anyone else, I'll send pictures.

On a positive note, great staff, great location and pool on beach. But you can probably find nicer places for much less. I was stupid this time and ruined my daughter's graduation present. She did not feel safe there at all and wanted to leave but it was too late to find somewhere else. However, other units look like they have nice furniture, hopefully clean mattresses and dishes and other things you would expect. All different landlords, all different types of apartments. Just be careful. I loved the Villas Marlin in some ways but can't trust organizations that allow agents to lie and ruin vacations of others. I work too hard for my money and do not like getting scammed. But this was a good lesson! :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank frano429
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just returned from a great week in Cancun from January 11th through January 18th. This was my second trip, & I think I love this city even more now than I did the first time when we went last year.

We stayed at a condominium in Villas Marlin, a great location behind the Plaza Kukulkan Mall, & walking distance to the really nice outdoor mall, La Isla. Overall, the condo was very nice. It might not have been as plush as what we stayed in last year at the Royal Islander, but the location, the beach, clean pools, & more than anything, the great staff, made for a wonderful vacation.

Since this was only my second trip to Cancun I can’t compare many resorts but can say that although the Royal Islander was very plush and fancy, the condo we had at Villas Marlin, Unit 707, was nice but a little less than we expected since we originally had rented another unit, 705, that had a private rooftop. Unfortunately, at the last minute we were moved because a tenant got sick so the one they gave us did not have the rooftop patio we looked forward to. However, it was a nice unit overlooking a very beautiful beach. The pools were clean & the staff was very helpful to all of us. There is a nice little grocery store downstairs and even though it seems small, they have all the basics—bread, eggs, butter, chips, salsa, beer, & even tequila. More than that, if you want something that they don’t have, they will go out of their way to get it for you. My friend smokes menthol cigarettes & even though they did not have them on the day we arrived, they actually went to another store to get them for her. Great people; can’t say enough about them. The shopkeepers’ son, Eduardo, runs the pool bar and he was fantastic also. It seems they never can do enough to keep you happy at this complex.

Security was also really good. Having read so many reports about the dangers in Mexico, I have to admit I was a little worried on my first trip, but the security in Cancun in general, & at Villas Marlin, was so good that I was probably less worried there than I am at home in upstate New York. While we didn’t get to know all of them too well, it was a good feeling that they were there 24-hours a day monitoring who was coming in or going out.

The only thing I would want to say about Villas Marlin is that you need to be careful when selecting a condo. Many people may live there permanently, but others rent out their units for several weeks during the year & all of the condos are different. Some may be well equipped & plush but others, like the one we rented, might not be what was written in the contract. No rooftop patio, not enough plates or silverware, and Mexican artwork? I am majoring in art therapy, & there was no artwork at all, which made it somewhat depressing because the condo looked so stark, but overall, it was okay. Also, in the summer, do not take the upstairs bedroom because you will probably sweat! The A/C is not good upstairs in this unit at all.

Definitely check out the pictures & contracts on VRBO before renting, & also the landlords. Our landlord is refusing the reimburse us $500 for the unit ($125 each, since there were four of us) & there was absolutely no damage to our condo, so you should check references before renting from anyone. This is a must. Just because they advertise does not mean they are legit. I personally felt creeped out to see our landlord planted outside of our 7th floor condo at 1 am looking for a “wi-fi” connection but again, there are different owners, different condos, & different managers.

Villas Marlin is a great place with a fantastic location, beach, & really nice people. Only remember that all of the condos are different as are the landlords. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Also, I will be reporting my opinions on the Captain Hook Boat (love it!), Senor Frogs (also love it!) & our golf cart tour of Isla Mujeres & lunch at El Castillo Garrafon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank onetwenty7
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had read good reviews about this place and about Alvin who is the manager. They were true. Through an error on my part we were staying a day later than what I had reseved at the Villas Marlin and everything was booked for that night. Alvin knew that rooms were hard to find over Christmas and he was so concerned that we may not be able to find a place to stay that he spoke to his wife about putting our whole group up in his home's two extra bedrooms and she graciously agreed. We did in fact find another room but show me another manager that would offer to put a group of stangers up in their own house if they had no place to stay. The location, pool, the view and the room was perfect for us. Within a six block walking radius you will find everything you will need from a Mcdonalds and Subway sandwiches through upscale restaurants and stores. It is a very safe area with guards contrlling access to the premises. There is a small convenient store on site.

Room Tip: we had room 611 and it was very good
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family