“Nice place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Bologna, Italy
“Nice place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and had a great time! The complex is nice, with free sunbeds and 3 swimming pools, exaclty in front of the ocean and on one of the most beautiful beaches in Cancun.
Our unit (434) was clean and pretty with a gorgeous ocean view. The only little note I can say regards air conditioning: it worked okay, but it's centralized for both the floors and it's not possible to regulate it with the consequence that upstairs it wasn't too cold and downstairs it was too much. Anyway, this was not a big problem for us since one of us prefers very cold and the other one not too cold :-)
We even had beach towels which were very useful!
They also have a cleaning service in certain days, but we didn't need it because we stayed only 3 days.
Near the complex there are buses which go to downtown in about half an hour, so it's a convenient location if you want to stay in front of the sea but going to downtown at the same time. And for urgent things, there are supermarkets nearby and good restaurants, so you don't even need to go to downtown.
So I thank the owner Mr. Frank John for his prompt reply in the reservation with all the information and instruction given and the housekeeper Landy for the good service!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our friends decided they were going to get married in Cancun so I started my research to find a place in Cancun. I decided to forgo exchanging our timeshare because I am not a big fan of the all inclusive requirements as I like to experience the local fare of the places we visit.

My search on trip advisor brought me to Villa Marlin as well as many other places. I was impressed by the quick response times to all my inquires. I still have not received responses from some of the other places. I read the a good majority of the reviews and there seemed to be much more positive reviews than negative reviews, so I felt safe in selected Villa Marlin.

There were some minor issues and the staff was quick to respond to our requests. It did not help that my wife and I were on the go and stayed two nights at the Dreams in Puerto Morales during our week at Villa Marlin.

The only downside was the air conditioner in the main living area upstairs did not cool the main living room when the windows blinds were left open. Thankfully, the air conditioner in the bedroom worked well so we were comfortable when we were sleeping.

This is a good place to stay if you do not like the all inclusive requirements on many of the other hotels and if you plan to just use the unit as a place to sleep. The property is okay, however, it does not compare to many of the local resorts. After all, the pool area closes around 8pm or so.

The location is close to everything you need. We had a car, but having a car is not a requirement as it is off the main street and there are taxis and buses available.

Would I stay at the Villa Marlin property again: Maybe as my would probably put more consideration into exchanging one of my timeshare weeks for a 5-star resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RSquared_SD
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I travel to Cancun a great deal for work (self-employed) and have always overpaid the hotels during my visits. The facilities at Villas Marlin were very clean, comfortable, functional and convenient. Not to mention right on the ocean! The management was attentive to any need that arose and I will definitely be staying there on my future trips. Another large benefit is the existence of multiple restaurants nearby to visit or to order delivered to the room. Thank you Alvin for such great service and a great value proposition. Saludos!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank frequentvisitor2013
iluvplaya68
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Me and my Family and extended Family stayed at the Villas Marlin for 4 days. We rented 434, 435, and 436. They were all three two-bedroom condos with a balcony overseeing the ocean. It's not a 5-star, of course. But the units were a good size, had kitchen, had a cleaning lady, and the resort is gated.

There were 3 different pools, although we always stayed at one of them. And it is RIGHT ON the Beach!! We found parasailing right in front of the resort.

For the price we rented it, it was Awesome!! There was wi-fi in our units and the AC was cold!! We never had to contact the owners or the cleaning lady because we were always running around doing tours. It is right behind the mall. And there were plenty of taxis or busses within very short walking distance.

So, feel confident in renting from Frank John and Jacky!

I hope to go back next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank iluvplaya68
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in unit 715 penthouse June 5th to 15th. I have traveled to Cancun 23 times and this was one of my best. This unit has everything there is to offer. Best view of the best beach I have ever stayed on and a roof top deck with hot tub. There is nothing better than watching the sun rise and set while sitting on the deck with a cold drink.
We felt like we had our own 2 story apartment in Cancun. The wife could sleep in while I went down stairs to check email and watch TV. The kitchen has everything you need to feel right at home. At night you could sit out on the deck and hear very little noise.
The service provided by Alvin is beyond excellent. All thought we didn’t need much help because everything was perfect in the unit I did have a few questions such as where do put trash ETC. Alvin was quick to respond and double check to make sure we happy.
There is only one bad thing about staying here that is eventually you need to leave to go home.
This is by far the best deal in Cancun. Close to bus line. Close to the mall. Right on the beach.

Room Tip: You wont be sorry.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TerryH14
Owensboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife, Lorie & I spent May 6-11-2013, in Villa #715, this is a penthouse with its own private roof top patio with a hot tub on the roof top, amazing views of the Caribbean Sea & the bay.
It has a kitchen, dinning/living area with HD flat screen tv, a great view of the Caribbean Sea from the balcony, a bedroom on the same floor with a hd flat screen tv & a private balcony, with the same view as the balcony off the living room, this room has very cold air conditioning & plenty of closet space.
There is a bathroom on this floor with a sink & of bath tub.
Upstairs is the master bedroom with a king size bed a hd flatscreen tv plenty of closet space a private balcony with a great view of the Caribbean Sea, The air conditioning was not as cool as the bedroom on the lower level, the master bathroom with two sinks & a walk in shower, the door in the hall way upstairs leads to your private roof top patio with a hot tub, great to work on your tan during the day & at night great experience relaxing in the hot tub under the stars & moon feeling the cool breeze coming of the sea.
The entire condo has free wireless internet with great reception through out, they also provide free long distance phone calling through Vontage.
There are three pools on the property placed right on the beach, the large adult pool is like an infinty pool, very large & great view of the beach & sea.
They have a snack bar at poolside where you can order tacos, hot dogs, hamburgers soft drinks & beer & mixed drinks Edward will even deliver to you in your Villa, as well as a store on site ran by Edwards parents with plenty to choose from.
The Kukulcan Plaza is a one minute walk with at least 200 stores & several restaurants
The best for last, yes you get all of the above mentioned but the most memorable experience of our trip was meeting Alvin & Fernando our host now our friends, they were waitng for us in the parking lot to greet us & help us with our luggage they escorted us to our Villa gave us a tour explained all that they had to offer, helped us set up the internet connection for our lap top, made sure we had multiple ways to reach them.
Informed Alvin that our shower did not have good water pressure, had new shower head in less than 30 minutes.
On tue. we were shopping at a mall on the strip, I fell & bamged up my knees, Alvin & Fernando picked us up in Alvin's Hummer & helped me back to our Villa, later that evening I went ot the pool to relax & work on my knees arounf 7:00 pm, my wife Lorie said to me look & there was Fernando at poolside just checking up on me to see how I was feeling.
One day I asked both of them about a sea food restaurant, told them I wanted some fresh grouper, Alvin said be downstairs at 5:30 pm, when Lorie & I went down to the parking lot there was Alvin & Fernando ready to escort us in Alvin's Hummer to the the Captains Cove, Alvin escorted us to the front desk to make sure they our table ready for us that he had reserved earlier.
I know that I was long winded in this review but this vacation was one that Lorie & I will remember for the rest our live.
God Bless,
Mike & Lorie Thomas

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Coachmike51
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit to Villa Marlins and it feels like coming home! You will not find a better host then Alvin! Not only did he give us a great price  for the apartment but he also helped us out with other things. He let us use a free apartment to do our laundry in, he helped my sister scan documents for travel insurance and then he gave us his personal collection of movies to watch. He was always happy to help us out!  You will not find better value for your money in Cancun!  The apartments are right on the beach. You wake up to a water view every morning and a beuatiful sunset each evening. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. It has everything you need! We wanted to cook meals at home and the kitchen was well stocked. The location is great too. Nice restaurants, bars and shopping all close by. You can also use the bus to get around, it's cheap and the bus station is less then a 5 minute walk away! Fernando can also help get VIP passes to clubs in cancun for a great price. We had been sick so didn't take hime up on his offer otherwise we would have. The apartments are perfect  for friends, family and couples! You won't regret booking at Villa Marlins!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Esthermia83
OVATC, Manager at Villas Marlin, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
This client gave us the highest rating of 5...so why, you might ask , am I writing a response. Every once in a while I post this response to ensure that it is read by persons wishing to explore the possibility of a Vacation Rental.

This is not really a response, per se, it is an information note and explanation of how "Apartment Rentals" work, so that, as you decide whether to book with a hotel or a condo rental, you can have a realistic idea of the differences between the two. This is especially helpful when you look at an operation like ours where the lines between the two lodging "types" get blurred a bit.

There are many reasons to consider a condo....more spacious accommodations, full kitchens to prepare your own meals, greatly reduced costs for families and the family stays together...and usually it is a quieter, less crowded environment without the constant activity and people attempting to entertain you....also there are no time share meetings or sales pitches.....basically you are renting a home....not a room. But there are trade offs....

The first area is services...a hotel has a huge staff.... a night staff and someone to take your call 24/7.... typically a condo comes with no staff. The owner may have a maid that cleans, but in most cases, the owner is not even in the same city...or in the case of Mexico, the same country. So, if your desire is to have someone on call at all times, a condo is not for you.

Now, while we do have a small staff, it is day service and night emergency. Some requests may have to wait until the following day. Absentee owners have this problem amplified because they must rely on others to take care of problems that arise. Also, a condo rental relies on the services of vendor partners ....we think ours are pretty good....but because they are not part of the "staff" we must sometimes wait for services a little longer than a hotel.

The bottom line is that while we REALLY impress those folks that have rented condos before, with our custom designed service request "app", accessibility and prompt service, those used to a five star, all inclusive hotel may find they require more. We certainly understand and appreciate this and hope that before you decide to rent a condo that you decide the things most important to YOU, before making your lodging choice.

Condo Rentals are not for everyone, just as all inclusive hotel vacations are not. Only you can decide what is most important. Your vacation is a time for you to enjoy. The first step in achieving that enjoyment is choosing the correct lodging option for your taste, budget and expectations.