“Very disappointed”

Ranked #41 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Fox Creek, Canada
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Attempted to upgrade room upon arrival at an extra cost. While I was doing so the room was booked out to someone else who was behind me in line. I was given keys to that persons room opened the door and obviously the people in the room were wondering how I had access. Went back to front desk and they put me in another room walking to the room and I watched someone exit the room I was supposed to stay in. This raised a huge security concern and once I complained the front desk personal seemed to think it was funny. They eventually gave me the upgrade for free the next day after dragging our luggage all over the resort. I also found multiple hairs around the sink and toiletries. Not to mention the food being horrible almost un edible. I could go on but over all it was a very poor experience

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank canadian-Berta
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Canadian-Berta;

First at all i want to thank you for your time, we really appreciate your comments those help us to keep improving better service for all of you, let apologize for the inconveniences you had it, I had the chance to spoke with my staff of the front desk let them know the important of the concentration of their jobs in particular where the security and privacy of the client is involve more that funny face the were embarrassed feel sorry for your appreciation. Regarding the room cleanness had the opportunity the mentioned in our morning meeting with the maids staff a point to remark, same way with my chefs to improve our buffets.

Once again thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have just returned tonight from an amazing week at the Barcelo with my girlfriend and my best friend and his wife. The first thing I did when I got home is looking online to return in June:) We all loved it! First off the staff are the most friendliest we have yet to encounter in Mexico. I wanna thank Lourdes at the front desk for making our check in so smooth. Tere our maid I never had my room so spotless. Esther and Fransisco the best wait staff that went out of their way. Marcos, Aurturo our fabulous bar tenders, try a Toasted Almond they are the bomb! A shout out to my entertainment team. Gustavo, Jamie, Michelle. They entertained us non stop. Everyone was just amazing. We got an Ocean View Balcony room in the newer tower. It was clean and we had a spectacular view of the water. Only two things about the room that could be improved. Our toilet seemed to be a two flushes to work and the tile in the shower was not installed properly as the water would not drain, it pooled up. No big deal. The food was really great and I enjoyed the buffets, I actually gained weight it was that good;) The sit down restaurants even better. No tummy troubles I'm happy to report. The beach was just awesome, water is rough so swim with caution. I was happy to share some magic with the guests and staff my friend is also a magician so we performed through the week. Charlie the Magician is really cool and be sure to check out his workshop. The shows where entertaining don't miss Michael Jackson and Magic show featuring Enigma. The karaoke was a blast. If you are going here expect a relaxing vacation. A few suggestions. If your a smoker please don't use the beach as your ash tray! Really sad people do this. Please, please remember to tip the staff as they work so hard to take care of us. I took care of everyone that served us and saw so many that did not tip. Management please consider getting better beach loungers, the plastic is uncomfortable and many where broken. Be nice to have some huts on the Beach to shade from the sun.
I'm sad to be home as I miss Cancun but I will be back very soon. Thanks Barcelo

4 Thank Michael A
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Barceló Tucancun during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.
With best regards,
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were there for 4 days, 3 nights. The only positives about this hotel are the location, the beach and the pools... and the bartender at the "lobby bar" working on Thursday, May 1st. He was wonderful and so friendly but I forgot his name.

Now for the negatives. Check in and check out is an absolute nightmare. There were a million people in the lobby and 2 girls behind the desk. The last thing we wanted to do was waste an hour of our time waiting on line after a long flight. The girls in the front were extremely rude and unfriendly. I had called 2 weeks before, as well as putting it in writing, that our 3 rooms (there was 5 of us traveling) be put next to each other. They said they were unable to do this, so they were going to put us in all different locations throughout the hotel. I complained, so they upgraded us to a villa.

The food was totally disgusting and not edible. There were flies flying all over the food at the buffet. I basically ate chips and salsa for 4 days straight. The drinks were also very weird tasting. We ordered a beer at the swim-up bar, and it tasted like a dead skunk. We were getting so sick of the fruity drinks, so we ordered wine, and it tasted like apple cider vinegar and was hot. The fruity drinks were also watered down, even after tipping each time. We ended up having to eat off the hotel one night and spend more money. Our rooms were also not cleaned one of the days, and there was ants in one of our rooms. The walls are also paper thin, and you can hear everything happening in the room next to yours. There was young children screaming and running around.

The icing on the cake was when we were checking out. Again, there was a ton of people waiting to be checked out. We booked our transfers through Amstar (private round trip transfers to hotel and airport), and the transfer left without us! We were probably 10 minutes late because we had to carry all of our luggage from our room to the front desk and still had to check out, and they would not wait for us even though it was a private transfer and it was perpaid!!! Such a scam! The front desk could careless. We ended up having to take a taxi for $80.

In addition, one of my friends is allergic to gluten and e-mailed 2 weeks prior to the trip about gluten free options. No one ever answered her. The lady at the front desk working on 5/4/14 around 10am laughed in her face after my friend complained that she suffered from stomach issues the whole trip due to eating foods with gluten.

All in all, spend a little more money and stay somewhere else with good food and drinks with nice, friendly people who work at the front desk. The front desk was the worst part of this entire trip.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kab1988
Dear Kab 1988;

Thank you for your comments and feedback, I found unhappy client with the way you wrote you opinion; feel sorry for the inconveniences you had it. We are a team ready to attend our client in house, it is hard to believe someone eating chips for their entire trip as you mentioned, I looks nothing it was on the right track of your expectation my deeply sorry, I will considerer the actions for the points you commented. Also we understand that at the beginning of your journey you pass thru a lot of lines at airport a so on and the hotel is the last line to have to do, we try our best to welcome our guest and do it quickly but there´s points we have to cover in the process of check in, we´re sorry for the inconvenient.
Warm regards,

Podemos decirle que desde el principio de su viaje viene hacienda filas y lamentablemente la ultima fila es la que califican, y el trato que damos es personalizado.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have just spent 9 days at this family friendly hotel. Room was excellent, food was very good and the evening entertainment was super. Staff were all very professional especially in the Mallorca Restaurant where they were were particularly good with a special mention for Kenia and Aquilas, two of the managers who were very attentive. Would recommend it to all. Nigel and Alex.

2 Thank Nigel H
Dear Customer
It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.

With best regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had nothing but great service from the staff at Barcelo Tucancun. We had a king bed with an ocean view. Room was clean but this view was good, but not great since it sat back a little.
The breakfast was good (how can you ruin breakfast), the lunch was cafeteria style, but for Dinner we went to the isolated restaurants and the food there was very good (Seafood at one, Authentic Mexican at the other).
The hotel had a bottle of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us.
I'd say as long as you tip the help you will be treated like royalty! The staff works their butts off all day everyday.

1 Thank Jeff P
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Barceló during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Barcelo was very pleasant and we enjoyed every minute of it. The view from our room was amazing and the hotel was very nice overall. We enjoyed the food, drinks, activities. The pool bar was our favorite. The staff is very friendly and hardworking. Jaime, one of the guys from the entertainment team, came out to the clubs with us making sure we are safe and are enjoying our time. He also advised us on which clubs to go to and showed us around town. He was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Barcelo and will probably consider it as a resort of our choice if we return to Cancun.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Juliana H

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Traveled to Cancun April 2014. Had an excellent stay at the facility. The grounds and the view were GORGEOUS. The view from my room was beach facing and the breeze came through the window every night. While I was there I had the most excellent service imaginable. From the servers, waitresses, front desk. One that stood out was Fanny Pech, she was remarkable and very kind. Beach access was second to none, several pools, and adults only area, and very close to anything downtown. Excursions sold directly from hotel. I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends