“First time Barcelo but question ever again....”

Occidental Tucancun
Ranked #40 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This resort has all potential to be a solid 4.5 star resort but seem happy with continuing to keep certain standards which will always keep it a 3 star. The first week of February I suffered a "very mild" heart attack and was in need of rest so my husband and I waited until I had doctor's permission to travel and booked on Thursday night to leave for Cancun on the Saturday.
We arrived in Cancun, had trouble with our luggage getting to us in a timely manner, got outside and had no transportation to our resort. But not the hotels fault for that.

We finally arrived at the resort were welcomed by the front desk staff (not getting the welcome drink as advertised either)and made it to our room. When getting to our room we were given a 2 doubles instead of the king requested. Nothing wrong with the room itself but went down to request and upgrade. Upgrade to oceanveiw would be an extra 38 US per day , I said that was fine and was instructed to come back in the morning to arrange for our new room.

This resort is absolutely fantastic, very clean , and the wait staff cater to your every need as allowed.

However this is where things start to fall apart, went for the upgrade was told no rooms available after being assured there would be one in the morning. Finally after 2 days of asking I decided to just keep the room we had, again nothing wrong with the room I just wanted a room facing the ocean. The food is what will keep this resort from ever being a 4+ , in my opinion that was the only downfall. The buffets are not bad but very repetitive, and try to hard to be fancy instead of just serving good quality items. Breakfast is interesting and if you are looking for bacon STOP because there isn't any. If you are lucky they may have some bacon bits and pieces hidden with the cook that you can have in your omelette but that's if your lucky and she let's you have some. The food in the serving dishes are lukewarm rather you are there when the restaurant first opens or an hour later, only expect hot food if it is cooked right in front of you. As for supper same thing pretty much every night just a different name on it , for example, beef in a red wine sauce, served the next night as beef in a mushroom sauce. No imagination, stop trying to be fancy and work on the quality please.
After 3 days we started to just go off the resort for meals. On the up side the soups offered in the buffets were fantastic. I cannot comment on the Al a carte's as we did not partake in them.

The wait and room staff are always friendly and are 5star quality. Front end staff are cordial but no sense of urgency at any time.

Now the reason for my biggest disappointment and the reason I question ever returning to a Barceló property. Tuesday evening after returning from dinner we got to our room and found a piece of paper with our room number on it and it was written in Spanish or myan not sure which so I took it to the front desk and asked what it was. There I was told that it was a "special valentine's promotion" an upgrade to Barceló Beach resort in Riviera Maya for February 14th at no extra cost.
I asked to see it written in English and the next day I was given the English version. I spoke to Adrianna and told her that I was not willing to go unless she assured me that our room would in fact be ready when we arrived as it was valentines day, and it is a special day for my husband and I. I also stated that I would like to leave early enough in the morning to be able to enjoy the whole day at the resort . Adrianna, with a smile on her face, said she had called the Maya resort and they assured her our room would be ready, do not worry. I agreed to the move and told her what time we would like to leave.
On Fri morning our transportation arrived and there happened to be 6 other couples waiting for the drive for the "special promotion". That should have been my first clue that the day was ruined but was thinking everything would be fine because Adrianna ASSURED me it would be.

The drive is about an hour or so from start to finish not bad at all. We arrived at the Barceló Maya Beach Premium resort only to be told there were no rooms available and they did not know that we were even coming and we could not get a room until 3pm !!!! After enough of us argued the staff frustrated, as well they should have been, said some rooms might be available at 10am, proceeded to give us our bracelets so we could eat breakfast at least while we wait.
I will tell you right now I would have never agreed to anything but was ASSURED all would be taken care of .
We had breakfast and I must say Tucancun just needs to use the Maya Beach menu and all would be good. 10 came and went and still no room, tried to get a sitting for a al a carte and was told there was not any available for that evening. I was so disappointed, here we were on valentines day with no room and no special dinner for two as planned, at least if we would have stayed in Cancun we could have gone out to dinner but at this resort you are not near anywhere else to go. Long story short we finally got our room , again 2 doubles instead of the king requested, and spent our special day in a buffet room for dinner. Thank you Adrianna and Barceló resorts for wrecking what should have been a wonderful day for my husband and I.

So if you ever receive one of these so called special promotions odds are the hotel was overbooked and it was not a promotion at all just their way of making room for new guests.

I still must give credit to Adrianna she can lie straight to your face and do it with a smile on her face . We were not the only couple that were told everything was arranged and like us some of the others said they would have just stayed where we were if we knew this is how it was going to turn out.

Tucancun lovely resort, but I hate being deceived and so will others, again thank you for ruining what should have been a special day.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a Oceanveiw FACING the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RRichards0516
Write a ReviewReviews (5,566)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

so i made it back to Cancun Mexico this past december. Unfortuneatly i did not get to stay at Barcelo as they were fully booked. i almost changed the date of my trip just so i could get into barcelol lol. Instead we stayed at the Royal Solaris. this time we took the kids so we thought it would be a good hotel since they had a kids club. but let me tell you.. id never go back! the whole time we were there i kept wishing i was at Barcelo.. i even took the bus down to the mall by Barcelo and wanted to go in so bad!!!!

1st off royal solaris was big it was nice but just not the same. the room was average.. nothing special.. and we paid extra for an ocean view room and we didnt even have a balcony! and the condensation in the room was crazy you couldnt even open the window at all.

2nd. the pool area was nice, there were multiple connecting pools. they had an outside restaurant that had burgers fries and fresh made pizza which the kids like. however, even though the outside food bar was nice and it was convenient to eat by the pool with the kids... there were tons of birds and seagulls flying around pooping on the chairs and steeling you food. The entertainment staff was horrible! they made rude jokes and comments to people that were not funny, they were very arrogant and spent most of the day flirting with each other. they even the kick the kids out of the kiddie pool so they can play games with the grown ups. At barcelo they had a great lunch restaurant enclosed with a view of the pool. the pools were so nice and they had a family pool and an adult pool separated from one another. There was no food outside so no birds and poop! and the entertainment staff was awesome.they played with the kids and included them in the games. they were very friendly and mature. they were good fun!

3d- at royal solaris it felt like the only had restaurant and they served the same food everyday... there were no options and nothing different. whatever we had for dinner we had for breakfast and dinner the next day and so on. the kids ate cereal everyday for dinner and fruit. also there were no dress restrictions in the restaurants. people were walking around in bikins and no clothes on while we were eating and with young kids. the staff was not very friendly or helpful other than one guy who was great and made the kids chicken one night when it wasnt on the menu. At barcelo complete opposite. they had 4 different restaurants.. they switched up the food every night, you had to be fully clothed to go into the restaurants and the service was amazing. Everyone was so friendly and so helpful...especially one in particular Will Avilez! I still remember his name and its been almost a year! but he was great, spoke great english.. was so helpful and friendly. her made us laugh, he told us about barcelo and cancun- great places to shop. he was great and def made the experience more comfortable and enjoyable :)

overall i have to say that Barcelo is still my favorite resort in Cancun.. i def want to go back and love seeing their pictures on facebook. it was way better than royal solaris.. the hotel, the service and the beach. i still cant wait to go back to barcelo..and if they are booked i will wait till i get a spot! and hopefully will is still there!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JJ R
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear JJ R

We appreciate your comments about our hotel, we hope you can visit us soon, this is your home, we would feel very honored to welcome you so please let us know about your next trip, to make it better .

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Barcelo Tucancun is a great resort to stay at when visiting Cancun Mexico. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are very spacious with great views. The beaches are beautiful. The staff were very friendly and willing to do what they could to make our stay fun. The restaurants had wonderful food and excellent service. The servers took great care of us during meals times, especially our waiter Wil Avilez. He always had a smile on his face and made sure everything was perfect for us. Thank you to everyone at Barcelo Tucancun for making my first trip to Mexico an unforgettable one, and a special thank you to Wil Avilez for his excellent service during our stay. I will definitely return to Barcelo Tucancun for future vacation trips!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Janet-Marie D

Thank you for choosing Barceló during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Reviewed February 19, 2014

A friend and I traveled here in January of 2014. It was a last minute, "on a whim" trip. We didn't have much time to research hotels but got a great deal through Expedia to stay at Barcelo Tucancun Beach. We had both been to Mexico before several times, but mostly the Riviera Maya area, and were not sure what to expect. Of course the Beach was amazing, and the hotel accommodations were very good. What really made our trip wonderful was the amazing staff. Especially those who organized activities for the Hotel. We had a great time participating in Volleyball, Water Polo etc... Special thanks and shout outs to Albierto, Michelle and Gustavo! Thanks for making our trip that much more special! I would def recommend to a friend and would love to return soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ClairissaMT

Dear ClairissaMT

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just got back from 6 days at the Barceló Tucancun and had a wonderful time. Beach was beautiful and staff was very kind. Can't wait to go back. This was our 4th time at this resort. Love it there. Hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patricia M
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Patricia M

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family of 6 stayed at this wonderful resort from Jan 23-Feb 3, 2014. Had a fantastic time at this hotel. We are seasoned travellers, and will definitely return to this one again. Thank you Barcelo (especially Adriana Luna) for welcoming us like we are family.

• Location; 20 min drive from airport.

• This was our first trip to Cancun, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. And will
definitely be going back to this resort, We can honestly say we made good friends with
a large number of staff and look forward to our return.

• Rooms/Staff: Upon checking, there was a glitch, our family didn’t get rooms together (although
it was requested upon booking), and we were told nothing available together. So after two
nights, Adriana Luna intervened, she went out of her way to make us her priority, and ensured
that we got what we needed. Clearly showed what a great employee Adriana is, and how well
she represented Barcelo. Barcelo surely is lucky to have her on board. Also need to mention
that Selene Maldorado and Maria Cario at the front desk have good customer service, and
pleasant to talk to. The Lobby bar staff were amazing too, always happily making us non-
alcoholic drinks (as we don’t drink alcohol). Also the lady who makes the eggs for breakfast at
the Mallorca is great. Overall all staff are great!

• Food: Charly (Carlos) Vazquez – Head Waiter – Mallorca Buffet Restaurant (A.M.) also has
good customer service. Was always welcoming and chatting with guests. When he found out
that we are vegetarians, but eat fish only. He catered to our needs. He made sure that we never
went hungry at lunch, always prepared something for our family when we went for lunch. E.g.
Told him don’t like Grouper, and many vegetables/salads have ham in it, he happily prepared
veges without ham and another kind of fish etc. Buffet has something for everyone. And if you
are vegetarians, simply let Carlos know, he will take good care of you. Both Mexican and
Seafood Restaurants are excellent (has variety of choices on menu). We never had problem
getting reservation. There is also Spanish and Italian on alternate nights – we didn’t try these.

• Pool/Beach: was great. Beach on this resort is gorgeous and beautiful. White sand and
turquoise water. Sometimes waves are intense, but there is a Lifeguard always on duty, which
is great if you have kids. Know it annoys people when they hear the whistle (if they go a little
in) esp when there are high waves - but they are just doing their job, and want to make sure
you are safe.

• Grounds: The property is very well maintained, everything is clean, manicured and painted. The
beach is raked every morning, pool/beds/chair is scrubbed every night, they pay attention to
detail.

• Recreational Sports: There is no gym, only one tennis court, can play anytime for free during
day (take balls with you), you pay if you need lights. There is a ping pong table by the pool –
just ask if you want it.

• Activities and Nightly Shows are good.

Extras:
The staff were so friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay as incredible. There is Kukulcan Plaza right in front of the hotel, another one called Isla Mall is 5 mts walk, and a bus #R2 or R15 that will take you to Market 28 or Walmart for US$1, pesos also accepted.

I would highly recommend this wonderful hotel with great staff to anyone travelling to Cancun. And vacation is what one makes of it. This may not be a 5 star hotel, but the staff truly went above and beyond to make sure we had a 5 star experience.

I have read a lot of negative reviews about this place, and I have to say our experience says something else, so you have to try and see for yourself. This was by far one of our best trips ever. I want to thank all the wonderful people that work at the resort - you guys rock, and are truly awesome!

Special thanks to Adriana who made our vacation memorable:)

The Sheikh's

Room Tip: Rooms with balconly -- Oceanview are great. Floors 6-7 have good view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shewana S
mpgiesemann, marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Iluv2travel2Toronto

Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our activities, restaurants, since we work really hard to make sure our guests have an amazing time with us. Also, it is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Best regards.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you love the beach, Cancun is definitely the place to go but not necessarily this hotel. Don't get me wrong the hotel was okay and my husband and I tend to migrate toward the Barcelo chain when we travel, but this hotel was not beach friendly. Let me start with the rooms. Our room was nice, but it was ocean view with no balcony. In order to get a balcony you had to upgrade your room. We thought that with an ocean view room we had upgraded, but apparently not. I'm grateful that we had the ocean view because the other side of the hotel looks onto the back of the mall, but I have never stayed at a resort with no balconies on the ocean side. The windows don't open either, they have them blocked so that they can not be opened, my husband forced it open but it wasn't long before maintenance showed up, fixed the window and scolded him for opening it, so it's very hard to enjoy the ocean view through a closed window and no balcony (unless you want to pay more). The walls in the rooms are very thin and we could hear everything going on next door and in the hallway, not great at night when the party crowd is returning to their rooms. The mini bar was stocked daily and we always had a clean room, fresh towels, hot water and lots of pillows, but if you want the 4 star experience that is advertised, you have to upgrade.
The food was good but it has been our experience in the past at Barcelo, that the buffet usually have theme nights, food from different countries each night (German, Mexican, Italian etc.) but each day at the buffet was the same. We ate at the seafood a la carte one night which was very disappointing. If you go to an a la carte, make it the Mexican.
The grounds at this hotel are lovely and the staff work very hard to keep the hotel beautiful and they do a great job. Several pools and bars and great staff. Drinks were good but take your own glasses.
My biggest complaint about this hotel is the lack of attention to guests who enjoy the beach. To start with there are no cabanas on the beach. I love laying on the beach, reading and listening the waves but sometimes you need a break from the sun and there is no retreat but to move up to the pool area or your room. I don't enjoy the pool areas. Too loud and too much activity and I like to relax. There is no bar or bathroom near the beach. In order to get a drink or to go pee you have to clean your feet off and walk quite a distance. The closest bar is by the pool on the hotel side and usually had quite a line up. It would have been nice to have a bar on the beach side of the hotel where you easily get a cocktail without it being an event. I understand from one of the returning patrons of this hotel that the reason for this is to keep the vendors away, and it works. Some, but not a lot of vendors on the beach. But vendors don't bother me, I think they add character (like Cheapy Willy at the Barcelo Puerto Plata).
Cancun has a gorgeous beach. My husband and I spent everyday walking it and laying in the sun enjoying the ocean sound and smells but each time you wanted a drink or pee you had to make the hike up to the bar or bathroom it was annoying. Maybe it's a good thing, we probably drank less.
Another annoyance (and this was quite irritating) on the beach was the lifeguards, don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they do, but the water at Cancun is ankle deep for 3 miles out and we spent the days listening to these control freaks blow whistles every time someone went to far out (even if they were only up to their ankles) or near a red flag area, you could swim to the right or left of the red flag but not directly in line with the red flag?? We walked this beach quite a bit and went swimming in several areas, never heard a whistle blown until we returned to our hotel. My husband wanted to relocate the whistles to the other end of the lifeguards digestive tract, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, enough said. I would highly recommend Cancun as a great vacation spot and will surely return but probably not to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade or ask for the north or south tower, not the center tower!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmlandrn04

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to record your feedback here on Tripadvisor. I appreciate the time and consideration for other travelers you have taken in sharing your opinions on the areas of the hotel that you enjoyed and those areas of which you feel that we could use improvement.

We are very sorry that we dont meet your expectations in areas that are out of our control. In the other hand im glad there are some areas of the hotel that you enjoy.

I hope you give us the oportunity to host you again in the near future

kind regards’