I've stayed in Barcelo hotels in Mexico and Latin America, am a member of MyBarcelo, and have never had to write a bad review. Unfortunately Barcelo Tucancun Beach was a big disappointment from beginning to end:
Drove up to the entrance (which is hard to find) and no one came to open doors or assist with luggage. We had to unpack ourselves while the door staff watched us. I then had to ask where to park. No offer of valet or even a friendly advice as to where to leave the car.
At reception there was a line, with only two people on the desk. We waiting about 30 minutes to even be checked in. No apology, no courtesy.
The room looked good although the sliding door was almost impossible to open to get out to the balcony, the air conditioning didn't work and we had to call someone twice to get hot water in the bathroom.
The food never changed and we were only there 2 days. Had we stayed longer I'd have eaten out for every meal.
Internet is not included and there is no business centre for flight checkins and printing boarding passes etc. First hotel I have stayed in for years without internet and/or a business centre.
There are some good things -
the beach is awesome, the view from the ocean view rooms is wonderful (although that would be hard to mess up in Cancun) and Selene on the front desk was very kind. She was the only staff member who was not rude and on departure let me use their computers behind the checkin desk to print my boarding passes.
I am surprised at the good reviews this hotel gets. I can only assume we were very unlucky or I am used to better hotels and expect better service.
What I have never understood about Barcelo hotels is although you can register in their online club MyBarcelo and stay regularly in their various hotels, they never know who you are and never seem to have your details in their system. If you go to a Four Seasons or a Hilton for example they welcome you by name and give you a personal and attentive season. I would have thought these little touches help when customers have so much choice.
I would never go back to Barcelo Tucancun Beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well located, with spectacular beach, mostly all the rooms looking for the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Occidental Tucancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Hotel Cancun
- Barcelo Hotel Tucancun Beach
- Barcelo Tucancun Beach Hotel
- Tucancun Hotel
- Cancun Barcelo
- Barcelo Tucancun Beach Resort