“Great entertainment team!”

Ranked #42 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great entertainment team!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this resort for 10 days. Cancun is amazing i'd definitely return, however, not to this hotel again. The hotel has good and bad points:

GOOD - The entertainment team are amazing!! Ulises, Enrique and Elena. Always have games etc in the pool everyday such as bingo and water polo which are good for all ages. They take you out on a night to the clubs in Cancun (on a free coach) and make sure you're well looked after with a big supply of drinks all night. They can't do enough for you and are 100% the best thing about this hotel.

Hotel staff - All the staff are very friendly, although the more you tip, the more they will do for you. The only negative comment I can say about the staff is that the check-in process was extremely slow (and after a 10 hour flight it's the worst thing ever!) and the man on the front reception did not apologise for our wait.

Cleanliness - The hotel and rooms are always so clean, cleaners come round everyday and fill the fridge up (free of charge). Cleaners are probably the best people to tip as I could imagine they'd be on a shocking wage!

Location - The hotel is situated on the beach and in walking distance of a big shopping centre with a pharmacy and a Burger King in ;). There's a bus stop and taxis right outside.

Night time entertainment - We only went to see the magician who was amazing!

Beach/pool towels are provided

A lot of people on the reviews complained about the air conditioning not being cold enough. In our case the room was sometimes too cold which is a good thing in the Mexican heat!

BAD points -

Food - We were not expecting the food to be amazing as it's an all inclusive but the food here is very repetitive and below average. Breakfast is strange as they were serving a lot of fried food, lunch is basically pizza, chips and burgers everyday. Dinner is horrible. The whole holiday I ate: Bread, cheese and croissants. One night they had Chinese food on. I wish they would have informed us of this as i cannot stand Chinese food, so i had to eat bread. I would say the food in this hotel is rubbish for a picky eater (like me) or children. Do not visit the Mexican restaurant it is disgusting!

Wi-fi - Is very expensive. My friend got free wifi for three days as the swimming pool dyed her hair green at the ends. It has rubbish signal and i would definitely not pay for it.

Pools - Do not take expensive bikinis or swimming costumes. The chlorine turned our bikinis a green/yellow colour which does not wash out.

Overall the only thing that would bring me back to this hotel is the location and the entertainment team. Avoid if you enjoy food!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Olivia L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Turkish first
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've been coming to this hotel since before it was owned by Barcelo. I have always had a pleasant experience here. It may not be the fanciest, with the most posh rooms or exquisite restaurants... but honesrly, you shouldn't be coming to Mexico if you're looking to spend it all indoors, anyways.

The staff is very friendly and always, I mean ALWAYS, willing to help you. Doesn't matter what time of the day or night. The hotel is very clean, with a good varying choice of food at the 3 restaurants. The menu's change daily, so there really is something for everyone. (Again its not 5 star dining. If you need 5 star food, go to the Ritz down the road). If there is an issue with your room, which is NOT common, maintenance is prompt and efficient.

I go to Cancun to have an enjoyable experience in a hotel that is clean, friendly, comfortable, and not overwhelming in size... that also has access to the beach. Barcelo Tucancun delivers every single year. I will be back next spring for another week.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book to request an ocean view. The Lagoon is nice, but nothing beats the ocean fi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jody8881
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Jody

It was a pleasure to have you with us, We are very happy to know you had an amazing time , we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Warm Regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The only reason I gave this resort a 3 is because the staff is great and the place is pretty clean. Other than that the hotel is a little out dated and the food is HORRIBLE!!.. Me and my girlfriend just came back from our week long stay, we travel to all inclusives at least once a year this by far was the worst! The food is pretty much the same almost everyday they just switch which buffet it is served in. One morning I was eating a yogurt from one of the buffets and when I looked at the date I realize the yogurt had expired 2 weeks ago! The food had no flavor and was poorly prepared I pretty much lived off of mashed potatoes and bread we had to order out 3 nights that we were there just because we were so hungry. One night I came back from the club at 4am and I got stuck inside the elevator with another women for 15 minutes, she told me the same thing happened to her the night before. Also, I had paid $45 to have wifi for the week which was down for 2 days that I was there and the front desk would not give me back a portion of the money even though it was their WIFI which was down!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christie R
mpgiesemann, Manager at Occidental Tucancun, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Christie R
Greetings, thanks for choosing us It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services, we are very sorry for the issues you lived in the hotel, we are working to offer our guest more variety of food.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future

Ricardo Reyna
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my first time visiting cancun and what a great holiday it was. The hotel staff were all great and friendly. The entertainment team of ulises,angel,Enrique and Elena made the holiday as they keep you entertain during the day and came out with yous to the nightclubs at night time. I would recommend anyone to stay at Barcelo tucancun as you are made welcomed throughout your whole stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Welshygolf

Thank you for choosing the Barceló Tucancun during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Warm Regards
Concord, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked this hotel, not knowing what to expect. I had never been to Cancun, and my brother had picked this one. I actually wanted to stay at another one, but for my kids to be able to play with my brothers I chose Barcelo Tucncun. I had booked 2 rooms under the senior discount, as my parents who are both seniors were going to accompany us. Unfortunately my mother had a knee replacement followed by a manipulation under anesthesia, therefore they were unable to go. I ended up going with my husband and kids, and took my nephew. I had called the number located in the UnitedStates to cancel my parents, the customer service representative, told me I could do this upon arrival At the hotel. I arrive at the hotel, and the counter representative informed me he couldn't do any refund, he was very nice. He had me call the 800 number for bookings, I asked to speak to someone in English, so that he or she could understand the anger in my pronunciation. I ended up speaking with Carlos Jordan. He did speak Descent English, but he did not seem to detect the anger in my pronunciation. I asked to speak to someone who spoke better English or a manager. He said he was the manager for all of corporate Barcelo in Mexico, Canada, and the United States. I asked for his boss, and he said he was the highest ranking person. He was so upset at the fact that I asked for someone that spoke better English that he would not resolve my issue. Then on day number 3, there were bugs coming out of room #2 where my daughter slept. I informed the staff. They said they would take care of it. Then on day #5 I informed them that we saw bed bugs, and that my daughter had been bitten, they said they would fumigate. They did, but the smell was awful. In a nutshell, I would never stay at Barcelo Tucancun. The food is the same every single day, on day 4, I was just disgusted by the same food every single day. I must say though, all staff members are very professional and courteous. I don't know how Carlos Jordan became corporate manager for all 3 countries, because he was not resolving my issue. The rooms are descent. There is not enough pool space. There is one somewhat large pool, that was always full. Then another one with warm water that is small.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 4kids2love
Dear 4kids2love

Receive a warm salute from Barceló Tucancún Cancun.
I hope this message finds you well. Customer’s feedback is very important to us. I have reviewed this claim regarding your recent trip to our hotel and I am deeply sorry that you encountered some issues during your stay, because customer satisfaction is our top priority and it seems that you didn´t have an entirely pleasing holiday . Although we work really hard in order to guarantee a worry free vacation.

We have strong commitment with customer satisfaction and high quality in our products, we work hard to maintain our property in optimal condition.

I assure you that all departments involved on this claim where well informed about it, corrective measures and evaluation will be taken.

Once again, I reiterate our apology on this matter and hope to have an opportunity to change this bad impression and regain your confidence on a future vacation.

Please don´t hesitate to contact me for any further comments.

Ricardo Reyna
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

After two weeks in Ibesrostar Tucan and bit of a travel around Mexico we had to return to Cancun for one day before return trip to London. As we were doing the booking quite late the choice was very limited and therefore we have decided to go with mid-price option, Barcelo Tucancun. After such an amazing time in Tucan we were very intrigued how this place will compare with our first destination (5 stars vs 4 stars). And the outcome was obvious - Tucan wins by a good distance- yet - Barcelo did well too.

I will start with the strong points first (not better than Tucan yet worth to be mentioned). First is it's location - Tucancun is placed in the middle of Zona Hotelaria in Cancun and 5 mins walk from amazing shopping Mall - La Isla - awesome!!! It is also very lively place - plenty of people with mission to conquer Cancuns clubs!! 3 swimming pools are also nice - not the biggest ones I must say and unfortunately not connected to each other - yet somehow we found them satisfying. Restaurant (Mexican) we went to was also good with very friendly waiter. Finally - the room itself - somehow we got allocated in a Villa at the end of the resort and we absolutely loved it!!!! Sea view, own sun beds, hammocks, huge bed, kitchen and appliances, living room...after small and very cozy room in Tucan we finally had some space!! Great!!

FYI - it seems that we were lucky winners here - as the room next door was 3 times smaller (no kitchen, no sunbeds, no living room) - but hey - I am to review where we stayed - and that was awesome.

Unfortunately there is also a lot of thing were Barcelo needs to improve.

Beach - is not as picture-perfect like the one in Playa but mainly - it is lacking shade-huts and proper sun beds. Buffets are small and have very poor variety of things to eat. Only 3 a la carte!!! Drinks - you could easily taste that cheaper brands of alcohol are used by waiters (they were way worse than in Tucan). Plus - lobby bar which should be core of the hotel is very small and serves the drinks in plastic cups - very disappointing!!! Internet is also with additional charge (although more reasonable that in Tucan). Swimming pools - way smaller than in Tucan and finally - the appearance - although we did not mind it - is like typical hotel. All of those things made Tucan an obvious winner for us.

However - that shouldn't discourage anyone - someone less demanding/experienced than we are or someone making their first steps in all inclusive accommodation will not be disappointed! I'm sure that if that was our first destination ever we would definitely loved it. But having in mind some previous experience - we "only" liked it and therefore we can't give it TA max points - nevertheless it still definitely deserve a good 4.

Room Tip: If possible ask for room located in villas - if you are lucky you may get one in the middle - it is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martinez_83

Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Tucancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was my second time visiting Cancun and I can honestly say it is my favorite "relax by the beach and pool town".
I chose Barcelo Tucancun because I wanted to be close to the Downtown area and the reasonable price. We arrived early in the morning before our room ready so we hit the pool first. They had fun pool and beach activities put on by the staff which helps people mingle and get to know each other. The beach area here is amazing-but I already knew that coming in lol!
The only problem is that the hotel makes you make reservations for dinner and the reservations have an opening and closing time so make sure you pay attention to that. If you need a restaurant recommendation visit Taco Factory in the downtown area. My boyfriend and I ate there 3 out of the 4 nights in Cancun it is my favorite! It isn't fancy and you are right in the alley, but it makes for nice people watching at 2am on Saturday night!
I would recommend this hotel for families mostly, but we were a couple and enjoyed our time as well.
Tip! The hotel doors have about an inch to inch and a half gap, I laid a towel down in front of the door and that help with avoiding outside noise.

Room Tip: The hotel doors have about an inch to inch and a half gap, I laid a towel down in front of the door...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina G
Dear Tina G,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Tucancún Beach It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have youon a longer break soon.