“Good Memories of Solymar Cancun”

Solymar Cancun Beach Resort
Ranked #150 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
boston
“Good Memories of Solymar Cancun”
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Have to admit after reading so many horrendous reviews prior to our visit that we expected the worst from Solymar. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the Solymar was perfectly adequate for what we were looking for. Traveled to Cancun with my wife and two kids - 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter. Made our reservations through Travelcomm.com, a whole drama in itself that I won't even bother to explain here other than to say that company is truly a nightmare with a well-deserved sordid reputation. Wished we knew of this before we did business with them, but it was too late and they had already taken our money. We did not want to even stay at Solymar as we had chosen 5 other hotels that "were not available". We were forced to stay at Solymar or lose our money, so that was that. But, as for Solymar, I just can't understand some of the complaints we read on this web site. We had a good experience there - beautiful beach, decent hard working staff, basic clean hotel rooms (we had two side by side overlooking the pool and beach) with no security concerns or problems. We were perfectly at home there. It is a true beach hotel, not the Ritz Carlton. Probably our biggest complaint was the food. It was not very good and after two or three days we were dying for McDonalds. But that probably says more about our poor dietary habits than the hotel. It is Mexican food and it takes some getting used to (ie green beans in the scrambled eggs, brown gravy on the white fish). Some of the food was pretty good - it was not all bad. The alcohol drinks were ok. We assumed we could drink several of the "rum punches" and not feel anything because the booze is watered down. But they were pretty good, especially after a long day at the beach. We went to Walmart and got bottled water and Budweiser for the frig. I guess overall our theme for Solymar is that it is pretty good and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have the money or inclination to stay at one of the higher-priced antiseptic mega-resorts. Everything you need is at Solymar - the beach and food and pool is close to your room. Guests and staff were nice and it was pre-spring break so we didn't have college drunks. Don't expect the Ritz, don't be in a big rush, don't expect everything to operate on your time and you will have a good time. I would recommend that you rent a car to get you off the resort and have the freedom to travel around on your own without having to take the bus (which wasn't bad). But you do have more freedom with a car. Good memories of Solymar and Mexico.

Stayed February 2007
10 Thank agriff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2007

We stayed at Solymar Feb. 14-21. We had originally booked a suite in Brisas through a private condo owner, but got moved to Solymar for some reason. We had a room overlooking the pool and ocean. It had 2 double beds, tv,. mini-fridge, and all the basic necessities.

We decided to purchase the all-inclusive option, which was $39 pp./day. The food was what you'd expect for buffet. Not much variety, but good, and great for people on a budget like us! The drinks were good. They had the best beer on 'draft' that I've ever had in an all-inclusive resort. Louis was my favorite bartender there. He was always smiling, and made a 'mean' gin and tonic-lol.

The beach here was awesome. The waves were pretty rough sometimes and nearly beat me up one day;) but it wasn't too bad. There were still plenty of kids able to get in and play. There was a lot of the
'towel-game' here. If you didn't get up early enough, there were no chairs left and people had 'claimed' them with their towels, but with a beach this gorgeous, we didn't mind just putting our towels on the sand a couple of times.

There's not much to do at night at this resort, so if you like the nightlife, you'll need to go out.

We mostly just relaxed on the beach. We did go to J.C. Capitan's, which we were able to walk to from this resort. We really enjoyed it.
The menu was in Spanish, so we didn't really know what we were ordering. We decided to just be adventurous and pick something, and that turned out well, and we both were VERY happy with our dish.

We also went to Margaritaville, and Pat O' Brians. Just had margarita's in Margaritaville, but had beers and lunch at Pat O' Brians. The food wasn't anything special, but it's fun to watch the bartenders bring you the drinks on their head! (I'm easily amused). Also, it's a good place to go if you like english football (like my husband), as they seemed to play all the games on t.v.

One day it was overcast, so we decided to go to El Rey ruins. It was nice to be able to walk around without it being so hot. There were 'tons' of iguanas. We brought bread to feed them, (thanks to tips from this site-thanks!). I would recommend going here. It's nice, and only about $3. Worth seeing for sure.

On a final note, we went to Laguna grill for a nice romantic dinner, and it definately exceeded expectations. The atmosphere on the lagoon, as well as the service and food were all top-notch. A must for a romantic night!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank crystal78
New York
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We arrived with 4 couples. All adults. Each couple had to change their room 3 times and some even 5 times before getting an acceptable room. One couple was put in a freshly painted room that smelled badly enough to give headaches. Another couple finally gave up and took their 5th slection and got stuck with a toilet that needed daily repair. So they ended up using the lobby restroom almost all the time. Their roof leak when it rained. While we asked politely for different rooms and 2 couples even paid extra for suites, I thought it was odd that security guards were called to stand next to us. The staff was often very happy to provoke us and always called security. Their security was always available in full force with threats of calling the police. When I left the police were already there even though I never had a bad word said to them and everyone in our group had left a day or two before. All of us in our group as well as strangers can recount stories of giving tips (which were suppose to be included) to the staff who could care less. They would do nothing for us even if we tipped no matter how much the tip was. Never once would the bar tenders walk 10 feet down to me to give me a drink. I always had to get up and walk down to them. I was often ignored. I always saw angry faces unless the tip was $5. Keep in mind that the tips were suppose to be all inclusive. As for the pool areas, the walk ways were often dirty. As for the rooms the toilets were clean but the showers were dirty. The doors to the shower always slide and jammed just like the door to our patio by the pool. A really sloppy organization. The lady manager in charge and the assistant manager were only too happy to provoke and then call security to then provoke us some more and then threaten to call the police. The food was truly awful. and everyone in our group had to run to the bathroom on a regular basis. The alchol drinks were so weak that I seriously doubt any liquor was in there. The beach chairs were very hard to lay on and no cushions were available. We laid on the sand because the beach lounge chairs were so painful. We needed beach umbrellas to shade us from the sun. Of course none were avaialbe to use or to even rent. They do have some nice thatched roof umbrellas. However, someone at 3AM would go around and put towels on all the chairs under those umbrealls so you could never sit under them. We strongly suggest never to go to this resort. We never once felt welcome and we often felt hostility no matter how much we tipped the staff. The water in the ocean had very strong untows. So you really cannot swim in the ocean. You need to take the bus 30 minutes to the north end of the island for 60 cents USA to the free public beach where the ocean is the calmest. Please do not waste your time and money with this resport. It is a nightmware!

Jim

Stayed February 2007
208 Thank vacationerNewYork

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

mike121163
Reviewed February 14, 2007

will this see the hotel was ok but had some problems staff was great most of all the bar tenders jose, louis, grounds was clean pool had alot of chairs beach was great with fair pool bar still under construction lobby bar no music pool bar closes at 11pm. and lobby bar 1am. should close pool bar at 1am. who wants to be in lobby bar in cancun we are there for the beach and weather right there are condos and hotel rooms when i first got there i was stay 10 days room was not ready had too change clothes in bathroom leave luggage at front desk for 2 hours when i got too my room was disappointed book beach front recieve street view which was facing the tennis courts and generatier which was very noisey went too front desk too reguest new room staff told they were full no rooms check in morning for new room so went back to room put money in safe $800.00 cash and cameacorder and passport went to lobby bar had drinks bought pizza for bar and front desk closed bar 1am went back to room check safe there wasd only $700.00 cash so maybe i just counted wrong no problem so took lense cover off cameacorder and check money every day no more problems then on five days before leaving opened safe check cash and everything else $200.00 cash lense cover off went to breaksfast about 715am came back to room checked safe there was $150.00 cash lense cover on cameacorder no there is a big problem was very upset went to front desk ask for manager on duty there none on duty was ask too come back at 1200pm so i did and explain what happen manager sent security back to my room too check safe and take pictures and was told too go too police station make report so i did and came back with police report gave copy too manager had meeting with manager and security was told there is only one key too safe ok why do they say lose your key it will be 75.00 to get another key well manager said they would check in too this and police would and finger print safe and room and take pictures and give me the final result so the next five days had too carry all valueful's we me what pain to the pool and beach had to have my eyes on all times five days later no police show up and no response from manager checked out and was told by manager i would recieve email about still problem still waiting month later ....

Stayed January 2007
170 Thank mike121163
Carson city,NV
Reviewed February 9, 2007

Boy, were there problems. We paid for suites that were described as having a King bed, along with 2 doubles, sleeping ten people. We never got them. My "suite" smelled like raw sewage. We were finally able to switch rooms( thanks to the efforts of my spanish speaking son-consider taking one along as my initial complaints were not resolved). The new room did not have a kitchen or refrig. Beds were very hard. Front desk staff were not accomodating.
Breakfast was the best meal and chairs were gone by 8 am.
I would definitely not recommend this place

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
151 Thank wanttocruise
Toronto
Reviewed January 27, 2007

My husband & I live in Toronto and spent a fantastic week at a condo owned by Michelle & Peter at Solymar Jan 6-13th 2007. We have rented from these guys for the past 3 years and will continue to do so, and why not? One of the most difficult things about booking a (usually much-needed) vacation is that often you end up spending a ton of money and getting really poor value. I have been disappointed many times arriving at a resort & finding that I have a terrible room, no view, noisy, & expensive. Well I want to AVOID this scenario! - which is why I keep coming back to Michelle & Peter's. (They have THE nicest condos in the resort - and you get to see photos of the exact unit you will rent before you book!) They are a lovely young couple who truly want to ensure that their guests enjoy their stay. The rooms we have rented from them have a 'million dollar view', ocean & pool view, really clean, comfortable & inviting suite, with full kitchen, 2 large beds, nice TV, they even have tons of books & magazines that you can enjoy while you relax on the gorgeous beach. The resort now has all the palapas rebuilt on the beach, & each & every day we had no problem getting lounge chairs under a palapa, no matter what time we arrived there. We enjoy being able to make our own coffee & snacks, & drinks during the day & then go somewhere for dinner at night. You can pick up very good imported wines at incredible prices at the supermarket in Cancun, as well as just about anything else you need. Or we have the option of purchasing all-inclusive from the hotel for a daily fee of $35. I love it - can't wait to go back. I have recommended these condos to several friends & family, I would not do that if I did not believe this was a fantastic value.
Don't forget your sunscreen!

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank Shanandoah
OH-IO! <3
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I've been saying I'd write this for 3 years now, so here we go:

First off- if you are looking for a five star resort, move along. However, if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive place to tan & sleep- Solymar is your ticket!! I've stayed there twice. Once in '04 + once in '05 with my friends & we're going again this year in June! I'll be honest- we go down to Cancun to relax, tan & swim during the day, then go out & have fun at night. All I require in my hotel is that 1. it's CLEAN (a must, i'm slightly OCD when it comes to that!) 2. that it have a great beach- and Solymar is perfect for both! The pool is great! It has a cute swim up bar, and I never had a problem finding a chair. The beach is literally ten steps down from the pool. Our favorite thing to do is to pull the beach chairs into the water, so the splash cools you down. The rooms are generally nice (we've seen rooms at the Oasis and they're very nice but no view and 5x as much $$) Our first stay we got a great poolside room, and our second stay we got a smaller room with a broken air conditioner. We talked to the front desk and after 2 hrs, we were put in a much nicer room with a view of the ocean. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated & very spacious. You can keep your room as cool as you want. (hint: don't let short people try and change the thermostat. she just jumped up and swatted..we came back from the club to a room that was a FREEZING..my guess 60 some degrees + all you brought were summer clothes!) The best part of all (and a reason I keep coming back-- the kitchen!) The fridge is a must, especially since WATER is like gold down there. It's expensive and if it's not around you won't drink it. That fact, mixed with the sun & looots of alcohol, it's easy to get dehydrated. We do a trip to Wal-mart our first day(it's a long bus ride, but sooo worth it when you think of the $$ you save!) That's another thing, Solymar is at the beginning of the hotel zone, so anything fun is a pretty lengthy bus ride, but there are no clocks in Mexico (that's my conclusion, lol) so whatever, you have time. Plus it costs less than a dollar to ride! Solymar is a great place for college students to stay because it's fun, clean & cheap. Even if you're not a college student, Solymar is great because the money you save can be spent on excursions and whatnot, plus the staff is fun & friendly. I cannot tell you anything about the restaurant, we've never eaten there, but guests told us it was fine.

a few little tips :)
-- bring a pan to boil water (mac & cheese!) && a can opener (we tried using a key and our iron to bust into a can of spaghetti-O's...all we got was a single "o" and can shrapnel!)
-- the buses are freaking crazy (you'll understand when you get there) they're cheap though, i think around sixty cents. the bus driver will try to rip you off and give you less money back, but either SMILE because you're on vacation and it's like 5 cents, or stand there with your hand out and he'll give you the rest. If you listen to anything i've written, make it this: SIT IN A SEAT IMMEDIATELY. I'm not even kidding, as soon as you're on the bus they drive.
-- remember to haggle with the taxi drivers. if they see you walking on the street they will pull up and ask you where you're going. they'll usually give you a good price, if not catch the next bus (you never have to wait more than a few minutes for one)
-- we adore pat o'briens! it's a great bar with live music and dancing. you can get open bar (ANYTHING, even shots!!) for $25 you just need to ask about it!
--speaking of that, buy alcohol @ wal-mart and get wasted before you leave the hotel...no need to worry about a DD! && pretty cheap!
-- american change is useless. don't bring it. they won't accept it, and they'll be annoyed.
-- ask the entertainment staff at your hotel (all the hotels have them) what club they all going to that night. you get free transportation (the bus), a t-shirt, and open bar all night for $35, we go with them about 3 nights during our stay. they make sure you have a good time. (all the clubs are fun, we've been to pretty much everywhere. fat tuesdays is OUTSIDE. it's really hot once you start dancing, so be aware of that)
-- there is internet access in the main lobby. it was wonderful. we wrote our worried parents every morning lol!
-- HAVE FUN & RELAX. Cancun is beautiful :)

• Liked — the price & the gorgeous beach!!
  • Disliked — wish it was a little closer to downtown!
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lz4gop