“solymar beach resort 02/05/2013 - 11/05/2013” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Solymar Beach & Resort

Solymar Beach & Resort
Ranked #156 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“solymar beach resort 02/05/2013 - 11/05/2013”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

From my experience solymar was ok but u cant really expect much from a 3*** hotel, the main thing was that all the staff at solymar were great, especially Victor Vaca his customer service skills were great he knew how to speak fluent english which was a great help for us because we didnt speak a word of spanish, i would definately go back, if you dont expect too much then you wont be dissapointed for sure

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank preety k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 11 nights in February. It was the cheapest hotel in Cancun and the only way we could afford the holiday. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. Our rooms were large with 2 double beds, the bathroom clean and a free safe. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the guy that sorts out entertainment, he set up some great days/nights out for us. The food was ok, some nights better than others. Pool and beach were lovely and never too busy.......the bar's not the kind of place you can spend an evening though! It is far along the hotel zone but very easy and cheap to jump on a bus. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Victoria G
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed in many types of hotels, from 5 star Hotels like Omni to Motel 6. My mom booked this trip as a girls weekend and after reading the reviews, I was not going with high expectations, but I also know some people do exaggerate. However, in the case of this hotel, all the reviews WERE NOT an exaggeration!!!! This has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They charged you a $1 to make a local call and you had to make it from the lobby. If you are a "local" they would only charge you $10 pesos, which saves you about $2 pesos. The TV in the room had no buttons and there were no remotes, unless you went to the lobby to rent one. We were "upgraded" to a suite, however it was NOT an upgrade and I am afraid to see what our original room looked like. They charged $20 for the lunch buffet, which had the WORST FOOD I have ever had! And that's saying something since I work for a university and cafeteria food is not great! The staff was rude even to those of us who were considered "nationals." I tried getting a cup of ice, however I was quickly informed that ice was sold by the cup. The hotel served its purpose since my family and I went off to excursions on all the days, however if you are looking for a nice hotel to relax in, look elsewhere. I was informed at the airport during a brief survey I did of my visit, that this hotel was the worst of the hotel zone. There was even a broken down car in the parking lot. Nice view of the ocean, but this area is also the choppy part of the beach and on some days; dangerous to swim in. The towels were disgusting and you had to turn in your key to the lobby to get housekeeping to clean the room.

Overall, the room served its purpose. We only slept there and explored the Rivera Maya all day until the late part of the night. However, when I come back I will be staying somewhere else! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Maggie V

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Orem, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited Cancun to celebrate my mom's birthday. As soon as I saw the reception I had a bad feeling. I got a regular metallic key for the room. My first thought was like wow. They don't have electronic locks. They had an employee to take us to our room and set up the PIN for the security box without us asking him. I didn't like that. The furniture looked old, the air conditioner didn't work. They had an old TV the ones like boxes not flat TV and no remote. Called the front desk in order to let them know what we got. Waited few minutes and then decided to go outside. It was like an oven in the room. Got changed to go to the pool and stopped by the reception with our list. We asked him if we could get a different room because the guy at the front desk didn't know how long it would take to get things fixed. He sent another guy to show us another room which looked nicer and in front of the pool. We loved that. The air conditioner worked but there was a black box on the wall where you could only turn it on or off. There was no way to adjust the temperature according to what we wanted. The glass door to the balcony didn't close and there was no way to lock it. We decided to keep our valuable things with us the whole time. There was not safety in the room. After coming back from the pool and while taking a shower we had another pool in the shower about 3 -4 inch deep. We talked with the staff about all this. they seemed nice but the facilities were horrible. I travel a lot with the company I work for and they always work with Marriott. I felt so horrible for my parents. I wanted them to have the best vacations and my mom her best birthday present. Next time I will go with Marriott.
Ohh Forgot to mention that we got OLD YELLOW TOWELS. You could see that they were breaking apart. They gave us a voucher to get the towels and if we didn't return they we were going to be charged $25 for each. WHAT A JOKE. Those were worst than rugs to mop floors!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Erendygm
YK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We rented a privately owned condo from Nancy Cousins from 24 - 29 March 2013 and truly enjoyed the experience. What people have to understand is that this resort has different options available within it: hotel, all-inclusive resort, and renting from private owners of individual units. Having both read all the poor reviews on here AND after meeting a number of people who were there while we were but who had chosen the all-inclusive option, I can say with confidence that RENTING FROM A PRIVATE OWNER IS THE WAY TO GO. Our friends who chose the all-inclusive complained about the food and alcohol quality while our unit was kitchenette equipped which allowed us to cook our own meals and keep our own alcohol cold. Generally, we made our own breakfasts and lunches and went out for dinner. On top of that the rooms were nice and clean and, at least with Nancy, she provides you with good info regarding the bus system, restaurants, and how to get to and from the airport. The beach in front of the resort is exactly the same as any other resort with the exception of being less populated, which to us was a plus. If you want busy just walk a few hundred meters either way. The beaches in Mexico are federally (government), not privately, owned by each resort so this is entirely fine to do.

Again, SOLYMAR is a great option if you chose to rent from a private owner. We found Nancy via Kijiji.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShayneH187
North Dakota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Solymar was one of the my worst experiences. I stayed there for 6 days from March 10-16. The food, rooms, and service was horrible. We went the whole time without a working toilet and our light fixture even fell from the ceiling were it stayed the rest of the stay. The service was so bad. Barely anybody spoke English and the frontdesk people were mean. They tried to get money from us any way the could. The food was disgusting and we could not even stand to eat there. The bar also only offered few drink types. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LibbyMF
luton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

just returned 14 march 2013 14days allinclusive the worst holiday ever, we are a mature couple well traveled all over the world. we were taken to our room left on our own we were soon back at reception with a list no shower door leaky taps broken toilet seat no air con mini fridge coffee machine no hangers taken photos of furniture nothing like you see on the net we were told do not suply the above bearing in mind this is suposed to be a 4star hotel ha ha .on to bar one of next to swiming ,went to recption one because of rain and were told to pay your free bar is down stairs joke thought this was all in no?.resturaunt one of for everything i mean everything starting with all crockery which most of was cracked or chipped plastic glasses and polystirene cups we have had better food at a greasey spoon cafe at home. some staff were nice but found a lot were realy miserable . there are a lot of condos and to me we sufferd for it hpoe they take this out of all british brouchers &internet because it gives totaly the wrong message mexico itself was very nice shame about hotel and we lived that way for the duration glad to be home .just like to say we went with an open mind but how open does it have tpo be.

Room Tip: make sure you do a investigation before you go we thought we did ha,ha