“Ughhh...don't stay here”
Review of Hotel Plaza Kokai

Hotel Plaza Kokai
Ranked #136 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This place was really gross. The room had textured white washed walls with some drips and stains on the walls. The bed was well worn and the coverlet was old and faded. The lighting was dim and I believe flourescent. The batheroom tub had stains and backed up when we took a shower. The water started running brown, though it did clear up after 30 seconds or so.

The drain on the bathroom floor was broken and I kept catching my foot on it. I've backpacked in Asia and stayed in some pretty run-down places, but they were $5 a night. At $90 a night, I expect clean!

Also, they advertise free parking for guests...this is street parking that they hold at the front of the hotel, and you have to pull up on the curb. And, the pool was green tinted with algae.

The only bright spots in this dismal experience: the staff is absolutely lovely and they gave us a refund for the nights we'd already paid for when we checked out after just one night. The continental breakfast was just coffee, toast and either juice or fruit, but the coffee was awesome!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2010

Kokai Plaza has a great central location (in el Centro close to bus station). The hotel's rooms are adequate - somehow the air conditioning never really functioned well. Tile floors and hard beds probably resemble every other budget hotel in Mexico. But room was clean and had bottled water. Pool is very small and not so clean. Restaurant attached serving continental breakfast is good. Staff was helpful. I would probably stay at Radisson down the street in future for a few more pesos.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dmlandis
Reviewed March 3, 2009

This was an ideal room for what we needed-A hotel near the bus station and the centre of town. The hotel was friendly, clean and comfortable. We Paid about 700 pesos and that included a full breakfast and air conditioning in the rooms. They also let us keep our bags behind reception while we explored downtown.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WalesHack
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Friendly and helpful staffs. Help us with making a lot of arrangements. Convenient location. Easy walk to bus station and downtown restaurants. Amenities commensurate with price.

We basically used the hotel as our base for exploring the attractions in surrounding areas. The hotel staff help us get rental car in which we drove to Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, Coba, Tulum, and so on. It's a perfectly fine place for our kind of travel, but if you want to spend a lot of time enjoying yourself in the hotel, you should look at beach-front hotels instead.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mdtrvlr123
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I paid $39 per night for three nights via Hotwire, and to be honest if I'd paid much more than that I would've been gutted!

Room 203.

Pros:

Location. Just a three minute walk from the R1 bus stop to take you to the Zona Hotelera if you wish. To get to the main strip takes about 15 to 20 mins and costs 7 pesos (70 cents, 35 pence).
Price.
Staff. A couple of the guys that could speak English on front desk were very helpful.

Cons:

Room. AC hardly worked, and the door lock felt very flimsy. It also smelt musty.
Pool. A bit of an excuse for a pool really, with lots of leaves in it. However, it did soothe my aching feet after a lot of beach walking.

If you're on a budget and can't afford the $180+ of the mega hotels, then this isn't a bad alternative, depending on how much you end up paying.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FozzieBear2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2006

Clean-towels are birds and toilet paper roses--fast room service--reasonable prices for drinks and food in restaurant and room service: Great lounge with live musica--very friendly staff-plan to return

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed March 31, 2006

For those who is using Priceline to book this hotel, you may encounter some problems. I recently went to Cancun with a friend and we had ordered our tickets and hotel through priceline. Everything went well untill the last night of the stay. On the last night of the stay on of the the workers told us that priceline has not paid them and that they have tried to call. I was asked to pay for the hotel first and then when I got back to NY, and contact priceline they will submit a full refund to me. (on top of that they told me that they will wait for at least 10 days before charging my credit card, so I would have the chance to get the situation straight.) But instead they charged my credit card immediately right after my stay and Proceline told me that they where not coorprating with priceline. They were not returning their calls. I have personally called them and the manger told me to email him. So i did and he never respose back, ok maybe he didn't understand english so I translated my email into spanish but yet there is no response. Therefore I don't believe I will ever recieve my refund. I just want travelers to be aware of this hotel. Other than that, the hotel was Ok. It has a weird --- smell. The pool was really small and it was in the shape of a triangle. There is a bus that will bring you to the back of a beach where the nice hotels are. The bus nly make a trip at 10 and 11 am. You will have take the public bus back to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006