“Good value for money and a comfortable room”

Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel
Ranked #155 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 14, 2012

It does look a little run down, but that didn't bother me.

The staff were lovely and very helpful with directions and suggestions. The room was big, clean and comfortable - all you need. We didn't bother using the self-catering stuff as food is so cheap in Mexico, there is no need!!! The Belgium restaurant attached, over-looking the lagoon was lovely, and the locals love to treat themselves to it. The breakfast was very basic - various breads, jam, butter, and cornflakes. But it is only a 10min walk to the centre of the hotel zone if you fancied something else for breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - but you do get what you pay for.. This is not a 5* extravagant hotel, but a very good budget hotel.

Oh, and in response to other reviews: we had no issues with hot water at all and the towels were changed once used, the AC worked perfectly, the door not only locked, but double-locked.

And the safety deposit box is at the reception and very safe - kept our passports, ipods and mt netbook safe the entire stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trisha N
Jose Maria P, Director of Sales at Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Hello Trisha, we really appreciate your comments and objectivity. They really help us to improve our service and quality of facilities.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you dont expect luxury, or a decent breakfast, this is a great place.
For the price, a great place to stay, considering the location.
Good, spaceful, rooms

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2012

i stayed here for 2 weeks the facilities for self catering were awful pots dirty, no kettle, only half elctric cooker ring working, fridge dirty, no tin opener the basic trhings when advertised as self catering not available. the towels were quite often dirty even tho changed every day and when i complained to sunmaster they said meets criteria rated as thety say 2 star website says 3! overall would not bother at all. disgusting.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Katharine H
Jose Maria P, Director of Sales at Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

We really appreciate your staying in Celuisma Imperial Laguna for TWO weeks. I will personally verify the facts that you mention in your review and make sure that our facilities meet what you expect from a 3 stars hotel. I do not understand how could you stay for such an extended period of time in those conditions. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I should have heeded the reviews before booking. The stories posted about no hot water were all too true. The evident lack of maintenance in the room and the fact that the door lock did not work properly would not have been so notorious had it not been for the fact that we had no hot water at all during the two nights we spent in this very old hotel. "Old" as in "run down". On our second day a technician finally showed up, but only to get hot water in ONE room, 3 stories below ours. I asked the man at the front desk if we could move in there, but he emphatically said "no" because all the other guests were using that same room to shower. Yes, the view from the balcony on to the lagoon was great, but this is definitely not the place for you unless you don't mind lying on a bed next to a time-worn sink whose missing doors give you a full view of a rusty drainpipe. This is not the first time I stay in a budget hotel, but this is the first time I see so much lack of interest to keep a hotel functional. One half of the entire facility without hot water? Mom, Dad, please don't bring your family here.

Room Tip: Ask first if the hot water system is functional for the room you're booking.
4  Thank HimmelWolf
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for a GREAT price before I read all of the reviews, so when I did read previous reviews I got very nervous about staying here. However, my trip to Cancun was an absolutely amazing experience, and this hotel did nothing to hinder it.

The rooms:
For those who complained about the kitchennette, the shower, or the AC, I'm sorry that they did not work for you. During my stay, the kitchennette was the perfect size and it was well-equipped (not that we really used it anyway since some restaurants around the area are pretty cheap), the front desk explained how we could work the shower, the shower itself was good, and the AC was just fine. The rooms are clean when you get in, and the cleaning staff does a good job of cleaning the room every day, but they don't give you fresh towels until they're a couple days old, which is okay, because who washes their bath towels at home every day anyway? There are no safes in the room, but they do have a safe deposit box. I left my laptop, cell phone, and change in the room a few times, though, and it was fine. In general, you will do a lot of activities around Cancun, and there is no need to stay in the hotel for a long time during the day, so the Imperial Laguna's not a bad place to sleep.

Food:
As for the breakfast, I was a little disappointed on the first day when all of the baked goods, coffee, and milk were gone, but they refill it pretty often, or you can even go to the front desk to ask them to get more things and they'll do it right away, so I got used to it. It's a standard continental breakfast, which means it's free, which means it's not going to be extremely fancy. Although their restaurant in the back of the hotel looks nice, there are much better (and cheaper) places around. For instance, there is the delicious fish/shrimp taco place 5 minutes away on the main road. My boyfriend and I bought 2-3 shrimp or fish tacos each, all of which cost us less than $10 (USD) for lunch. In that same plaza, there are 2 bakeries, a pharmacy, other Mexican restaurants, and a supermarket, which are all really convenient, too. There are more restaurants that are a 10-15 minute walk away from the hotel that are near the Hard Rock Cafe mall area that are great, too. The Taco Factory was my favorite restaurant, and they had yummy, cheap food as well.

Beach:
Okay, this place doesn't have beach access - but that's okay! That's what the other nearby hotels are for. We snuck (and by "snuck" I mean, casually walked) through the nearby Presidente hotel and got onto the beach easily. From there, we were able to walk down the beach to other hotels' beach areas (ex: Riu, Riu Palace). There's also a public beach next to the Hard Rock Cafe mall, and there are lots of other activities to do besides go to the beach, like going to Chichen Itza, Xcaret, Xel-ha, Xplor, etc. I was also a little skeptical about the hotel pool so I never went in it, but at least it looks nice and there's always the beach anyway.

Definitely do not expect this hotel to have the same grandeur as the Iberostar, Marriott, or Westin - you will be disappointed if you do.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Emily Y
Reviewed December 30, 2011

It seemed a nice little place at first. The walls really stood out to me, yellow and disgustingly bumpy, but it was okay, I guess. It didn't cost that much, which was a plus, but the "kitchen" was nothing but a small counter and a refrigerator that didn't really work. Also, the shower had three knobs with no instructions, and it didn't have hot water nor did it have a steady stream of water. The walls were clearly not soundproofed; I heard people several doors down, as well as behind us. The phone didn't come with instructions, so we didn't know how to call. On the patio, the smell was horrible, and we didn't even try to look for the "pool." When morning came around, they had some rolls and pastries that seemed old and some cereal, and we had to ask them in order for them to bring the milk out. They also had coffee and that was it, which was a bit disappointing, but I guess it's what you expect when you try to pay little. All I'm going to say is next time if we come to Cancun, we are booking somewhere else; no matter how bad that it is, it can never compare to how bad this was.

1  Thank Matt W
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We booked a room in this hotel, a "bay view" room. First of all, a couple of things that's not the hotel's fault: not a good location, at least 10 minutes walk away from a couple of restaurants, and a 10 minute bus's ride away from the real hotel zone and beaches. Second of all, this part of the lagoon smells BAD. It smells like something is rotting. That's what you get in the "bay view" room.

My family was looking for a budget stay since we would be taking a lot of tours all day, didn't need a resort. However, this place was just terrible. The AC is super loud and has no remote. If in the middle of the night you felt too hot or cold, you'd have to get up. For someone short like me, I'd have to climb onto a chair to adjust the settings. They have a fridge and sink section that has so much rust that no one would ever want to use it. The shower had no pressure and was cold for most of our stay.

It may be okay since this hotel is cheap; however, after two nights, the front desk guy said that they only charged us for 2 people's stay, and that since we're a family of 4 with two adults and two kids, we would have to pay 1600 pesos more. (150 USD) This was at the end of a very long day; without access to phone and internet to check what was going on, we didn't want to be kicked out. So we talked to him and he agreed to let us pay only an additional 1000 pesos, IF we pay in cash. SOOOO SHADY. I've posted some pictures of this place -- if I had seen this pictures before on tripadvisor, I would've never booked this hotel.

2  Thank tracyx