“Okay hotel if you're on a budget and only plan to sleep there”

Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel
Ranked #155 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I had read previous reviews and sort of knew what to expect upon arriving to the hotel. The hotel is located off of Kukulcan (which is the main street). Its in a local neighborhood that is fairly safe in case you rent a vehicle. There is plenty of free parking. Our reservations had said that our room would have a kitchen. Upon checking in, we discovered that we did not have a kitchen. There was a dining room but no refrigerator or stove. We informed the front desk person of this. Her english was limited and she sort of shrugged when we asked for a room with a kitchen. She made a phone call and said someone would be down to assist us. A man came 15 minutes later and they spoke to each other but did not inform us of the outcome. We had to eventually ask them and the man (who did speak English) said that we would get a kitchen. He said that they would put an electric stove and small refrigerator in our room. The hotel staff were very friendly although not very informative due to the language barrier. If you are just looking for a cheap place to sleep this hotel will fit perfectly. The rooms do have tiny bugs and you will find them all over the room. In your luggage, on your clothes, in your bed etc. They seemed harmless though and were looking for food crumbs. We just flicked them off our bed and clothes. We did not have hot water for the first 3 days there. They had the pipes fixed eventually. Overall good hotel for the price. Don't come here if you are looking to relax at the hotel. Its just a place to sleep and store your luggage.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dee_gigi

Reviewed March 28, 2011

If you are looking for a place that is on par with tent camping... then maybe you'd be ok here. BUT I doubt it!!!
The AC did not work. The next room's AC did though and as their unit was right outside my patio door I could hear it going on and off all night. Also the bars close by are open until 4:00am... so be prepared to listen to techno all night and the old school AC unit
Also, it is on the lagoon... so no swimming here. No beach, just slime, seaweeds and garbage. All the lounge chairs are broken. The pool filter's door is busted off. My patio door did not lock. And best of all... "BED BUGS"! I woke up and my eye was swollen shut.

Stay away at all cost!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank BC_Girl_45
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This might have been a nice place at one time but it was downright one of the worst places I've stayed. We had to cram into three rooms because the forth one smelled so bad you couldn't even enter the room (not exaggerating). The phone was busted, the beds contained hair, the soap in one of the bathrooms had been re-wrapped (had hair on it), the back door of the room (at ground level) had no way of locking and when they had trouble getting the key card to work for the front door they gave me a master key overnight that could open every room in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lars_5
Reviewed January 2, 2011

When I saw the room offered to me I wanted to cry. It was depressing....I had no one else but me to blame and my Christmas and New years were ruined........I want to sob! I went back and asked if there were better options....and was asked to take a look at two other rooms...... I was beginning to feel nauseous. I was a solo traveler for two weeks waiting for my husband to join me in a couple of days.

Edy, at the front desk person saw me ready to break down and told me one room would be coming free later in the afternoon and I could take a look. Thankfully it was a breather and I was going to wait for it.

Finally at 2:00 pm i checked into room number 506 and things began to work out better than anticipated.

Gabriel is a fantastic wonderful kid/person and helped me settle in. He is always ready with solutions and can speak in English.

After reading the reviews we decided not to go for the all inclusive option and I carried some basic kitchen stuff that really came handy. Gabriel arranged for a two element/coil hot plate for cooking. Since I am vegetarian I was very persistent about my request for microwave. So glad they could provide me with one.

About 'in' the hotel:
Our stay of two weeks was actually very pleasant. Everything IS walking distance. The view was really nice. We sat out every evening and morning to enjoy beer, coffee, tequila etc. The lagoon view is nice and the music from Coco Bongo etc. is always floating around. It did not bother us at all, we quite enjoyed it. Water was coldish on few occasions..sound-proofing??? nope I knew what was happening next door. But it was not something that made us want to shoot someone.
The staff is honest. The cleaning girl, Wendy was REALLY nice. Our room was cleaned every day. She just goes about her work without expecting TIPS....you will know what I mean when u get to Cancun! It's exhausting....anyways fresh towels everyday. I took my own towels and bed sheets due to skepticism. But we were OK with the bed sheets.....the towels....only when we got white ones :)
About the kitchenette - There was a small fridge....and few forks and one spoon, cups, glasses, plates(quarter,dinner and saucer), spatula. One saucepan, fry pan - that was worn out, and a big pan. Since I carry my camping kit for long travels I was OK.

FYI - There is no coffee maker or toaster.

The hotel is at a good spot. About 'around' the hotel:
LAUNDRY - There is a laundry facility very close. 10 USD for serviced wash 7 USD for self wash.
FOOD - Ty-coz is a fast food joint that is very popular. Along with a few other that are very reasonable and good.
SUPER MARKET - Well stocked super market. I found most of the things I needed there without having to go to Wal-mart. But I guess Wal-mart is a addiction.
TOURS - The prices of tours offered by these two ladies were most competitive. I had already booked online before reaching Cancun. Wish I had met them earlier.
BEACH - Well....it is only through the public beaches that you can access them. Playa Tortugas is close.

Finally my husband and me really had a good time in Cancun. We were within our budget thanks to this hotel. It helps to be aware. Good luck and feel free to contact me for any further info you many need.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank empyrean28
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I must say I really didn't get a good feel for Cancun in general. It really is one of those places where you get charged for everything, twice and are constantly left disapointed. However I do put a good part of my hatred for the resort down to the hotel we stayed in. The place was miles from anywhere, the very farthest hotel on the strip, at the side of a busy road. The beach was almost non existant, and the pool was smaller than the childrens pool in most places I've stayed. The one relatively good thing the place offered was the unique 'pier' style restaurant above the water. As far as I could see it was the only hotel that had, one and it was nice eating above the water. However it was only ever used during meal times, and the food was really nothing to rave about, so it was a missed opportunity. We stayed all inclusive and were left with watered down drinks served in the thinnest paper cups imaginable. The snacks promised outside of meal times were a dog meat burger, and nothing else. The rooms reminded me of butlins chalets, a dodgey old kitchenette and crumbling walls.
Judging by the pictures you see everywhere, the place was pretty badly ruined during 2005's hurricane Wilma, so I'm puzzeled to explain why the decor doesn't look relatively new. On the contrary, it looks like it hasn't been decorated for thirty years!
The waiters and entertainment guys are more than friendly, but the management and receptionists are so rude! They just want to charge you through the nose for everything, yet can't even bring themselves to be polite about it! They're obviously used to arguing about they're ridiculous internet prices etc that they just expect a row each time someone asks them a question.
I'd never go back to Cancun, yet I'd advise everyone to try most places once and make thier own minds up. Yet please, don't try this place not even once! Just take my word for it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2010

To give an idea of context for this review, we were a group of 3 girls (aged 20, 31 & 32)spending 5 weeks travelling through Central America. We didn't fancy roughing it in hostels, but at the same time we were on a budget and couldnt afford to splurge.
We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 28th July 2010.

Location: This hotel is in the hotel strip of Cancun. It cost us 500 pesos to get there in a taxi from the airport. A short taxi ride away are the cheesy bars and clubs of Cancun (we gave these a miss). There is a bus stop 5 mins away where you can catch the R1 bus downtown (just 7.50 pesos each).

Room: the first room we were given was on the ground floor, was big with separate living area but was dark and VERY damp and musty smelling. My friend has asthma and she felt her chest getting tight almost straight away so we asked to be moved into another room. The reception guy was fine with this and showed us to one on the first floor that had a balcony overlooking the pool, TV, 2 double beds, table, chairs and a basic kitchenette. There was still a slight musty smell in this room too, but nowhere near as bad as the first room, so I imagine that all the rooms are slightly damp.

Breakfast: Breakfast was served on the breakfast bar of a little room opposite the reception. You walked in and helped yourself. it was verrry basic: cornflakes, UHT milk, Bimbo bread, butter, jam, coffee. There was a toaster and also a tray of buns, croissants and pastries, but there are ants and so you had to select the ones that they weren't feasting from!

Services: the fridge in the room was handy for storing snacks and beer!

Price: We booked via booking.com and the booking price was US$ 201 total for the 3 nights, however on arrival when paying I was charged 2412 pesos (US$ 188) so it was a little cheaper than we thought.

Tips: As you come out of the hotel back to the main road, if you turn right and walk 5-10 mins, you come to some beautiful, huge, all inclusive resorts. We walked through their lobby to access the beach. The beaches here are beautiful, and as all beaches in mexico are public, you are free to use any!
Alos, just round the corner from the hotel there are some really cheap taco places (great for lunch) and an amazing sushi place for dinner (we ate there 2 of the 3 nights).

Overall a decent-ish place thats fine for somehwere cheap to crash in- just dont expect anything special and be prepared for the musky smell. If we went to Cancun again though, I would stay on Isla Mujeres rather than this area as there is so much more happening there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank doublechoc-chip
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We booked in this hotel as it was recommended as one of the hotels for the WONCA Convention of Family Medicine Doctors. The front desk guy noticed we booked for 2 rooms, as it was my parents and myself he offerred 1 room big enough for 4 people,The Hotel staffs are friendly and respectful and they are honest as well as the key to our room is spoiled and they need to open the door for us everytime we will come in at night ,we were quite adamant at first as it means they will use the master key but we have faith that they were honest people. However,it was not 10 minutes walk from the Convention Center but more like 30-45 minutes by foot but its still okay as the road and scenery is fine and safe too.
However, the hotel is a bit old, if you are looking for a luxury hotel this is not, its more of a beach resort place, at the back they have resto that serves seafoods and it was great what they do to the place as it become very beach-like with motorboats and planks and toches that's romantic at night when they light it up. And the free breakfast is just fine ,assorted breads, cornflakes , milk, coffee and tea that if you woke up later than 7am, you'll just find crumbs...however, there are nearby sushi bar and convenient store.
And unfortunately when we were there the router is not working so there's no wi-fi from your room , they offer their own PC downstairs though but you have to pay a minimal fee.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family