“Great vacation”

Ranked #40 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Watertown, Wisconsin
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Great location on the beach! Wonderful views of the ocean! Very clean. Pools were very nice not enough bartenders at the pools, also it is unfortunate they do not walk around to take drink orders. Activity staff was outstanding! Check in staff not very helpful, we got in early fully understanding we would have to wait but no one explained where to eat or get a drink. Overall very happy with our stay!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Allison L
Okaloca, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review; I can assure you that all of our guests' comments and suggestions are taken into consideration since we are always looking for ways to improve and provide the best possible service. On that note I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time on your vacation. I would like to invite you to consider us again for your next trip to Cancun for we would be more than happy to welcome you once more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,123)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed from the 5th to the 15th March 2014.Arrived around 6pm and was given very warm welcome along with a nice refreshing cocktail. Had booked an ocean view room but was a little disappointed as we where on the 1st floor and all we could see where palm trees .Room was a good size and very clean. The following afternoon after some discussion we decided to ask if an upgrade was available and where told it was, asked if we could see the room first and was taken there to view it by a bellboy. Wow what a difference! took the upgrade straight away and was worth every penny.Room was huge had a Jacuzzi and 3 separate showers in the shower room,see view and a view of the quiet pool too. Staff where friendly throughout our stay and Miguel from the entertainment team was particularly helpful, telling us which clubs to go to and what night was best for each one. He also kept me up to date with all the latest football scores to lol. The rest of the entertainment team worked very hard all day and all night long they never stopped. Buffet restraunt was good always lots to choose from, mexican and oriental restraunts where good to but the Italian was by far the best, the food in there is superb.
The bar staff got quite a lot of abuse from the spring breakers at times ,some of their behaviour at times was disgusting and if their parents could have seen them they would have been
ashamed, loud rude and obnoxious are probably the politest terms I can use to describe some of them.Bar staff deserved medals for putting up with them.
Could not fault the hotel or the staff at all,had a fabulous holiday and would love to go back there one day. Must say I had to laugh at some of the poor reviews for the hotel on here. Some of the comments are ridiculous "no view of the ocean from the bed" !!!! (previous review).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dave S
Okaloca, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to share your experience with future travelers. It is reviews like yours that make me believe that we are on the right path to achieve excellence. I feel very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that we were able to help make your vacation a great one. We would love to welcome you once more here at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I just returned from a week at this resort and had a great time. I especially enjoyed the events staff, even without participating in a lot of the activities. Miguel (hola, amigo!) goes out of his way to talk to guests and make sure they are having fun, whether they participate in the sports events or not. GPRCC management: do not lose this guy! Alex, Sebastian, and Davio also do a good job entertaining everyone. The whole events staff work long hours and need more time off (one day a week, seriously?). They also have evening entertainment (which I enjoyed) before taking groups out to the clubs at 10PM. The resort itself is great, very clean. I thought all of the resort staff were very nice and had no issues with check in. I was less impressed with the Royal Holiday staff, and as a member, I only felt Diana in Member Services cared about helping me with anything. I didn't bother making diner reservations since the buffet was fine and I didn't want to wait in line. Room service was very limited and didn't include selections from the restaurants, basically sandwiches.
Complaints: I was woken every morning at 7-7:30 by somebody cleaning outside my room; not enough palapas by the pool for shade; people "save" chairs then don't use them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Lisa J
Thank you very much for your review. I am very glad to read that you were satisfied by the service we provided and that you enjoyed your time here at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe we hope to see you again soon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Pros - Staff, grounds, food on some days, the guy who made my scrambled eggs every morning, location relative to the strip, the royal tower, the roving trio who played and sang Spanish songs acapella at dinner (those guys were AWESOME! I would have grabbed my girl to dance if I had space in the dining room.)

Cons - Food on some days, Limited number of chairs by the pools and the beach, quality of alcoholic drinks.

Summary - Buy the upgrade for the Royal Tower, wake up early (6, 7am) to reserve your pool or beach spot with your towels, tip the staff, arrive to the resort and ask what specials they have this month/week and don't forget to HAVE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN! It's vacation!! .

PS (Negotiate your price to the hotel if you haven't done so in advance. They (the hounds) say $68 American for an immediate taxi but we negotiated $45.)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Everton D
Thank you for sharing your experience on this site. I am glad to learn that you had such a good time with us. We would love to welcome you once more on your next visit to Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I am returning to the RM next week, and it was my intention to review all 3 of the hotels we stayed at over Christmas, and the ones we are staying at over Easter to compare them all, once we had returned from this trip. The only reason I am bothering to do this beforehand is because I sent a friend a link about how I have lost all respect for TA reviews after my experience here.

We checked in on Dec 28th around 3pm and checked out on Dec 29th at 8am. It was $387 for ONE NIGHT when we stayed. I don't know about you, but my expectations for a resort on TA that gets a Certificate of Excellence Award in 2013, is $387 per night and 4 1/2 owl eyes is alot more, than a lackluster check- in with barely any smiles, a disgusting "dated" smelly rooms (think wet dog meets Lysol), with 6, count them SIX hairs on my bed when I pulled down the sheets!!!!! I swear, I almost threw up and checked out, but we were flying out the next morning, I pre-paid for the room, and I didn't know where to start to find another room that late in the game.

It was bad enough to go from the gleaming sweet staff at both the Royal Playa Del Carmen (which wasn't too much more per night, but I had other issues with it which I will detail in that review) and the Hard Rock Riviera Maya (most amazing time ever--love that hotel), to this crap at this price. I walked in my ocean view room, looked at the dated furniture, and the old tv set, took one wiff of the mildew and lysol had a bad date smell, and threw open the sliding glass doors to air it out.

I literally sat on the balcony for 30 min, and considered sleeping out there, the smell was so bad (the only saving grace of this hotel was the amazing view of the ocean). I decided to lay down b/c I was tired and upon pulling the sheets down saw a couple of hairs, then I looked closer and found SIX hairs. I almost lost it. I stormed out, went and immediately down to talk to the mgr on duty (a reasonable enough guy), told him how mortified I was, and he said, I will move you to a nicer room. Nothing like wasting an hour of my precious last day with that move.

The next room was in front of the "main" part of the hotel, and had no view of the ocean from the bed (unless you walked out onto the balcony) it was just as "dated" as the other std room, and instead of mildew and lysol had a baby, it reaked of a dirty old ashtray.

Again, I was miserable, but pulled down the sheets and at least there were no hairs on the bed (thank you housekeeping for doing your job).

Oh, we weren't allowed to make reservations at any of the "nice" restaurants that night b/c they cut reservations off before check in time. Oh, that makes alot of sense. So we went out to eat--nothing like paying almost $400 to have to go eat out and spend another $150 on dinner. We did go to Lorenzillo's Seafood restaurant which had great food and was a 5 min walk away.

Oh, and then I thought, well at least I can go to the gym...NOPE, I think they wanted to charge us $18 per person (or something over $10). Are you kidding me?

Bad service, gross rooms, no reservations at the "decent' restaurants, charging me to use the gym and oh, the kicker, a 30 min wait in line to eat in the "mediocre at best" breakfast buffet. It wasn't terrible, but the 30 min wait made it terrible, that was just the wait to get in-- then another 20 min wait after I got in to go thru the omelette station?

I should have refused to pay for our visit. I have been staying in nice hotels for a very long time. I can't remember walking away in all of my years with such contempt for a place. Everyone at the front should be fired.

Oh, did I mention when I asked the lady at the front where to eat (not front desk but some little table in the entry way) since we couldn't get reservations to eat at our own AI, she gave me an attitude?

Lastly, I just looked at the pictures of the rooms--I don't know where those "nicer" newer looking rooms are--but they certainly were no place where they put us in either room, not the first crappy room and not the second less crappy room with the ashtray smell.

Here is a link to what I found on booking.com pics. I think our room was picture #23, box tv (no biggie) and cheap looking rooms (not nearly as cute as the pic) and a ton more smelly.

Pure Garbage. And Ps. I am generally not this mean--look at my other 46 reviews!

Grand Park, you should refund my money, just thinking about our less than 18 hour stay with one crappy breakfast buffet, someone should have a conscience. Not even a drop of alcohol while there! Watch, nobody will care.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank chicago60614
Okaloca, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hi Chicago60614,
On behalf of Grand Park Royal Cancún Caribe we are sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay with us. Comments from our clients are very important for us and we truly appreciate your feedback that makes us improve our services in benefit of our clients. If you have any extra information to share with us please email us at BLANK EMAIL. Thank you.
Saint Thomas, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

The best part of this hotel compared to the others is the food and the sports and entertainment staff! The food choices you have are always different and so delicious! Also the sports and entertainment staff were always joining in with all of activities they planned, especially Alex when it came to making the activities fun; full of energy making your days exciting! Great holiday and experience, my trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed March 2014
Okaloca, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel from 22-03-14 to 28-03-14, I can say that this hotel is amazing the beach is the best one I've been in some other hotels and this one is better by far
The rooms: they're good size not too big the only thing is that my fridge wasn't cold enough the home maids did a great job we had towels with different animals every day
The restaurants: there's some restaurant that you need reservation they really worth it the Italian restaurant is amazing, the pizzas at the pool they're small but delicious and the buffet restaurant they change the kind of food every day.
The entertainment: they have plenty of activities to do they're at the main pool of this hotel always with some games or contests to do specially thanks to Alex and Miguel they're so friendly and speak very good English

I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Chelsea N
Thank you very much for sharing with us this wonderful review about our work and our services, it's a great pleasure to know that your experience was enjoyable and exceeded your expectations. I was most happy to read of your kind comments regarding the service you received. I have already congratulated the members of our staff that you mentioned.