“Gorgeous resort, memorable trip...sad to be home!”

Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe
Ranked #42 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here from August 6th-11th. Overall, it was a great trip and we would recommend the resort.

Pros:
- As many other reviewers have said, all of the rooms have an ocean view and the pools and beach were both gorgeous. Although we were in a garden view room on the first floor (we couldn't get an upgrade since we booked through Expedia), we enjoyed the easy access we had to both pools.
- The pools and bars were never too crowded. Although you had to wait sometimes for a poolside bed, there were an abundance of chairs around the pool and on the beach.
- Food was great. There are no exclusive restaurants that require you to pay extra, so we were able to try all of the different options and enjoyed everything. The buffet includes a large variety and different themes every night to keep things interesting. The Cafe near the lobby makes excellent cappuccinos and serves delicious gelato. You can also grab sandwiches there that are prepackaged and great for the plane ride back.
- The views from the rooftop bar are gorgeous.
- The location is great -- if you walk out the front and to the left, you will hit several malls, and if you go to the right, you will hit the clubs. We went with the hotel to CoCo Bongo on Friday night and felt safe walking home (it only took about 10-15 minutes to get home). However, we didn't really have much need to leave the resort.
- Most of the staff were excellent. As others have said, the entertainment staff offer options and games without being too pushy. They do a really, really great job of making everyone of all ages feel included and also give out small prizes (aka t-shirts) to winners of the games. Carlos was especially great and personable. He really went out of his way to make us feel welcome and it was impressive that he remembered everyone's names! Our favorite server was Roberto - we only met him on our second to last night, but he was a pleasure to talk to and his service was excellent.
- The variety and quality of drinks at the bar were great. Jesus was our first bartender, and he made the specialty drinks they offer very well. The Mojitos and frozen drinks are also great!
- This is a great place for couples and families. There were people of all ages and from all different parts of the world at the resort.

Cons:
- Our room was not ready when we first arrived, which was understandable since we got there around noon and check-in is at 3pm; however, they told us twice to come back in a half hour and then the room wasn't ready until around 4pm. We were able to go to the bars, buffet, and pool while we waited, but it would have been nice to settle in earlier in the day.
- Room service was a little slow - it took 40-50 minutes for the food each time we ordered and they were out of waffles one morning. This was disappointing since we had a morning excursion one day that prevented us from being able to get breakfast at any of the restaurants.
- The water in the shower tended to go between hot and cold if you showered around dinner time, but it wasn't too bad.
- There wasn't all too much nighttime entertainment at the hotel. They had a nighttime activity every night around 8:30 and we enjoyed trivia night and karaoke (like we mentioned, the entertainment staff made these events fun), but they usually ended relatively early and there were no shows or anything. However, they do offer one way transport and open bar service at a different nightclub every night (for a fee) and we took advantage of one of these trips, but it's hard to say whether you'd be better off going on your own. We went with the hotel simply because we felt more comfortable and it was convenient, but we would probably consider going on our own if we go back to Cancun.
- Having to pay extra for internet and gym access at an all-inclusive resort is a disappointment. Although we knew this was the case going into the trip, it is definitely something we wish the resort would reconsider. While we don't intend to spend our vacation checking email, it would have been nice to be able to log in even one day for free just to be able to tell our families we made it there safe, and wifi in the lobby would have been sufficient. As someone said below, this is probably a selling point for the timeshare folks... (On another note, I did attend a free yoga class and it was nice -- the instructor was kind enough to hold the class for me even though I was the only one who showed up. The room was very nice that it was held in but it was a little distracting that you can hear the music from the main gym area. With that said, although I love working out, I didn't really care to wok out while we were there -- our daily excursions and walks on the beach kept me active enough!)

Other notes for travelers:
- The weather was great and I would definitely go back at this time of year. Although it was humid, the sun was out every day while we were there (we only had rain two mornings and it never lasted more than an hour or so). The temperature of the ocean was perfect and the water was pretty calm throughout our trip.
- We went for 5 nights and 6 days and although I was sad to leave this paradise, it was a good amount of time for a trip and we were able to do everything we wanted to do.
- The ATM fees are pretty high there so while you don't need to bring cash with you, we would recommend taking out all of your money at one time instead of going back to the ATM several times over the course of your trip. It is also helpful to carry some singles since you will probably be tempted to tip throughout the course of your trip (bartenders, shuttle drivers, etc.).

Room Tip: We had a garden view room and enjoyed the easy access we had to both pools!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MeganDonn
Chuck560217, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

First I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review; I can assure you that all of our guests' comments and suggestions are taken into consideration since we are always looking for ways to improve and provide the best possible service. On that note I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time on your vacation. I would like to invite you to consider us again for your next trip to Cancun for we would be more than happy to welcome you once more.

There are newer reviews for Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was really nervous about travelling down South, I have heard horror stories about gross food and bad acoomodations. This resort did not disappoint, I would call it luxury!

The alcohol was always top grade and you could get any drink you asked for.

The room was beautiful and clean with an amazing view. The staff at all the restaurants were exceptionally nice and accomodating, the food was amazing, especially the Itialian restaurant!!

The ony complaint about this resort is that myself and cousin who are single would have loved to have more night life, but seriously this is the place to go and relax!

Try the Chichen Itza tour, it made our trip travelling to remote villiages on the tour bus as well as the catamaran boat tour to Isla Mujeres, what an experience!

From walking down the strip of beaches it was not hard to notice that this resort had the best and cleanest beach, there is always someone around cleaning.

I will definately be returning here.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade by fluke to the Royal Tower because of overbooking...amazing view but really every...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sheshemcarthur

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your final destination on your first trip to Mexico, I am extremely happy we were able to make a good impression of our beautiful country and that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We will be more than happy to welcome you on your next trip to Cancun so you can keep exploring the amazing places the Mayan Riviera has to offer.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 days and it was beautiful all around! The staff were so attentive, helpful, and nice. I felt like their number 1 priority was to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed. When we checked in we were upgraded to a room in the Royal Tower, which was a pleasant surprise. Our room had a patio literally on the beach!!! We had the most amazing view of the beautiful clear blue Caribbean Sea. Our room was one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. It had granite floor, King size bed, flat screen TV, a sofa, hot tub, and a mini bar (which is a mini fridge that they stock up with beer and liquor). The day we arrived they brought over a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries!
The resort has several open bars since its all inclusive. My two favorite were the swim-up bar in one of the pools and the rooftop bar! The food was delicious too. My favorite was the Oriental Restaurant. You have to make reservations for dinner but it is so worth it. We had a 5 course dinner and wine. The servers were so attentive I tipped even though most people don't tip since its all-inclusive and technically already included. I also tipped the bartenders because they are out in the sun all day yet still very nice and work very hard to serve so many people. Nobody seemed to be tipping the bartenders either. The buffet dinner was very good too. One night they were serving Spanish food and had live music which was very enjoyable! During the day they have snack bars that serve hot dogs, hamburgers, and another one pizza.
Overall the resort and gorgeous clear blue beaches felt like paradise!! I wish I was still there and cannot wait to go back!! I loved everything about my trip and stay at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank AlmaSori

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am really happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and that we were able to provide you with the good service you deserve. We would love to be your hosts again on your next visit to Cancun.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Arrived yesterday. So far front desk staff gets an F. Very rude when you ask about an amenity that the resort states on their website as having but do not. We were told we were wrong.

Aside from the RUDE front desk staff and a warm refrigerator in our room (which we will call about tomorrow) everything is 99% perfect.

Room Tip: We took the advice of other reviewers and upgraded to the tower. Not disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Madonna1958

I apologize for the experience you had upon arrival, I hope you are enjoying your stay and if there is anything we can do to make you feel more comfortable please let us know.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Amazing Food, great choices all around! I loved that you have a view of the sun rise, it's amazing! All Rooms have a view of the ocean! The room was great, the house keeping was good. I personally loved the entertainers! Miguel, Cesar and Diego were the best! They were so funny and so high energy! They had some great activities all day and it was great that they interacted with the guests. It made my stay very memorable. I would recommend this place to couples. It's a great place.

Ill be back soon :)

Demetre

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Demetre P

Thank you for your great review, I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Last year we stayed at the Omni for 6 nights and the Grand Park for 6 nights. We had such a good time at the Grand Park we decided to stay there this year. This was our 5th trip to Cancun. We were there July 9th to July 19th and we upgraded to the royal tower room 2206 which was well worth it .
The beach is beautiful and the pools are nice and clean. I just wish that the quiet pool would enforce the no children allowed. Don't get me wrong I love kids but there should be an adult pool only.
This year we ate at the oriental and Italian restaurant both were excellent. (With upgrading to the royal tower we didn't have to stand in line for reservations the front desk did it for us)
This resort is in walking distant to everything which is great.
My tip for anyone going to any resort is to remember that the people that work there work very hard so it's nice to tip them they deserve it. Just remember to bring lots of 1's and 5's!!!
And because we upgraded we had free wifi in the lounge located in the royal tower.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michele K

I am really happy that we made such a good impression on you that you decided to come back to GPRCC, and that you were not dissapointed in doing so. We would love to welcome you again on your next visit to Cancun. Thank you for sharing your opinion on this site.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Nice hotel. Good location. Great beach. Nice pools. Kids enjoyed the Oki waterpark . Nice Rooms and bathrooms. Nice and very Helpful staff. Kid friendly and good activities. A la carte restaurants good.

Only negatives: Noisy hallways into the wee hours (guess that is to be expected at a family hotel) and the buffets were only good for breakfast. For lunch and dinner they were always cold and not very tasty (stick to the a la carte restaurants)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CamAnt

We will be looking into the suggestions you made, we are always looking for ways to improve. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with us, we would love to welcome you once again. Thank you for sharing your experience on this site.