“Awesome”

Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was fantastick! It was the CLEANEST hotel I've ever stayed in. The staff were amazing. The white sanded beach is to die for! The food was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel. I did not take my children with me but totally recommend it if you would like to take children. It's a nice, beautiful establishment! I would stay there again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from 5 days at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe and we had a blast on our trip to Cancun. We are both well traveled and not picky, but experienced, so don't take the positives or negatives below as the rantings of an un-seasoned, American, non-traveler:

Positives: The hotel is beautiful, with a great beach, clean and in good repair facilities, lots of pool and beach seating, and a large "activities" pool that is separate from a smaller, infinity pool for adults with a quieter ambience (we spent most of our time here).

The bartenders were lots of fun and mixed everything we could come up with, including shots. The crowd was fun and many were tipsy, but no one out of control or belligerant. Definitely a more family crowd than some of the hard partying spring break resorts up the strip. However, the hotel had activities and shuttles for the partiers too, so it was a good mix.

Our room was comfortable and had a private balcony, a large bathroom, and real stone floors. My girlfriend and I were more than happy/comfortable. Plus, there was absolutely no noise from the familes and spring breakers that were in adjacent rooms. We both wanted to relax on this trip and had no trouble sleeping from 10:30pm to 7:30am every night.

The waitstaff were all super polite and were really chatty when we spoke to them in Spanish. If you have any Spanish skills, definitely try to talk to the staff. It will pay dividends and make your stay more fun.

The beach at this area of Cancun is great and has really strong waves for body surfing, ocean playing, and a view of the surf and water. A definite plus.

Though the hotel is farther down from the central/party hotel zone, turning right out of the hotel and walking about 300 feet gets you to the Cancun running path that goes the length of the hotel zone. Great if you are interested in getting up for a run or bike ride on your vacation.

The food in the Italian restaurant was great and the live Cello music a beautiful added touch. The buffet was of lesser quality, even for a buffet, but the breakfasts were great.

Negatives: I paid extra at booking for an ocean view room, but we were placed on the 1st floor (one above ground) and couldn't see the ocean at all. In fact, I'm not sure a single room at the resort would have had a worse view of the ocean. (I didn't bring this up with the hotel because it wasn't a huge issue to me, but other travelers should be aware). Also, the showers are quirky, so consistent heat wasn't acheived. We would set the temperature in the shower and it would oscillate +/- 10 degrees, so we'd cycle through comfortable, freezing, and burned every 90 seconds or so. We made it fun, but it wasn't a positive thing on its own.

The buffet food was a C, even for buffet food, and the options were not hugely diverse. The a la carte restaurants were great, but reservations had to be made at noon, on the day of dining. Our first day, we got in line for reservations at 11:45 and secured a 7:30PM reservation for 2. Our second day, we got in line for reservations a 12:02 and opted not to take the only remaining reservation time, 9:30PM, again for 2. A suggestion to the resort is to either provide more evening dining options, or make the restaurants more accessible.

There is no real coffee in the entire resort. All of it is powdered instant from vending machine style coffee makers. We were really looking forward to good, carribbean coffee, and this was a major disappointment. Drip folgers in my own kitchen would have been a huge upgrade. For the amount this all inclusive cost, a lack of real coffee is inexcusable.

The mini bars contained only 2 beers, 6 sodas, and 4 waters and were restocked inconsistently, so if you want to drink in your room, take big beverage cups to be filled at the bar or buy duty free alcohol and bring it with you. We were totally fine drinking at the bar, so this was a non-issue.

Summary: I would rate our time at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe as a B minus. I stayed last year at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton in Montego Bay Jamaica for almost the same price and would rate them as an A or A+ by comparison. Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe is a smaller resort and has limited dining options as a result. The lack of real coffee is completely inexcusable, and minor items like this slowly chip away at the quality of the overall experience. The staff are fun and friendly, and the rooms and facilities beautiful. The atmosphere is fun, but not overly rowdy and at no time did we feel pressured to buy any upgrades, party excessively, or do anything else that is stereotypically negative in Cancun. One thing lacking was the grand, classy, opulent ambience that I've seen at other resorts (like Palladium). This resort is nice, but I don't feel an overwhelming urge to return and for the price, I've been to much "classier" resorts that were more impressive.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a complimentary upgrade at arrival. If you purchase an ocean view, request a hig...
1  Thank Wirthdt
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My girlfriend (age 33) and I (age 41) just returned from a four night stay at the Grand Park Royal Cancun. The food and drinks were definitely better than some of the others we have stayed at in Cancun & Playa del Carmen area. The place is really clean, as others have said. Lots of maintenance people are cleaning and fixing things all over the property. Beach is huge, nice, and flat. No sand wall to climb up and down to get to water. We never had a problem getting a chaise or palapa on beach or at pool, even when we arrived late in morning.

Main bar off of lobby in lame at all times of night or day. Rooftop bar above italian restaurant is cool as hell, but was never busy, interesting or hopping. Not a great nightlife scene. Pool bars are fun until they close at 8PM.

Drinks were always good, with some name brand liquors. You have to ask for them or they will automatically pour you the well (cheap) stuff. Refer in room only has two beers though, and no liquor dispenser in rooms. All beer is draft Corona btw. Make sure to bring your own cup or you get a smallish 10 oz white styrofoam cup every time. Get a big plastic cup with lid & straw at Target or Walmart and bring with. Well worth the $10 investment.

Buffet was ok, super clean, and always bringing fresh food out, even minutes before it changes from breakfast to lunch, etc. Italian restaurant was pretty decent, although the presentation was better than the actual food itself. Never ate at Asian restaurant, as everyone said it was just OK. Wait staff was always friendly and very good over all.

I stayed here when it was the Hyatt Caribe ten years ago, it was nice then, and maybe even better well kept and maintained now then it was then. Great place for couples, maybe not so much so for big partiers.

Main pool had all the fun, games, and music, and the other pool was much quieter and relaxing with no kids at all. We did two days at each pool and enjoyed both. It did seem like the quiet pools bar was the place to be between 4-8 though. Had good times there and met many friendly people.

All in all, I give this place 4 out of five stars, and will return in June for a couples trip (we're all early 30's to early 40's and pretty big drinkers and partiers). Price is really fair for what you get, and not even my mother could complain about the cleanliness or upkeep of this resort.

Short walk to club area, and an even shorter walk to some good cheap mexican food @ The Surfin' Burrito.

If you have a late flight, they will let you keep your wristband and checkout later than noon, so you can eat, drink, and swim until you need to head for airport. Just ask them at front desk.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1411 which is in the southernmost building. Great beachfront view, quiet, nice room wi...
Reviewed March 14, 2013

So after the MUCH honeymoon disappointment provided by the Springs Spa and Resort in Arenal, Costa Rica, my wife and I decided to try Cancun, Mexico. Needlesstosay, our 1st Year Anniversary trip FAR SURPASSED the Honeymoon at Springs Spa & Resort.

The Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe was an amazing all-inclusive resort. (After our experience at the Springs, we will only travel to all-inclusives now) This place had GREAT views, AWESOME quality food, PHENOMENAL service at ALL the restaurants, bars, room service, maid service. Facilties were spotless and the chronic cleaning was greatly appreciated. From the welcome drink upon arrival, to the doorman opening the door for everyone everytime, to the tour desk representative, to the activities and anti-spring breaker protocol. Truly a restful and enjoyable time. We will DEF be returning there. Oh, and tips are always appreciated but never solicited.

The ONLY cons I would provide as other visitors have already stated would be: the pushy time-share presentatives and the inability to get a reservation for the speciality restaurants. Thankfully, my wife is fluent in Spanish and informed the Royal Timeshare liasons that their services are not desired. Furthermore, the a la carte cafe, buffets and burger stand we more than enough and delicious to satisfy our hunger.

Side note: WEAR SPF 50+ SUNSCREEEN! We did not respect the Mayan sun gods and got FRIED!

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade upon check in and they usually will provide it free if available.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went to Cancun for a Bachelorette Party weekend with 9 other girls. Our trip was February 28 - March 3, and sadly, the weather was mostly cloudy and windy with some rain. There was only 1 day that had sun, but it was still windy. Sadface. That was a damper but not the hotel's fault, of course. We still made the best of our trip, though. Our 1st night there, we went to the lounge for some drinks. Whoever reviewed that there was top shelp liquor, lied. Throughout the hotel, we later discovered, there was at least Stoli vodka, however in the lounge, for some reason, they didn't have any liquor that we even recognized the name.

Short notes:
*buffet was small and limited
*mini bar in rooms were only stocked with 2 cans of beer and 2 water bottles
*Italian restaurant (El Mirador) was actually good. Impressed.
*hotel was always clean
*great view of the pool/beach from our rooms
*don't get the wifi. 2 friends bought it and weren't really able to use it because of weak/bad connection.
*Everyone on the staff was FANTASTIC! (They are the reason this hotel was even given a 4 instead of a 3).

Entertainment staff and buffet waiters were my favorite. So energetic and friendly. During the day, be sure to participate in the activities they have planned. It's fun and you're on vacation! Diego, Jorge, Monique, Miguel were wonderful. Ivan and German were awesome waiters.

This hotel was good but not great. Like I mentioned, hotel staff made it more enjoyable. Good vacation, but I'd probably stay at a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my first time in Cancun and im already planning to comeback in July to this same resort, I give a plus to the 24hr room service, and also Adrian dupuis from the entertainment group made our stay a lot more pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights at the Grand Park Royal. Overall for the price of this hotel it was excellent! Just as many other reviewers have stated, we were upgraded to a beach front room with our own terrace. Our view was amazing. The room was very clean, nice and cool. The beds could have been more comfortable. The resort was a good size and not overcrowded. The restaurants were comparable with the price we paid. The cafeteria was typical cafeteria food with lots of choices. The Asian restaurant was good, I did like the sushi but it was certainly not the best sushi I have ever had. The quality of the fish just wasn't there. All the appetizers were good. The Salmon was amazing! The duck wasn't the best... kind of dry and the meat tasted different compared to duck I have had in the past. The Italian restaurant was very good. We enjoyed all our food, the salmon again was great along with the seafood soup and the braised beef. All the waiters at all restaurants and cafeteria were very nice and attentive. The pools were nice but very cold. All the bartenders were great and you actually got decent quality vodka and rum which surprised me. I was expecting well and we good quality stuff. The activities were good (most of all volleyball). We went out to Coco Bongo one night and Sweet/Daddy-O/Roof Top and our guide Esteban was great with everyone from the resort, he was actually our favorite staff member. Just really fun and a great personality. Overall We would visit this resort again as long as the price does not go up. I absolutely feel as we got our money's worth and had a great vacation.

3  Thank Sweetpea0060