“Perfect get-away/Great value”

Ranked #41 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Marshalltown, Iowa
“Perfect get-away/Great value”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I had researched the best hotel for the money in Cancun, and booked this one. We were NOT disappointed! Went on Fri. in early March and left on Tuesday. Stayed in the Main Tower--Royal Tower is the upgrade. Asked for a QUIET room and were put on the top (6th) floor. Very quiet, BEAUTIFUL view--every room faces the ocean. Delicious, fresh, diverse food at the Cocay buffet every day and meal we ate there. El Mirador: Nice Italian restaurant. Go to the restaurant at 11:45AM to make reservations for THAT night. The service was very good--intimate setting with cello soloist. Food wasn't "top notch", but almost. Excellent drinks at all bars--Absolut, Cuervo, etc. No Jagermeister, but I brought my own. The staff was ALWAYS cleaning--everywhere. Always looking nice, and so friendly and helpful. I took 50-one dollar bills to tip. Great idea! Always something to do up until about 11pm, if you want to. The zero depth pool was child-free and quiet, so we hung out there. The other pool had action. Location is perfect--walking distance to shops and clubs and bus stop is right there. Beach is sooooo beautiful and clean. Downfalls: Warm refrigerator, so we iced our beers and soda and water if we needed (they give you 2 of ea. every day). It was very windy in early March, so I couldn't Boogie Board in the ocean because it was "Red Flag" day each day. Can't control Mother Nature. THIS IS ALL-INCLUSIVE and as wonderful as everyone says. I would go back in a heart-beat!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter.
1 Thank Mom_in_Iowa_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,137)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Our trip to Cancun was exceptional, mostly because of this fabulous resort. The staff is so friendly and accommodating, the food is superb and the pools and beach or fantastic. We stayed in the Premier Beach Front Tower and it was wonderful. The rain shower is delightful! We felt very safe here, despite all the recent worries about safety in Cancun. It is a 10 minute walk from the Flamingo Mall, where you can buy pretty much anything you will want, and it is very easy to take the city bus if you need to. We did a day trip to Isla Mujeres and weren't quite sure what bus stop to get off to get to the pier but the bus drivers are very courteous and just asking him to announce the correct stop for us was all that was necessary. The restaurants are great but you have to make reservations at a couple of them. The buffet restaurant is amazing. Lots of options! I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The Beach Front building is very nice and worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Normal, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This has been my girlfriend and I's 3rd year in a row traveling to Cancun for spring break but the first time staying at this resort, needless to say this was our favorite trip we've taken, period. The resort was amazing from the moment we arrived. The staff was immediately attentive to our bags and seemed like they had been expecting us. We were greeted with an adult beverage :) and then it was time to check in. We asked for an upgrade and were told it would have been $250 USD per night, somewhat unbelieveable and obviously not feasable for our budget. That would have probably been the only downside to our trip is that we really weren't presented any options as far as our room, which, we did book it ourselves and not through the hotel so that was to be expected, not their fault. Food -----> Amazing, two stellar restaurants available for reservation only as well as a plethra of other snack stations and buffets available, and room service was on top of it when we needed a late night snack. Rooms were always cleaned and never dealt with anything that seemed the least bit out of place. But let's get down to the real reason we were there, to party! The entertainment staff made our trip what it was. They always kept us involved and never acted like they were too busy, which they were! Monique held her own as the only female entertainer and we fell in love with her all over again. She stole our hearts again this year as we had met previously at another resort. Although, I will say, Carlos, Diego, Tony, and Gustavo were great for a laugh and were always looking after us. By the end of it we hated leaving the entire entertainment staff more than anything. They made our trip unforgettable and we will surely never forget them!.... Bottom line... I hope to return to this resort at some point in my life!!

Room Tip: Garden view..... but probably not the first floor, because you will only view the trees.
3 Thank Matthew P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The resort grounds are beautiful. It never felt too crowded, and it was nice to choose which pool you wanted to lay by. The main pool had the entertainment staff by it and played games and music, while the premier pool was quite but very beautiful and relaxing. One downfall would be the lack of resort entertainment in the evenings if you are not into going to the clubs. On the other hand, if you enjoy going downtown and partying at nightclubs, you will have a great entertainment staff to join you. They all want to make sure you have a great time and each one has such a great personality. Monique definately made our vacation a blast always being friendly and having a good time with us at the nightclubs. As for out room, if you stay in the garden view, it has its pros and cons. You definately don't see much of the water but it is close to everything. Absolutely no complaints about the food. There are plenty of options for all times of the day! Great resort, would love to go back!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms do not offer much of a view, ask to upgrade if you can
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Caribe from March 12th until the 19th. My first impressions were spectacular. Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the staff and given cold drinks which were splendid. However this feeling was short lived as a few of our requests went unnoticed. One month prior to us leaving, I had called the hotel in hopes of getting a cot for our room. This request was ignored and I was forced sleep uncomfortably for the next week. Other than that the room was fantastic with a wonderful view of the ocean. The rooms were clean and well kept. In terms of food there were some problems. The breakfast was great however the lunch was the opposite. If you are a big seafood eater I would totally recommend this place. If you are not, then you might want to spend your vacation elsewhere. The lunch selection was very similar day by day. As I was traveling with 2 teenage boys, there were a lot of complaints about the lack of selection. In fact, they rarely ate at the buffet for lunch but rather went to the pizza corner and the hot dog shack. Of the 6 dinners, the best was by far the italian buffet. The tex-mex was delicious as well. However, the 2 restaurants on the grounds were nowhere near perfect either. The Oriental had small portion sizes and the selection was not great. The other "El Mirador" was better but again had some issues. The food took quite a while to arrive and the pizza was not so good. The Cafe Sole in the lobby was fantastic. We must have eaten 100 scoops of ice cream and tasted all of their other delicious treats, highly recommended.As far as food that is about it. If you are looking to spend a day out perhaps going snorkelling or scuba diving, DO NOT book with the company that is affiliated with the hotel. I believe it is called Aqua World. Our experience on the snorkelling excursion was horrible. My 4 teens went with me and we were looking forward to spending a nice day looking at the colourful fish by the reef. But this was not the case. Our trip began with a group of 15 or so college students getting on the boat with beer funnels and floaty toys. This was not a good sign as it translated into the majority of them getting wasted and urinating and vomiting in the water surrounding the boat. The snorkelling itself lasted approximately 25 minutes and then we exited the water. Before leaving the hotel we were told a boat was going to come every half-hour to pick up anyone that was wishing to leave. Once again this was not the case as we were literally stranded on a stationary boat for about 2 and a half hours waiting to be picked up. I can go on and on but hopefully you understand the point. The bars at the hotel were amazing and the bartenders along with all of the staff were super nice and pleasant to be around. I have never felt inclined to tip so much in my life! Moving along I must talk about the water. The pools were great and there was always some activity going on in the pool area. The ocean as well as the beach was one of the best around and it worked out especially well for our family. The waves were huge and the water was warm, just how my boys liked it! And of course we all returned with a nice tan. I definitely recommend walking into Cancun itself if you are bored as there are plenty of things to see and enjoy, as well as a must need trip to Starbucks! One more turn off about the hotel was the lack of things to do at night. We found ourselves sitting in the room as early as 8. Although I wished the hotel had free wifi, it did not. I think that is about it so hopefully you will find this helpful and book the hotel that is perfect for you!

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank James M
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This was our first trip to Cancun and it was marvelous! We visited the fiesta pool everyday. The entertainment crew Carlos, Monique, Diego, Tovo, Benjamin were wonderful! Very upbeat and engages the visitors in activites! Our only regret was not bringing our daughters. The food was excellent at the buffet. The oriental resteraunt was also very good. We did not meet an unwelcoming face. A revisit is a must. From the bartenders to the housekeeping staff everyone was great"

• Stayed March 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I don't even know where to being... If you want to make sure you get the most of your trip just print out my review and take it with you when you visit or copy and paste it onto Microsoft word. I will try and hit all the points, at least the necessary one's. Email me for further details.

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort from March 8th until the 14th. We are both 28 years old and wanted a place that had a mixture of quiet afternoons and good nightlife activities. This was the first time being in Cancun for the both of us and boy are we happy to picked Grand Park Royal to accommodate us with our expectations. We arrived on-time and check in was a breeze.

First off, arriving to the resort was a breeze. We used Best Day for our travel and paid only $30 something dollars round trip for the both of us. You can book online in minutes and print out the itinerary.

Once you get past the what it seemed like the never ending customs line in Mexico keep walking until you get outside and you will see a bunch of Best Day Travel Employees wearing the uniform with their logos on the shirts. Simply go up to them and show them your reservation. They will help you with your bags and you will be on the van in no time, they might make a stop or two before yours to drop off others along the way.

One good thing to note is that Best Day also arranges a meeting with you once they drop you off for later in the day to schedule your pick up time from the resort back to the airport. During this time they will tell you about special prices they offer for excursions and night life. DO NOT BUY INTO THIS! They are only good for transportation to and from the resort and airport. They tried telling my boyfriend and I that for $130 each we can get VIP access to certain hot clubs like COCO BONGOS. AT first it seemed like a great idea and my boyfriend nearly jumped at the offer but we decided we just got here and needed some time to take everything in. IM GLAD WE DID. we later found out the resort has FANTASTIC entertainment staff that charge anywhere from $45 to $65 to take you out. You get VIP access, skip the line, open bar if not VIP bottle service all night and transportation to the club. The way back is not included but everything is walking distance and safe. $1 to take the bus, $10 the most for a cab (don't let them try and hassle you). Our resort is along the same strip past other resorts and into downtown. Take a right out of the resort and you will past Le Blanc Resort to your right a short distance away and continue going straight. You will see SENOR FROGS across the street and the clubs and market are 2 minutes past there.

Once we got to Grand Park Royal we were greeted with smiles and "Hola." While you check in you are brought a welcome drink. This drink did not appear to have alcohol so you can take it to the indoor buddha bar and ask for some liquor to put into it if you want to get the party started. We were given our room keys as well as towel keys for the trip and they put on our bracelets which signified our all- inclusive benefits. DO NOT LOSE THE BRACELET, THEY CHARGE ABOUT $80 TO REPLACE IT. I witnessed two people's bracelets fall off for no reasons just out of the blue so I question the durability. Mine stayed on just fine the entire trip. Even though I asked for a room on the 6th floor or higher I was guaranteed that the 2nd floor I was given in the premier building would be to die for. THEY WERE RIGHT!!! Never have I stayed in a more beautiful room with a view that only postcard can brilliantly capture. I tell you that the upgrade is worth it, definitely definitely worth it because the premier building offers all rooms beach front view. But do it when you book your trip because they will charge an arm and leg at the resort. If you really have the extra money. YOU ARE LITERALLY ON THE BEACH and you have direct access to the beach. This is also where you pick up FREE INTERNET SERVICE using the wifi from (GUESTREALRESORTS). You should be able to pick it up at the bottom of the premier steps or if you have a room on the first or second floor. At least you can check your email or make a call using SKYPE like I did using my IPOD.

Room service is blah. Nothing special but better than nothing when you want to stay in your room and eat.

MAKE SURE YOU TIP!!!! Especially to the maids directly when you see them in your room or know that they will be going in. Also, tip the waiters and waitresses as well as the cleaning staff that clean the pools, chairs, and everything else. I have never seen such hard working people that am to please as I have here at this resort. You will be greeted with an endless array of "Hola" for the length of your stay. They really know how to make you feel welcomed.

Speaking of Senor Frogs, you must go there! They are incredible. We went for lunch and had a fantastic time. They have a water slide inside and the staff are comedians you will LOVE it. Our drinks came in what looked like Penis shaped souvenir cups, you can take these with you for memories. They have excellent wings! Took lots of pictures.

Be aware of the market there. They will hassle you until you just want to run out of there. We went in to look around and possibly buy something but with all the "Come here, Look here, I got what you need" it was so annoying we couldn't take it and just left.

Clubs to go to.. "The City"- Largest Night Club in Latin America. Holds 6,000. CRAZY AMAZING OMG YOU HAVE TO GO HERE. Best club experience I have ever had in my entire 28 years. I am from New York and this Club blows any club in NY out the water. Worth every penny. Not IF, but WHEN you go don't pay attention to the jerks bringing you the bottles that expect a tip. My boyfriend gave this one guy a few bucks and he literally said "that's a small tip." Tell them that you paid for an all inclusive and did not bring money." Just politely say NO!. We also went to The "Sweet" Night club but left after an hour. Was not our cup of tea. Did not like it at all. Not at all comparable to "The City." Also, Copacabana night club was an after hours pool party which was nothing special so I don't recommend it either. We did not have a chance to go to COCO BONGOS, which we wish we had so I would recommend that place too from what I have heard.

Entertainment staff were nice. We did not spend a lot of time in the main pool "Fiesta no Siesta" area because we prefer quiet during the day but I can happily say CARLOS, DIEGO and BENJAMIN went above and beyond to make sure our stay was one to remember. Gustavo was also very nice and we met Monique but didn't get to know her very well. Without the entertainment staff I do not think this resort would be rated as high as it is, they really really make you feel like they are there for you. WE LOVE YOU CARLOS!!! DIEGO YOU MADE OUR TRIP TO "The City" Unforgettable. If you read this review and plan to go- tell Diego I said "Body shots body shots!!!"

Like I said this resort is in a prime location and walking distance to EVERYTHING so stay here! Also, we were not hassled by timeshare folks. We received the postcard under our room door to pick up a welcome package but just ignored it. This is a timeshare invitation and you do not have to go unless you are interested.

We opted out of going on any excursions because we just wanted to relax and enjoy our time. If you do decide to go on any excursions, walk out the front of the resort and out into the parking lot until you reach the front. To the left side right next to the bus stop is a trip adviser or trip something that sell excursions for half the price. I heard Xel-Ha is pretty incredible.

Make sure you wear lots of sun block. I know someone who got sun poisoning and it can ruin your whole trip. If you are fair but can tan wear SPF 30 and apply continuously and you will still get a nice golden tan.

In terms of Bali Beds and lounge chairs, wake up early to reserve yours. You can leave a towel on them and go back to sleep and come back later and it will still be there. I found this to be unfair and annoying since people leave their towels and are gone all day but the staff does not enforce the rules so you have to reserve if you want anything. We got bali beds once and that is because my boyfriend and I woke up at 5:30AM to reserve it. We mostly opted to go on the beach and lay on lounge chairs near the premier building or take our towels out on the sand. Either way we never went into the pool because the beach was too breathtaking to pass up. The waves are insane. Loved them!

Restaurants. Hmmm well from what I hear everyone else say supposedly it is fantastic for an all-inclusive. The food all in all was not bad, per se, let's just say I'm a huge food enthusiast and my stomach did not sit well with most of the food except La Concha- a seafood restaurant opened for breakfast and lunch. They had excellent food for lunch on a daily basis, it is a la carte, though they had specials everyday. Fish tacos and salmon alfredo were extremely delicious. NO reservation needed. The only two restaurants that reservations were needed was the Italian El Mirador and The Oriental Restaurant which were horrible in my opinion. To make a reservation, be there from 12-3. Maybe it was my fault for ordering sushi in Mexico but it was the worst I have ever tasted- PLEASE DO NOT TRY IT unless you want to be on the toilet for 2 hours constipated, just saying. The Italian restaurant is definitely over hyped. The long line already forming at 11:45 would give off the impression to a typical person that they would be excellent but not in my opinion. I asked for my meat well done and it came bloody. I didn't bother sending it back, my boyfriend and I just left and went to the buffet after both trying the Oriental and El Mirador. Now on to the buffet, this is where you should have the majority of your food. It definitely "fantastic" compared to the Oriental and Italian. For breakfast they have fresh made omelets, you choose the ingredients and the cook prepares what you want. For dinner the buffet is great also, there are nightly themes like "Mexican Night" or "Chef's Choice." You might even get lucky like we did and have a table next to you offer fresh cooked barracuda that was caught just hours before dinner. The resort cooks and prepares the fish that you catch and present it beautifully to your table. What a treat! Basically, I recommend the buffet for breakfast and dinner and La Concha for lunch everyday.

The indoor buddha bar was great, the outdoor rooftop lounge was nice and romantic. The pool bars were all excellent. When you go to this resort you must must try the following shots...

Coochicoo
Scooby-doo
Superman

All incredible! What more can I say? This place was beyond our expectations and we would 100% return back here. It was paradise. The treatment by staff was amazing. This is a place you can relax and feel like your in heaven. Beautiful all around magnificent well kept resort. I already miss it as I type behind my computer in my inferno hot windowless office counting down the days until I return.

Room Tip: Definitely worth upgrading to ocean front or royal suite! FREE INTERNET (guestrealresorts) ON THE BO...
3 Thank Diana S