“Love the Cancun Clipper Club”

Cancun Clipper Club
Ranked #83 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 10, 2005

The Cancun Clipper Club has been and will always be my home away from home, and on a yearly basis i meet my Cancun family there at the CCC...My family are people i met there since 1994 and continue to meet every year...It is a reunion for all of us..The staff at the Cancun Clipper Club from the top honcho to the bottom are very curtious and attentive to people..I love the Clipper.

5  Thank dolfin2006

hobart, Indiana
Reviewed March 20, 2005

My buddies and I really enjoyed our stay and the clipper club. The staff there was frendly and nice. We had a very good maids and a cool phone technician. Our director of activities was a nice guy, he told us all of the cool clubs to go to and gave us VIP passes which didnt work but we still got in. I would definitely recomend this hotel to someone who does not want to spend alot of money on a hotel.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 10, 2005

I was skeptical upon booking our vacation at the Cancun Clipper Club after reading mixed reviews, but decided to take a risk since it is within walking distance of the best nightlife in Cancun. I am very glad we took that risk!

My husband and I (who are both 30 years old) stayed at the Clipper Club from December 31, 2004 through January 4, 2005. I wanted to celebrate my 30th birthday in warmth for once, and Cancun did the trick. Our flight was early and our shuttle driver was wonderful, so we arrived at the hotel around noon. Our room wasn't ready yet, but we only had to wait in the lobby for about 15 minutes before they gave us the keys. We ended up on the first floor in the corner, and it was an adequate room. The room had two double beds and a normal sized bathroom. It had a very large closet area too. I really liked the view of the lagoon, and instead of curtains, they have these cute arched shutters in the room which block out all the light if you like it really dark. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton, then stay at the Ritz Carlton. If you want a clean, safe, fairly-priced hotel within walking distance of all the action, the Clipper Club is for you.

The hotel provides free bottled water in your room which is replaced daily. I brought about 10 bottles of my own water to drink, but we used all of the water that the hotel supplied too. The air conditioning worked fine and we also had a celing fan in our room. The water pressure in the shower and sink was fine as well. There is a safe in the room and you just have to pay $1 per day for the key if you want it. There were about 15 television channels, half of them in Spanish. The CNN is the British version. They have HBO. It was adequate for us because we don't really watch TV on vacation anyway.

During our stay, we encountered a visitor in our room - a tiny lizard (it was probably an anole or a gecko - I'm not up on my reptile species - we encountered the exact same kind when we were in Key Largo and Key West in July). He was hiding behind the water bottle in the bathroom when we arrived, and my husband just shooed him out the door. But he reappeared in our room 3 more times over the next few days (of course it could have been another one, but we like to believe that he liked us and wanted to be friendly). We named him Frank. It didn't bother either of us that there was a creature in our room because it was harmless - it would be more annoying if there were mosquitoes in our room or something. I just made sure to keep flip flops on at all times in the room just in case (which I would have anyway because the floor is made of a nice tile that gets a little chilly on your feet).

The pool water at the hotel was VERY chilly - maybe the coldest pool I've ever tried to get into. I think it's because it's in the shade half the day. It took me about 5 minutes to get my entire body in the water, but once in my husband and I took advantage of the volleyball net in the pool. Hitting the ball back and forth warmed us up. The pool is HUGE and has a cute little foot bridge that goes over it. The swim up bar was nice too, although we never took advantage of it. To get ice, you have to go to the bar (which also has a walk up side), and the bartenders were always very friendly whenver we asked them for ice. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but the menu looked good.

The only problem we encountered was a shortage of room towels. I think the maids gather all the towels in the morning when they clean the rooms, and they don't have enough to replace them right away, so they have to wait until the towels they have removed from the room are washed and dried and then replace them. We usually hung up our towels after we showered just in case we needed the towels before we got clean ones (the maids cleaned the rooms in the early afternoon, and then would come back by around 5 PM or so to give you clean towels). It wasn't really a big deal because at home we hang our towels up after using them and use them more than one day - I don't understand these people that demand 4 towels each per day - stop being lazy and hang up your towel!! If I have one suggestion for the hotel, it would be to order more towels just so they can make up the room and be done with it. Now that the place is owned by Best Western, MAYBE this will happen. There was one day at the pool when they ran out of pool towels and we had to wait for about an hour before we got one, but not a huge deal.

The greatest thing about the hotel was that it was right across the street from the most hoppin' area in Cancun - Punta Cancun. You just walk down a short driveway (with a guarded gate, if you are worried about security) and there is a restaurant right there on the corner (it was actually the restaurant where they filmed some scenes from Cocktail, if you are into movie trivia). They had live entertainment out front every night. There is also a TGIFridays which we patronized. Then you cross the street and there are many other restaurants including McDonalds and Burger King if you want the familiar. You walk down a shop lined alley and you are amongst many clubs - The City, Dady'O and Dady Rock, Coco Bongo, Bulldog Cafe, Carlos & Charlies, etc. Senor Frogs is just a few minutes away by foot. The Forum by the Sea Plaza is right there too (a beautiful open "mall" with Hard Rock Cafe, Johnny Rockets, and many other places). It's great because you can walk from the hotel and have a bite to eat and if you can't decide which club you want to go to, you just walk by each one and there are guys at each place telling you what the cover is that night - then you can figure out which club you want to go to, purchase your wristband so you don't have to wait in line later, go back to the hotel and change, and then go have a night on the town with no worries about having to drive home!!! We went to Bulldog Cafe for New Years Eve and we went to The City our last night in Cancun. Another great thing about the location of the hotel is that you can walk to the beach on the Caribbean side AS WELL AS the beach on the Gulf side! Take your pick!

I read about people being pressured by time share sales people at the hotel, and this never happened to us. Because this hotel is now owned by Best Western, not all of the rooms are time share rooms, and the people at the front desk are hotel employees, not time share people. There IS a travel office in the lobby that you can go into if you want - they might try to sell you a time share if you walk in there. I booked a day trip to Chichen Itza before we left the U.S. (highly recommend it - Gray Line Tours), so we didn't need the services of the travel agency in the hotel. On the Saturday night that we were there, we came back to our room after dinner and there was a flyer stuck to the door inviting us to a free breakfast by the lagoon the next morning - I believe THIS is where they try to sell you a time share - I think they do it every Sunday morning. We weren't around to see it though because Sunday was the day that we were going to Chichen Itza and our shuttle driver picked us up at 7:30 A.M.

This hotel is also directly next door to the Plaza La Fiesta Supermarket which is attached to a HUGE gift shop. I really liked this because I was afraid we'd have to make the jaunt to Walmart to get small food items, but we only had to walk a few feet! Also 2 blocks away is the Plaza Caracol mall - when we first arrived we decided to explore the area and we ended up here first. This place is HUGE and you could spend a couple hours in here just wandering around and not knowing if you have made it back to where you started. There are ATMS in Plaza Caracol and we just withdrew as many pesos as we thought we'd need for the whole trip so we wouldn't have to find another ATM. On the other side of the hotel is a large flea market if you want to try your haggling skills.

If you want to take the bus (which is easy and cheap) they pick up right in front of TGIFridays - very convenient (6 pesos each way - about 50 cents each way). We took the bus to Plaza La lsla which is a brand new very beautiful outdoor mall - they have a movie theater there which is also cheap - about $4.50 USD per person!! We saw Ocean's Twelve. The movies are in English with Spanish subtitles.

One of my favorite things about the Clipper Club is that they have nice new hammocks hanging in tiki huts around the pool area. My husband and I would hang out in these after our nights on the town when we didn't feel like going to sleep yet. And there was no one else by the pool at night, so it was very quiet. And you can sit there and look up at the green lasers in the sky from the clubs. Our room was in a building on the lagoon side closest to the front, and we never had a problem with hearing any noise from the clubs in our room. The only noise we ever heard was when our neighbors had an annoying kid that screamed for an hour one morning.

I would definitely stay at the Best Western Cancun Clipper Club again. It was MUCH cheaper than all of the hotels in the Hotel Zone, mainly because it is not all-inclusive. But I prefer it NOT to be all-inclusive because I like to have the freedom to eat where I want (or not feel obligated to eat when I'm not hungry), and I have never priced out a trip where an all-inclusive would be cheaper. We paid about $102 USD plus tax per night to stay at the Clipper Club. I highly recommend it because it's within walking distance of all the action!!! Go Clipper Club!

• Stayed: January 2005
41  Thank TVChick16
Reviewed March 7, 2005

Stayed at the Clipper Feb 28th - Mar 2nd and again Mar 6th. I was a little leary but hopeful from previous reviews. My sister and I had a great time. The location is excellent. The restaurant food and service was great and very reasonably priced. It was a little more difficult to find chairs by the pool and the pool was not heated, but this is common in Mexico (even at the Marriott Casa Magna, where we also stayed, the pool was not heated). Even though the hotel was full, we had no problem finding chairs by the peaceful lagoon. The hotel also offered beach passes to the Fiesta Americana nearby, for those who wanted the ocean. We found it remarkably quiet being so close to the action. I only heard the music from the bars on the street if you had your window open. The staff was great and we were able to get our rooms early at 12 noon both times. We had 3 more friends join us the last night and they also agreed with that the clipper surpassed our expectations. I am a travel agent and travel a great deal throughout Mexico and the United States and have stayed at 1 star up to 5 star and timeshares, and consider the clipper a true jem. My only concern is that the water in the shower, in both rooms we stayed in, was not very warm. You did have to turn on hot only without cold, and was still not very warm. If you are expecting a 4 or 5 star, this is not the place for you. If you want a great deal and would like to be pleasantly surprised, then go for it!

16  Thank Annick
Reviewed February 28, 2005

The hotel staff were very good anything we asked for they were right on it ; what we didnt like were the stuffy guests that but their towels on the lounge chairs and woulded let anyone else use them. They were down right rude

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2005

We were disappointed by the Clipper Club for the following reasons: we had to call and go to the front desk three times for towels but never got any, finally went down a fouth time, handed a few items and promised more BUT NEVER GOT THEM. Restaurant never did get our order right. The noise from the clubs nearby will keep a light sleeper up all night...me and my two year old didn't sleep until mid afternoon the next day....really frustrating! If you want to hang out by the UNHEATED pool, better get out there early....no later than 6:30am with a towel in hand because any later they are all claimed and there is nowhere to sit/laydown. Nothing uglier than a bunch of tan crazy senior citizens fighting over lounge chairs! On a good note, the reception was good, the porters were helpful and Syliva is a very sweet reliable babysitter if you want to go out for a late dinner or club....I wouldn't go back is the bottom line though.

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2004

Let me just say that the people who worked at the Clipper were extremely nice and always called you by first name. The location was great - right in the middle of everything or a short walk away! When we checked in they changed our room 3 times - the rooms were not exceptable!! I never complain about accomodations, but this was horrible. We stayed one night, checked out and booked the rest of the week at the Riu Palace. Best Westerns are usually a good chain, but I would not recommend this to anyone! The pictures on the website are very deceiving about the rooms and the showers had no pressure - a little more than trickled out.

• Stayed: November 2004