“A Week in Paradise”
Review of Mia Cancun

Mia Cancun
Ranked #103 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed for a week in the one bedroom suite with kitchen (Room 301) and could not have been more pleased. Four out of the five windows overlooked the Caribbean (the other looked out towards the lagoon); there was a huge balcony with a hot tub. The hotel room itself was a little older, and could use a some updating, but it was clean and very open. The staff was amazing and was there to help whenever necessary. Juan Carlos took care of us anytime we had questions, and gave us directions to all the places we wanted to go. Henrry was also a great help and very knowledgable about things to do in Cancun. This hotel is not for people looking for a huge resort like setting, it is definitely a smaller option, but in a good way. We would go back in a heart beat and were very sad to leave. Make sure to eat at Tacun, an authentic Mexican restaurant a few feet from the hotel, which serves some awesome food.

Room Tip: Get room 301 if possible, otherwise all rooms aside from the studios face the Caribbean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank AmyandJayden

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Like elshad's review below, we also stayed in a suite at the Mia Cancun (formerly Avalon Baccara). While my wife and I did not visit the Isla Mujeres property, the bulk of their review is extremely accurate. We also were not aware of the breakfast, which is more than adequate. The location is great, the beach is great, the ocean is swimmable, the water color is beautiful, the staff was friendly, there are bus stops within walking distance, and Flamingo Plaza is directly across the street, and extremely convenient for water and snacks. Since elshad did such a great job with the positive, I'd like reinforce something pointed out in several recent reviews.

I wanted to love this hotel, I really did.

The bed was enough to make me never stay again. Firm is an understatement. I think sleeping on the terra cotta tiles on the balcony might have been more comfortable. Address the bed situation, and I would stay here again, hands down. Don't, and I would stay elsewhere.

All in all, a great relaxing vacation. Would've been better with a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed for a week in the honeymoon suite at this hotel (now called Mia Cancun). The honeymoon suite was amazing- a giant room with a king sized bed, living room, kitchenette, lagoon and beachside balcony, and a private hot tub on the beach side balcony. We got a screaming deal on Orbitz and paid around $110 a night for this hotel.

The best things about this hotel:
-The free breakfast. We managed to miss that this hotel had breakfast included, but we were glad it did. Breakfast was fruit, juice, coffee, 2 eggs, meat, beans, toast, and a few tortilla chips. Lots of food and really pretty good.
-The staff. All the staff at the hotel were very nice and went out of their way to help us. Juan was especially nice and helpful, between helping us getting a rental car to recommending we visit the sister hotel on Isla Mujeres.
-The sister hotel at Isla Mujeres. From the ferry terminal a cab will take you to the Avalon on the Island for around $2.50. The beach at the hotel is the most beautiful beach we visited on our trip. Bring your snorkel gear- the fish get fed near the reefs and let you get really close to them. This was some of the best snorkeling on our trip. Also, the hotel will give you towels and you can use their facilities there. Not too many beach chairs, so get there early if that's important to you.
-The hot tub on our balcony. After a long, hot day in the sun, it was perfect to lay in the hot tub with the jets going and watching the waves come in.
-The beach at the resort. Soft, cool white sand, turquoise waves, and plenty of beach chairs. The beach at this resort has actual waves (unlike the Avalon at Isla Mujeres), and the red flag was always up (indicating unsafe swimming conditions). By the end of our trip we decided that maybe they always leave the red flags up for liability. We swam in the water (and so did lots of other people) and it was perfect- strong enough waves you could dive through them or body surf on them, but gentle enough you didn't feel like you were being swept away.
-Location. This resort is on the hotel road but not right by the noisy part of Cancun. It is easy to catch a bus to Coco Bongo's, but you can walk down the road without being inundated by drunk tourists. It made it feel private and quiet. Also, there is quite a good Mexican restaurant just north of the hotel, which was a nice place to grab a bite to eat.
-Updates. In general, this hotel is getting a lot of work done. It was apparent to us that the place had fallen in to a state of disrepair, but tons of work was done just in the week we were there. This included the air conditioners to the public areas being fixed and work on rooms.
-Style. This hotel feels like an authentic piece of Mexico. I liked not having Wi-fi anywhere but the lobby (it made me feel like I was actually on vacation instead of being tied to my phone) and I loved all the terra-cotta tiles.

The bad things about this hotel:
-The stairs. Holy crap, there are a lot of stairs. We are young and in reasonably good shape, but every time we had to walk up to our room it felt like torture, especially after all the walking, swimming, and sight seeing we had done. This is not enough to keep me from staying here again, but be prepared.
-The bed. This bed was the hardest bed I have ever slept on. I like a hard bed, but this bed was a little like torture. I really think that all the positives out weighed how hard this bed was, but just barely. If I went back, I think we would plan on going to Wal-Mart and buying an overlay.

Overall, we had a lovely, romantic trip, we loved this hotel, and I would highly recommend this, especially if you can get a good deal!

Room Tip: Get ocean view if you can, highly recommend the honey moon suite!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elshad
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My mom and I LOVED this hotel and would absolutely stay again. Let me be clear: this hotel is not a luxury resort. The breakfast is pretty much the same every morning, the (free) wi-fi is limited to the lobby, the AC units can be loud, and the bathrooms have open slatted windows that make it open-air. It certainly has its quirks! If you're going to book this hotel, you have to be honest about what is important to you. What we wanted, and enjoyed most, was the feeling that we were staying in a guesthouse. The staff members knew us by name (one even recognized us on the bus into town and offered to help us find the right stop), and always tried their best to make sure we were comfortable.

We also loved that this place wasn't super crowded. On our first two days, we pretty much had the beach to ourselves (which meant that I had full access to the super comfortable beach beds!). Even when it was more full, I never felt like it was jam packed.

If you do go, make sure to check out Tacun right next door! There are also a bunch of shops right across the street to pick up sunscreen, snacks, water, or souvenirs.

The only reason I give this hotel a 4 and not a 5 is because I didn't think the beds were very comfortable (ours was SUPER firm), and because I was not super pleased with the bar/restaurant area. The food always took a really long time and wasn't really anything special.

All in all, for what we paid for the hotel, it was absolutely worth it and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No elevator, so try to get a room close to the main floor if you have trouble with stairs!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CaitCam
Reviewed February 18, 2014

ok...Not sure about these negative reviews??. We were just there and it was fantastic. It was quaint and cozy. The staff are wonderful and so accommodating. Internet is only in the lobby. Pay a little extra and ask for an ocean front room. The furnishings are dated but everything is clean and fresh smelling. Make sure you tip cleaning staff and reception people. The location is great. The Plaza mall is across the street and there are a couple atms...(use north one if you want pesos). The Isla Plaza mall is only a short walk down the street and we went there a few times. They have a small aquarium and an entertaining dolphin show. If you want to get to Wal-Mart in downtown, just take the R2 bus. You dont need a car in Cancun. We enjoyed our daily breakfasts.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view room
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If I could rate this hotel as no stars then I would. The only good thing is the location apart from that it's awful. What they put on their website is false advertisement. The rooms are nothing like that. The service is appalling and breakfast lacks tea and any ordinary condiments you would find in a normal hotel. You can wait for more than half hour for breakfast regardless of the fact they only have to serve 6 tables or so. You try complaining but it makes no difference because they don't care. Don't come here!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel keeps changing names. I was here in late January and it was calling itself The Mia Hotel Boutique. It is now owned by AVALON RESORTS. THIS HOTEL DOES NOT EVEN HAVE INTERNET IN THE BEDROOMS.
When I arrived the hotel was half empty and I was still unable to check into my room until 3pm. Late January with the Christmas tree and decorations still up. A couple of nice staff members but the rest were totally disinterested. There were broken glass panes in the door of the dining room which were never fixed, just taped up.
My room was damp and depressing. I don't think it had been decorated in 30 years. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. With bed linen that didn't fit. It reminded me of a student bed in the 1970's.
There is no choice at breakfast. Take it or leave it. No napkins in the restaurant. No top up of coffee (which was bad anyway). The breakfast experience is downright depressing.
This was a rather depressing hotel experience & I chose to spend as little time as possible in the hotel.
I chose this hotel as I like boutique hotels more than the big impersonal resorts, but ended up spending all my time at a large resort close by as this hotel was depresssing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo