“Good value for the money”
Review of Mia Cancun

Mia Cancun
Ranked #103 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Cary, NC
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I made a reservation for a 1 bedroom suite in this hotel at VacationStoreMiami.com I repeatedly asked to make sure we'll get a room with ocean view. 3 days before departure I called the hotel and a very well English-speaking girl at the front desk assured me that all rooms like one I've reserved are ocean view rooms. As you've already guessed, when we arrived to the hotel at 11pm we were told that there are no vacant ocean view rooms - our reservation did not have a note about our request. They put us in a room with a king-size bed (305), where my wife and our son slept this night, and also gave me another small room (204 B) so I could sleep too. On the next day they gave us an ocean view room (205)- even 2 bedroom room instead of 1 bedroom that I've reserved. Every room (I think) has a Jacuzzi on the balcony - very nice, but ... don't expect these things to work as the Jacuzzi you know. The hotel is obviously dated, air conditioning barely worked in the bedroom where I slept with my wife, no a/c in the lobby, where wireless internet (free) and a billiard table are, and hardly a/c in the restaurant. Also, our bed was strangely short: I am barely 6 feet tall, but my feet were sticking out from the mattress. Mattresses and the pillows are very hard, but surprisingly speapable - we spelt pretty good on them. The building is very beautifully painted, it is very authentic - all beds and shelves are from concrete, the staff is incredibly helpful and do anything in their powers to make guests happy. The hotel is at least twice closer to the beach than other giant hotels on the strip. Since the hotel is small, the staff knows by face pretty much all the guests, which makes you feel at home. Any problem you report is getting attended immediately. Almost all the stuff speaks pretty sufficient English..
When we arrived to the Cancun airport at 10pm tired after 2 flights and super-tight customs procedure, some people in the uniforms literally jumped on us offering us a taxi and a breakfast ... We asked a few times "is it a time-share presentation?" and every time they (Juan Jose - very much looking like Jet Li, and his manager) told us "No, there won't be any presentation". However, they offered along with a taxi and this free breakfast discounted tickets to any popular attraction there. We told we are planning to go to Chichen Itza - they showed us a brochure offering Chichen Itza tours for $110 per person and told us they can reserve this tour for us 3 for only $40 - some kind of government tax. Well, this looked exactly like time-share presentation which we once swore not to go to anymore, but this time, we've decided to take their offer, especially because J.J. swore that there won't be any presentation. Of course, it was that presentation. But ... the hotel (Villa del Palmar) looked so beautiful, and we had nothing much to do, we've decided to take a tour and listen to the presentation - not to buy, but to look at it even closer. Our sales guy, Andres, was incredible - perfect English, nice personality. very interesting man. Yes, there was usual pressure - not from Andres, but from his manager (an American lady, I forgot her name) and than from her manager (Raul), but my wife was strong :) Even though while we were in that room with other people listening to our guides, at least 5 times there were applauds signifying that people bought time-share.
After my wife saw this brand new luxury hotel, she could hardly be in our Avalon Baccara.
There is a restaurant in Avalon Baccara, but also less than half-a-mile walk to the left of the hotel is very nice La Isla plaza with many shops and restaurants, and 300 feet to the right side from the hotel - Outback SteakHouse and Bubba Gump.
The famous Market 28 is not worth all that fuss - a bunch of little souvenir shops in a very dumpy surroundings. The Walmart on the other hand - is great! It has some souvenirs too, and, of course, cheaper than in any souvenir store we saw. The Applebees right in front of the Walmart is great: we ordered juices - they made them from the fresh fruits, with a little pulp, cold - in the hoot noon it was fantastic! Especially in comparison to the Italliani's at La Isla plaza, where all the drinks are from the cans and bottles: no beer on tap, no coke from kegs, no freshly brewed ice tea.
Now, the tour to Chichen Itza. You can easily get this tour at $40 per person, and even 2-3 bucks cheaper if you negotiate hard enough. However, 2 hour ride on not the best bus to "cenote" (the whole with water), than very mediocre lunch, than 30 minutes ride to the Chichen Itza itself, a short (30 minutes) fast spoken lecture from the tired guide under 90-95 Fahrenheit sun, than they leave you for 2 hours for the vultures - people who literally walk after you trying to force you to buy their stuff, including little kids, 2-5 years - awful ... There is the main pyramid, the field for their ball game with 2 rings on top of the walls, a couple of other smaller buildings and a "cenote" - water hole in the ground. 12 hours - the whole day for this ... I am not sure at all that this was worth it: not the money - the time and the sweat and the humiliation from the solicitors.
We were staying in Zona Hotelera - a strange place: as you drive or walk along the beach, beautiful hotels are neighboring with uninhabited buildings or with complete ruins. Very different from what we used to see in Myrtle Beach and in Atlantic Beach. EVERYBODY wants tips and not shy to ask for them. Solicitors are everywhere (outside of Zona Hotelera) - on the streets in the city, in every tourist place like Chichen Itza or Xel-Ha.
The beach is nice (I mean - the sand), but the water is very dirty, full of weeds, and the waves are so strong that not every time we could stand them.
Bottom line - I do not think I will come to Cancun ever again.

Room Tip: Make sure that on your reservation ALL your requests are clearly printed!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Barretos, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Good location, close to malls, walking distance to several restaurants, beautiful design and architecture, charming swining pool.
The room was really big, with a spacious wardrobe, enormous bathroom, really good balcony. Clean sheets, good bed.
English spoken in the reception and swining pool but not by the mades.
No elevator (we were aware of that beforehand).
However: stiff pillows, few matress. But, the most problematic issue happened after we checked out and realized that we forgot our beach suits in the balcony drying. We were told that there was nothing there, then we pressure the receptionist who was trying to help us despite the efforts of all mades.
Then my wife´s siut was recovered but my was deemed lost, "gone with the wind" as the made, who secretly entered in my room just after we left,said. She refuted saying that she had not entered, even with the electronic key code stating that she used her key to access our room five minutes after we left. Then she said that she entered with me! even after I said I have never seem her before.
Abstracting it all: we lost some clothes and They have lost all brazilians costumers that I possibly talk to.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way home. We had been traveling elsewhere and needed a place close to the Cancun airport for our early flight out. We wanted to avoid the large, obnoxiousness of many of the Cancun beach-side hotels. We must have been upgraded because we had a huge room with a king and a living room/dining room and kitchen. Our huge balcony overlooking the lagoon had a little jacuzzi tub. The jets didn't work, but it didn't matter! All we booked was a queen sized bed, basic room, so we were pleasantly surprised! Our air conditioning was a bit out of control, either full blast and really loud or off, which was a bit too hot. The pool and beach area were a lot quieter than what I know from previous visits to Cancun. Overall it was a nice experience.

Room Tip: check on the condition of the A/C first thing!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Folsom, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Avalon Baccara Cancun is a former Mexican Hacienda turned into a 27 room hotel. This is what travel is about - the cultural experience, to be surrounded by the aesthetics, charm and hospitality of the region you are visiting. The hacienda is split level with rooms below and above the lobby level. Be forewarned that as this was a former "home" there are no elevators. If there are mobility issues or health issues regarding stairs, this may not be the best choice. 51 stairs from the lobby level to the highest room (405B - which was my room); really was not bad at all and good exercise. Let the hotel know in advance if you need a lobby level room (or one close to it) and they are very accommodating if there is availability. The flooring is all Mexican tile.. a bit worn in areas and showing its age, but that adds to the charm of the Avalon Baccara. 51 stairs to from the lobby to the highest room (405B - my room) which really was not bad at all. Rooms all have private bath and are either studios with mini kitchenette, one or two bedrooms. Room categories and views vary - you can request a specific view when making your reservation.

The staff is extremely helpful and Juan Carlos (bellman) is absolutely a gem. Juan, the poolside bartender concocts a wonderful refreshing Mango Tango along with a plethora of other drinks. The hotel does have an onsite restaurant and is in the throws of re-opening their street level restaurant currently undergoing some changes. Room Service menu is available 24 hours and there is a poolside menu as well. Right next to the hotel are two small, family run eateries... more taqueria style than restaurant since there is no indoor dining... use several small tables outside on the sidewalk... GREAT local fare to be had.

Hotel provides the basic room amenities... very mini - shampoo, lotion, soap, etc. Towels could use a change (they have definitely been well used - some frayed edges, etc) HOWEVER, they are clean and serve their purpose. Color TV in each room though they are the older type, not the modern flat panel... but who comes to Cancun to watch TV anyway, right? Free wi-fi is available in the lobby area, but not in the rooms. Each room has a small safe for which you will be given the lock and key.

The Avalon Baccara offers both EP rates (no meals) as well as an all-inclusive rate plan. I never recommend all-inclusive because you then do not get out to explore the regional cuisine or experience the destination for what it truly has to offer. There are so many top-notch places to dine at from the hole-on-the-wall locals' favorites to the 5 star gastronomic establishments. Of course it's personal preference but it's always nice to have the option of EP or All-Inclusive.

For the location, price and charm this hotel cannot be beat. If you are looking for luxury or full-service pampering there are the mega hotels which would better suit your needs. The Avalon Baccara offers a taste of Cancun from the local perspective. I will be returning and hopefully sooner than later!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the 200s - they really do not have a view. Most all other rooms either have a vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Avalon Baccara is a vibrant beach front hotel along one of the nicest stretches if beach in all of the Cancun area. The converted mansion to hotel is the most impressive structure visually of all the hotels in the area. Walk along the beach and check out all the surrounding resorts, None compare the the bright charm the Baccara exudes. The entire building is cement and beautiful tile work. No wonder this building is still intact after several hurricanes over the years. Many surrounding hotels have been damaged during past storms. The Baccara is solid as a rock. It may not be the most modern although it is well maintained and very clean. The best part is it is super intimate, quiet and on the same beach as the big boy all inclusives. Our room had a beautiful ocean room with a large balcony with a private hot tub. Be sure to eat some tacos at Habaneros directly out front of the property.

• Stayed June 2012
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I picked this hotel because I wanted to find a hotel with some Mexican character and did not want to be staying in some 1000+ roomed hotel where you were a number (if they could remember you) rather than a name and I could not have picked better.
The location was perfect - right on the beach, near the bus stop and very close to a couple of Malls. The staff were lovely and I would like to especially mention the hotel manager who was completely genuine, friendly and very helpful.
The rooms are basic though spotless. Bed, shower, kitchen all good. The hotels either side of this lovely hotel have you lined up like sardines on the beach whereas some days we were the only ones on our hotels sun loungers so felt like we almost had our own beach area. Pool bar staff lovely too. A personal touch given throughout our stay.
We had some lovely meals out and went to Downtown Cancun to get away from the sterile environment of the hotel strip. Eating out rather than taking the all inclusive deal may be more expensive but we felt we were helping the local Mexican economy. All the big hotels are American owned (apart from one!) and all the money goes to the US rather than supporting the local economy which really is a problem for the Mexicans.
Along this stretch of beach the turtles come to lay their eggs at night. The eggs are protected by all the hotels. However the poor mother turtles (once they have laid their eggs!!) have to then watch their eggs being taken from the nest in front of them and are then subjected to awful tourists taking pictures, patting them, crowding round them - stopping them from being able to make a swift departure back into the sea. The selfishness or stupidity of the tourists is UNBELIEVABLE and really really upset me. To be able to sit back quietly on the beach at night with the light of the moon showing the turtles making their incredible natural journey should be enough for people but it isn't and I wish the Mexican government and/or hotels would do more to protect the mother turtles. One day they may stop coming then where will the 'turtle tourism' be?!
Visit the Mayan ruins is a must. Chitzen Itza - wow! Tulum - pretty but presented for the tourists, Palenque - get the overnight bus - you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that are beach side facing. We were on the main road side but that was still fine and...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a small and quaint hotel in Cancun. I loved the architecture and beautiful bright colors used in the decorations. We stayed in a room on the 4th floor and it was very small. It had a nice view of the ocean but I sometimes felt claustrophobic. The showers have good pressure and we had plenty of hot water.

The beds are extremely uncomfortable. They are very, very hard. My husband ended up with a neck pain. They should consider changing the mattresses.

My husband called to get a cup of ice and they charged him for it. We were not happy for that. Most hotels give you free ice.

The beach is beautiful and very relaxing. This was the highlight of our stay as well as the pool. The restaurant is mediocre. You are better off walking to one of the nearby restaurants.

Other than that, we did enjoy our stay at Avalon and if they change their beds we would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get one of the very small rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple