We were subjected to the most compelling sales pitch ever about a decade plus a ago that resulted in us buying a time share at the Avalon International. I swear, the most persuasive salespeople alive do not sell cars - used or new - life insurance or snake oil, they sell time shares.
The only reason that's important is we've been coming to this property for over a decade so I think I can accurately describe the hotel now called NYX.
It's Cancun, it's Mexico, it's a 3 star hotel with a large standard deviation (although the Russian chap I met at the bar, who's also been a member here for about the same length of time as we, thinks that's very generous - 2 stars at most according to him). What do you expect to get?
It would have been nice to have been informed that the property changed hands and the deal we signed up for, you know, the one that included 3 properties in Cancun and others in Costa Rica and Acapulco, was kaput. But we didn't, so that should tell you something right there about how this place is run.
In reading the other reviews I'm amused by how staff responds to the negative one - "we appreciate the points and we'll make sure we address them" sort of thing. Hogwash - the mold described in the person's bathroom back in February is still there in mid-March and it's so thick on the window ledge in the shower you can carve your initials in it, and I have.
The internet is so bad I'd rather have dial-up. But it is free now, so we have that going for us - see the title of this post. You can't access the 'net from your room, you need to be in the lobby or by the pool which, luckily, we can by sitting on our deck, but the instant we go inside the room the dismal connection gets dismaller (not a word, even in Spanish, but should be). I, too, was told I couldn't charge lunch to my room on Saturday, even after I'd been doing it for a week - I had to go to the front desk and have them run my credit card, again, because a new week had started. Seriously?
There are additions to the hotel since our last stay 2 or 3 years ago - the pool side restaurant is a huge improvement but the menu gets stale after a few days. The palm trees on the beach make the fantastic view much more beautiful. The restaurant off the lobby is mediocre on a good day, but the $40/day for all-inclusive meals is OK; the best part of eating here this trip is going out, for sure. See my review of Tacun, a hole-in-the-wall restaurant about 300 yards north of the hotel, probably the best thing to happen to us this trip to Cancun. Or hit La Distilleria, about a 15 min walk south - great place for great Mexican dinner.
The pool is nice, the beach IS spectacular and the attendants are always willing to help with chairs and towels and umbrellas. They work so hard and probably make so little. The rooms are still dark, the lighting is....well, Mexican, the amenities are simple, the cable spotty. You get ONE packet of coffee for your room coffee maker and if you want more, go ask management.
I have not gotten my money's worth from the time share, and I don't think I will because I'm not sure I'll ever come back, but that's my fault for getting sold the first time.
You get what you pay for, and if you can afford more, spend it elsewhere. But the beach is spectacular.
We're here for another week, so it will be entertaining to read management's rote response to this review. But if they do read it please note this - I'd really appreciate it if you'd scrub the mold off the sill in my shower (picture, attached) because it's pretty skeevy, even if I can monogram it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a fabulous hotel located just in front of the beautiful white sand beaches and turquoise waters that have made Cancun a preferred tropical paradise for thousands of tourists each year. NYX HOTEL CANCUN is a resort with 163 rooms and suites with an excellent location in the middle of the famous Hotel Zone of Cancun, in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. NYX HOTEL CANCUN is ideal for families, couples in love, weddings and incentive groups; we are offering a NEW meeting room. Our group coordinators will work with you to create the perfect menu and select the perfect setting for your event. This hotel provides a friendly and professional service, comfortable rooms, international cuisine, and beach activities among others. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your NYX Hotel Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avalon Grand Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Avalon Grand Resort
- Cancun Avalon Grand Hotel
- Avalon Cancun
- Avalon Resort Cancun