“Small place”

Ranked #42 of 166 things to do in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: The past meets the present in this ancient Mayan structure located right in the middle of Cancun's Hotel Zone.
Reviewed July 17, 2018

It is a small place to see and probably would only take an hour and with the heat the day we went that was enough. We could walk there from our hotel. Very cheap. A good cheap outing which offers alot of pictures. The kids loved it because so many Iguanas I loved it because i got a kick out of all us totally wet with sweat. It seemed hotter at thre place then rest of Cancun. Maybge because of the sun hitting off the ruins and no shade.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,478)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"lagoon side"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

Good site to get a feel for larger Mayan ruins like Coban or Chichen Itza. It’s right on the beach in the middle of the hotel zone and will only take at most an hour or two.
It’s worth the trip then you can decide on going to a larger site which I would recommend

Reviewed July 7, 2018

These ruins are were only a quick 15 minute walk from out hotel, but I still wish we had taken a taxi because it is hot walk with almost no shade. We read a lot of reviews online that said to bring fruit for the iguanas, so we ordered fruit via room service before we headed out, only to find signs that said not to feed them.

Entrance is very affordable, and you can buy bottles of water for 10 pesos (50 cents USD). I would buy the water because it is very cold and the ruins are hot.

Lots of great photo opportunities, tons of iguanas. Be careful of the local bugs, under one of the shade areas I stepped on an anthill without realizing it and was stung pretty badly.

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

Small, quick walk, and feet serene as many tourists do not know of this hidden part of the hotel zone.
When the Spanish conquest occurred this port was destroyed.

Tips:
Take sunscreen, as there is practically no shade.
Watch for iguana poop, and then he iguanas too, they are everywhere.
Buy water from the lady inside the ruins, it’s freezing cold and only 10 pesos.
Take the bus there from the hotel zone. Only 12 pesos and you get to mingle with the locals a bit.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Really cool place just outside of hotel zone (about 10-15 minutes). My boyfriend and I didn’t want to travel to Tulum or Chichen Itza for our trip because we don’t like long car rides, so this sufficed for a small version of the ancient Mayan Ruins. It’s very inexpensive (about $5 per person I think it came to?) and you get to explore it at your own pace. There is an option to pay a little extra for a tour guide but we opted out. Although the little old man tour guide was so cute that we almost did do the tour! He gave us some interesting information before we started walking around.

Make sure you wear sunscreen as this place is almost entirely in the sunshine. We went earlier in the morning to try to do our exploring before the hottest part of the day hit, but it was still extremely hot. Definitely bring water as well!

We also took a couple bananas to feed the iguanas. You’re not supposed to so we had to be careful that the workers didn’t see us, but it was just so fun seeing all of the iguanas come running towards you when they saw you holding a banana. We really had a lot of fun with the iguanas!

A lot of people say to walk across the street to take a picture with the Cancun sign at Playa Delfines, but it’s a ridiculously long wait. Every family is taking 15-20 different pictures when it gets to their turn so it really takes forever. Too much time to wait in the sun! We ended up getting a picture with the same Cancun sign in front of Playa Langosta - no wait at all! Just a suggestion :)

Lastly, if you decide to take the bus (which is a great deal, only $1), make sure you take the RIGHT bus. I had read reviews that said to take the R1 or R2 bus... so we grabbed the R1 at a bus stop right outside of our hotel. But apparently (and maybe I’m just an idiot), there are buses going both ways down Kukulcán Blvd. The bus we took went the complete opposite direction of El Rey Ruins but because it was only our first full day in Cancun, we didn’t notice until we were very deep into Cancun. And this was the real city of Cancun - no tourists, no beaches, no shops. Just real Cancun residents all over the streets. Every time the bus stopped, taxi drivers and salesmen would try to get on the bus to tell us to come follow them and what not. It was really scary and our bus driver spoke no English, but he knew those guys were all no good because he kept closing the door on them and telling us “no”. He eventually stopped where no one was surrounding the bus and pointed to another R1 bus across the street and said “Zona Hotelera” which means hotel zone. So we very quickly got off the bus and ran across the street to get on the bus going the correct direction back to where we came from. My boyfriend and I really stuck out like sore thumbs in this neighborhood. We were so lucky that we had a decent bus driver who knew enough not to just let us off anywhere. The bus heading back to hotel zone passed El Rey Ruins, Playa Delfines, and basically everywhere else you may want to go for your trip. Instead of taking the bus right outside of our hotel, we should have crossed the street and got on that bus instead. We knew we wouldn’t make that mistake again! The bus system was actually a great deal and took us everywhere we needed for the rest of our trip. I just thought I would add this experience in here since none of the other reviews I read had any information about the buses going different directions. Again, maybe I’m just an airhead, but I’d rather add this in so no one else has this confusion. The situation could have potentially been much worse and dangerous had we not had a decent human being as our bus driver.

6  Thank Crystal M